Author Topic: CalStone Back on the Road!  (Read 1289 times)

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
CalStone Back on the Road!
« on: June 12, 2018, 08:31:53 AM »
It's been a few months since I found this locally on Craigslist for cheap, prompting me to join the Wildgoose Chase, but I've finally got this '02 CalStone on the road.  Most of its needs were minor but plenty, worst being the alarming hammering sound coming from the left cylinder head, and a leaky fuel tank (surprise!).  As I suspected, the exhaust valve was so out of spec that one could move the pushrod around by hand.  Adjustments all around... hammering eliminated!  I discovered the crack in the underside tunnel of the fuel tank upon removal for paint.  The crack seemed pretty stable and not too wide, so I used a couple of coats of POR-15 on both sides of the crack, reinforcing the outside with some fiberglass mat.  So far, so good.  I got up at the crack of dawn on Sunday to finish the matte clearcoat, and by the end of the day I had all of the painted parts installed except for the tank.  Did that yesterday before the ride.  I had just enough time and a break in the clouds for a satisfying 20-mile loop.  I'm certainly not finished with this machine, but the goal of getting it back on the road has been met.  See where it takes me from here!     

Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: CalStone Back on the Road!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 08:38:44 AM »
Sounds like a very satisfying outcome, especially finding the source of the engine noise and gas leak.

Hope you get a lot of happy miles riding, and a high miles-ridden to maintenance-required ratio from here on out!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 08:39:14 AM »
Nicely done!

Rich A

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 08:46:19 AM »
Great job! I always thought the California Stone was a great package. Guzzis must be about the best value in the used big-bike market. .
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 08:46:19 AM »

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 07:42:51 AM »
Thanks fellas.  The only thing I really need to sort out at this time is what seems to me to be a bit of a fast idle.  Otherwise, it runs great.  This is my first bike with FI, so wrapping my head around setting the idle speed, TPS and throttle body balance has been a bit nerve wracking.  There is TONS of info on this on the net, but there is also a lot of inconsistency/disagreement among postings to go along with it.  What I find to be common with this information is that every bike is an individual and there will be some variation in getting them dialed-in.  That, I get!  I'm hoping that my Guzzi neighbor, Chuck, would be willing to help me out with this one. 
Short Time Livin'...

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 06:27:09 PM »
I'm hoping that my Guzzi neighbor, Chuck, would be willing to help me out with this one.

Jim.. I would. Shhhh. Don't tell anyone. There are people that would have me working on their bikes as if it was a full time job. For free, of course.
I'll show you how you can do it yourself. Send me a PM, and we can get together.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 06:36:44 PM »
  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 10:51:17 PM »
Like your choice of colors.
Here’s mine :boozing: :boozing:

66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 11:05:51 PM »
:1: That's gotta feel good!
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 10:08:05 AM »
Thanks again for all of the positives, folks.  This has been a much needed small victory for me!
Short Time Livin'...

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 10:15:59 AM »
Jim, that's pretty cool! :thumb:

Perhaps I'll get to see it at a rally one of these days. (Hint hint.) Say oh Kentucky or Ohio.

John Henry

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 09:42:54 AM »
Possibly the Kentucky Rally, John, but all I've found on that is that it is in late September.  By then the bike will have earned my trust... or not.  :grin:  I've got a dirt event that I do with my son on Labor Day, so Zanesville is out.  Then there's the missus...  :thewife:  I've had to give up the Kentucky Kickdown and Mid-Ohio because she thinks I've got too many motorcycle trips planned.  By then she will have either forgotten or made me move out into the garage with all of my two-wheeled friends. 
Short Time Livin'...

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 09:52:28 AM »
Looking at the list of other bikes, this one should fit right in.  Also, from that list, you must like to tinker, again, a great fit.  I predict you will enjoy this bike, they have a unique handling and feel to them.  If you come to the KY rally, I will be happy to welcome you with a cold beer.
Blue Guzz

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 09:34:38 AM »
 :thumb:
Short Time Livin'...

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here