Author Topic: Easy way to remove Breva 750 airbox?  (Read 2175 times)

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
Easy way to remove Breva 750 airbox?
« on: October 12, 2018, 10:05:30 AM »
I need to remove it to do some servicing and I am wondering what is the easiest way.
Tank and side covers are off and battery
Does the rear wheel need to be removed and pull the airbox out the rear?
Also the ecu fuse box are attached on the right.
There is oil all over the engine between the jugs and running down and going on everything.
Thanks
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 10:08:41 AM by antmanbee »

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Easy way to remove Breva 750 airbox?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 10:29:44 AM »
Well I've removed two Breva engines and transmissions and have not removed  a Breva airbox. Oil on top of the engine can have several sources, valve cover breather hoses and oil pressure sending unit being the first that come to mind. I can tell you this, do not under any circumstances remove the injector bodies from the rubber manifolds, as recommended in the service manual while removing the engine, they are almost impossible to get back into the rubber manifolds or the rubber manifolds back onto the metal intake manifolds. Remove the airbox connectors instead, still not easy but much more flexible.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 10:54:00 AM »
If the procedure is to remove the eng trans to get the airbox out I will cut it out piece by piece.

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 10:57:37 AM »
That was not what I meant, just that in removing the airbox if the instructions include removing the injector bodies from the manifolds, there are better methods. Have you looked at the service manual?

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 10:57:37 AM »

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 11:09:28 AM »
No I have not looked at the manual.
Not at home now and only have phone for internet.
This is my first small block in about 40 years and I am not familiar.
Who would of thought you need a manual to remove an airbox.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 11:22:05 AM »
Who would of thought you need a manual to remove an airbox.

Who would've thought you need to ask the internet how to remove an airbox...   :evil:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 11:50:40 AM »
Is the Breva  Airbox like my Cal 2 and many other early Tontis, where the whole bike seems to be designed around making it inaccessible? I can see Guzzi making this mistake with mine ('85 vintage), but why would the perpetuate the mistake on later models?

Sorry, wish I could offer constructive help, but be assured you're not the first to have this un-necessary roadblock.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 12:00:07 PM »

Like brider I can be of no help, however my trusty assistant  could be of some help............... ............

Just don't call her Shirley :evil:

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 12:03:49 PM »
On my big block tontis it is a pain but doable. This is a different animal.

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 12:09:07 PM »

Found the oil leak. Hose had no clamp and was disconnected. Hose had fallen down between cylinders. Maybe left off on last valve adj.

Still need to remove airbox.

Offline pat80flh

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 12:27:20 PM »
If it's anything like my V65, I had to remove the battery tray,rear inner fender, then had to drop rear tire to remove air box.
00 Bassa
80 FLH (in rehab)
84 V65C
75 850T prject

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 03:12:52 PM »
Why exactly does the airbox need to come off?

I've dismantled a Breva, and it looks like the airbox is the last thing to come off the frame, even after the wiring loom. Looks like it was designed that way. Access to the bolts on the frame lugs otherwise is too restricted. When I changed the clutch on the 2TB V7 (same motor & airbox as the Breva), I removed the rear wheel & axle, the bottom frame rails & engine mounts, the throttle bodies (as the plate joining the 2 throttle bodies covers "the Screw of Doom" - the top bolt of the bell housing - and wheeled the frame off the engine. The engine then had a thorough cleaning - degreaser & scrubbing brushes - it needed it. I left the airbox, the wiring loom and all the front end on the frame. On re-assembly, the longest time was spent learning how to manhandle the manifold rubbers getting the throttle bodies back on. It can be done - there is technique, strength & persistence involved.

Good luck. It IS a learning experience.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 03:17:04 PM »
I'm back home on my computer and have found a service manual but there is no mention of airbox removal and I have not found anything with google searches.
I imagine the removal is similar to early v7, but not a VII or VIII.
pat80flh , I think it is probably similar to your V65 but it may be a bit different due to FI vs carbs.

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 03:29:18 PM »
It is a huge oily mess, so if for nothing else I want to remove it to clean it all up.
I may decide to not put it back in. I am sure I will catch some flack for saying that. I have my own system for filtering and breather box.
Also the fuel level sensor does not work and it may possibly involve pulling the internal fuel pump/filter assembly to fix this. If so I may relocate the fuel filter outside of the tank for easy access and I would need some room which the airbox uses all of.

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 04:52:42 PM »
I cut it up into pieces and got it out. I don't think it comes out the rear as I pulled the fender behind the battery and it was still no go.
I am not going to miss it. I now have many options on battery placement or size and placement of ecu and other things.
I have access to the clutch arm and cable end, the oil pressure sender and everything around the engine is easy to access.
I bet it will run cooler especially in slow or stopped traffic as there is now much more open air around the inner fins on the cylinders.
And it looks better. Everything is all nice and clean now on the top of the engine.
Now I just have to construct a breather box.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2018, 05:25:11 PM »
Now that's biting the bullet. The breather box in your Breva (and the 2TB V7s & injected Nevada's) does take up an unholy amount of space & gets in the way of doing lots of things, not to mention the awkward filter replacement. It will certainly look better without it. Let us know how it all turns out (with photos, please).

The not working fuel level sensor? It's a brass-looking rod running down beside the pump with wires attached. Might just need cleaning, with any luck. The water overflow nozzle on a mate's Breva blocked up with corrosion, water came into the fuel, and the fuel regulator rusted up. Now that I've had lots of practice disconnecting tanks & taking out fuel pumps, i find it easy enough to manage & I no longer have any pressing desire to relocate the filter - I'm quite happy for it to stay in there. I'd be keeping an eye out for a cheap second hand fuel pump - I know the 2TB V7 ones work fine in a Breva, and most Guzzi pumps & some Ducati ones are variations upon the theme.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Bisbee

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2018, 06:51:10 PM »
So, one day I decided to remove the injectors on my 98 V11 EV to have them cleaned by a professional. 7 hours later I had them out. A good deal of that was figuring out how to take that air box out! 5 hours to put it back together. Mainly fiddling with the air box and the intake tubes. A neighbor came by and listened to me muttering, etc and wisely left. A definite learning curve! And yes , the injectors made a huge improvement.
94 R100R Mystic , 92 K75S, 98 EV, 17 Stelvio NTX

Offline antmanbee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2018, 08:27:26 PM »
Your EV is a piece of cake by comparison. It is at least removable without splitting the frame.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here