Author Topic: Guzzi V8 anyone ?  (Read 2118 times)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Guzzi V8 anyone ?
« on: October 24, 2016, 11:59:43 PM »
I'm given to wonder in these days where manufacturers are fighting for market share, why Guzzi has not released a model between the V7 and the V9, displacing 850 cc's, with the simplicity of 2 valves per cylinder, and a re release of the original Le Mans colour from the early 80's.  I'm no marketing guru, but I would have thought about calling it the V8. Could it not be an anlarged V7 mill, or whatever the hell they thought they could manage, and have some styling influences based on the look of the Mk 1 or 2 Le Mans with technology to drag it kicking and screaming into this millennium. If I'm not mistaken (and I very well might be), the V9 is not setting the world on fire sales wise. I wonder if our Guzzi membership had the choice of a V9 bobber or whatever the damn thing is called or a V8 Le Mans with a softer sporting pretence than the old ones, which way would the penny fall? There's sure to be massive holes in my reasoning which I'm confident will be pointed out, but am I majorly wrong ?

beetle

Re: Guzzi V8 anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 12:21:01 AM »
Er, the V9 is 850 cc. :rolleyes:

pete roper

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 12:47:11 AM »
All rumours seem to be pointing towards an *Announcement* at this year's european show of a 'V7-III' or some such which will probably have that sort of architecture.  Who really cares what the capacity is? If it *looks* right, which seems to be the only thing that is important any more, all well and good. I hope it sells in its millions! Then maybe Piaggio might build a real Moto Guzzi again.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 04:01:42 AM »
Er, the V9 is 850 cc. :rolleyes:
Ok then let's have it 800. I just thought that it would have been an attractive proposition as a new model. I'm sorta thinking of the Kawasaki Zephyr that paid homage to the Z 900 of yesteryear. Most Guzzi owners seem to fall over themselves to get hold of a Mk 1 Le Mans when the reality is that they are harsh relatively underpowered by today's standards and somewhat crude, but we generally recognise them as beautiful because they have "character", and as such hold themselves higher than a lot of the beige offerings these days. Anyway, if both the V9 and the fictitious V8 were both 850 cc that would not have a bearing on whether or not the thing sold like hot cakes or otherwise.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 04:01:42 AM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 04:17:48 AM »
All rumours seem to be pointing towards an *Announcement* at this year's european show of a 'V7-III' or some such which will probably have that sort of architecture.  Who really cares what the capacity is? If it *looks* right, which seems to be the only thing that is important any more, all well and good. I hope it sells in its millions! Then maybe Piaggio might build a real Moto Guzzi again.
Well that'll be something worth a look. Beetle was right to roll his eyes in response to the fact that I didn't identify that the V9 is actually 850 cc's, what a gargantuan error ! However the guts is that I'd wondered if it wouldn't be worth a second look to a prospective buyer, more so than the relatively un inspiring offering that we've seen recently in the form of the V9.

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 04:48:01 AM »
why Guzzi has not released a model between the V7 and the V9,
Cause they are already very close :wink:

On the october number of "Motociclismo", Davide Zanolini, marketing and image director of Moto Guzzi, said that the priority now is to fill the hole between the V9 and the 1400cc big block.
It's already been pretty much estabilished that the new motorization will be used at first for the new Stelvio, the doubt is, if it will be presented at EICMA 2016 to be sold only much later in 1917, or it will be presented directly at EICMA 2017.

The V7 will have a performance increase receiving the heads, and maybe the displacement, of the V9.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 04:55:17 AM »
I say they just paint up a V7 and slap a Sport or a LM6 sticker on the side panels. That has seemed to work for them for the last couple of years.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 06:35:19 AM »
I say they just paint up a V7 and slap a Sport or a LM6 sticker on the side panels. That has seemed to work for them for the last couple of years.

:laugh: And throw in a pair of skinny jeans and some sort of steering lock so you can text while riding.

Offline lrutt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 09:12:24 AM »
got all excited when V8 was mentioned. Don't need more of the same, need something exciting IMO.

Still drool over the MGS-01
06 HD Sporty, 06 Tri Scram, 01 Duc M900, 01 Hon XR650L, 94 HD Heritage, 88 Hon Hawk GT, 84 Yam Virago, 82 Hon C70, 78 Hon CB750k w/sidecar, 76 Hon CB750k, 77 Guzzi Lemans, 73 Norton 850, 73 Hon Z50, 71 Tri Trophy, 70 Tri Tiger, 70 Hon CT90, 71 Yam RT1 360, 65 Hon 305 Dream, 70 Suz T250, 64 Hon CT200

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 09:29:26 AM »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

ozarksguzzi

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 09:43:48 AM »
Slightly off subject - but not really.
Ballisima just closed in Nashville. It was an exhibit of Italian concept cars of the 50's. Included was a Moto Guzzi V8 replica built using a spare engine. I included the script on the bike. Wish the photo's would do it justice but they don't. What a great example of slide rule engineering.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 09:46:50 AM by ozarksguzzi »

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 10:38:38 AM »
Darn, I thought this thread was going to be about the 8 cylinder bike...known to many as the V8.  With that said, it might be a marketing faux pas to bring out a model with that name and yet so far off the mark from the original.  That might be why the 850cc bike is called the V9 rather than something like V85.  Heritage used to be a big deal with Guzzi.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 02:15:25 PM »
Darn, I thought this thread was going to be about the 8 cylinder bike...known to many as the V8.  With that said, it might be a marketing faux pas to bring out a model with that name and yet so far off the mark from the original.  That might be why the 850cc bike is called the V9 rather than something like V85.  Heritage used to be a big deal with Guzzi.

Peter Y.
Yeah that's possibly a fair observation, it could easily backfire. Calling it a V8 to me was a slightly quirky humorous tease and Guzzi probably will never roll that way, but Can you see how the initial lure of a Guzzi that carries that title, has an instant sit up and take notice edge. Now what if it had heavy styling influences from the Le Mans with 21st century credibility ? Not as drippingly gorgeous as an MGS 01 perhaps but with a simple raw appeal that Guzzisti want. They have to build a bike that riders not just like but WANT and please do correct me, but is the V9 thing doing that ?

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 10:54:35 PM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here