Author Topic: High idle in cold weather.  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Ion66

• New Egg
High idle in cold weather.
« on: October 25, 2016, 12:30:32 PM »
Now that the weather has suddenly turned from hot/warm, to near freezing, I've found something odd with my Breva 1200 Sport. The last few rides, in 3 to 5 degrees Celsius, the idle tends to sit at 1800. Turn the bike off, start it, and it settles into a normal idle. Ride it, even for an hour or so, and the idle is high. The dash is reading the right temp. Anyone else had this problem, and have a solution?
Port Perry, Ontario, Canada. 2008 Breva Sport.

oldbike54

Re: High idle in cold weather.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 12:42:11 PM »
 Could be a temp sensor problem , check the plugs for a rich condition .

Dusty

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 01:38:42 PM »
Metal stepper motor hanging maybe, pinch off big hose going to it from airbox on R/H side and see what happens.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

redrider

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 02:15:23 PM »
FI thinks the idle should be higher when ambient temp is low. I suspect the engine temp sensor input is lower down on the hierarchy and is ignored for idle setting. The Benelli does this at 50F and idles at 2500. I plugged the air supply line. Idle is perfect with no running issues.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 02:15:23 PM »

Offline Ion66

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 03:58:54 PM »
While I have owned and worked on about 30 bikes, this is my first EFI bike, and I've got no manual, or past experience with MG, or EFI. I can yank the tank on my Suzuki Bandit and have the carbs off and apart easily, but this is all new territory for me. To be honest, I don't actually know how to get the tank off of a bike with multiple hoses and no fuel tap. Hoping to download a copy of the manual soon.

Hard to diagnose some of this as it idles fine at first, or when re-started. It needs a run in the cold to misbehave. I can live with the high idle, and may have to wait till I take it into the dealer in the Spring for the 10,000 km service. Funny how something so simple on a set of carbs, becomes a pain in the butt with modern technology! Out of curiosity, I may try putting the bike outside till it's cold, then starting it up and see what happens.

I haven't checked the plugs, although the fuel consumption indicated by the dash seems normal. It's not being any more thirsty than usual that I can tell.

The other pain with the bike is that I have no service history. It's only got 5,600 km on it at the moment, and had 3,500 when I bought it. The guy I bought it from says the first service was done. Not sure if it was the first owner (He bought it in Quebec), or at the local dealer. The local shop has its stickers on the bike, but when I asked for the service history, the shop owner looked up the old owner, found a few oil filters purchased, got bored of looking further, and wandered off. I know the bike has sat for quite a while, but not sure of how much of that was un-sold, back in 08, and what was sitting in a garage. Wish I had more faith in the dealer, and more experience with diagnostics, stepper motors and big plastic tanks with no fuel taps!!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 10:57:55 PM by Ion66 »

pete roper

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 04:20:28 PM »
Yours is a 2 valve per cylinder engine yes? No need to worry about the caps.

Have you done anything to try and address the high idle issue? You haven't moved the throttle stop screw have you? One of the constant banes of my life is a 1200Sport 8V owned by a bloke local to me. It has a cold weather high idle issue but it has definitely been messed with somewhere down the line.

Also how many Km on it and when were the throttle bodies last cleaned thoroughly? Don't run the oil at 'Max' on the dipstick or it'll get pumped into the airbag and will foul the throttle plates causing all sorts of problems including high idle.

Pete

Offline Ion66

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 11:02:07 PM »
Yours is a 2 valve per cylinder engine yes? No need to worry about the caps.

Have you done anything to try and address the high idle issue? You haven't moved the throttle stop screw have you? One of the constant banes of my life is a 1200Sport 8V owned by a bloke local to me. It has a cold weather high idle issue but it has definitely been messed with somewhere down the line.

Also how many Km on it and when were the throttle bodies last cleaned thoroughly? Don't run the oil at 'Max' on the dipstick or it'll get pumped into the airbag and will foul the throttle plates causing all sorts of problems including high idle.

Pete

Thanks Pete. I was wondering about oil in the box myself, and thinking that maybe the thicker oil with cold temps may be messing with things in there. Again, I wish I had a service history for the bike. Once I hit 10k k/m, I plan on having the dealer go over it, or a local shop that does Euro bikes. The bike mechanic there is a guy who is an excellent Ducati mechanic, and a someone I vintage raced against years ago. It's tempting to take it in early for a valve check, air filter and air-box check too, maybe synch the throttle bodies.

Offline Ion66

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 02:39:11 PM »
Had the bike out in at freezing temps last night (Joined a curling league. How many Guzzi's go curling??) , and the idle was mostly OK. I put the bike outside to cool down to the outside temp before riding it. Not sure if that helped, or it's just random stuff.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here