Author Topic: Anyone use Hepco and Becker C-Bow mount?  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Numbercruncher

• Hatchling
Anyone use Hepco and Becker C-Bow mount?
« on: April 13, 2018, 07:26:28 PM »
If I buy a new V7III I would like a side bag option for the overnight or weekend trip.  I don't like the big scaffolding look like you typically see on big ADV bikes for carrying large side cases to hell and back.  The one I am looking at have what is called a C-mount.  This bracket is not too intrusive on the look of the V7III.  Of course they may not be as secure either.  If anyone has used these on this or any other bike please chime in.

NC
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:39:44 PM by rocker59 »

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Anyone use Hepco and Becker C-Mount?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 07:34:16 PM »
I have the c bow's on a 1400 custom and really like them. Plenty solid and lots of quick detach bag options. Mine are chrome and don't detract from the bike at all when no luggage is used. V7 111 looks like an awesome choice, good luck!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 07:35:29 PM by lucian »

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 07:42:00 PM »
Have had them on my Cali 1400 Custom since new.  Have done several long trips with the bags.  I am not a camper so I like the detachable feature.  I currently have a set of C-Bow mounts in the garage for my Ducati Monster.  Just have not gotten around to installing them.

FYI, if you know where to look you can find the bag brackets and attach them to virtually any bag you want, just need a drill.  That is how I attached these  Craven bags to my Cali:

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 07:45:03 PM by mjptexas »
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline Numbercruncher

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 09:53:13 PM »
Sounds like the correct option.  Just need to pull the trigger on the bike now.

NC

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 09:53:13 PM »

Offline Jackr

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 09:52:37 AM »
I have the HP C Bow mounts and hard cases on my V9 and like them. They are smaller than I’m used to, but I’ve learned to travel light. If camping, I employ a large Helen Two Wheels duffel bag that I strap across the back. With this architecture I can go and go.

Offline tasdisr

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 11:16:53 AM »
I had the C-Bows installed on my V7 last year and I am very happy with them.

2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Noguzznoglory

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 06:59:18 AM »
C-bows on my Breva 750 for the same reason you want them: all that tubing on other mounts seriously detracts from the looks of the bike when the bags are off.
No regrets
93 750 Nighthawk
73 Honda CB350
73 Honda CL450
04 Breva 750
15 Norge
16 VERSYS 650

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 07:11:34 AM »
If you'd like no visible mounts on your motorcycle you can get a system from Ventura.  With no luggage it's simply a rack or even just a grab rail.  In use, one large bag is attached, and it can double as a backrest (the bag) if desired.  For more space, two bags are attached together for plenty of storage. However, one bag and a small tankbag is all I've ever needed.

I couldn't stand the idea of anything adding to the already perfect, to me, lines of the V7.  I do have bags on my other motorcycles but the V7 needed to stay "pure" and allow me to carry getaway items.  The Ventura fit the bill to a T, is very nice quality, and versatile for different looks and configurations.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Joe A.

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 12:55:46 PM »
If you'd like no visible mounts on your motorcycle you can get a system from Ventura.  With no luggage it's simply a rack or even just a grab rail.  In use, one large bag is attached, and it can double as a backrest (the bag) if desired.  For more space, two bags are attached together for plenty of storage. However, one bag and a small tankbag is all I've ever needed.

I couldn't stand the idea of anything adding to the already perfect, to me, lines of the V7.  I do have bags on my other motorcycles but the V7 needed to stay "pure" and allow me to carry getaway items.  The Ventura fit the bill to a T, is very nice quality, and versatile for different looks and configurations.

Jim, do you have to buy the rack system, or can it be strapped to the seat or  a HB luggage rack?

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 05:16:22 PM »
I've got 4 years and about 40,000 happy miles on my Hepco-Becker soft bags, C-Bow mounts, and Tank Bag.  They are mounted on my '04 Breva 750.

I've also got the whole lot for sale, bike and all, here, if you want to see how they look on and off:

http://www.dansher.com/bikepix/Breva750/2004_Breva_750.html 

I spent upwards of $1,000 on these three items.  Still, HB is totally a quality company that makes long-term, roadworthy accessories.  You could pay less, but you'll get less too.

The C-Bow mounts are custom fit for a specific make, model, and year of motorcycle.   When I bought my HB items in 2014 for a 10-year old Breva, it took four weeks to get the C-Bows.  if you later change bikes they probably won't bolt right on to the new one.

'Geezer

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:19:18 PM by M0T0Geezer »
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 08:16:39 PM »
Joe,
It's on my 7, the one you rode.  I have just the small bag on back with tire stuff, Plexus, and spare gloves.
You'd need the basic rack system and then you add the parts you want.  A modular idea, it is.

Offline Numbercruncher

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 12:19:24 AM »
I had the C-Bows installed on my V7 last year and I am very happy with them.

Same soft side ones I am looking at for a V7-III.  I do wish the advertising wasn't so blatant but other than that they look great.

NC
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 12:21:37 AM by Numbercruncher »

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 05:06:50 AM »
I agree with you.  It may be trivial but the logo blasted on the side of the bags-no, thanks.  In general, that bugs me on a lot of motorcycle stuff.  Logos blasted everywhere.  I get why it's done but that doesn't mean I gotta like it!

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 07:36:18 AM »
Prior to adapting factory hard bags to my 1400 Eldo, I had the C-Bows on it. Well made and sturdy. Since I was using the largest bags they offered for C bows, I made a small triangular piece with a hole in one corner and a slot across the other two. I had that bolted to the rear attaching point where the C-Bow bolts to the rack. When loaded, I would use a nylon strap to help support the weight. I don't know if it was really needed or not, but I didn't want to find myself away from home and have to deal with a problem that I created by putting too much weight on the bags. (A cross piece to tie the two sides together in the back would have alleviated that concern, but that defeats the minimalist purpose of the mounts.)

Anyhow, like I said, well made and sturdy, looks decent without bags on them. I just worried about 35L packed for a trip. For everyday running around, I didn't worry about the extra support strap.

Edit: To give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

This is a lot sticking out when loaded, especially wehn you consider shock load when hitting bumps:

John Henry 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 07:51:52 AM by Zoom Zoom »

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 10:35:51 AM »
For me - the C-mount is attractive because of the ease of removal of the panniers.

For those times when ya don't want them on the bike - and much easier to clean the bike without the panniers attached.

My idea is to attach some hard-backed leather saddlebags, similar to these.  (13x12x5) to our V7 III Special.

Just a single-flap small-ish bag.   We found a supplier in Stockton, California (Leatherworks Inc) that makes some really nice thick leather bags and they'll do pretty any custom work that you want.
 :thumb:
Here's the same size bag, mounted on a Yamaha VStar1300 with Easy-Brackets.  This is nice to be able to simply lift them off or on in mere seconds.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:42:14 AM by kballowe »

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 12:36:11 PM »
I had EZ brackets on two Triumph bikes.  Worked a treat and no mess when bags are removed.

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 04:22:59 PM »
I've fitted C- Bow mounts to my Cali 1400, V7-III Stone, and my Griso 1200SE.  Much better than anything else I've tried.

Also, H & B manufacture brackets that fit the C-Bow that can be bolted to any flat service.  I used Givi E21 panniers (now obsolete) they make a great combination.  I also have the H & B Nevada 28 litre leather bags should I require more storage.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here