Recent Posts

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: More on the H-D Adventure Bike
« Last post by Perazzimx14 on Today at 04:46:56 PM »
And probably 90% of their riders will never use most of their ability...

90% of riders can't use all the power a Ninja 250 puts out.
Why the last? 

I always enjoyed the DS rides I did.  Ohio and western PA though.

Here is the letter of explanation.

Fellow Dual Sport Riders,
We probably should have anticipated the questions we’re getting about why this is the last year for the Michaux Dual Sport.  The fact is, there are plenty of reasons.
We’re doing this voluntarily, not as the result of pressure from an agency or other user group.  It’s worth stating that we enjoy our relationship with the folks from Forestry in Fayetteville who manage Michaux State Forest and the Rangers who patrol it.  We thank them for their cooperation through the years. 
Michaux State Forest has changed—is changing—and Michaux Off Road Enthusiasts (MORE) are proud of the role we have played.   Besides motorcycles, we like to think we helped plenty of other users get to know and love this forest as we do. 
The original ATV trails were laid out by Mark Williams, MORE President and Dual Sport originator. 
MORE hosted the Iron Master’s Classic for 10 years; a mountain bike race that became the largest single day event of its kind on the East Coast.  MORE continues that tradition, providing support for the Volvo Michaux Endurance Series.
MORE participated in and supported equestrian and orienteering events and MORE promoted the first adventure race in Michaux State Forest.
You can see where this is headed.  Over time, lots of people with a wide range of interests have found their way to Michaux and are having fun pursuing their pastime.  Michaux is, in fact, the busiest forest in the entire state.  So busy that there are more events in Michaux each year than in all of the other State Forests combined. 
We spend a lot of our time in Michaux throughout the year and we’ve watched and witnessed this growth.
Because of this recreational influx, our colleagues in Fayetteville are doing everything they can to understand and begin to manage something they were never intended to manage: people coming to the forest to have fun.  Hunters have been there for decades but when MORE first came to be, it was rare to encounter other people out and about in the forest.  No more.  It is now rare NOT to bump into someone on the trails or in the parking lot.
So it’s a busy place but that’s not the only reason we’re stopping. 
About 5 years ago, some folks in Harrisburg handed down a set of guidelines for motorized events on State Forest lands that have forever impacted happenings like our Dual Sport.  In sum, those guidelines imposed some very stringent and potentially expensive requirements on clubs like MORE.  Neither we nor the people in the District Forestry offices had any say—at least initially—in what those guidelines dictated.  We here need to recognize the efforts of Denny Mann, Steve Bottiger and several others who brought Harrisburg back to the table and got them to amend the guidelines with input from clubs like the South Penn Enduro Riders, PA Trail Riders Association and MORE.  Without those changes we’d have stopped this event a long time ago.
Most significantly, the requirements around trail remediation became more stringent and had much tighter time frames for completion.
In an event where the appeal is riding trails that are otherwise off-limits and where we try to offer as much trail as possible and with as broad an appeal as possible, this becomes a significant burden for a club like MORE.
MORE is a small club.  Like 5 people small.  On purpose.  We’ve kept it that way because it’s been easier to manage an event like this when you only need to check with one or two others before you act and because everyone knows and does their jobs and we only have ourselves to blame if something goes amiss.  And because only a bare handful of people know their way around the forest as well as we do.  Sorry, but we had to brag. 
Understand that the amount of actual trail work we do isn’t that bad but we have to check every inch of every trail we use to make sure they are OK post-event.  And that takes time.  Forestry’s network of approved trails continues to grow and they are happy to have us use them so long as we return them to the condition they were prior to our event.  And that bar continues to go up.
And finally, we’re going in different directions, literally.  Some of us are ending careers and leaving the area.  Some are looking to spend more of their time pursuing other interests—or those of our kids.   While we love the event, our lives, much like the forest, continue to evolve and it’s time to put a bow on this and move on to the next chapter.
We think 30 is a nice round number and we look forward to seeing you this August for one more ride in the rocks.
With warmest regards,
The MORE Club
General Discussion / Re: V11S Came Home to Roost
« Last post by Sheepdog on Today at 04:40:51 PM »
Very nice, Dave.
« Last post by Kev m on Today at 04:38:25 PM »
90+% of Sport Bikes never see a race track.
And probably 90% of their riders will never use most of their ability...
« Last post by yogidozer on Today at 04:28:12 PM »
Funny, but more like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4_6SRBhCqc

and this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdamc7SZlzw
I'm glad you saw my post as humorous, not serious.
Your videos are good, that fat guy smoking a cigarette on the hillclimb was lucky he didn't swallow it.
I've seen some cop videos with riders doing amazing things on full dress police bikes too.
General Discussion / Re: V11S Came Home to Roost
« Last post by blackcat on Today at 04:27:15 PM »
Dave, pretty bike, good luck.  I had an 04 Rosso Corsa and it was a very trouble free bike except for the speedometer which died at around 15,000 miles. Sorry I sold mine, even tried to talk the guy out of buying it when he showed up with cash.
General Discussion / Re: Any issues with the 07 Norge
« Last post by blackcat on Today at 04:23:47 PM »
I have an early 07(red) and it has over 60,000 miles on the clock. I replaced the rear shock as it was too soft, also re-valved the front forks with new stiffer springs, but that was by choice and may not be necessary depending on how you ride. If yours is a later 07, the rear spring was changed by the factory. Getting to the dipstick is a pain, fortunately my lower fairing developed a crack and was changed under warranty and I received a new one with the rubber plugged hole. Some guys cut their own hole and just purchased the rubber plug from Guzzi or you can order the after market extension tube which works OK.

The front discs are a problem as the buttons collect dirt and act like they are warped and the solution is to chuck up a nut and bolt in the button and use a drill to rotate and clean with a small amount of lube being careful to not coat the disc.

Some have had trouble with the tabs breaking on the plastic, I just took all of them off and reinforced with JB Weld at the base and have not had a problem.

Heat: I have had issues with it being warm in the summer and I thought remapping would help but it's a hot bike, and that depends on where you live.

Pinging: I have only experienced that with gas in some areas of the country and only when it's really hot and in stop and go traffic.

Leaky bags: Mine don't leak but if you open them with rain in the gully it will dump into the bag.

Rear brake caliper: I had trouble with mine, as it froze into one position and couldn't take a new pad. I tried everything to free it up and eventually just purchased a new/used one off of eBay. I lube the shaft everyonce in awhile to make sure it doesn't happen again.

The bike runs very well and with that much mileage, which I don't think is a lot, it is kind of worthless on the open market.  But I still like it, and have no plans on selling the bike.
General Discussion / Re: First dog.
« Last post by Perazzimx14 on Today at 04:09:11 PM »
I would like to share something about corporal punishment in regards to house training.  I have now had 2 dogs in my adult life, and had 2 as a child.

On all the dogs except the current, the 'smack their ass, show them the offending spot and toss them outside' method was employed.  It worked, but with an unnecessary emotional cost to the dog.  I suppose it does firmly assert dominance.  The other way is better.  It's probably old news at this point.

For the current dog, I was encouraged to try positive reinforcement.  I was about to lose patience on the 'new' way when it came to fruition.  It seemed to be slow going.  I almost gave up on it.  Then one day I think a light went on for the dog.  Very minimal accidents from that point on. 

Beyond that, prevention of accidents by watching the dog and anticipating it's needs is the best policy.  After a meal, it is very predictable when they need to go.  Get in tune with their rhythms and be proactive.  Take them out frequently to urinate.  Associate a command with the action and heap praise every time they comply.  I believe I read that until a pup gets to a certain age (maybe 9mos?), they don't have full control of their faculties.  On my next dog, since I have a relatively small property, I will endeavor to train the dog to a certain area for potty breaks, which would be preferred to random places in the yard.  It's a good idea to get them used to going when on a leash which would help control the 'where' aspect.

I would second the idea of getting your pup used to having their teeth brushed from a young age.  It is difficult to condition an older animal to this kind of treatment.  Like ourselves, the benefits of healthy teeth will also represent a financial savings down the road.

Remove everything from the dogs reach that you don't want chewed.  Can't get it, can't ruin it.  Give them plenty of things it's OK to chew on.  Don't forget about leather coat sleeves dangling from a chair.  Anything of a similar texture is heaven to their growing gums and teeth.

Being a dog owner will

The day we licked up out 1st GSP the breeded said this dog has a good bladder. The 1st thing she did when we brought her inside was piss on the floor. The wife and I looked at eah other rolle our eyes and thought the breeder was full of it. That was the one and only accident Sadie had in the house in the 12+ years she was with us.

Our 2nd GSP took frever to house bread like almost a year. A fellow at works neighbor has Holly's brother and they expierenced the same thing. The breeded kept the pups in a the den and let them reieve thems selves on the carpet as the carpet was getting replaced once the litter was gone. So we think her and her litter mates thought that carpet as for pissing on.

Then one day she stopped and has been excellent. There was no raising a hand to her, no yelling no screaming it just took time and persistnece. Just like the other GSP as long as she's laying in bed she wont get up to pee she'll stay tucked away under the covers for 10, 12+ hours. I'll get up she stays in bed and about 10:30am she'll wonder out to the TV room and want to go out to pee.
Why the last? 

I always enjoyed the DS rides I did.  Ohio and western PA though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Please consider white-listing this site in your Ad Blocker settings. White-listing this site helps the forum financially and reduces the need for donations. This site is 100% donor based. I've taken great strides and effort to ensure there are minimal ads displaying so not to be too intrusive and to find a good balance. The ads are region specific and could actually benefit you as well. Thank you. Look to the very top right of your screen for the "X" to close this message.
***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here