Author Topic: The millennials ruined motorcycles -- NY Times. Discuss.  (Read 7535 times)

Moto

The millennials ruined motorcycles -- NY Times. Discuss.
« on: October 12, 2018, 07:39:06 AM »
The millennials "ruined lunch, motorcycles and marriage," says an opinion writer in today's New York Times.

Did they? If so, how? Discuss.

Moto

Extra credit: How did they ruin lunch and marriage?

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
Re: The millennials ruined motorcycles -- NY Times. Discuss.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 07:57:44 AM »
As you stated, 'opinion writer'. They haven't ruined motorcycles for me. If you engage in groupthink or herd mentality, you may see it differently. I see it indifferenty.

Bill Lovelady             IS
Eskimo Spy
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 08:03:18 AM »
Lunch.. artisan. Motorcycles.. bobbers with knobbies. Marriage.. they don't do that. Easy. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline timonbik

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 08:11:20 AM »
Motorcycle companies ruined the style of motorcycles chasing the millennial market share.  Bikes now have to look like something out of the Transformers  TV cartoon and whats with the "beek" on all the new bikes. 
2008 BREVA 750
2020 V85TT ADV rosso
2016 APRILIA SHIVER 750
2013 VICTORY JUDGE CUSTOM
2013 VICTORY XR CLASSIC
2006 VICTORY V92TC
2006 DUCATI MULTISTRADA 620 (IN DUCATI HEAVEN)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 08:11:20 AM »

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
  • Former Guzzi, current Beemer & Harley
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 08:15:14 AM »
They've certainly ruined the look of new motorcycles.  But I never wanna go back to skinny forks, carbs and drum brakes.  I just want a motorcycle to look like a motorcycle.  And I want my Luxury Tourer to look like this:
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 08:26:08 AM »

During my  55+ years of riding motorcycling and motorcycles have  only gotten better for me. That's not my opinion, it's my actual experience.   :laugh:

I really don't give a fiddlers f*** about the opinion of others, that's old lady gossip,  nuff said.

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Online kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 09:02:14 AM »
well, the author explains the lunch statement (Mayo is out...too bland) but he doesn't expound on the Motorcycles or the Marriage comment, so we're left to surmise.

Guessing he doens't like the retro reboot (Royal Enfields, Bonnevilles and V7's as exhibit A) OR he thinks, as a Boomer, that a dressed Heritage is the epitome of 2 wheeled nirvana, and HD is reeling due to the punks wanting simple bikes to ride with their rolled jeans, waxed cotton and Halcyon's. *shrug*
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 10:09:25 AM »
Sprinkle some paprika on your mayo and it becomes aoli... right?  A little garlic in there too, perhaps?  Everyone makes their own choices, but around here (check local listings) it seems millenials have either a plethora of low paying jobs to choose from or astronomical student debt.  Meanwhile, the Pandora's Box of technology marches on at its overwhelming pace with the $10,000 motorcycle waiting for someone who gives a rat's patoot (fiddler's f... had been used already :laugh:).   
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 10:33:49 AM »
Are millennials buying motorcycles? :shocked:

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 12:42:02 PM »
If anything, bikes have been brought back to a place where "bigger, louder, manlier" isn't the sign of a "real motorcycle" anymore. 350s, 500s, 750s... it's nice to see them back, and not "sneered at" (by anyone other than the old guard that can't see beyond "bigger numbers mean better").

Nah, I see a return to the bikes I always liked. I'm seeing a bigger drive towards classic styling. Those "transformer" bikes? Those aren't millennials driving that movement, that started a while ago, and I'd be happy the see that crap vanish entirely.

Millennials aren't "ruining" anything... they're facing tougher economic times than any of us ever did, and they're adapting to it the best they can. I may not agree with some of the attitudes and opinions that are gathering steam, but I do agree with much of it. It ain't my world anymore... I'm on cruise control in the slow lane, it's their turn to take over the fast lane and get where they need to be.

Which leads into the rest of the article... I think they DO need to vote. My only worry is that an uninformed vote is worse than no vote at all.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 01:19:22 PM by Toecutter »
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 02:17:50 PM »
The US unemployment rate is at its lowest since 1969 so the economy is pretty good for millenials and everybody else.  The issue with motorcycling is that older people have a great amount of money in 2018, more than ever before in history.  There are a lot of them and some of them are spending it on very expensive motorcycles.  BMWs sales are booming riding the wave of 'get the best now before I croak' buyers.  The isn't the 1970s when motorcycles made in low income countries were competing for young people's money in richer countries.  As a result, until recently millenials were ignored by the manufacturers, until the manufacturers figured out that the wealthy older people were once younger people with smaller budgets who developed their interest in motorcycling at a younger age.

Millenials aren't spoiling motorcycling, older people with wads of cash are warping motorcycling by virtue of their buying power.  Younger people are buying what is offered to them, which until recently wasn't much.  My advice to them has been to buy used, as the vanity and wealth of the old drives them to buy newer and (especially) more expensive bikes being pitched to them, they are casting off stuff which often has better long term value. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 02:58:16 PM by Tusayan »

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 02:28:17 PM »
The US unemployment rate is at its lowest since 1969 so the economy is pretty good for millenials and everybody else.  The issue with motorcycling is that older people have a great of money in 2018, more than ever before in history.  There are a lot of them and some of them are spending it on very expensive motorcycles.  BMWs sales are booming riding the wave of 'get the best now before I croak' buyers.  The isn't the 1970s when motorcycles made in low income countries were competing for young people's money in richer countries.  As a result, until recently millenials were ignored by the manufacturers, until the manufacturers figured out that the wealthy older people were once younger people with smaller budgets who developed their interest in motorcycling at a younger age.

Millenials aren't spoiling motorcycling, older people with wads of cash are warping motorcycling by virtue of their buying power.  Younger people are buying what is offered to them, which until recently wasn't much.  My advice to them has been to buy used, as the vanity and wealth of the old drives them to buy newer and (especially) more expensive bikes being pitched to them, they are casting off stuff which often has better long term value.

How far does a buck go now, compared to the 70s? Unemployment isn't the only thing at play here, and isn't the only thing that defines a good economy.

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 02:36:54 PM »
Once electric motorcycles become "mainstream", I think millenials will jump on board.
 Most millenials I know(  some of my sons friends) dont want to get their hands greasy.
They want a bike that will be ready to go at a moments notice,that is quiet, clean, and require very little maintenance.
 When you look at what a company like zero motorcycles is offering, I think thats the type of bike that will appeal to millenials.
Everything changes, and there is a huge shift in trends when it comes to motorcycles these days.
I think  in the next 5-10 years, there are going to be big changes in motorcycling, both recreationally, and for transportation. I can see many of us here having at least one electric motorcycle in the stable.
I think I am ready...
Rick
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 02:40:46 PM »
Most millenials I know (some of my sons friends) dont want to get their hands greasy. They want a bike that will be ready to go at a moments notice,that is quiet, clean, and require very little maintenance.

Like a 1960's Honda when compared to state of the art 1959.  The more things seem to change, the more they stay the same.  The difference in 2018 is that older people have more buying power and are directing the market to their 'mature' demand...  unlike in the 1960s when today's large numbers of wealthy older people were at that time large numbers of younger people buying what Honda accurately figured out young people want.  Its hard to be mainstream hip and attract a high status mate while spending your weekends fixing your motorcycle.  :grin:

I could see electric bikes doing something similar if they can reduce prices.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 02:56:36 PM by Tusayan »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 03:16:07 PM »
How far does a buck go now, compared to the 70s? Unemployment isn't the only thing at play here, and isn't the only thing that defines a good economy.

$20 today has the "purchasing power" of about $3.50 in 1970.

Of course, USA median family income in 1970 was about $10,000.  In 2017, that number was about $61,000.

Lets not let this segue into politics.  Wouldn't be prudent.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2018, 03:21:59 PM »
Didn't think I was, certainly didn't mean to.

Was just trying to show that the modern young person is facing a vastly different world than we did... hell, in the 90s when I went to university, my tuition was about $3800 a year. So, it makes sense that luxury items (like motorcycles) would be in a  transition period.

Wasn't making any statements regarding policy or party, and I absolve myself of any responsibility if this discussion goes that way. Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 03:24:25 PM by Toecutter »

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2018, 03:28:56 PM »
In other news today, an old man screamed, "Get off my lawn!" at a group of younger people.  Film at 11.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 03:37:34 PM »
Didn't think I was, certainly didn't mean to.

Was just trying to show that the modern young person is facing a vastly different world than we did... hell, in the 90s when I went to university, my tuition was about $3800 a year. So, it makes sense that luxury items (like motorcycles) would be in a  transition period.

Wasn't making any statements regarding policy or party.

My $.02:

Motorcycles, for the past 60 years, have benefitted from the postwar baby boom.  Baby Boomers bought Bonnevilles and Cubs and CB750s.  They also bought Mustangs and GTOs and Camaros.  The corporations have lived off this same (large) group of consumers. 

Now, that group of consumers is beginning to age out.  So, it's only natural that corporations will be pivoting to accomodate GenX, and Millenials, and quit focusing so many resources on the boomers.

A big "problem" the Millenials have is the amount of money they spend on media, and other things that boomers never did.  Millenials do have some money.  It's just that many of them would rather spend a few hundered $$$ per month on cellphones and such, rather than on a motorcycle payment.

Priorities, you know...

It's just up to the powersports industry (and others) to figure out how to sway what the Millenials choose to spend their money on...

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/03/01/millennials-overtake-baby-boomers/

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 03:42:51 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline drawnverybadly

• Hatchling
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 03:48:50 PM »
Replying as a millenial,

No one eats lunch unless they're forced to or it's an unpaid hour, eat breakfast and work thru lunch until closing time then grab dinner.

Marriage? Maybe, our rates of marriage are low and we marry at an older age but once we are married our rates of divorce are much lower than boomers and gen-xers.

And was motorcycle ridership ever so widespread in the US that it's been a noticeable decline since Millennials came into driving age? The 2008 global financial crisis caused by boomers crippled the motorcycle industry and it's been slowly clawing its way back since then. I personally think millennial interest in cafe racers, scramblers and now street trackers have been responsible for Moto Guzzi's recent success, but I think Moto Guzzi will be in trouble again, google "Cafe Killers" and "Retrowave" to see where I think the trend is swinging.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 03:53:53 PM by drawnverybadly »

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2018, 03:49:58 PM »
My $.02:

Motorcycles, for the past 60 years, have benefitted from the postwar baby boom.  Baby Boomers bought Bonnevilles and Cubs and CB750s.  They also bought Mustangs and GTOs and Camaros.  The corporations have lived off this same (large) group of consumers. 

Now, that group of consumers is beginning to age out.  So, it's only natural that corporations will be pivoting to accomodate GenX, and Millenials, and quit focusing so many resources on the boomers.

A big "problem" the Millenials have is the amount of money they spend on media, and other things that boomers never did.  Millenials do have some money.  It's just that many of them would rather spend a few hundered $$$ per month on cellphones and such, rather than on a motorcycle payment.

Priorities, you know...

It's just up to the powersports industry (and others) to figure out how to sway what the Millenials choose to spend their money on...

As a Gen-Xer, I gotta say, other than a pretty sweet period of music and t-shirts, I never felt particularly catered to, It always felt that the boomers still took precedence, and then somewhere in the early 2000s, it all started to change a bit. Maybe that's just me, though.

I agree that the priority for dollars is different right now, for sure (for many, not all of course, but we're all reasonable, and I'm pretty sure that I didn't need to clarify that, but there it is). I see a lot more early 80s small-bore bikes on the road now than I have in my lifetime, as well a higher proportion of scooters, so my gut says that money is definitely a driving factor for those who DO choose to ride.

That said, it was for me, too. I bought my first street-"worthy" bike for $700, and it hurt to spend the money, as an apprentice cook.

There's more at play for sure, attitudes regarding motorcyclists in general, environmental concerns... conversations I've had in some other non-bike forums show a vastly different attitude towards the "wisdom" of riding bikes among certain demographics.

Thought, to be fair, I also see a truly different approch to things when comparing Urban and Rural opinions. Kids out my way all still want their dirt bikes and snowmobiles and quads... but many of them are leaving for more urban opportunities, too.

Ehh. I'm not getting any younger, and as I said, it's not my world anymore. But it sure is interesting to watch.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2018, 03:51:47 PM »
My $.02:

Priorities, you know...

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/03/01/millennials-overtake-baby-boomers/

Very good opinion........

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2018, 03:53:09 PM »
$20 today has the "purchasing power" of about $3.50 in 1970.

Of course, USA median family income in 1970 was about $10,000.  In 2017, that number was about $61,000.

Lets not let this segue into politics.  Wouldn't be prudent.

The big diff. is things that were once luxury items are now disposable...

computers, microwaves, mobile phones, washer/dryers
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2018, 03:53:38 PM »
As a Gen-Xer, I gotta say, other than a pretty sweet period of music and t-shirts, I never felt particularly catered to, It always felt that the boomers still took precedence, and then somewhere in the early 2000s, it all started to change a bit. Maybe that's just me, though.

As a fellow GenXer, I know what you mean...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2018, 03:55:52 PM »
The big diff. is things that were once luxury items are now disposable...

computers, microwaves, mobile phones, washer/dryers

Kids spend $1000 on an iPhone, then hundreds per month to use it, and access media.

Never before did using a telephone cost so much...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2018, 03:56:30 PM »
Replying as a millenial,

No one eats lunch unless they're forced to or it's an unpaid hour, eat breakfast and work thru lunch until closing time then grab dinner.
True but also true of my parent's generation (pre-boomers)
Marriage? Maybe, our rates of marriage are low and we marry at an older age but once we are married our rates of divorce are much lower than boomers and gen-xers.
Kudos, fixed something we've been screwing up for years.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 03:56:47 PM by oilhed »
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2018, 03:58:34 PM »
I'm sure the moto companies will find ways into the Millenials' wallets...

It will just take those companies some time to wean off of the Boomers.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 05:00:25 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2018, 03:59:37 PM »
True but also true of my parent's generation (pre-boomers)Kudos, fixed something we've been screwing up for years.

Yeah, I've never had a paid lunch break in my life. and, in my trade... there were precious few lunch breaks at all. We just worked through that unpaid half hour.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2018, 04:10:54 PM »
 Our 25 year old grandson is interested in modified high power Diesel PU trucks,mud racing, snowmobiles and jetski's.....And women....He admires my bikes but really has no interest in owning one. 23 year grand daughter would be interested in bikes but is a graduate student with limited funds...20 year old neigbor's kid wants a bike but his mom says no...He lives at home.......Another 20 or so year old down the street rides a very loud Victory...His dad rides a loud Harley........
 I'm 71, most of my friends over the years never rode bikes or even had hot rod cars...

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2018, 04:29:29 PM »
I'm sure the moto companies will find ways into the Millenials' wallets...

It will just take them time to wean off of the Boomers.

Yes, and that may be traumatic unless they grab some of the huge Indian etc market too.  The chart below plus the emphasis on the short term tells you a lot about current motorcycle manufacturer offerings in the US and Europe.  If I go to my local Euro Moto weekly meeting, there are a lot of nice $10-25K bikes and a lot of people in their mid-60s or higher.  Manufacturers paying workers 1st or 2nd world salaries are not currently focusing on millenials because they can't support a business that's developed over time based on selling large volumes of expensive bikes.  However, its worth noting that the steepest increase in income in the current (healthy) economy is with younger people... and that may get some attention because its not just income level that's relevant, its also new income that isn't already dedicated to something else. I think Piaggio/Guzzi is working that niche with the V7s, having failed to attract boomer money that goes after newer and 'better' every year.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 04:54:31 PM by Tusayan »

Offline zebraranger

• Gosling
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2018, 04:32:41 PM »
Modern bikes are so much better in many ways. The one thing that I don't like about certain modern bikes, is the praying mantis look of some of them.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here