Author Topic: almost "darwined" my truck in river  (Read 1385 times)

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
almost "darwined" my truck in river
« on: September 22, 2018, 04:03:40 PM »
So the river I live on flooded from Florence. I have a truck path down the Eno river where I live. It wasn't a major flood like down south and it lasted only for a day. So that was last week and for just one day and I thought I could challenge mother nature.I wanted to go down with the dog and pick up stuff and clear off my path.   So I put er in granny in the old 4X4 Nissan with moderate mud tires and down to the river I went.  I was going slow and I started talking to myself  saying  to myself you know stupid you ought to back up oughta here while this truck it horizontal and on a nice flat surface cause it's looking muddy.  Well I went 1 or 2 feet more hit a stump and she started sliding sideways towards the river mud tires be damed as they were now slicks. So she stopped about 2 feet from the bank (this river is now is below flood stage) and then it stopped. I got out and said oh oh. I called a friend who iives just a half mile down the road who was coming deer hunting this evening.  He brought his nice scratch free Tundra down and we managed get his truck in perfect alignment on a  horizontal surface. I was about 30 degrees off center from the way the river bank runs and my rear bumper/fender was just a foot from a tree and it had slide past it and below the tree towards the river. So I had to come out at an angle.
Thankfully  a couple of weeks ago I had bought 250 feet of 5/8' nylon rope. We doubled up the rope tied up up on the frame just behind the rear tire to get an angle on it.  First I had to drive towards the river so I could get my back end around from hitting the tree. His Tundra with double rope kept me from sliding and then when I had the truck more perpendicular to the river and with both of us in granny gear he pulled  my truck from near oblivion (Darwin oblivion).  Sh** that was stupid guys really really stupid. And I didn't need my  :thewife:   :angry: to tell me so.  :laugh: :laugh:
I was so upset I forgot to take  :gotpics:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 10:23:44 AM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Re: almost "darwined" my truck in river
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 04:17:06 PM »
I'm glad it came out OK, Harvey.

I did the mountain equivalent once, taking my Dodge van up a steep logging road in Pennsylvania.  It was gravel, and eventually got steep enough that my 2-wheel drive van wasn't quite able to get to the top.  Backing down proved almost disastrous.  Since the road went diagonally up the mountain, there was a good side slope to it too, and whenever I tried to slow down much, the front wheels would lock and I'd start sliding toward the edge of the road.  If I had slid off, I probably would have rolled the van over and over to the bottom.  I had to just stay focused and let the speed get worse and worse, flying down the hill in the reverse direction until the slope lessened and I could get under control. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 04:17:56 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 04:34:12 PM »
Sounds like a fun time and a bit of pucker factor too!

Perhaps a few ARB straps and extensions, 3-4 good quality D-shackles are in order to keep stored in the truck.  They can be useful for these types of extractions!   

If you're going to try again, a pair of Maxx Trax would also be convenient...you can then often times self extricate from mud or sand or snow if no one else is around to lend a hand
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 11:08:08 AM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 08:13:42 PM »
The technicalities of what you describe are beyond me, but I applaud your brave level of self criticism.
The best lessons one learns are the ones you teach to yourself.. :bow: :thumb:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 08:14:31 PM by Huzo »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 08:13:42 PM »

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 10:28:52 AM »
I'm glad it came out OK, Harvey.

I did the mountain equivalent once, taking my Dodge van up a steep logging road in Pennsylvania.  It was gravel, and eventually got steep enough that my 2-wheel drive van wasn't quite able to get to the top.  Backing down proved almost disastrous.  Since the road went diagonally up the mountain, there was a good side slope to it too, and whenever I tried to slow down much, the front wheels would lock and I'd start sliding toward the edge of the road.  If I had slid off, I probably would have rolled the van over and over to the bottom.  I had to just stay focused and let the speed get worse and worse, flying down the hill in the reverse direction until the slope lessened and I could get under control.

Wow that sounds quite challenging Jim and far more difficult than my situation. At least I came to a stop albeit the front end was facing mildly down the river bank towards the river. 
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 11:11:58 AM »
Forest Gump said it all, "stupid is as stupid does".

Good to here it was not yet your time to suffer the fate of Darwinism.

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here