Author Topic: Re-seating tire after tube change, how much pressure is OK?  (Read 4362 times)

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: Re-seating tire after tube change, how much pressure is OK?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2018, 08:55:04 AM »
Lay the wheel - tire in sun and let it warm up.  I use wheel bearing grease.  Just enough to moisten rubber. Cleaning tire of all mold flash helps.  I use a green  scotch bright pad to remove all mold marks. I put a tire on my wheels in March and they have not lost any pressure since.  Spoked wheels sealed and tubeless tires.

Spoked wheels are never a problem, only the early cast wheels.
Charlie

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2018, 10:39:44 AM »
What did you use to seal the spoked wheels, John?

3M marine sealant.  Washed wheel in dishwashing liquid and water.  Blew moisture out of nipples.  Wiped with alcohol.  The application of the sealant takes several days.  First application I applied a layer to all the nipples and smoothed out by dipping finger in acetone and smoothing.  The sealant "flowed a little.  Waited 48 hours and applied a second thin coat spreading out to the edges of the drop area while smoothing with acetone and cleaning any excess with acetone and paper towel.  Waited another 48 hours and applied the 3rd layer.  Again smoothing with acetone and cleaning with paper towel.  I let the wheel sit for 4 days before installing tire.  I put the axle in a bench vise horizontally and put the wheel on the axle.  I turned the wheel on the axle while applying the sealant. I would spin the wheel while applying to get a good smooth and even finish.  The Sealant did not seem to sag.  I watch it and would rotate the wheel every couple of hours after first applying.  I have heard people make comments about tightening spokes at a later date.  Do a spoke tightening and alignment pre sealant.  I am not concerned with tightening loose spokes.  I will be dead by the time this is required.  Air pressure in the tire applies pressure to the sealant against the wheel.  Adding to the sealing.  Only people that say it will not work are those that have never done it.  I changed from steel OEM with tube to aluminium Excel without and lost 10 pounds of weight per wheel.  Cleaning the mold marks off the tire helps seal the tire.  I have seen tires leak where the mold marks are.  Slow leaks, but it was a leak. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 10:41:04 AM by John Croucher »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2018, 10:48:38 AM »
^^^^ Thanks for that, John.. it's saved in my Guzzi stuff file.  :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2018, 07:30:40 AM »
Had problems mounting Michelin Pilot Activ on the cast wheels of my '81 BMW R100. The rim required a tube.

I do use RuGlyde for installation. I did hit 100 psi  to get one set seated. Didn't like doing that.

Next time around I made a point of really cleaning up the rims. Power wire brush followed with 600 grit wet/dry and finished with Scotch Brite on every surface the bead had to slide over.

That set of Michelins popped into place at 50 psi.

Smooth up the rims and tires will install easier (and tubeless will seal better).

+1 on cleaning up the rims. I use silicone spray/mold release on the rim and tire beads when assembling. I also remove the tire valve as previous posters have stated.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2018, 07:30:40 AM »

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2018, 07:32:56 AM »
3M marine sealant.  Washed wheel in dishwashing liquid and water.  Blew moisture out of nipples.  Wiped with alcohol.  The application of the sealant takes several days.  First application I applied a layer to all the nipples and smoothed out by dipping finger in acetone and smoothing.  The sealant "flowed a little.  Waited 48 hours and applied a second thin coat spreading out to the edges of the drop area while smoothing with acetone and cleaning any excess with acetone and paper towel.  Waited another 48 hours and applied the 3rd layer.  Again smoothing with acetone and cleaning with paper towel.  I let the wheel sit for 4 days before installing tire.  I put the axle in a bench vise horizontally and put the wheel on the axle.  I turned the wheel on the axle while applying the sealant. I would spin the wheel while applying to get a good smooth and even finish.  The Sealant did not seem to sag.  I watch it and would rotate the wheel every couple of hours after first applying.  I have heard people make comments about tightening spokes at a later date.  Do a spoke tightening and alignment pre sealant.  I am not concerned with tightening loose spokes.  I will be dead by the time this is required.  Air pressure in the tire applies pressure to the sealant against the wheel.  Adding to the sealing.  Only people that say it will not work are those that have never done it.  I changed from steel OEM with tube to aluminium Excel without and lost 10 pounds of weight per wheel.  Cleaning the mold marks off the tire helps seal the tire.  I have seen tires leak where the mold marks are.  Slow leaks, but it was a leak.
Which one? 5200, 4200, or 4000?
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2018, 09:55:24 AM »
Which one? 5200, 4200, or 4000?
Larry

3M 5200 white.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here