Author Topic: New Member Seeking Advice re 2013 8V Norge  (Read 5269 times)

Offline Rev

• New Egg
New Member Seeking Advice re 2013 8V Norge
« on: July 01, 2015, 07:30:55 PM »
Greetings to all ... I am a new Wildgoose member seeking some feedback re the Norge 8V, in this case a 2013 model.  I am 65 years of age and currently ride a Honda CBR1100 'Blackbird' sports tourer, now finding the more 'sports' seating position a bit too strenuous for me on long trips away and have been in discussions with the seller of the Norge which has 18000kms on the clock.  My son rides a 2010 Guzzi 'Griso' and just loves it which has created my interest in the Norge.  Unfortunately I gather here in Australia the Norge is no longer imported since 2013 and the MG dealers I have visited and spoken-to do not speak all that well of the Norge, saying it was not popular at all which is why the importer stopped bringing them in.  One dealer today says he has just the one Norge and it was on the floor for 4 years!  He basically 'bagged' the Norge and said they were no-where near as good as the Yamaha and Kawasaki sports tourers.  I can't even locate a Norge in order to test-ride one to know whether I should proceed with buying the one presently for sale.  Can I please get some feedback from members who own the Norge 8V?  Have you had a good run with them?  Have any members been Japanese bike riders and switched to the MG's, and can you comment on why and how you feel about having made that transition to the lower torque and "less smooth" feel of the MG's?  Many thanks to all ... Rev

Offline sbaker

• Gaggle Hero
  • Piaggio Stock Holder
Re: New Member Seeking Advice re 2013 8V Norge
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 07:45:11 PM »
Hi...

As a Norge owner/rider, both 2 and 4 valve models, as well as having ridden the other bikes you mentioned.. There is NOTHING those bikes can do that the Norge cannot.  Except reach 140+MPH.... If that is your requirement the Norge is probably NOT the bike for you.. If that does matter and 120 and below is good enough for you, then GO for the Norge!!
Sam
Dallas, TX

AGATT

Hey Check out my CD www.cdbaby.com/bakersam

Current
Norge Wing: White Squadron
Ducati 900ss

Previous
Griso Wing: Yellow Squadron (shot down 3/11)
2008 Norge - Red... fastest of the 2V
1975 Convert + Sidecar - Fun
2004 California EV Touring

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 07:48:12 PM »
Welcome aboard Rev. You have come to the right place to have your questions answered by experienced Norge owners. Unfortunately I am not one of them, but I to love my Griso. Best of luck on your quest.

kris

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 08:00:02 PM »
Well, I'm new to the Guzzi experience so I have little to offer.  I came off a Honda Goldwing and an F6B, both extremely smooth, comfortable and dependable.  I'm now on a 2014 Norge and love it!  Not as smooth, not as comfortable and I can't talk about the dependability as it's fairly new.  I think the Guzzi's are for someone that likes to be hands on with their bikes, which is one of the reasons I went this way, kinda of brings me back to my high school day's when you either learned to maintain/fix it or not ride.  Maintenance is simple(except for adding oil).  Probably the biggest problem is dealer support, just not many around, at least not where I live.  If you want a bike that feels like a motorcycle and not a turbine jet the MG's fit the bill.  Again, I have little experience but so far I'm smitten!   :thumb:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 08:00:02 PM »

beetle

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 08:00:19 PM »
I wasn't aware the Norge was no longer imported to Straya? Perhaps Pete can enlighten us. The 1200 Sport for sure is a dead duck, but the Norge? Hmm..

What part of our wide browned-off land are you in Rev?

Offline Rev

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 08:27:47 PM »
Thanks for the warm Wildgoose welcome guys and for the feedback.  'Beetle' my location in Oz is in Brisbane.  Spoke at length with Peter from Canberra who was most helpful and very generous with his time. Wish Peter's workshop was closer to Brisbane!  Will give an update if and when I move with the purchase of the Norge.  Meanwhile, best wishes to all!  Rev

Offline MLR

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 08:39:07 PM »
I have a 2012 Norge and just love it. Handles great, has plenty of power for passing - enough to make it fun without being ridiculous, cool sound-especially if you dig a touch of mechanical clatter to add to the music. Hard to describe the connection you feel with the engine through the throttle, immediate & visceral begging you to give it more, like you are in control of these glorious barely contained explosions propelling you forward. It's just a good solid bike that is fun to ride, no high tech bullshit to dilute the experience. One thing that seems to get over looked is that is by far the best looking sport tourer out there. I find it quite comfortable, but I think people expect it to be more of a plush touring oriented experience than it was intended to be. This is my first Guzzi, had it a little over a year now with 16,000 miles and I would call it pretty reliable so far, just be ready to do a little wrenching & tinkering now & again to keep it happy.

Vasco DG

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 09:22:20 PM »
Yeah, we had a long chat this morning. Unfortunately the Norge was discontinued in Oz in 2013 I think. No idea why as I've had several people pestering me abut them. In a couple of cases they've ended up buying left-over 1200 Sports instead.

One of the problems is that Queensland is very poorly served with dealers. Rev went to Brisbane Suzuki who basically told him that all Guzzis are shitboxes! I mean??? if you're going to take a marque on you'd think they wold at least try and sell them! The story is similar in most of the other shops as far as I can make out.

While the Norge isn't my thing they are essentially a great platform with the wonderful 8V motor that is shared by all of the 1200's. It has ample mumbo and once mapped up right is both smooth and economical. If you're after a bagged-up tourer they're a happy thing.

pete

canuguzzi

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 09:33:17 PM »
Get a Norge!

A few things I can relate since I have 1 2013 model.

The thing should be smooth and I mean really smooth. The nature of the Norge being a V-twin means you will know it is running but it will not vibrate your fingers, hands, feet, thighs or rear end at any sane speed.

You must, I repeat must insure the bike is properly set up and the state of tune is as good as it can get. When you sit at idle, the mirrors should be nearly perfectly still with just a hint of idle rumble in them. When you grab the grips, your forearms should not vibrate.

There will be the usual slightly to one side rock as the rpms goes up if you blip the throttle but I only did it once or twice, idle means idle not constantly blipping the throttle. It will idle at the correct rpm sedately and consistently.

Underway, the mirrors should be clear enough to read street signs on the opposite side of the road, crystal clear except under load above 7k but then you are usually looking forward.

At speed cruise, in the 4500-5500 rpm+ range, it is very stable, you'll not feel the engine in the footpegs nor the handgrips other than to know the engine is really running, it should be an all day comfortable affair thing.

The reason the Norge doesn't sell so well is because it is misunderstood by those selling them, probably by those making them and since most others are dependent on those two entities for information, misunderstood by most everyone else too.

To many people, sport tourer means sport with some touring thrown in. Then come the comparisons to the FJR, the ST1300, the various BMWs and the hot breathing Caponord, Multistrada and the like. These comparisons always come down to horsepower and the speed indicated at the end of a quarter mile.

The turn on my street and into the garage is a 1/4 mile. Not much of a tour.

The Norge blends the sport and touring so that they are one, not separate things tacked onto one another. The Norge will drone on a highway all day, stopping only for fuel and with the suspension properly adjusted and the seat of your choice, your ass will not be screaming at your face. It can do that the next day and the next. It can also spend all day going through twists and turns hour after hour and so long as you do your part, you'll not feel as though you're  on a toboggan and the downhill is packed with ice. It is sure footed, and responds very well to trail braking, something some bikes will take as a sign you want off.

It isn't light but then it does carry it's weight very well. It isn't like the Sumo wrestler where all the muscle is hidden away under the large girth but rather like the gymnast who happens to also lifts some weights. You don't really need to use much body language to get the Norge to move around it is squat on the road and will go where you point it.

It is sensitive to tire pressure so make sure that stays where it should.

I've found the Norge to be reliable. No show stoppers other than when the show stopped because the fuel gauge didn't read correctly. There is a notice out from MG about the fuel sensor and some zip tie that should be installed. Still, it can go bonkers on you and they do replace it after which all is well.

Bar riser are easy and inexpensive, there is a post on how to use common parts to make them up and they work as good as any others commercially sold for little more than $25 US.

There is also a post on making up a centrally located mount for GPS, Cell phone or what have you. No drilling, cutting, welding or anything like that.

If the seat is a bit too high for you, the factory gel seat is a nice option and for me at least, is an all day and do it again next day and the next day thing.

The Norge has enough power to do just about anything you might want. It can't match the top end of the FJR but then if you have a tail trunk and side bags on, why go that fast? From any speed to pass anything moving up to about 80 mph, getting around it is just a matter of a right hand twist.

The front lights are wonderful, the rear lights are among the worst I've seen on a motorcycle. Adding some LED lights to the tail trunk brace will do wonders. Someone here posted about the diodes needs to make that work if you don't want constant on LEDs (I have two rows, both low bright one high bright when braking so no diodes needed).

The heated grips are great, position three really toasts up the palms. The trick is not to wear heavily padded gloves and the heater works really well.

After many more than 30 different bikes including the Trophy, ST1100, 1100 Sabre, DL 1000 V-Strom, the Norge is my favorite.

I highly recommend the Norge.

jovato

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 01:15:32 AM »
I've had mine for about a year, and I echo everything that Norge Pilot just said.  I compared my 2013 Norge to brand new FJRs and Connies and I couldn't be more pleased.  Both of those bikes feel much heavier in city traffic.  The Norge is very maneuverable in dense city traffic, and then feels great chewing up the miles.  The transmission is great and the engine purrs.  After 1st, the gears are pretty tall, so it is very forgiving.  The Pirelli Angel STs are a perfect match, but proper tire pressure is a must.  Everyone, and I mean everyone, comments on how good it looks.  Front headlight is the best I have ever had on a motorcycle.  All controls and menus very easily accessible without taking hands off the grips.  Heated grips are excellent.  I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam and it fits me like a glove.  Shorter would be no problem.  Longer legs might need to adjust the pegs a bit.  At my height, the adjustable windscreen is perfect.  Just enough wind when it is down and virtually none when it is up.  More wind protection than you would think from the fairing (perhaps more than you would like).  Antilock breaks saved my ass in the rain once this year.  It is torquey down low like you would expect a v-twin to be.  I may be crazy, but it feels like the transverse mounted twin gives a gyroscope effect that makes the bike very stable in the twisties.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 01:18:23 AM by jovato »

Offline Rev

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 02:41:51 AM »
Gents (and ladies if applicable) as the new member looking at the possibility of purchasing an advertised Norge, but as a current Japanese bike rider I just can't find anyone or any dealer in my region (Brisbane, Australia) where I can get to test-ride a Norge.  I even drove 200kms return trip yesterday being told by a dealer that he had a 8V Norge in the workshop and to come and have a ride, only to go all that distance to be then informed that the owner might not appreciate someone else riding his bike (which I can appreciate) and to leave only having sat (in the rain) on the Norge!!  I have ridden my son's Griso with its stiffened suspension and somewhat different set-up generally, but haven't yet ridden a Norge, with its screen, slightly different seating and whatever.  Are there any members located anywhere near me in SE Queensland, Australia who would be prepared to allow me a short test-ride on your Norge so that I can decide finally whether to proceed towards purchase of one?  I would be very appreciative of the opportunity? ... Rev

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 07:13:06 AM »
Call em what you will, but I love my 8v shit box,, I'm sure you will feel the same on your Norge. Or is it a hooligan barhopper, I'm confused,

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 07:17:34 AM »
why can't you test ride the one you'd buy?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Vasco DG

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 07:48:32 AM »
why can't you test ride the one you'd buy?

Distance. The only ones seemingly for sale are several thousand Kilometers away. Welcome to Australia.

Pete

Lcarlson

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2015, 08:04:35 AM »
One of the bikes I recently traded for my Cali was a 2007 BMW K1200GT.  It was fast, smooth, torquey and well, kind of automotive. If you do a lot of long-distance touring, that is no bad thing, but I found myself grabbing the keys to my old R1150R a lot more often for most everyday riding. For me, in-line fours are just not that involving.

Offline Rev

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 08:42:20 AM »
You are so right Peter ... distance can be a big issue at times like these in finding the right bike!  Yesterday I wrote to an interstate seller ... "under more normal circumstances, locally, I would simply call-in, look the bike over and have a test ride and the rest would just take its natural course ... right now I need to make sure (by way of a prior test ride) that a Norge is what I really want." 

Thanks again to all those 'Goose members who responded today to my request for advice re the Norge.  As per my earlier post ... if any 8v Norge owner in the SE Queensland, Australia region would allow me a short test ride asap that would be just great.  .... Rev

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 09:12:03 AM »
  The Norge needs very little to become what may be considered in a Class of it Own.  Fortunate Beetle has solved one of those with the mapping that makes this bike perfect.  The other is swapping the suspension for items that work.  There are work-a-rounds for the front forks from a number of places but Matris makes a complete kit for reasonable amount (unsure of AU prices) and I would highly recommend Matris KE + ID rear shock.  The combination of suspension and mapping  is  truly unbelievable. Its all there, comfort, fuel mileage, power and handling.  It took a little time dialing in the settings.   I did a day ride of 460 miles three days ago and got the suspension right, rode the 42miles to work today (the long way) and never stopped smiling.

By the way I had a Kawasaki Concourse 1400 before the Norge and I never got comfortable on it. Had it less than a year.  That bike would beat me up on trips.  A brilliant engine though.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 09:14:47 AM by Waltr »
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline POP0404

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 06:02:37 PM »
Rev,

Shame you are not in Sydney - I would be happy to let you have a run on my 2011 Norge. I made the transition from a cruiser to a Norge and could not be happier with the bike. At 6'2" height I was a little worried about the comments regarding the height of the footpegs, but I have found the riding position very comfortable. Like you I had trouble finding one in Australia and ended up buying one that had sat a a dealer for 2 years for a good price. I am glad I took the risk and bought the Norge. For me it has brought back the fun of riding motorcycles that I had lost after owning Japanese bikes for may years, (no criticism of them, they do what they should reliably every day) but they were boring.

The dealer network is a little average in Australia but there are a couple of people about who really know what they are talking about/doing. To be honest the two times I got the bike serviced by a dealer it took longer to sort the issues post service than if I had done the job myself. I have found the Norge easy to work on and easy to set up. I am by no means a mechanic, but there are one or two quirks that once I understood were easy to sort (such as fuel quick disconnect and lower panel removal) thanks to some good advice from Pete Roper and the guys on this forum.

I do not understand the criticisms of the Norge I hear from dealers and others - It is a great bike to ride, a dream on the open road, comfortable sitting position, easy to work on. I would summarise the bike as an comfortable tourer.

I do not regret my decision to buy one and if I was looking to buy again the Norge would be at the top of my list.

POP0404

Offline Rev

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 09:25:48 PM »
Thanks Waltr and Pop0404 ... 'Pop' I too wish I was closer to Sydney right now, in that getting a 'test ride' of a Norge is proving to be very difficult.  Today phoned one of the local dealers I visited the other day and left voicemail message (3rd call) simply asking if I could contact one of his Norge 'service' customers to speak with the customer and maybe even get to arrange a short ride on his bike but no return call from the dealer.  The dealer was full of interest in me when it looked like I might be in the market for one of his other bikes, but apparently little or no interest now that I am simply looking to buy a privately owned MG.  You'd think that me having a son with a Griso and the potential prospect of future "servicing" opportunities for the Griso and my possible Norge that this MG dealer would show some interest in supporting me ... but "NO"!  Have phoned Moto Guzzi Australia 2 times as well over the last 2 days and no return call either.  Not very impressive for Moto Guzzi!   ... Rev

Offline Rev

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 05:08:48 AM »
Update for the time being re all of this 'Norge' business >> Mid next week I'm hoping to go interstate to check-out a 2 year old Norge with a view to potentially buying it and riding it back to Brisbane if it looks and feels like the bike I've been looking for.  Unless I get to test-ride a Norge before I go down to Sydney this trip down next week will be my first experience on a Norge.  Thanks to all for your feedback and advice to-date. ... Rev

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here