Author Topic: relaxing. can't do it.  (Read 3964 times)

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
relaxing. can't do it.
« on: March 24, 2017, 05:42:59 AM »
I cannot relax.

When I'm not activily doing something, I get bored. Even doing something I like to do like swimming or sitting in a sauna , after a bit I wanna do something else.

Now, my European friends can sit around for hours, wasting time, BSing about all kinds of stuff, but I soon tire of that and need to move on to something new.

Bicycling and motorcycle riding are different . I'm doing something . I don't get bored. But just sitting, even or especially in a bar with a beer (who wants to be sitting inside?) bores me. Drinking a beer and wandering around a Guzzi rally is o.k. That's fun!

Reading is also okay. For a while.  But then I get an urge to do something, anything, even dishes.  I hate doing  dishes.

And you?
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: relaxing. can't do it.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 05:56:13 AM »
That's why I drive a truck, see something new everyday, why I ride my bike, when I'm not driving the truck and when I drink beer I do it at home in my garage looking at my bikes, never gets old for some reason. :boozing: shrug.
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 06:00:03 AM »
learn to play the drums....or don't learn, just play them anyway  :violent1:

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 06:14:23 AM »
learn to play the drums....or don't learn, just play them anyway  :violent1:

Haha! I used to play the drums😂😂  now I'm going to get an electric bass guitar and get me a job with a German country and western band. That's the plan, anyway 😊
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 06:14:23 AM »

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 06:23:09 AM »
On a serious note. Try hiking. The more you do it, the more addicted you become. If you have a dog, bring them along.

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 06:26:08 AM »
I never understood sitting in a bar just looking for something chat about either. Now people go to the bar and stare at thier phone and chat with someone somewhere else. Makes perfect sense.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Bill Hagan

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 07:00:25 AM »

Funny thread.

On the bright side, you won't do dishes very long.   :wink:

I haven't been bored since the '50's, when my parents made it clear -- sometimes in annoying but effective ways -- that there was always something to do.   :shocked:

Seriously, I think you may have simply discovered or confirmed that you are a hunter, not a gatherer.  I appreciate the latter, but am grateful to among the former.  :grin: 

Best,

Bill

P.S.  I, too, am a "retired" drummer, tho prefer the rudimental side of things.  For family reasons, just had to cancel attendance at this: https://www.usard.org.  Kathi pretended to be sad.   :thewife:  I played in all sorts of bands, from rock to balling-alley lounges, to Big Band, etc., to pay my way through college and law school.  Just when I thought she had no memory left beyond our names, my 96-YO mom asked me recently if I still played drums!  I am taking sticks and pad down next week to show her I still can.   :grin:

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 07:13:38 AM »
On a serious note. Try hiking. The more you do it, the more addicted you become. If you have a dog, bring them along.

Better yet do this with a good mate plus their dog as well - that's what I'm up to tomorrow

Breakfast and Lunch are crucial to this therapy
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

britman

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 07:34:55 AM »
I have been fully retired for about the last six weeks.  At 68 I left full time employment at a automotive paint suppler for two reasons, first to be home for my Wife's full knee replacement procedure and secondly the business went from family owned to being bought out by a large corporation.  This was my third or fourth career after retiring from law enforcement many years back.  I have enjoyed them all and worked with a lot great folks along the way but I thought maybe it was time to really retire, "NOT".  I too cannot sit and watch television all day, you have to have some structure and goals to full fill on a daily basics.  Of course since my entering my new retirement status the weather here has gone to crap, a late winter freeze in the early spring. Riding has been out of the picture.  It is just a matter of time and I will be working again, I am shooting for 2 to 3 days a week just to keep busy and generate cheap beer money.  I will have to say my bikes, car, and truck have never been cleaner and more up to date on maintenance, come on warm weather. 

Yogidozer, I concur on the hiking thing, my old dog and I have logged quite a few miles recently at local State Park with miles of trails along the Potomac River.   I have started a collection of fossilized sharks teeth and also realized I am in better shape than the dog.........

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 07:40:05 AM »
Some would say (but I would disagree) that if you get a Moto Guzzi, you'll always have something to repair, to keep you busy.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Bill Hagan

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 07:42:11 AM »
Some would say (but I would disagree) that if you get a Moto Guzzi, you'll always have something to repair, to keep you busy.

THAT is very funny.

Kathi just rolled her eyes when I laughed and showed her your post.

Bill

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 08:07:20 AM »
THAT is very funny.

Kathi just rolled her eyes when I laughed and showed her your post.

Bill
If I've learned anything from participating on this forum, it's that one person's attempt at humor is another's grave insult.  I've been called a few nasty things after just trying to be funny.  I hope no one considers my comment above to be the ranting of a Guzzi-bashing troll.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 08:14:42 AM »
 Drink Kava.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 08:26:30 AM »

Welcome to the world of "Type-A" personalities...(can't sit still) :rolleyes: :shocked:

Agree with hiking...A nice, long 3-5 mile hike with mother nature or several hours is FREE...and guaranteed to give you a good nights sleep! :wink: :thumb: :cool:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 08:27:08 AM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
'14 Victory Vision Tour
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 11:48:54 AM »
"Boredom, an affliction of the wealthy"

My Grandfather.

Brilliant...love it! 

Nothing wrong with bouncing from one activity to another...that should stem any boredom.  Perhaps writing a book or memoirs might provide an outlet for non physical activities when you cannot get out and cycle or ride the bike.  Given the wealth of new opportunities to explore where you live, I'd say just do exactly that.  Your pace and rhythm doesn't have to match your German neighbors who have been there all their life and don't see much novelty around them anymore.

How about taking the bike on the Nurburgring, or taking a driving course with Walter Rohrl, or plan an adventure all around Europe by bicycle, or walk the Camino to Santiago de Compostela...30 km a day walking will give you forward motion, physical exercise, solitary time to ponder the world and/or socialize as much as you want.  Or go explore places you feel nervous about going, like Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Croatia...all amazing places with tons of opportunities to explore....or learn 3-4 languages!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 12:35:14 PM »

Welcome to the world of "Type-A" personalities...(can't sit still) :rolleyes: :shocked:

[/quote]

Bingo!  I can start projects, get everything rolling along and not finish. Classic case of type A.
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 12:39:44 PM »

How about taking the bike on the Nurburgring, or taking a driving course with Walter Rohrl, or plan an adventure all around Europe by bicycle, or walk the Camino to Santiago de Compostela...30 km a day walking will give you forward motion, physical exercise, solitary time to ponder the world and/or socialize as much as you want.  Or go explore places you feel nervous about going, like Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Croatia...all amazing places with tons of opportunities to explore....or learn 3-4 languages!
[/quote]

I would love to do those things,BUT, during the week  I work  and on the weekend I am married 😀

And right now my wife is very unhealthy. Gotta stick around and take care of her.

Maybe next year.
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 12:42:00 PM »
I've got a million things to do - places to ride, 6 bikes to get on the road, one car to rewire and recommission, three tractors that need my attention, acres and acres of land to clear or bushhog, a big garden to work, grandchildren to see, various mission projects to help with ....

... but I'm perfectly satisfied to stretch out in a chair on the porch, with a stack of books and a cooler next to me, and read all ... day .... long.   I NEVER get an itch to "go do something".   I do it, but it's not my first option.   I worked every day for someone for 45 years, time for something else that doesn't require so much "doing".

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 02:56:21 PM »
I'm re-doing my kitchen, settling my parent's estate, caring for stock, mowing, weeding, leveling a spot for a Conex box, caring for old folks, riding bicycles/motorcycles, maintaining equipment, walking dogs... Retirement is killing me...just as much work, but not as much help!
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 03:14:43 PM »
 I'm always doing something...or want to do something...I would get bored on a typical vacation...I  dislike long road trips, bike or car...But I do read and now I'm typing but heading toward boredom............ ...............

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 04:12:53 PM »
I'm re-doing my kitchen, settling my parent's estate, caring for stock, mowing, weeding, leveling a spot for a Conex box, caring for old folks, riding bicycles/motorcycles, maintaining equipment, walking dogs... Retirement is killing me...just as much work, but not as much help!

Sounds like you need to relax!   :grin:   The work will still be there tomorrow ...

Well, maybe not the dogs, they'll run off.   And maybe not the stock, they'll get hungry and jump the fence.   And maybe not the old folks, the county will come get them.   And then come get you.

And THEN you can relax!! 

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 04:30:49 PM »
I cannot relax.

I'm with you Tom.

Having just finished the mini-chopper project for (evidently) the grandson it was on to installing a heat humper system in the bro-in-law's house. I find it very hard not to be doing something, and preferably something that you can see where you have been. I enjoy gardening which helps as I have a nephew where we run a mutually beneficial garden, he has the space, I have the ability and we share the produce. The motorbike, cycling and fishing can help fill in the gaps.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 04:38:47 PM »
I'm with Lannis.  I have no problem doing little to nothing.  I do have a problem working everyday.  Give me projects that take a couple hours a day and I'm content.

Winter is for skiing.
Summer is for riding.

That's enough for me
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2017, 04:56:10 PM »
I have no problem relaxing --- after 10-12 shots of cheap booze.

Also I can sit more or less still while riding the Griso or Lemans -- for hours and hours.   :grin:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:33:34 AM by not-fishing »
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2017, 05:14:58 PM »
My mind is always thinking about what I want to do in retirement.... I just have to get there. I've been collecting parts and tools for 30 years to build a live steam locomotive. I have castings to build a number of them. The first locomotive shown in the video is a 2-6-0 Mogul and I have this casting set. I also have a few sets to build a Fitchburg Northern 2-6-0 shown best at the 4:27 mark.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=fitchburg+northern+locomotive&view=detail&mid=54E99BB72050A158C3D154E99BB72050A158C3D1&FORM=VIRE

I'd also like to build a steam launch and have the engine casting set for this engine.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=avl+compound++engine&view=detail&mid=DCAD15EA5CE69D98BFBEDCAD15EA5CE69D98BFBE&FORM=VIRE

I hope I get a chance to complete some of them. In the meantime I'm collecting necessary parts for the steam stuff and I've started collecting parts to build up a 1970 Ambo with hopefully some help from Charlie to rebuild the engine and transmission. Planning to get to the Ambo first..... maybe even before retirement.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 05:19:50 PM by Demar »
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2017, 05:30:07 PM »
I remember this from St Louis Post Dispatch.

I have many talents, reading the paper, smoking cigars, and once in awhile I am invaluable.

:wink: 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2017, 05:32:12 PM »

I am learning that, too many times.

And BTW, I have a set of Slinglerlands in the attic (drummer content).
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

twowings

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2017, 06:40:38 PM »
My bike never fails to relax me... :bow:

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2017, 07:08:18 PM »
Sometime drummer here also, fingers most always tapping away on something..
But I'm a daydreamer first and foremost, thinking about good people and pleasant rides
past and future. Sleep like a baby too, my wife Lisa, not so much.. I kid and tell her it's my clear conscience.
She kids and tells me to piss off. 
 :shocked:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Bill Hagan

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2017, 07:17:24 PM »
Sometime drummer here also, fingers most always tapping away on something..
But I'm a daydreamer first and foremost, thinking about good people and pleasant rides
past and future. Sleep like a baby too, my wife Lisa, not so much.. I kid and tell her it's my clear conscience.
She kids and tells me to piss off. 
 :shocked:

Kathi sleeps less well than I, too.  She mutters something about "someone" snoring.  :wink:

I also note that she takes way longer in the confessional than I do.  More than one explanation for that, of course, but I attribute it to my clean living.  We need an emoticon for "dodging lightning bolt."  :grin:

Bill

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here