Author Topic: Anybody installed a SpeedHut Rev counter on a 16M ECU bike, Got a question.  (Read 1024 times)

Online Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
I'm just about finished wiring in the new gauges to the Sporti, but one thing bothers me a little and I wondered if anybody had done anything similar and what their experience was.

In the Speedhut kit is a 4.7k Resistor and they state that this should be tied into the +12 at one end and then into the ECU tach signal on the other end, for an engine speed pickup signal supplied from an ECU.

I was wondering if it was required for the Guzzi as auto's I ASS-ume could be entirely different to the 16M installed. Mine is actually running a MyECU but I'm guessing the output from MyECU and a standard 16M would be the same (providing the throttle position option is disabled)

In the end I can wire it in, in such a way that if it doesn't work with the resistor I can simply cut the resistor out if the signal but I wondered, if anybody had been in a similar position.

While on the topic anybody know the pulses per rev sent to the standard tach and the voltage of the pickup signal is (again I am thinking 12V but it could be something different like 5V I guess)?

Picture of the dash prior to install, I'll post up some more when finished. I just started on this for 2 reasons

I disliked the blue speedo, although I'm now unsure if the 2 Speedhut gauges are really much of an improvement to justify the cost and hassle
With the Sfida 1100 fairing the screen is not as upright as Guzzis's offering, the result is that the dash warning lights are all but impossible to read, so at least the new one will improve that situation (I hope) 

John

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Cliff may know the answers for the MyECU requirements.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline earemike

• Lurker
  • Gosling
    • A place for me to park on the web
I used the yellow wire on my V11 no problems. On the V11 forum back then some had, some hadn’t (resistor that is)..

Been going strong for years.

Don’t recall the pulses but knowing my idle revs it was easy to set up - think I started at 2 then went to 1.

Nice looking gauges.
850 T3
850 LeMans killer goose or somesutch I’m told
850 LeMans
850 LeMans II (I've butchered it by fitting a round headlight & removing the front faring.)
SP1000 Stucchi
V11 Ballabio
V7 Sport (needs a little work)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
I didn't use a resistor on my VII Sport, it also had a MyECU
If you read the Speedhut specs the inputs have a very wide range.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

Online Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
Thanks all

I'm only really learning about electronics, I know enough just to be dangerous. I took it that the resistor was there to drop the supply voltage down and lift the input signal threshold voltage but could be entirely wrong.

So no resistor it is, it will be a while before I can tell if it works but I'll post back and close it out either way

The large range of both pulses and pulse input voltage along with the tin profile was what made me purchase them as opposed to the Marshall gauges which were the type I peferred but a lot of the spec on them made them marginal in several areas and once something comes from US to UK you better be sure it will work because returning can be a nightmare on higher value items

I'd have purchased it with a black bezel

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here