Author Topic: Looking for a Stelvio...  (Read 5413 times)

pete roper

Looking for a Stelvio...
« on: March 18, 2018, 06:01:14 AM »
OK, despite my reservations about riding in the US again we're sorely tempted to do a last, big, road trip but this time we'd like to do it on a Stelvio.

It's gotta be an unmollested roller motored bike with luggage and preferably alloy wheels. aF1 have a 2012 that fits the bill and I've emailed Micah about it but I have to know if it's a roller or flattie because I don't want to screw about with a flat tappet top end.

Any leads would be appreciated and the closer to the North West corner of the US/South West corner of Canada the better. While I'd love to buy a new one I'm balancing the cost of the purchase against the cost of car hire for two months so numbers are tight.

Help with what's available appreciated. A quick scan of the WG classifieds revealed nothing.

Thanks.

Pete

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
Re: Looking for a Stelvio...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 07:37:22 AM »
If you ride all the way to Niagara Falls let me know.  I live 20 minutes from there and can show you around.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 07:43:05 AM »
The rollered '12 I traded in for the MGX is still available in Tulsa at Brookside Motorcycles with less than 10K on the clock. I can vouch for this bike. He's asking $5 less than he gave me for it too. I had the seat re-done and setup just about as comfortable as a Russel, Laminar Lip, extra storage tube I put on it, brand new tires and fluids all the way around. I also put the 1200 sport mirrors on it and Euro turn signal conversion kit.

https://brooksidemotorcyclecompany.com/Motorcycles-Moto-Guzzi-Stelvio-1200-NTX-ABS-2012-Tulsa-OK-dee4841f-fb40-49c1-a02b-a713011aa25d
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 07:45:16 AM »
 Pete,

I live in the heart of Amish Country, Lancaster Pennsylvania. Great roads just north of us and nice wine country to explore at Niagara at the Lake.
If you're cruising by, you have a place to stay and large garage for the Stelvio.

Lauri
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 07:45:16 AM »

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 09:01:26 AM »
New Stelvio at Moto International.

http://www.motointernational.com/catalog/moto-guzzi/2016-moto-guzzi-stelvio-ntx-1200-abs.  Might be too $$ for what you're looking for.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 09:46:29 AM »
International Motorsports in Vancouver also have a new one

I wonder if one of my friends would part with theirs for a while?

https://www.internationalmotorsports.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventory#page=xNewInventory&make=moto%20guzzi

If you need a ride to Seattle it would be my pleasure
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline wheaties

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 12:29:28 PM »
If you want to consider starting in the Northeast*, you might try talking to Jim at Hamlin Cycles.  I think he has two Stelvios for sale, 2017's.  He's a big fan of the bike.

http://hamlincycles.com/new-inventory/

* I know you said Northwest, just offering another possibility.

Matt
2011 California Black Eagle
2014 Norge

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 04:25:18 PM »
PM sent.............

Ciao

twowings

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 04:59:05 PM »
Brookside Motorcycles in Tulsa has a '17 for sale...you could do a fly 'n' ride...

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 06:31:31 PM »
When I saw the subject, I thought it might be the next 1400 conversion. 

Luap's old bike looks like a good deal.  At least you wouldn't have depreciation.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 06:33:09 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

pete roper

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 06:40:49 PM »
Biggest issue is that we're flying in to Vancouver BC so AH's suggestion in his PM to me about a Canadian bike sounds promising.

We still haven't decided whether two or four wheels is preferable for this trip but 2 months of car hire is pricey and unlike the Cali 14 we had last visit which we both were at best ambivalent about we know we thoroughly enjoy the Stelvio and its a great mile muncher.

I'm also tempted by a 2015 or later model as these weren't imported to Oz meaning that the possibility of me bringing one back here if far greater. My current ride is fine but its high mileage and will need work in the next 50,000 or so. If I were to get a newer, or brand new bike and get it back here chances are it would see me through to the point where I'll no longer need a larger touring bike.

Pete

Offline BigBlock

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 11:45:56 PM »
Hey Pete, if your flying into Vancouver and decide to travel southwestern B.C. head out towards Penticton in the Okanagan valley. Its about 300 km east of Vancouver. Its wine country out this way. Great roads, lakes and scenery.  You've got a place to stay and a shop to park or service your bike if needed.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 11:47:24 PM by BigBlock »
2012 GT 8V Norge
2001 V11 Sport
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke

"Illegitimi non carborundum"

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 02:49:51 AM »
My current ride is fine but its high mileage and will need work in the next 50,000 or so.
Pete

Love it! :thumb: :grin:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

pete roper

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 04:55:19 AM »
Muzz, it's a shitter. It's had two sets of flat tappets through it, been abused with a Power Commander, (And who knows what other associated crap!?) and has obviously led a hard life.

I've rollerised it, gone through it in a sort of lightweight way, and fitted alloy wheels and a map.

Other than that I/we just ride the piss out of it! It has the 'Stelvio Groan' from the clutch. It makes some less than wonderful noises, especially when cold, but it will still pull 190 before I chicken out, (It's suspension is tired.). I really think that's pretty respectable for a bike that's done about 120,000 kms with a lot of neglect!

Did I say what a Turd it is?  :evil:

Pete

Joe A.

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 07:33:22 AM »
If you ride all the way to Niagara Falls let me know.  I live 20 minutes from there and can show you around.

If that happens, give me a shout!

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 09:44:02 AM »
I have an 09 Stelvio, has been rollerized, low mileage , luggage, wire wheels though. Can be had cheap! Located in west central Saskatchewan.  DonG

pete roper

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 01:04:17 PM »
Thanks to all who've responded. I'm going to be as busy as a dog with two dicks today so I may not get round to responding to everyone immediately but your input is appreciated.

Pete

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 02:22:50 PM »
I have an 09 Stelvio, has been rollerized, low mileage , luggage, wire wheels though. Can be had cheap! Located in west central Saskatchewan.  DonG
I'll go fetch it for you  :bike-037:
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 03:37:18 PM »
don't have a stelvio and as Roy already mentioned International Motorsports has new in stock in Vancouver

However if time permits, would be cool to meet ya in person before you guys head off :D
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 03:40:18 PM »
I would try cycletrader.com for US-wide searches of new and used inventory of private and dealer based sellers.
Ebay is an alternate.
Search Tempest is an easy-ish way to search nationwide Craigslist ads.

Remember to let the West Michigan crew know if you are taking the Milwaukee-Muskegon or Manitowoc-Ludington ferry...we'll meet you for another round of beers in Grand Rapids...or anywhere.

Also let me know if you can use extra storage in the tool-tube variety... I'll send one of these to the bike's location for the cost of a beer:
http://stelviontx.blogspot.com/2015/10/large-tool-tube-mount.html

Offline stick

• New Egg
  • Greater Worcester, MA
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 03:18:09 PM »
Hi Pete,

I sent you  a PM.  Lemme know if you didn't get it.  (I can't see it in my Sent folder)
Stick

Nothing like stuffing a Goose between your legs

2013 Stelvio NTX
2002 V1100 Lemans
1996 Sport 1100
2003 Ducati ST4s

pete roper

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 03:39:50 PM »
Hi Pete,

I sent you  a PM.  Lemme know if you didn't get it.  (I can't see it in my Sent folder)

Got it. Thanks.

Offline Pisano

• Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 09:32:23 PM »
Model Stelvio
Kilometers 5,300
Year 2016
location Edmonton Alberta

ionFlag=true" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/edmonton/moto-guzzi-stelvio-ntx-1200cc/1336085187?enableSearchNavigat ionFlag=true

Pete,
Kijiji is a popular second hand sales website in Canada.  I use it all the time.  I did a search and this is the closest Stelvio to Vancover that meets your criteria.  You'd have to drive a few days out north east and pick this up in Edmonton Alberta.

Also there are these ones but they're flat ...

ionFlag=true" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring/chilliwack/2011-motto-guzzi-stelvio/1329788686?enableSearchNavigat ionFlag=true

ionFlag=true" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">https://www.kijiji.ca/v-touring/edmonton/moto-guzzi-stelvio/1246423288?enableSearchNavigat ionFlag=true

Norm F.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:38:30 PM by Pisano »

Offline nwryder

• New Egg
Looking for a Stelvio...
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 10:03:39 PM »
Pete,

Pro caliber motor sports (located in Vancouver Washington) has a 2014 Stelvio with 21,640 miles on it. Their website says their asking $7,499.  It has bags (one is a little damaged) I’ve seen it in person and it doesn’t look too bad.  Their website is www.procalibervanco uver.com

Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:56:30 PM by nwryder »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 10:17:26 PM »
Jeez, if I was in the States I'd say "come and get the bugger, and run your laptop over it at the end and we"ll call it even".
Even a bloody old 2 VPC Norge on the same deal would be ok, or heaven forbid, a Breva...!!

You'll get it back in better nick than when you released it.
An absolute "no brainer".
Bugger me..
Even if you put the acid on him for an oil change and tyres after the ride, every bastard's still kicked a goal as I see it.
What's wrong with that line of thought ?
Every time he opens his gob, someone saves a $...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:22:34 PM by Huzo »

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 01:34:13 AM »
Jeez, if I was in the States I'd say "come and get the bugger, and run your laptop over it at the end and we"ll call it even".
Even a bloody old 2 VPC Norge on the same deal would be ok, or heaven forbid, a Breva...!!

You'll get it back in better nick than when you released it.
An absolute "no brainer".
Bugger me..
Even if you put the acid on him for an oil change and tyres after the ride, every bastard's still kicked a goal as I see it.
What's wrong with that line of thought ?
Every time he opens his gob, someone saves a $...

I made such an offer by PM, Huzo...  :tongue:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

pete roper

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 01:56:21 AM »
Indeed, in fact both Tony and Daniel have kindly offered bikes for our use but right now Jude, ever the voice of reason, has put the Kybosh on the idea and to be honest I didn't put up too much of a fight.

Although SWMBO was in fact quite amenable to the idea of another bike road trip she pointed out that I'm about to go under the knife again, (Damn you Abigail Carruthers!) and there is no real gaurantee I'll be fully ambulant and active again by the time we go.

Consequently I'll have to put this one on the back burner, for this year at least. Thank you all for the help and the kind words but this time we'll probably be in a Hyundai Acent or some other such unexciting shitbox! Such is life and to be brutally honest life for us is bloody good!

Pete

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 02:49:24 AM »
I made such an offer by PM, Huzo...  :tongue:
Good on you mate.
I'm glad someone of your ilk believes my logic, now I'm sure I'm not talking BS.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 02:55:32 AM »
Indeed, in fact both Tony and Daniel have kindly offered bikes for our use but right now Jude, ever the voice of reason, has put the Kybosh on the idea and to be honest I didn't put up too much of a fight.

Although SWMBO was in fact quite amenable to the idea of another bike road trip she pointed out that I'm about to go under the knife again, (Damn you Abigail Carruthers!) and there is no real gaurantee I'll be fully ambulant and active again by the time we go.

Consequently I'll have to put this one on the back burner, for this year at least. Thank you all for the help and the kind words but this time we'll probably be in a Hyundai Acent or some other such unexciting shitbox! Such is life and to be brutally honest life for us is bloody good!

Pete
Ok then Pete.
I hope and trust that the Gods of good fortune wee on you from a great height and if there is something that can be done for you please let us in your vicinity know about it.
If it's not too much trouble, could you buy that nice cafe' on the corner for me and I'll fix you up when the new liquid cooled, 4VPC, 110 kW 1000 cc Le Mans is released... :thumb:
BTW..
Wheels heading your way tomorrow, I'll phone you with date of arrival and address in Canberra.
There'll be nothing to pay, just rock up..
Huzo.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 03:00:01 AM by Huzo »

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
!!!
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 08:13:03 AM »
.......Consequently I'll have to put this one on the back burner, for this year at least. Thank you all for the help and the kind words but this time we'll probably be in a Hyundai Acent or some other such unexciting shitbox! Such is life and to be brutally honest life for us is bloody good!

Pete

Spend some of cash you would have spent on the bike on a decent hire car

First time we went states side we were luckily upgraded to a Mustang - I was a very happy boy  :thumb: - The only way it could have been better if it had been a V8  :evil:

Second time we ended up with a 1.6 automatic Mazda POS that was so gutless and spent its entire time going down the box and revving its nuts off to get up even the smallest hill!!

Have Fun though
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here