Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Post-2015 RAM clutch and full profile bolts
« Last post by yackee on Today at 04:15:26 PM »
An in-the-weeds question: for those of you running a recent-year RAM clutch, the one that came with the low-profile socket-head bolts (the ones that attach the flywheel to the main bearing), have you tried regular-profile bolts, and if so do they interfere with operation of the clutch? Asking because of difficulty getting replacement low-profile bolts. Thanks for any input...

Finally home. 800 miles total. I’m glad I got the v85 really beat the v7 for long distance even as much as I like the v7.

General Discussion / Any V85TT'ers use the Givi D8203ST
« Last post by dave1068 on Today at 02:46:52 PM »
Any V85TT'ers have the Givi D8203ST windscreen? it looks tall and curious for those that have it, do you see thru it or over it? Plus a pic would be nice to see it for reference. TY
General Discussion / Re: Diode Replacement-No power to ECU
« Last post by guzzisteve on Today at 02:22:11 PM »
I'm on a Quota lately for work. Haven't put a batt in yet, so .  All the earlier FI have that diode. Now you found it an issue, replace it if you can't fix it. Electronics store may carry it, if you could unplug it would be nice to take it in. Otherwise, snip snip.

I haven't had to deal with one yet.
General Discussion / Re: 2003 EV rear shock adjustment
« Last post by drdwb on Today at 01:01:47 PM »

I can spin the chrome collars multiple times around with no measurable difference in height, not sure how a tool grabs the inner collar as I can’t see any indent that it would get into.But it clearly indicates with arrows soft or hard.

Thanks for responses. Big Biker, I had air shocks on  Yamaha XS 11, which the hack came off of before mounting to EV, they were great,and very adjustable. I may look at that, but again Guzziology recommends being very careful of replacing EV rear shocks due to 1 there’s very little clearance under the fender due to the stupid placement of the rear wiring harness, 2 messing with rear height can mess up the functioning of the integrated brake system.

Rerouting the wiring harness isn’t a big deal had to do that to accommodate shorter shocks for wife’s 04, Stone Touring after a rear tire flat ripped that up.Lesson learned.

N333- reason I’m at 40lbs, as the hack currently has a flat profile side car tire on it that says run at 40 lbs, and on my first ride, with wobble from hell, I checked tire pressure as stated, the hack tire had maybe 25-30 lbs, filling it to 40 lbs helped make it drivable.
 Interesting about the use of a Volkswagen steering damper. ( any particular VW Steering damper I should find?,) on my second ride I played with it a little, anything more than full off increased the wobble, even one turn, so that made me think about just taking it off and see if that helped. In the 14 years I’ve had the EV I’ve played with it a bit but never noticed much difference, even pulling our fully loaded pop up Kwick Kamp trailer.

I will be installing an EZSteer triple tree shortly, and will probably play with different a different damper, if required after that.
This AM I picked up a 50lb bag of sand,now in hack, later today I hope to get in a test drive.
The  78 Yamaha XS11 rig had been completely sorted out long before I got it. I could ride on some interstates no handed. I had hoped putting it on a heavier bike with a lower center of gravity would be simple and relatively painless.But there I go thinking again.

But I still have to think there must be some way to mechanically lower the shocks. Again I thought  all bikes came equipped with crude multiple step spring tension adjustments, maybe not all Guzzi’s.
I got to quit making projects for myself, at 70 years old I need more ride time than shop time.

I’ll post more in time as I experiment, and sort this out.

Please keep suggestions coming to paraphrase my hero,Red Green, we’re all in this together, If the women don’t find you handsome better to find you handy.or something. Keep your stick on the ice.
General Discussion / Re: First time riding a Moto Guzzi
« Last post by bacongrease on Today at 12:15:26 PM »
My Stone is my fave.  (day trips, around town).
  Next is the FXR. (Road trips)
  I still really like my 71 CB750, a cam and a few upgrades,
 I will never sell any of them.... until death  :grin:

To each his own......
General Discussion / Re: First time riding a Moto Guzzi
« Last post by Testarossa on Today at 10:48:57 AM »
My first bike was a Harley Sprint -- that is, an Aermacchi 350SS. It had right-foot shift and was a pain in the ass to kick-start but it was my only transportation and I rode it through a sloppy cold wet Midwestern winter. I was too naive to know what a torque monster it was, and how solid the handling was, and I now regret trading it for a clapped-out TR4 which promised a somewhat drier ride the following winter. Much later, after some years with a CB500, I acquired my T. I recognized a sort of family resemblance to the Aermacchi and thought THIS is what a motorcycle should feel like. Now I can't conceive of having fewer than two Guzzis, because you don't want to be without one while servicing the other . . .
General Discussion / Re: 2003 EV rear shock adjustment
« Last post by bigbikerrick on Today at 10:35:55 AM »
I have a 98 V 11 EV with a DMC M72 sidecar. I added a VW steering damper to mine,and found that adding Harley" FLH takeoff" air shocks helped quite a bit. They are about 1" shorter that oem shocks,and can be adjusted by adding air to them, as well as replacing the 10 oz of oil in the shocks with different viscosities. There are a bunch of you tube videos on how to do that. . Playing around with the air pressure in the shocks,as well as adjusting the fork tubes where they are about 3/4"up through the triple clamps helped with my rig.
Its all trial and error, with alignment settings, tire pressures, etc.
Rick D.
General Discussion / Diode Replacement-No power to ECU
« Last post by John Croucher on Today at 10:28:22 AM »
Working out the bugs on the 2000 (not a hyper motard) Quota, I would get a no start problem.  First I addressed the ignition switch.  It was extremely corroded.  Still had no start issue.  Moving wires below the gage's gave me a false sense the problem was there.  Then onto replacing all the relays and fuses.  Then moving wires around at the relays,  I narrowed it down to the ECU relay area.  Then the wire that has the diode shown in the wiring diagram N4007. 

Chasing down a no start, no spark, no fuel pump running problem, I found that the diode N4007 between the ecu and the relay for the coil, fuel pump is broke.  I can push the solid copper wire into the diode and the engine will run.  I can pull the copper wire and the engine will stop.

In doing some research, I found this from This Old Tractor.

I am not clear if this is adding an additional diode or the diode that I am having problems with is an original factory fix.  The diode currently installed is referenced in the OEM wiring diagram. 

ECU protection and transil diode installation
Moto Guzzi Quota 1000 and Quota 1100 ES models

https://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_quota_ecu_protection_and_transil_diode_installation.html

General Discussion / Re: No spark- Cal II
« Last post by guzzisteve on Today at 10:06:18 AM »
If you look in the 1000SP/G5 manual it explains the charge system, easier than trying to explain by typing. It has pics.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here