Author Topic: where did a year go? Retirement pondering...  (Read 5175 times)

lucydad2

where did a year go? Retirement pondering...
« on: October 25, 2016, 12:24:11 PM »
All,

Celebrated one year retired on October 5th.  I note mileage on V7R and Triumph has gone up a lot:  more time to do what I want.  However the past year featured selling/closing/moving into new Villa.  And lots of family activity of various types.  Time flies.  I have also been taking classes, spending a lot more time with friends and reading, and with poodles.  Lost 18 pounds from healthier lifestyle.  Three times to Colorado and once to NYC with another Big Apple trip soon.  Summer was difficult with our Gulf Coast climate, and a very wet year (major local floods) and final decisions to place FIL into full time memory care (agonizing after series of major issues).  Mom continues to be the energizer bunny at 95, but incredibly fragile and needing periodic maintenance. 

Fall brings prime riding season, and outdoor activity.  We are going to landscape the yard:  combo of professional and our own dirty hands.  Seems my days are usually full with something.  Started volunteering at city Animal Services as a dog walker.  Did my orientation yesterday and signed up for two hours/week.  Might add to that, or help them with technical-communication issues if they ask.  Continue to take other classes, meditate and want to get back into creating art.

Now what?  2017 I hope to get out and about more.  Alaska beckons, so does WY and MT to see family and friends.  Would love to get back to Europe:  Iceland, Ireland and Italy are potential targets.  Take the family hopefully.

On motorcycles:  engineer a way to do longer rides without my body rebelling:  specifically my back.  V7R likely replaced.  Will go on serious search pretty soon.  Test ride new Triumph T100, and a V9.  Make the full Million Dollar highway loop (home).  Last two rentals in Durango I did part of it, and had a ball.  Rigging up iPhone navigation for both V7R and STRX.  Might spring for some bags for the STRX?  It is actually a pretty comfortable bike compared to the Guzzi.  Figure out how to pack a bike for camping, get focused.  Retirement focus can be difficult:  lots of options!!

Heck, finally got my retirement car.  Huge fun! Still breaking it in.  Want to take it to the Hill Country for a romp and see handling.

So, yeah retirement is very, very good.  Oil crash annihilated any possibility of consulting.  My career is finished, completely.  Thrilled not to be 55 with kids in college and looking for a job.  New neighborhood has great people:  big upside of move. 

I remember some excellent advice from forum members on retirement.  Thanks for that.  No regrets.  On to the next item:  figuring out how to get Miata garage door opener linked up.  So far, no joy.

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: where did a year go? Retirement pondering...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 02:20:21 PM »
It is amazing how busy retirement can be. I have been retired almost a year and a half and still loving it. Haven't got my retirement vehicle yet. If one can swing it, it is the only way to live. A bit light regressing back to childhood. :thumb:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 02:22:22 PM »
You sound like you're enjoying life lucydad, have a wonderful time on your bikes . On the topic of tours, if you ever want to come to Australia, contact me and I'll loan you the Norge if you want and you can see some of Oz from a Guzzi. That was a good post of yours, thanks... Huzo.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 02:53:11 PM »
It is amazing how busy retirement can be.
GliderJohn

Too true dat. :thumb:

Good read thanks LD. Enjoy that Miata. We certainly did with ours.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 02:53:11 PM »

Online Air-Cooled

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 09:19:57 PM »
I don't think retirement is so busy as much as it is that it takes us much longer to do the same things. ha!
1973 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport, 2016 Moto Guzzi Stornello, 2023 Vespa Primavera

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 11:05:57 AM »
Sounds nice LD. I'll have to enjoy vicariously as my retirement is a looong way off, having babies when your 50 can have that effect.
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 11:24:18 AM »
I've enjoyed retirement immensely, especially after selling the Boulder house. More time for skiing and other travel, and motorcycles are proliferating.

We've begun looking at properties in Paonia, with the goal of moving there next spring. Gail can have her art studio, a big garden, an orchard and some goats.  I can have dogs, cats and a multi-bay garage/workshop. We'll put up a yurt for visiting kids/grandkids. Nice little municipal airfield (7V2)  -- maybe I'll resume flying.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

lucydad2

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 04:40:59 PM »
I've enjoyed retirement immensely, especially after selling the Boulder house. More time for skiing and other travel, and motorcycles are proliferating.

We've begun looking at properties in Paonia, with the goal of moving there next spring. Gail can have her art studio, a big garden, an orchard and some goats.  I can have dogs, cats and a multi-bay garage/workshop. We'll put up a yurt for visiting kids/grandkids. Nice little municipal airfield (7V2)  -- maybe I'll resume flying.

TR,
Paonia is a cool little town in a wonderful part of Colorado.  I really like Delta and also Mancos areas.  Durango, my home town--has gotten too busy and rich.  One of my goals is to convince Ms. LD, when she is ready, to move off the Gulf Coast.  Heck I would be happy with a satellite town somewhere in the Hill Country with a bit dryer climate and some topography.  My guess:  at least 5 years out.  So, I thrive where I am, mostly.

Good weight and core and stretch workout at gym today.  Discussed futurism ideas with geek friend in AK. Long and fast poodle walk.  Going to "Yappy hour" at Animal services and mingle.  Thursday meeting a friend for Chinese lunch, likely Guzzi ride.  String of nice weather here, but back into high 80s.  I choose healthy options every day. 

Another global observation on retirement:  I rarely multi-task anymore.  I focus on what I am doing, and that is very healthy. 

By the way, the lightest motorcycle I ever rode was a Bultaco.  So there. 

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 07:06:13 PM »
Lucydad you're my retirement mentor!  I joined the ranks at Christmas 2016 and went to AZ for two months to decompress.   This year it's 3 months, I love avoiding snow!  My wife flunked on her retirement date and will again work with her AZ team while I "live the life".    My "retirement" car was driven out recently and stored by a friend.  I'll trailer out a cycle to ride to AMCA and Guzzi club events.  I've also looked into pet helping opportunities.   
I love not waking up in the middle of the night thinking about work.  I'm more relaxed now and can think out projects better then being rushed to get them handled before the next trip.
Retirement = Recommended!
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 10:15:10 PM »
Lucydad,

Sorry to hear that the V7 isn't good for you now, and that you're looking at a T100 or V9.
Consider that as you (and I) gain years, less is more.  Add lightness.  Rethink the V7.

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

lucydad2

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 09:17:48 AM »
Lucydad,

Sorry to hear that the V7 isn't good for you now, and that you're looking at a T100 or V9.
Consider that as you (and I) gain years, less is more.  Add lightness.  Rethink the V7.

Joe

Joe, you make a superb point.  Light is crucial for me.  The T100 is 470 pounds or so, a new Stone, etc would be 400 like my V7R.  I need a more upright geometry, and very much want ABS.  Intrigued with the V9 engine though and more torque.   One of these days after catching up from my current surge of retirement activity I need to test both a new V7 and V9 at our new Houston dealer. 

cheers,
Lucydad

Bill Hagan

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 09:27:26 AM »

I love not waking up in the middle of the night thinking about work. 

Perfetto!   :grin:

Bill

Offline craigclu

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 11:29:14 AM »
I'm a year or so into retirement, too.  Also, busier than expected.  Using a 8V Norge for a retirement device.  With a few tweaks, it's become a very comfortable rig for putting miles on.  A recent run down the Mississippi at Maiden Rock, WI:

He who is without oil shall cast out the first rod...”-Detonations 5:72.

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 12:44:49 PM »
Yeah well, some of us aren't going be able to retire until we're close to 70.  This is mainly due to Ex's and Not-Ex's who play as much as they can and not work.  So rather than take things easy I've decided not to go quietly into the good night.

And once I downsize from the house I designed, built and was going to retire in I'll be looking for a sidecar-guzzi.

My plus side is I have 4 wonderful children who more than balance their moms
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 06:24:20 PM »
I'm very jealous. It looks like i need to work at least two more years, unless something happens earlier that's not my choice. Then I'll be 60 and Cheryl 65 and we're done. Trying to figure out how much a year we need to live on is the fun part. Mainly want to RV and see the things we couldn't do on yearly vacations but I'd still like to have a permanent residence somewhere with cheaper taxes than Illinois.

Too many friends have died or had spouses die before they could live out their dreams. I don't want to be part of that group. I'd like a new bike but the current ones do everything i need them to except levitate into the back of the pickup truck when pulling the rv so i'll save the money for retirement. hopefully it goes as quickly as the last two years went.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Bill Hagan

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 06:34:16 PM »
I'm very jealous. It looks like i need to work at least two more years, unless something happens earlier that's not my choice. Then I'll be 60 and Cheryl XX and we're done.

I'm thinking that if Cheryl see you putting her age "in the clear" as you did, you won't get to retire but she will be spending what she collects on your life insurance.   :shocked:

Even if she pulls the trigger, most juries would acquit.   :laugh:

Just looking out for you.   :wink:

Bill

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 07:44:08 PM »
I turned 62 in August and I am still working full-time....and still traveling domestically and internationally...l ike a BIG DOG! :shocked: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:  Thankfully, I still have my health and the energy to carry on...

Why do I continue to work?!?  Because my wife is not working and we need the health care benefits....Retirem ent? 

They say never retire to LEISURE...but only to PROJECTS.... :cool: ( - - - the late Dr. Stephen Covey)

I think one needs to stay active both mentally and physically until the end.  Better to burn out then rust...and all that wisdom.  Even when I finally pull the plug (66? when Medicare kicks in...) I will continue to stay busy, etc.

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 08:20:16 PM »
I'm thinking that if Cheryl see you putting her age "in the clear" as you did, you won't get to retire but she will be spending what she collects on your life insurance.   :shocked:

Even if she pulls the trigger, most juries would acquit.   :laugh:

Just looking out for you.   :wink:

Bill

Least of my worries. 46 years ago, grampa told me that i'd never live to see the cubs win a world series in my lifetime.  I'm starting to get nervous.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:20:47 PM by Joliet Jim »
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 06:27:11 AM »
Another ORF (old retired f**t) here.

As soon as the house sells we'll become gypsies in an RV.  Yes, a toyhauler so the bike can come too  :)

We were going to move to SC to be near one of the kids but the daughter said she might be moving soon.  So, we are going to do one of those things we've thought about for many years and just be mobile.  Really see parts of the country we've just driven through or those places we haven't been yet.

Good luck to everyone on their plans.

And, yes, still busy with things to do.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2016, 09:53:48 AM »
Glad you are living large.  :laugh: Good time to retell a JN Smyth story. He worked at a govt. munitions plant. When he retired, his wife told him, "Good. Now you can take care of my cattle!". JN told me his reply: "F#@K your cows. I'm gonna ride my motorcycle!" I look forward to uddering those same words..... :embarrassed: :thumb:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Bill Hagan

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 10:26:35 AM »
Glad you are living large.  :laugh: Good time to retell a JN Smyth story. He worked at a govt. munitions plant. When he retired, his wife told him, "Good. Now you can take care of my cattle!". JN told me his reply: "F#@K your cows. I'm gonna ride my motorcycle!" I look forward to uddering those same words..... :embarrassed: :thumb:

Sure hope JN rode a Mooto Guzzi.   :wink:

Bill

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 11:04:46 AM »
JN, when I saw him the last couple years, rode a big Honda Goldwing pulling a camping trailer. Not sure if it was his only bike.

Not having to be at work, think about work, worry about work or suffer the damn commute to and from from (from was always the worst) is the biggest benefit for me. Having the flexability to ride/drive somewhere in the middle of the week when something comes up is nice too.

However; I'm starting to envy folks with single focus interests (like people that take out the bikes and tour, or the RV or boat etc.). My interests are scattered all over the place preventing me from spending too much time on one. Or perhaps spending enough time on one.
It would be nice to be able to pick one and run with it. I try, then "oh hey! look!" and I'm distracted by something else. Oh well.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

lucydad2

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 03:31:38 PM »
r said:

However; I'm starting to envy folks with single focus interests (like people that take out the bikes and tour, or the RV or boat etc.). My interests are scattered all over the place preventing me from spending too much time on one. Or perhaps spending enough time on one.
It would be nice to be able to pick one and run with it. I try, then "oh hey! look!" and I'm distracted by something else. Oh well

I am same.  And that is ok.  Always been a grazer or shotgunner instead of rifle shooter.  Lots of variety suits me.  Already had one group try and corral me into a full time gig with huge training, commute etc.  I declined.  A coach once told me:  if you sacrifice everything else, you could be a championship shooter (Olympic small bore).  Nope, not doing that.  Variety is the spice of life.

Like today:  took the V7R out and had a ball.  82 miles of glorious clear, dry and 85 degree weather.  Bike ran strong, just lovely.  Then Miata got a run to barber and first fill up.  Top down and perfect. Little bugger only took 8 gallons and was about 1/4 full.  That equates to over 35 miles/gallon, and just breaking in.  Found out the Miata was in Car and Driver's top ten.  Go figure. 

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 03:53:14 PM »

He is my hero.  Alas, ... I dream.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2016, 04:13:19 PM »
I don't have a single focus, but, several hobbies to choose from.  I vary as to which one is what I spend more time on.  I get really bored if I only have one.

A coach once told me:  if you sacrifice everything else, you could be a championship shooter (Olympic small bore).  Nope, not doing that.  Variety is the spice of life. 

Interesting.  I was offered a tryout at the Army Marksmanship Unit (I was a young captain).  I asked what would happen to my career if I was accepted.  It would be spend the rest of my career at Ft Benning.  Didn't take them up on the offer.  :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 08:11:22 PM »
Many interests (at one time, chess, fooseball, pistol shooting) I got good at but, especially with chess, it went from being fun to being like a job. Meh, I want to enjoy my hobby and not turn it into a job. It would be different if I could attain a high level of competence and still enjoy it. So far that has not been the case. "Luckily" to go to the next level would take better equipment - which I could not afford. Self limiting.  :grin:
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

oldbike54

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2016, 08:19:27 PM »
JN, when I saw him the last couple years, rode a big Honda Goldwing pulling a camping trailer. Not sure if it was his only bike.

JN still had 2 MG's , in fact , the wing was more or less relegated to barn duty .  Sometime around 2013 he had triked the wing , and ran it off the highway at some fair speed straight into a barbed wire fence , precipitating its retirement  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2016, 09:39:18 PM »
Last two Datil Rally's he was on a Wing, I don't recall it being a trike. I was impressed with his camper trailer.
Phoenix, AZ
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Jose Mendez

• Gosling
  • Clear Skies, Smooth Roads, Soft Seat
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2016, 03:42:27 PM »
I am on my 2nd year of retirement. With no hurry to go anywhere, I added 17,000 miles on my EV this past summer/fall. Quite the trip. Making plans for my next epic ride. The wife wont like it, but when the time rolls around she'll buy into it.

Enjoy God, Family, Friends, and the Road as much as you can.

Jose.

lucydad2

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2016, 10:11:24 PM »
I am on my 2nd year of retirement. With no hurry to go anywhere, I added 17,000 miles on my EV this past summer/fall. Quite the trip. Making plans for my next epic ride. The wife wont like it, but when the time rolls around she'll buy into it.

Enjoy God, Family, Friends, and the Road as much as you can.

Jose.

Exactly.  Hope to pile some miles on.  Need to extend my range. 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here