Author Topic: Checked Bassa gearbox oil, looked wonderful - now thinking clutch mechanisms...  (Read 1200 times)

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
I am going to drop the gearbox oil this afternoon and look for shards.

I have memories of carefully measuring a precise amount last time I changed it, but my records do not show what that amount was.

Nor does my searches of the forum, the internet, my bike manual, or my collection of emails.

Are any of you online this fine morning in possession of this knowledge and can share your recommendation? EV 11 Bassa, 1999, running Sta-Lube GL-4 in the gearbox.

Thank you -
Norman

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 07:59:26 PM by normzone »
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Brain fart - Correct volume of oil for the Bassa gearbox?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 12:04:43 PM »
750cc of any 80/90 at the store. I like Valvolene.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Brain fart - Correct volume of oil for the Bassa gearbox?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 12:58:29 PM »
Thank you [guzzisteve] - I'll report on test results tonight.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
Oil got changed 2K miles early today to look for transmission chunks, now thinking I have a clutch issue. One tiny aluminum flake and three microdots of brass were all that came out with the trans oil.

Let it run, shut it down, as it shuts down grinding sound appears to come from bell housing area at shut down.

Also, pulling up to light, go to neutral as slowing, let clutch out and it sounds grindy for moment then goes away.

I wonder if it spat a clutch spring or rivet, or plate shard. I guess I could get all exploratory through that tiny viewport, but they didn't expect much observation to be done there judging by the size.

Wildguzzi.com

oldbike54

You need one of those fancy little cameras on the end of a snakie thingie Norm  :grin:

Dusty

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Dusty beat me to it. Those things are amazing.. and cheap. (Guzzi content)
It's sounding more and more like clutch plate thingys that have come from together.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

pete roper

I'm betting the center has torn out of one of the plates. Time to go in for a looksee.

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
Ooh, not THAT I have no problems rationalizing. They start cheap and get pricey, but NDE equipment I can always find a rationale for. And compared to the price (parts/labor) of a gearbox or clutch, that's a bucket drop.

I wonder where the sweet spot is and if any forum members have already made their choices ....

oldbike54

Ooh, not THAT I have no problems rationalizing. They start cheap and get pricey, but NDE equipment I can always find a rationale for. And compared to the price (parts/labor) of a gearbox or clutch, that's a bucket drop.

I wonder where the sweet spot is and if any forum members have already made their choices ....

Oh you will probably still have to tear it down  :evil:

Dusty

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
Yeah, I never had any doubt about that. And while the gearbox is out, even if it's only to get at the clutch, why wouldn't you take a look in there ? (somebody please tell me a reason)

pete roper

You'd have a look, shim the drum and throw in a pair of 3205AC3 bearings. Have a look at fifth gear, some of them around that build time were a bit ropey. Re-seal it and it'll probably see you out.

Pete

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
If you can't get some help local to you, we might be able to tear it apart in my garage. I'm about 2 hours away from you though. I have never been farther in to the trans area than the rear trans seal, but I've read a bit and looked at pics. I would guess that it would take most of a day to get the trans out. PR might say I'm FOS on the time, but I've never done it before. I don't take transmissions apart, I leave that to a shop. But if it's just the clutch, that's fairly easy, but would need a 4mm alignment tool I think. I only have the 2mm tool.

If you need my help, the closest shop is Guzzi Classics. He "may" have clutch parts for the newer bike. I would call to make sure.

That's a nice looking bike, got a pic of it with my EVT. Good luck!
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here