Author Topic: California 1400 engine temperature  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Kjon

• New Egg
California 1400 engine temperature
« on: October 25, 2016, 12:51:24 PM »
Anyone here with a Cali 1400 & guzzidiag? If so, i’d be grateful if you could confirm what sort of engine temperatures you see when hooked up & the motor running. I think my engine temp sensor maybe out of spec & consequently causing running problems. Either that or its running hot.. When returning from a ride today i connected to guzzidiag & saw an initial temp of 132*C (this was after the engine been stopped for a few minutes while i connected up) this quickly rose to 140* & stopped there until it cooled. The ambient temps here are currently around 10*C so not high. Doesn’t seem right to me.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Re: California 1400 engine temperature
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 05:06:58 PM »
Is the fan working?

pete roper

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 05:16:07 PM »
It certainly sounds hotter than I'd expect but to be honest I haven't checked one. There is also the issue of soak back. the ETS sits in the base of the valley. When you stop heat from surrounding areas like the cylinders will conduct across to the case.

The real question is is the bike showing any symptoms of poor running? If not its probably fine.

Pete

Offline Kjon

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 08:18:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies. No the fan doesn't run but yes it is running badly, the hotter it gets the worse it runs. I pulled the sensor this morning & tested it against the references in the manual, it's certainly off spec. The resistance at 100*C is 0.481 (should be 0.204) 0.481 equates to approximately 70*C which would indicate its reading low. But, & there's always but isn't there. The sensor shown in the manual with the integral connector is not the same as mine. The one fitted to the bike looks different & has its own cable. So maybe those reference numbers can't be relied on?
I tried to order a new sensor but it appears they're on back order!  It could be weeks!..

Jon

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 08:18:08 AM »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 09:32:21 AM »
I would also check & make sure fan works and is not unplugged somewhere. Most 8V motors w/fan comes on at 125*C.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

pete roper

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 12:14:40 PM »
Have you checked the airbox drain to see if it's pumped a load of oil into it? If the airbox is full then the sensor in the plenum and the throttle plate may be contaminated and giving false readings causing all sorts of issues.

Pete

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here