Author Topic: Seeking a Black Eagle  (Read 3786 times)

Offline abloom

• New Egg
Seeking a Black Eagle
« on: May 18, 2018, 02:08:23 AM »
Howdy,

So I posted a few weeks ago with my tale of woe about the accident taking out my beloved r1200c.  Since then I have been obsessively reading about MG's and I keep returning to those two years of Black Eagle California's.  Anyhow, in the past when I have started to set my heart on a vehicle (motorcycle, car, zeppelin, whatever), I can do a national search and find one SOMEWHERE.  But for the last three weeks I can find none, bupkis, zilch, nada, nary a one for sale or barter or trade for my first born anywhere in the US.  I think I found one in the south of England, but even I'M not THAT ridiculous (though I thought about it)...

Help a brother out.  Any leads out there?  As with so many things, the fact that I cannot find one is only making me want it more, but I am an idiot like that.

Thanks in Advance,
Aaron

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
Re: Seeking a Black Eagle
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 07:49:33 AM »
Hamlin sold a few when he was at Branchville prior to opening his shop.
You might ask him if he has a line on one.  Couldn't hurt.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 08:17:46 AM »
I think Judsons in Clear lake, MN has one or two new ones. He is a one man shop, been in business a long time, trustworthy.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline abloom

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 01:31:12 AM »
I think Judsons in Clear lake, MN has one or two new ones. He is a one man shop, been in business a long time, trustworthy.

I cannot seem to find info on Judson's.  Can you get me a contact number?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 01:31:12 AM »

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 07:26:36 AM »
Try 507-726-2222?
Are you sure that you want a Guzzi?
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 07:57:39 AM »
Try 507-726-2222?

The answer to that obvious question is a resounding....YES!!! :thumb: :1: :cool:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline abloom

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 02:21:01 PM »
Try 507-726-2222?

I am pretty sure. Why do you ask?

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 03:18:16 PM »
becaues there an acquired taste?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 04:20:53 PM »

They are renown for having a few "quirks". Dealers can be a bit thin on the ground. They are "different". They are not particularly powerful. They are Italian....., who else would put a brake caliper bleeder on the bottom instead of the top. :rolleyes: They are not perfect.

Having said that, they are addictive. The visceral feel of the motor and the fact that most do not sound like an emasculated sowing machine lets you know that all is well with the world. I would guess that most on this site do their own wrenching, and in general they are pretty good to work on. Once you own one and then "get it" I suspect that most here could not imagine a life without a Guzzi in their life. They are different in the best possible way.

Muzz (an addict not even trying to recover) :grin: :thumb:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 05:23:33 PM by Muzz »
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 04:53:38 PM »
They are renown for having a few "quirks". Dealers can be a bit thin on the ground. They are "different". They are not particularly powerful. They are Italian....., who else would put a break caliper bleeder on the bottom instead of the top. :rolleyes: They are not perfect.

Having said that, they are addictive. The visceral feel of the motor and the fact that most do not sound like an emasculated sowing machine lets you know that all is well with the world. I would guess that most on this site do their own wrenching, and in general they are pretty good to work on. Once you own one and then "get it" I suspect that most here could not imagine a life without a Guzzi in their life. They are different in the best possible way.

Muzz (an addict not even trying to recover) :grin: :thumb:

Well stated, Muzz!!!... :thumb: :cool:...and if you own and ride a Guzzi...you are immediately accepted around the globe in tiny, but formidable and passionate  Moto Guzzi community!! :cool: :thumb: :1: :smiley:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline OldMojo

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Career of Evil
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 07:04:52 PM »
As you're discovering, those Black Eagles are rare birds (pun intended). At the time, they would have been battling for floor space with leftover CalVins, not to mention all of the other California variants floating around then as now. Plus, rumors of the new Cali were beginning to surface. While good-looking bikes and arguably the pinnacle of non-touring Cali 1100 development, they offered nothing substantially new beyond a paint job, and I think many viewed them as placeholders until the 1400s started rolling out.

In all of my casual keyboard shopping, I can only recall seeing a couple for sale.

That said, you'd have better success running down a decent EV or Special Sport, which are essentially the same bike. They'll be a few years older with pricing to match.

Here's a well farkled Special in Indy (no relation to seller)

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2002-moto-guzzi-california/6565738866.html
"When you hit third gear, you'll forget everything she said"

'15 Griso 1200
'14 California Tour
'02 California EV
'80 CB 650C

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 07:22:47 PM »

That said, you'd have better success running down a decent EV or Special Sport, which are essentially the same bike. They'll be a few years older with pricing to match.

If you get an EV you'll get tubeless rims instead of those cheap chrome things.

Any of the Cali variants can be painted flat black and you can probably order the Black Eagle saddle ans badges if that's what you like. 
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 07:46:44 PM »
The thing that sold me on my 2001 Jackal was the twin tail lights.  Silly, I know.  The Black Eagle has a similar unique look to be sure.
That said, the above link looks wonderful at $3500.00

Online kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 09:35:58 AM »
The thing that sold me on my 2001 Jackal was the twin tail lights.  Silly, I know.  The Black Eagle has a similar unique look to be sure.
That said, the above link looks wonderful at $3500.00

Isn't that funny. When I bought my Jackal I couldn't get that rear light cluster off of it fast enough! Glad it's working well for you!

As for that CL link, that IS a sweet machine at a great price. And it's sold. Just heard from the seller. Apparently slow in taking that add down.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 09:38:06 AM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 05:20:01 PM »
As we often say, ".....there's no accounting for some people's taste".  At the very least, those twin lens remind me of Austin Powers............. .........I thank you!

Online kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 07:48:59 AM »
since this may be helpful to the OP as he considers what to pursue, I'll keep this veer going a bit.

I prefer foot pegs over floor boards and the Eagle handlebars, low and wide, hit my knees at full lock (I�m 6�2�)

I've gone back and forth on the peg's v boards. I'm a leggy 6'0" (34" inseam). When I bought my Cali, it had the boards on it. I went to pegs as I wanted to go more in the standard/uncluttered/unfettered direction than cruiser. I also had highway pegs (I know - cruiser) Well the pegs were a casualty in a slide. So they've been gone. Then on some longer rides I felt a bit cramped and wanted to move my legs around. This winter, after a couple seasons, I put the boards back on. Since they are lower and wider, the std position is a bit more comfortable, and when i slide my feet forward so the heels are on the leading edge, it's close to the pegs posture. Pretty comfy. I'd think at your height, you'd feel a bit cramped. Still prefer the look with pegs, and easier to maneuver, but comfort tends to swing a big bat, and overwhelms vanity.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 08:06:32 PM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline e.cleven

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 07:09:42 AM »
Abloom, still in the market for a Black Eagle? I was at Judson Cycle yesterday and he dose in fact have 2 (two) sitting on the floor.
One has 3 miles and the other 28 miles. These are new bikes that have never been sold.
Contact Ron at Judson Cycle, Lake Crystal, Minnesota.
507-726-2222
As has been mentioned he is a long time dealer and a trustworthy guy.
Good luck on your quest.

Ride safe.
Earl

Offline abloom

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 07:33:02 PM »
Abloom, still in the market for a Black Eagle? I was at Judson Cycle yesterday and he dose in fact have 2 (two) sitting on the floor.
One has 3 miles and the other 28 miles. These are new bikes that have never been sold.
Contact Ron at Judson Cycle, Lake Crystal, Minnesota.
507-726-2222
As has been mentioned he is a long time dealer and a trustworthy guy.
Good luck on your quest.

Ride safe.
Earl

Hey, thanks so much for this, and thanks to everyone who posted.  I have test driven a couple California's at this point, and I am only getting more excited about them.

Offline abloom

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 07:34:24 PM »
As you're discovering, those Black Eagles are rare birds (pun intended). At the time, they would have been battling for floor space with leftover CalVins, not to mention all of the other California variants floating around then as now. Plus, rumors of the new Cali were beginning to surface. While good-looking bikes and arguably the pinnacle of non-touring Cali 1100 development, they offered nothing substantially new beyond a paint job, and I think many viewed them as placeholders until the 1400s started rolling out.

In all of my casual keyboard shopping, I can only recall seeing a couple for sale.

Here's a well farkled Special in Indy (no relation to seller)

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2002-moto-guzzi-california/6565738866.html

Mike sold that one about two weeks ago to a guy who works in LA but lives 20 min north of Indianapolis.  Mike is a great guy but that bike is gone....

Offline abloom

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 07:49:44 PM »

Hey, thanks so much for this, and thanks to everyone who posted.  I have test driven a couple California's at this point, and I am only getting more excited about them.

Thanks!  I will be giving him a call tomorrow for sure.  I had the number but did not want to bother him until I was sure about it.  After this weekend, I am!

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 10:47:56 AM »
I'd like to request a moment of silence as one more perfectly sane individual does the unspeakable and buys a Guzzi.

These machines are pretty straightforward - you should have no real issues with the engine. It shifts like a box of rocks if you don't match speeds- an acquired skill.

Depending upon your inseam length, the seat may be a bit low for you (I'm 6'0" & 32" and my knees were too high for comfort.) However, there are options in that you can order a custom saddle that is higher than stock.

This forum offers all the technical support you will ever need to keep the bike running fine. All kidding aside, a truly wonderful group of professionals and enthusiasts.

One last warning: there's a saying on the forum that "it doesn't exist if there are no pix"-  so we want to see the machine when you get it!

Jonathan
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline abloom

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 12:39:23 PM »
I'd like to request a moment of silence as one more perfectly sane individual does the unspeakable and buys a Guzzi.

These machines are pretty straightforward - you should have no real issues with the engine. It shifts like a box of rocks if you don't match speeds- an acquired skill.

Depending upon your inseam length, the seat may be a bit low for you (I'm 6'0" & 32" and my knees were too high for comfort.) However, there are options in that you can order a custom saddle that is higher than stock.

This forum offers all the technical support you will ever need to keep the bike running fine. All kidding aside, a truly wonderful group of professionals and enthusiasts.

One last warning: there's a saying on the forum that "it doesn't exist if there are no pix"-  so we want to see the machine when you get it!

Jonathan

Jonathan,

It is looking more and more like I am flying somewhere to buy one, and either fly&riding, or riding about somewhere and then shipping it back.  Thanks for the moment of silence.  Pictures will surely follow...

Aaron

Offline wheaties

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2018, 04:33:40 PM »
I've been waiting for Aaron to post an update, but since he hasn't, I think I might as well.

Aaron did a search on WG to see if he could find a Black Eagle closer to him.  I turned up in his search.  He's also been in contact with Hamlin Cycle, picking the fine brains of Jim and Adam for what they know about 1100 Californias in general, and who in turn also referred to me.  It didn't take too long for me to realize that Aaron was trying to get in touch with me.

His question:  "Could he sit on my bike and put the kickstand up and down a few times before he committed to buying the same bike on the other coast?"  "A sanity check", he called it.  I suppose someone not acquainted with Guzzis or even motorcycles would frown at the idea that this exercise had anything to do with sanity, I knew exactly what he meant, and we agreed to meet. 

The most obvious solution would be for him to train up from Brooklyn to the nearest station that offers full service, a train every ten minutes during peak, and every half hour off peak.  A station closer to home meant connecting trains and upwards of a two hour wait between trains.  Besides, what's a 40 minute ride for me to meet him?

But then Adam put together a Spark Night ages ago so we could all meet the third Wednesday of every month, show off the bikes, and exchange bad jokes.  We do a bonus meet if there's a fifth Wednesday in the month, and hey, May is just such a month!  Would Aaron like to take a train right into Bethel and hang out for a couple hours?  The train ride is longer, but we hang out about half a mile away from the station.  That was it, Aaron was on his way.

Andy was nice enough to meet Aaron at the train station.  Aaron sat on the bike and did the kickstand thing, it seems to be in range.  Seat heights and suspension were discussed.  Adam imparted his experience with Californias.  For good measure, Jim tossed Aaron the keys to a Norge so he could take a test ride.  Not bad for a $30  1-1/2 hour train ride.

Andy got him back to the train station in time, and the rest is history.  Watch this space to find out what Aaron does.  I think we have another Guzzisti.

<moment of silence>

Matt

2011 California Black Eagle
2014 Norge

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here