Author Topic: Only $55. What a deal. I sent a check.  (Read 8765 times)

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
Only $55. What a deal. I sent a check.
« on: November 23, 2015, 06:10:44 AM »
Guzzi riders I'm talking about the 45th MGNOC National Rally being held in John Day, OR. June 23rd, 24th & 25th. Pre-reg is only $55 for demo rides/field games/bikeshow/self guided tours and more. Just getting to see old friends is worth the price of admission!

I send in my money early as I know it costs thousands of dollars up front to host a National.

I've been to all of the Nationals but one. John Day is tops, Elkader is #2, as everything is located within walking distance. And the noisy motorhomes ;have their own special place to park away from my tent.

For more info www.orguzzi.org.  See you there.

Tex

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Only $55. What a deal. I sent a check.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 06:38:23 AM »
Safari can’t find the server.
Safari can’t open the page “http://www.orguzzi.org/” because Safari can’t find the server “www.orguzzi.org”.

Please check your link.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 06:41:50 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline nosail

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 07:35:08 AM »
If anyone wants to stay in a motel you better try and find something now. I managed to find a room at the Budget 8 but my first,second and third choices were already booked.
Rick
2008 MG 1200 Sport in gay pirate black (but it's fast)
2011 V7 Racer #58 in black
2003 V11 LeMans (finally a red Guzzi)

Burnaby, B.C.

jlburgess

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 10:47:06 AM »
I was there at the last one.  Good times!  Pete even made it there from Oz and tuned my Griso with a top secrret map.  :bike-037:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 10:47:06 AM »

Offline toolittletime

• Gosling
    • mysportgear.com
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 11:55:44 AM »
Safari can’t find the server.
Safari can’t open the page “http://www.orguzzi.org/” because Safari can’t find the server “www.orguzzi.org”.

Please check your link.

Link doesn't seem to work ???
X-MSF Instructor
MGNOC 22710
12 Norge
2002 Cali EV
74 Eldorado

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 12:34:20 PM »
Location, location, location. That alone rules out the chances of the majority of Guzzi people from going to a national rally. I don't ever think a national should be held in a far corner of this very large country. I'm sure it will be great for those who can find both the time and money for such a trip.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 12:38:47 PM »
Location, location, location. That alone rules out the chances of the majority of Guzzi people from going to a national rally. I don't ever think a national should be held in a far corner of this very large country. I'm sure it will be great for those who can find both the time and money for such a trip.

Wymple, you're a wimp alright, unless you just don't get enough time off to make it.  Your loss.   This will be my 3rd time there.  :tongue:

Offline Gary Jenkins

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 12:44:16 PM »
Ken,

Thanks for the post. I checked the website and indeed am currently having trouble getting into it. I have sent a message to our web master and he will take a look at it. We have recently been making some changes, so maybe it has something to do with that. Please be patient ya'all.

I look forward to seeing you all in John Day in June 2016!

Gerri Jenkins
aka MamaGuzzi

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 01:03:14 PM »
Thank you Tex for the reminder.   I plan to go.   

Can you recommend good routes from the Terrell/Lindale area to John Day?
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline cj750

• Gaggle Mentor
  • "Viva tutte le cose Italiane"
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 02:47:16 PM »
I should know better, but I'm going to be a contrarian here.

I've been to a total of one National Rally (admittedly NOT at John Day, so things may be different there) but the experience didn't leave me eager to attend another.

For my $55.00 (or whatever it was that year.) I received, along with my "official" attendee status, a lapel pin and coffee mug, and a "goody bag" of donated material. Camping was extra. Food was extra. Beverages (water and soft drinks) were extra. T-Shirts were extra. There were no demo bikes or organized group rides.

I realize events are what you make of them, and it was fun to see the other bikes that were there and visit with other riders. But that didn't involve any effort or expense on the part of the organizers. The whole thing felt like a huge rip-off, with 10% of the cost going to buy trinkets to give back to attendees, the other 90% going into the organizers pockets. If there were thousands of dollars of overhead expenses, I'm honestly at a loss to understand what they were.

So, I'm asking sincerely, and not snarkely (is that a word?): How is $55.00 to attend a national rally "a deal"?)
Then again, when I was watching Predator I didn't think two members of its cast would become governors, either. So you never know.

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 05:18:27 PM »

I've been to a total of one National Rally (admittedly NOT at John Day, so things may be different there) but the experience didn't leave me eager to attend another.

For my $55.00 (or whatever it was that year.) I received, along with my "official" attendee status, a lapel pin and coffee mug, and a "goody bag" of donated material. Camping was extra. Food was extra. Beverages (water and soft drinks) were extra. T-Shirts were extra. There were no demo bikes or organized group rides.

I realize events are what you make of them, and it was fun to see the other bikes that were there and visit with other riders. But that didn't involve any effort or expense on the part of the organizers. The whole thing felt like a huge rip-off, with 10% of the cost going to buy trinkets to give back to attendees, the other 90% going into the organizers pockets. If there were thousands of dollars of overhead expenses, I'm honestly at a loss to understand what they were.

So, I'm asking sincerely, and not snarkely (is that a word?): How is $55.00 to attend a national rally "a deal"?)

Was that in NY by chance?

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 05:21:03 PM »

If that was the L.A Guzzi National, you got ripped off.  That 1 does not represent all the other Nationals.  Each 1 is designed and run by it's MGNOC state rep. that schedules it.   Some are better than others.  John Day is 1 of the better efforts as are the Elkader Iowa rallies. :boozing:  Been to both among many others. Skipped the L.A. National rally since I knew the state rep.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 05:23:22 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 05:31:35 PM »
Goose, I missed the infamous N.Y. national, if that is the one you are referencing, but have made most of them. Always had a good time. The Oregon nats are in an unusual geographical area of the country, definitely worth visiting. I know it's a (really) long trip for you..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 05:46:00 PM »
Goose, I missed the infamous N.Y. national, if that is the one you are referencing, but have made most of them. Always had a good time. The Oregon nats are in an unusual geographical area of the country, definitely worth visiting. I know it's a (really) long trip for you..

I recall seeing/riding back w/Goose @ the J.D. State Guzzi rally before their last Guzzi National.  I had to install a brake light bulb for him @ Burns, Or. because his fingers were too damn big to get in there to do it.   But he sure tried!   Finally took pity on him.  :grin:

Offline Silver Goose

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 05:46:56 PM »
Just a question: Can we have a photo page, to show the others the group at the rallys?  I know from time to tome pics are shown, but there is no central heading that can be addressed.

I fully realized photos take up a lot of room, so put time limit on the display.

Thanks
2007 Norge
2002 BMW K1200 LT
1959 Indian/enfield
1964 Norton
2008 Can Am Spyder

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 05:52:31 PM »
Just a question: Can we have a photo page, to show the others the group at the rallys?  I know from time to tome pics are shown, but there is no central heading that can be addressed.

I fully realized photos take up a lot of room, so put time limit on the display.

Thanks

All photos are hosted off site...

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 06:14:20 PM »
I am thinking seriously about this one..  I don't have enough time off to do it justice (yes I ruined retirement with an entry level job), but it would give me an excuse to tack a couple of 1500M BBG's to the growing IBA ride list. 
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline SmokyBC

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 06:39:31 PM »
Looks like this is the weekend following the BMW Chief Joseph Rally at the same location. I go to that most years, it's a great rally, with about 500 attendees, they fill the fairgrounds with tents. Enough vendors that you can get tires mounted.

I'll have just enough time to get home, swap bikes and head back down. John Day has good riding in every direction, you can't go wrong in this area.
Don Schmok
Salmon Arm BC

'73 Eldorado with Velorex sidecar
BMW K1600 GTL
'93 BMW GS/PD

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 07:25:00 PM »
I've been looking forward to this for over a year as it's within striking distance for me and would have been my first national. This year our annual family vacation was moved to the same weekend.   :sad:
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Hymes Inc.

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 08:13:01 PM »
Really was looking forward to this, completely out of the cards for me now though.  :weiner:

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 06:17:08 AM »
I don't have the flier in front of me, but from memory  :rolleyes: your 55 bux gets 3 nights camping, Friday dinner, Saturday breakfast and dinner, and Sunday continental breakfast. There will be field games and a bike show. Great riding all around the area. There were demo rides at the last nationals held there.. don't know about this year.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 06:33:31 AM »
I'd like to go but I doubt I can make it. It's about 2500 miles for me so I figure 3 long days to get there. Then I'd have to take the scenic route home if I made it out to the west coast. I kinda hate to ask for that much time off since I've  been out hurt at work for most of the last year and a half.

I'm not complaining about the location. I think the National Rally should jump around all over the country. I had a great time at the National Rally or Canadian friends hosted a few years ago. Every Guzzi owner should expedience a couple of National Rallys in my opinion. You'll definitely meet a great bunch of people.
North Carolina

Offline Daleroso

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 11:55:34 AM »
It's a good site & I'm looking forward to going. The rally should move around the country as there are simply to many riders to please them all all the time. The MGNOC newsletter is frustrating for me as my I-pad won't open it so that part of my dues is wasted but it's still important to support a national/international club as well as a local rally. As with all things & people & bikes, some are better than others.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 12:38:24 PM »
I'll be there via Portland and Sandpoint.  The rally fee as stated covers the meals and camping fee.  If you hang out at the campfire, beer is free. 

Guzzi Nationals are always large regional rallies.  Largest National is the Elkader one.  The choice of where is always discussed.  If you can do better.  Volunteer and hold one.  Ain't easy babe!  I always donate door prizes and help if needed. 

I was trying hard to being diplomatic when I was taking in the dinner tickets but some of you out there (not necessarily forum members) were "dicks".    Complaining to me about the rally, one guy wanted table service.  Another felt that he shouldn't have to stand in line. etc. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:48:42 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 12:53:19 PM »

I was trying hard to being diplomatic when I was taking in the dinner tickets but some of you out there (not necessarily forum members) were "dicks".    Complaining to me about the rally, one guy wanted table service.  Another felt that he shouldn't have to stand in line. etc.
[/quote]

Those are the participants who never have put on such an event and have no clue what it takes to do it.  All they know how to do is want more.   :rolleyes:

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2015, 01:54:39 PM »

I've never hosted a National, or a rally for that matter. But, I did host 11 campouts and here was the breakdown of them.  The campground owners charged people $7 per night for tent camping.  We spent around $800 on food, to serve roughly 60 people on average three meals (Friday night, Saturday morning and Saturday night). That made it about $14 per person worth of food, drinks, desserts, etc.  So, $14 for food, $21 for camping would have made it a $35 fee if I were to charge.  Luckily, donations covered the expenses all 11 years.  Any extra money that I had went into buying new coffee pots, extension cords, plates, spoons etc that would be used at the next campout.

All those "extras" at the National you mentioned would make me question the integrity too.  Tshirts usually are extra.  Camping, food and drinks should be part of the entry fee.

I'd venture a guess that hosting a full fledge rally for 300+ people, in a premium location, with a LOT better food than I provided could easily add up to $50 or so per person. I didn't give away any pins, shirts or mugs either.

$55 does indeed sound like a bargain to me.  I know how much work went into hosting 60-75 people with just my wife and I.  I can only imagine hosting 300+, and the manpower it would take.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 02:03:32 PM by Luap McKeever »
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2015, 04:52:18 PM »
All this talk makes the Datil Rally in New Mexico the deal of the century. Camping is included, several of the meals (not all) and a t-shirt. Nice raffle, great riding and options for camping and eating when the provided does not suit you (no break on the price but I won't complain).

If you read the flyer closely and the price does not seem reasonable (subjective I know) then vote with your wallet and don't go.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2015, 05:49:35 PM »
All this talk makes the Datil Rally in New Mexico the deal of the century. Camping is included, several of the meals (not all) and a t-shirt. Nice raffle, great riding and options for camping and eating when the provided does not suit you (no break on the price but I won't complain).

If you read the flyer closely and the price does not seem reasonable (subjective I know) then vote with your wallet and don't go.

Have to agree that the Datil Guzzi state rally is the most bang for your $ in all the rallies I've ever ridden to.  Really don't know how the rep. is doing it unless he's losing $ presenting it.  You forgot about the rally pin, awards and someone wins/rides home a MC w/o buying a 50/50 ticket, but just for being there.  :shocked:  This year it was a `77 Guzzi Convert. in excellant condition.   Usually about 50 of us show up  :thumb:

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2015, 05:59:03 PM »

Those are the participants who never have put on such an event and have no clue what it takes to do it.  All they know how to do is want more.   :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the person that started complaining at the last official Swamp Scooters.  She insisted that her rally fee entitled her to meals that met all her dietary demands. At the gumbo cookout she wanted gumbo that wasn't spicy, contained no red meat especially prosessed
meat, and was fat and  gluten free. 

Some folks were born to test your patience.

Folks who organize our Rallys, Campouts, NARs, Gaggles, Pie Runs, Open Houses, Garage Nights and Forums, deserve our utmost respect and cooperation and it certainly doesn't hurt to pitch in and help out both physically and financially. 

Dave
Galveston
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 06:00:33 PM by davedel44 »
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline Gary Jenkins

• New Egg
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2015, 07:53:00 PM »
Thank you all for your comments. The Oregon website is back up at www.orguzzi.org. There is a rally flyer posted there, and you will see that the rally includes three nights camping, Friday night dinner, Saturday breakfast and dinner, as well as Sunday morning continental breakfast to help get you on the road home. It also includes a rally pin, rider awards, field games, demo rides, and some of the most beautiful twisty roads in the country. We will have t-shirts and caps for sale as well. These are designed by my husband Gary Jenkins.

I have been the rep for Oregon for 19 years now and have hosted at least two campouts a year and a State Rally every other year and one National in 2010. It takes a lot of work and dedication to continue to host these events to bring Guzzi riders from all over the country together. I have kept the cost to a minimum and for all that is included I believe it is a good deal. So I hope to see you at the rally and we will have a great time for very little cost.

Your Oregon State Rep,
Gerri Jenkins
AKA MamaGuzzi

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here