Author Topic: Moto Morini sold to China's Zhongnen for 10millions  (Read 3399 times)

Online Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
Moto Morini sold to China's Zhongnen for 10millions
« on: October 11, 2018, 08:04:53 AM »
https://www.motorbox.com/moto/magazine-moto/moto-novita/i-cinesi-di-zhongneng-comprano-la-moto-morini-per-10-milioni-di-euro

Google translate:

"A PIECE OF HISTORY ... That goes away, even the Moto Morini gives in to the charm of the powerful Chinese money . Just yesterday Ruggiero Jannuzzelli and Mr. Chen Huaneng, owner of the Chinese two-wheeler Zhongneng, have found the agreement for the sale of the Italian Brand for a figure close to 10 million euros.

TURBULATED PAST The recent past of Morini has not been at all quiet. In 2011 , after years of maladministration, the bankruptcy , then the arrival of the Jannuzzelli family that has revived the fortunes, moving production in the Milan hinterland and launching new models, almost craft-like.

FUTURE PROMETTENT The press release issued by Morini suggests a bright future for the brand and its employees: " Mr. Chen, president of Zhongneng has major projects to increase the company's business that will remain in Italy , projects that concern both current products and new models even with different displacements ". "We are certain - concludes the statement - to entrust Moto Morini, its employees, its suppliers and its loyal customers to an important industrial reality that will make the company grow well."
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 02:09:47 PM by Steph »

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Re: Moto Morini sold to China's Zhongnen for 10millions
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 08:07:39 AM »
https://www.motorbox.com/moto/magazine-moto/moto-novita/i-cinesi-di-zhongneng-comprano-la-moto-morini-per-10-milioni-di-euro

Google translate:

"A PIECE OF HISTORY ... That goes away, even the Moto Morini gives in to the charm of the powerful Chinese money . Just yesterday Ruggiero Jannuzzelli and Mr. Chen Huaneng, owner of the Chinese two-wheeler Zhongneng, have found the agreement for the sale of the Italian Brand for a figure close to 10 million euros.

TURBULATED PAST The recent past of Morini has not been at all quiet. In 2011 , after years of maladministration, the bankruptcy , then the arrival of the Jannuzzelli family that has revived the fortunes, moving production in the Milan hinterland and launching new models, almost craft-like.

FUTURE PROMETTENT The press release issued by Morini suggests a bright future for the brand and its employees: " Mr. Chen, president of Zhongneng has major projects to increase the company's business that will remain in Italy , projects that concern both current products and new models even with different displacements ". "We are certain - concludes the statement - to entrust Moto Morini, its employees, its suppliers and its loyal customers to an important industrial reality that will make the company grow well."

Well, here we GO!  The Chinese certainly have the money and manufacturing capabilities to make this happen! :thumb: :cool: :smiley:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 08:51:32 AM »
Chinese ownership certainly has not hurt Volvo. Though how much real value the Morini name holds is a big question.

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
    • Virginia Moto Guzzi Owners Club
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 10:13:15 AM »
I was a  "road whore" motorcycle accessories sales rep traveling Va. WVa. Md. & DC in the mid 1970's. 'Hermie" was the Morini Importer at the time & he asked me to load a 3 1/2 Morini on my trailer & give it some exposure..(and ride it all I wanted to). A SWEET machine, but (if memory serves) it sold for about $600.00 more than a Yamaha RD 350...which would run rings around it.
I always thought Harley should have made a deal to sell Morini's. The Aermacchi horizontal singles were VERY cool in their own right, but (IMHO) the Morini 350 & 500 V-twins would have been a natural fit in Harley dealerships.
ronkom
THE MOTRESYKLMAN
 Restore, Repair, Accessorize, Buy, Sell & Trade Exotic, Unusual, or Interesting Motorcycles. Guzzi Wrench 35+ years

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 10:13:15 AM »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 11:09:39 AM »
I would think they would be building the newer version V Twin.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Moto

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 11:38:14 AM »
Chinese backer hasnt helped Benelli's presene in the UK, they're advertised but never seen one -and they are own by the Volvo mothership

Benelli is now distributed in the U.S. by SSR Motorsports, which has about 300 dealerships, mostly
in the Eastern U.S., and mostly targeted at the off-road and pit-bike markets, I think.

They plan to increase the proportion of Benelli-branded cycles they offer next year, I read,
maybe by rebranding some of their SSR models, or perhaps by substituting current Benelli-branded
bikes for their current ones. (I think it is the former.)

What's in a name, as someone said? An SSR by any other name would perhaps sell better.

Moto

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 12:06:26 PM »
The Morni has a nice 1200 lineup: naked, scrambler, adventure.  I like all of them. They make a point of saying '100% made in Italy' which is a concern for Benelli possible buyers. That lineup might be a tough sell these days, but they are up my alley.

I really wanted a Grandpasso when I found one online, but the rarity of the brand/parts isn't something I'm interested in right now.

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
  • Former Guzzi, current Beemer & Harley
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 12:24:51 PM »
I always thought Harley should have made a deal to sell Morini's. The Aermacchi horizontal singles were VERY cool in their own right, but (IMHO) the Morini 350 & 500 V-twins would have been a natural fit in Harley dealerships.
ronkom

Yeah, until they bought 50% then 95% them pulled the plug!

I always wanted to see the Morini Turbo!
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 12:38:17 PM »
I was a  "road whore" motorcycle accessories sales rep traveling Va. WVa. Md. & DC in the mid 1970's. 'Hermie" was the Morini Importer at the time & he asked me to load a 3 1/2 Morini on my trailer & give it some exposure..(and ride it all I wanted to). A SWEET machine, but (if memory serves) it sold for about $600.00 more than a Yamaha RD 350...which would run rings around it.
ronkom

At one time Harley was considering buying Morini and had a "Sportsterized" 3 1/2 prototype built for evaluation. Testers found it "too slow" and "vibrated excessively", so the deal was off. A properly running 3 1/2 is neither of those of course, so it makes me wonder how they came to those conclusions. Could have been that a Harley employee, tired of dealing with Italian "idiosyncrasies" for years, sabotaged the effort.  :grin: Or the flip side: a Morini employee didn't want the company to end up like Aermacchi...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 12:39:23 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline kirb

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 02:52:46 PM »
At one time Harley was considering buying Morini and had a "Sportsterized" 3 1/2 prototype built for evaluation. Testers found it "too slow" and "vibrated excessively", so the deal was off.

Harley closed down Buell and didn't entertain offers from BRP: 'it was too integrated and too difficult a task'
Harley bought MV, invested a ton, and sold for $4... Italy won't let you shut them down despite the excuse it was standalone.

Some executive BS, me thinks.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 03:25:32 PM »
Chinese backer hasnt helped Benelli's presene in the UK, they're advertised but never seen one -and they are own by the Volvo mothership

A few around here, perhaps far more Benellis than I saw anytim outside of the '70s.

Of course we (and you) are not the target market. They seem to be well received in India.

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 04:31:20 PM »
At one time Harley was considering buying Morini and had a "Sportsterized" 3 1/2 prototype built for evaluation. Testers found it "too slow" and "vibrated excessively", so the deal was off. A properly running 3 1/2 is neither of those of course, so it makes me wonder how they came to those conclusions. Could have been that a Harley employee, tired of dealing with Italian "idiosyncrasies" for years, sabotaged the effort.  :grin: Or the flip side: a Morini employee didn't want the company to end up like Aermacchi...

Interesting.  I can't believe Harley faulted anyone for vibrating excessively.  Hell, that used to be their trademark. 

You might be right about the sabotage, on both sides.

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 05:13:25 PM »
The Morini employees created the Excalibur,
a face only a mother would love

I wish I could blame it on Cagiva buying them, but that happened the year after the Excalibur was introduced. I chalk that up to desperation - trying anything to sell bikes. Cruisers were popular back then.
Charlie

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 06:16:36 PM »
Right, good thing cruisres are such a tiny market share today!?$&@
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 07:10:43 PM »

With Kev m on the back, I would totally do Sturgis on that thing.
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 07:13:16 PM »
Oh, for sure, he will  be all over that!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 07:16:19 PM »
Hee,hee
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 08:00:56 AM »
Interesting.  I can't believe Harley faulted anyone for vibrating excessively.  Hell, that used to be their trademark. 

Maybe that's what they mean by "Sportsterized"
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 08:07:05 AM »
Wow! The Ducati Indiana is beautiful in comparison..  :evil:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2018, 12:15:31 PM »
Wow! The Ducati Indiana is beautiful in comparison..  :evil:
Other than the wheels I still dig it:

Then there is this too:

....Guzzi content
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2018, 04:01:01 PM »
The Milano's future is bright, post the 30 special edition built in-house available late October, they are setting up mass production, in Italy, at a lower cost available in 2019:

Be still my heart, GASP!  Made in Italy by Italians?  Show me to the dealership.  Just make me a solid red one with a little cafe fairing, please.
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Moto

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2018, 07:33:33 PM »

To me, this is exactly what's wrong with modern motorcycling. To think this thing has any relationship to the historical 350cc Morini, genetically or in intent, is preposterous.

But thanks for posting it.

Moto
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 07:34:05 PM by Moto »

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2018, 07:57:07 PM »
If this is the same engine they've been using the last few years, it was, I believe, designed by the same person who designed the 350.

What more could you want? Timing belts?

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2018, 10:09:09 PM »
If this is the same engine they've been using the last few years, it was, I believe, designed by the same person who designed the 350.

Yes, designed by Lambertini.
Charlie

Moto

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2018, 10:54:58 PM »

It doesn't matter who designed it. What matters is what it is.

Moto

pete roper

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2018, 05:54:22 AM »
The Milano's future is bright, post the 30 special edition built in-house available late October, they are setting up mass production, in Italy, at a lower cost available in 2019:

That is an astonishingly ugly motorbike!

I am confident it handles well and goes like shit off a shiny shovel but it looks like something from a Lego catalogue!

Pete

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2018, 08:09:42 AM »

Moto

Agreed-to a point.

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2018, 08:24:49 AM »
To me, this is exactly what's wrong with modern motorcycling. To think this thing has any relationship to the historical 350cc Morini, genetically or in intent, is preposterous.

Moto

This is why Harley is stuck in a rut.
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2018, 08:45:35 AM »
That little 250 Buccaneer or whatever that is being sold with a recycled Virago engine is closer to the intent of the 3 1/2 than this bike.

Not that it matters really. Neither that nor this Morini revival is in my sights at all, but dismissing a brand revival because it doesn't make bikes like the original seems odd, since if the original was viable it would have continued.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2018, 07:17:40 PM »

i think it looks awesome
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here