Author Topic: 2018 Moto Guzzi National Rally  (Read 16718 times)

Offline bettythebear

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: 2018 Moto Guzzi National Rally
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2017, 07:55:23 AM »
The FB event has listed the MGNOC as one of their sponsors.
2011 MG v7 Classic
2020 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401

Offline EldoMike

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 08:22:55 AM »
I know this has been argued before but how can a meet be called a "National" when it is in a far corner of the country?

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2017, 08:34:47 AM »
Doesn't sponsorship imply financial support?   That alone should tell you it's a hoax!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2017, 08:47:42 AM »
Opinions from Seattle:
I wish I could say I am excited by this, but I am not optimistic for a number of reasons.
It may not be bad, but it may be very different from Nationals in the past.
For starters, calling it a National doesn't make it so, even tho it supposedly has Frank's blessing. We have a new guy up here -Ty Moore- who seems to like organizing and posting on social media who has agreed to maybe, kinda fill in the gap left by the Guthrie's departure.
As far as I can tell, he has never been to a Guzzi rally or campout. There is NO tent camping at the site. He is trying to come up with a location for that.
Only a weekend event instead of the usual Thursday thru Sunday.
I am not crazy about the location.It is at the edge of a big city and not a lot of great riding right out of the parking lot. Your great riding will have to be on the way to and from.
Having said that, I know he is working closely with the Guthries, who will give lots of guidance and suggestions.
But, hey, don't let my gloom and doom keep you away; I have some personal issues bringing me down. I haven't been on here much, but thought y'all might like some info closer to the source.

Bill Lovelady      IS
eskimo Spy
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2017, 08:47:42 AM »

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2017, 10:34:13 AM »
Not for me.  My '18 Riding Calendar has me at the ROK Beemer rally in Del Rio, TN the prior weekend and the Western NY Guzzi rally in Westfield, NY the following weekend.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2017, 10:43:38 AM »
I know this has been argued before but how can a meet be called a "National" when it is in a far corner of the country?

Been like that for many a year.    Alternating between the East Coast (New Hampshire, Virginia, etc), the Middle (Iowa) and the West Coast (California, Oregon) on successive years so that at least some folks don't have to ride thousands of miles to experience a National.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

oldbike54

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2017, 10:44:48 AM »
Not for me.  My '18 Riding Calendar has me at the ROK Beemer rally in Del Rio, TN the prior weekend and the Western NY Guzzi rally in Westfield, NY the following weekend.

Chuck , how about CV , are you bringing Nick along again ?

Dusty

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2017, 10:52:37 AM »
Chuck , how about CV , are you bringing Nick along again ?   Dusty 

I don't know, haven't seen or heard from Nick since the WV Rally late last month.  It's a long way for him -- he's 675 miles from my house and then another 700 miles for us to get to CV.  Plus, early May is still a long way into the future.  A lot can happen between now and then. 

Edit:  One thing that's interesting about me going to CV.  My wife does a lot of genealogy work and is now studying my paternal grandmother's ancestry line.  She recently located a lady in Bartlesville, OK (only about 60 miles from CV) who is my third cousin, once removed.  A side trip would allow me to meet her.

A similar thing happened on the way to the MN Guzzi rally last summer.  I met another third cousin, once removed from the same ancestry line in northern Wisconsin.  Interesting stuff.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 11:05:11 AM by ChuckH »
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2017, 10:57:56 AM »
I made that trip several times by car and by bike. It took 5 1/2 days to get there by motorcycle and 4 days by car. I only make road trips that far for my grandkids...

On the other hand, my grandkids are in Western Idaho...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2017, 12:54:48 PM »
It would be nice if we had a place in the center of the US that had some scenery and great riding.  WOW, what about Arkansas? 

Too bad we got no one in Arkansas to host something in the Ozarks.  Oh my.  Does anyone know anyone in the OZzarks?   Ya know, like Fayetteville, Rogers, Eureka, Harrison, Jasper area? 

I wonder if there are any lakes with campsites.   Anyone know if Bull Shoals, Beaver, Table Rock lakes have any campsites?   I am not sure Arkansas has any state parks either. 

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2017, 02:26:39 PM »
In the past there have been 2 MGNOC Nationals in the Seattle area since I've been part of the MGNOC and both of them had about 300 participants. Whereas 2 Nationals in Iowa got 500 participants.  When the MGNOC first started in the `70's it's my understanding there were only rallies in Kansas.  In norCal there was a National that got 400+ participants in `01.
State rallies are just like a National, just fewer participants and closer to your home if that matters to you.  MGNOC is 1 of the only MC clubs I know of that allows non-members to attend their rallies so be happy for that.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 02:38:50 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2017, 04:12:39 PM »
Not going to make it due to being too close to a city, although it is only 2000 miles one way and I could knock Montana, Idaho, Washington (way up) and Oregon then Wyoming (way back) off of my Guzzi map.

I am planning on taking a nice long trip alone next year, just don't know when/where yet.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2017, 11:32:35 PM »
Not going to make it due to being too close to a city, although it is only 2000 miles one way and I could knock Montana, Idaho, Washington (way up) and Oregon then Wyoming (way back) off of my Guzzi map.

I am planning on taking a nice long trip alone next year, just don't know when/where yet.

I'm with you on this, Luap.  No way would I ride into a big city to a rally. :evil:  We are not alone on this.  :wink:

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2017, 07:40:12 AM »
Opinions from Seattle:
I wish I could say I am excited by this, but I am not optimistic for a number of reasons.
It may not be bad, but it may be very different from Nationals in the past.
For starters, calling it a National doesn't make it so, even tho it supposedly has Frank's blessing. We have a new guy up here -Ty Moore- who seems to like organizing and posting on social media who has agreed to maybe, kinda fill in the gap left by the Guthrie's departure.
As far as I can tell, he has never been to a Guzzi rally or campout. There is NO tent camping at the site. He is trying to come up with a location for that.
Only a weekend event instead of the usual Thursday thru Sunday.
I am not crazy about the location.It is at the edge of a big city and not a lot of great riding right out of the parking lot. Your great riding will have to be on the way to and from.
Having said that, I know he is working closely with the Guthries, who will give lots of guidance and suggestions.
But, hey, don't let my gloom and doom keep you away; I have some personal issues bringing me down. I haven't been on here much, but thought y'all might like some info closer to the source.

Bill Lovelady      IS
eskimo Spy

1400 miles for me, one way...June is a nice time of year in Seattle...but we will see. :shocked: :huh: :rolleyes:

But I agree with several others, a National should be out in the country like  Cedar Vale, Kansas, or some place similar. :wink:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2017, 11:59:22 AM »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2017, 12:09:28 PM »
A Guzzi National at a brewery...  :sad: :rolleyes:
Charlie

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2017, 02:08:05 PM »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2017, 12:00:15 AM »
I'll tell you right now..........early June in Seattle is good timing for a wet(drizzle) Rally.  :evil:  Instead of NW, why doesn't it say PNW?  :huh:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 01:11:57 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2017, 08:22:21 AM »
It will be a warm rain, tho.
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

oldbike54

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2017, 09:24:30 AM »

Sounds like the Okie ...

Morning Bill .

Dusty

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2017, 12:51:18 PM »

They call it liquid sunshine up there.  :laugh:   But Hawaiis version is warmer.  :cool:

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2017, 07:28:42 PM »
Why would it be two years in a row same area?

I'm not complaining mind, just a day trip
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:35:16 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2017, 07:58:28 PM »
It wasn't.  New Hampshire separated them.  No one else wanted to sponsor it for the years that they did it.  There are no funds excess or otherwise.  The sponsors foot everything out of their own pockets and hope to break even.  The National consumes a lot of personal time planning and executing.  Ask the guys in Canada.  There is not guarantee of participants.  There is also people trying to sneak in under all different guises. eg. They want to camp there but don't want the meals.  A day pass.  They want the meals but not camp.  They only want to visit plus people trying to sneak in for the meals.  They want that portion discounted from the tickets.  "How come there's no vegetarian meals?"  "Why isn't it down the street from me?"  "Why isn't it in Florida?" etc.  Yada, Yada.....
Want some "whine" with that?? 

No matter where it's in the U.S., the MGNOC National Rally will be a regional rally.  Not everyone will come.  The U.S. is a large country.  When it was held in Kansas or Iowa, the majority of people that showed were within a day's ride.  E, W, N or S.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline groundhog105

• Gosling
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2017, 08:48:21 PM »
I would love to go but I’m starting the 4 corners the US tour that week.  There is a tremendous amount of great riding between So Cal and Seattle.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2017, 08:54:39 PM »
"Not set in stone" yet.  Good luck with your ride. :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2017, 04:20:42 PM »
It�s listed as a go in the new MGNOC newsletter .
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 04:21:18 PM by Matteo »
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2017, 04:51:44 PM »
Short ride for you.  :grin:  A little longer for me.

Offline Cross-tie Walker

• Gosling
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2017, 05:36:28 PM »
Its only about 20 miles for me (as the goose flies) but I seriously doubt if I want to hassle Seattle/Woodinville traffic for a 1 day event with camping in a totally different area. I understand it is more of an "Italian" day also with cars etc.
I hope the future brings the WA and OR folks together again and perhaps a joint event at the John Day fairgrounds again. Awesome riding to, from and around that area.
That being said, The Guthrie's did a fantastic job in their time at the helm of the WA club and all good things come to an end. We will always have great memories of all the events they sponsored as well as The Jenkins from the OR club, most times it seemed like we were all just one club. It will take some time to rebuild, but with all the close friends we have made in association with Moto Guzzi...we will always be family, and look forward to continuing the friendships.
Kevin in Seattle
'72 Eldo
'07 Vintage

Offline Matteo

• Alaska Guzzi's on Facebook
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Make me an offer I can't refuse!
    • https://squareup.com/store/doubleshovelciderco
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2017, 05:40:28 PM »
Short ride for you.  :grin:  A little longer for me.

Maybe I’ll take the moped, should take me all day.
Now how to pack🤔
66 Stornello Scrambler,77 Lemans,80 CX100,16 V7II,21 V85TT Centenario
Gone to new homes: 84 LM3, 82 1000SP, 00 V11Sport, 84 V50III, 84V65, 00 Jackal, 07 Norge

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2017, 06:03:22 PM »
That should be more fun than you can shake a stick at.   :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here