Author Topic: Dave Richardson, of Moto International, Retires  (Read 6137 times)

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
Dave Richardson, of Moto International, Retires
« on: October 22, 2017, 02:01:35 PM »
I'm happy to say I got to purchase a bike from him, just before he retired.  He was very kind, and patient with me, and I'll always hold a special place in my heart for helping me purchase my first motorcycle.  Let's hope MI continues to be a great place to do business. 

https://www.motointernational.com/blog/news-and-events/post/passing-the-baton

Caio, Dave.  Now go for a ride!   :bike-037:

:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: Dave Richardson, of Moto International, Retires
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 02:09:29 PM »
Comes the day for all of us, with luck, while we can still enjoy it.  Dave's done his part for the community.  I hope his shop can keep the bar high, but I already see the changes happening . . ..

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 04:32:44 PM »
Attaboy, Dave. You are one of the giants in the MG community in the US. Retirement will be the best job you ever had. Trust me.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 05:09:14 PM »
Nothing good lasts forever though selfishly I wish it could.  Best wishes to Dave and looking forward to his memoirs.   Who knows; maybe he'll even pop up on youtube!  (I could see him having a hugely popular channel)

GG, thanks for the link

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 05:09:14 PM »

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 05:30:07 PM »
His book, a bible of sorts, is terrific.  I'd like it continue but I also wish him a well deserved retirement. 
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 07:28:59 PM »
His book, a bible of sorts, is terrific.  I'd like it continue but I also wish him a well deserved retirement.
Amen to that! ( and I'm a heathen)
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline jmac851

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 06:23:59 AM »
Guzzi Gal,

If you are in Phoenix, why don't you come to our monthly breakfast meeting at Denny's on Bell Road and I-17.  We meet on the 1st Sunday of every month at 7:30am.  Good food, good talk, good folks.

Jim McDermott
MGNOC Arizona State Representative.
1967 V700
1969 Ambassador
1984 Cal 2
1996 Cal 1100
1998 EV 1100
2006 Breva 1100
1994 BMW R1100RS

Offline ramarren

• New Egg
  • Not Quite Anonymous
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 06:39:13 AM »
Dave was always great to me: In the long decade plus of the 1990s and into the early '00s, he often helped me out when I encountered problems or was working on solutions. I don't know if he remembers—I was off bikes for a dozen years with health problems—but I remember his kindness and good will very well, and thank him for it.

I wish him nothing but the best, he deserves a great and long retirement to enjoy life.

G

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 10:48:28 AM »
Sincere, never too established to learn from customers. Excelsior, to a bestest guy...

Spud
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 11:15:30 AM »
I met Dave back in 2010. I went to MI to purchase a copy of "Guzziology." Not only did he sign my copy, but he also threw in a California 1100 shop manual (with all updates) on CD. Truly one of the superlative ambassadors of our favorite marque. Hopefully, he has passed on his role to another true believer...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 11:16:26 AM by Sheepdog »
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 11:56:07 AM »
Guzzi Gal,

If you are in Phoenix, why don't you come to our monthly breakfast meeting at Denny's on Bell Road and I-17.  We meet on the 1st Sunday of every month at 7:30am.  Good food, good talk, good folks.

Jim McDermott

Jim,

I haven't been avoiding you!  Your monthly breakfast has been reoccurring on my calendar since I decided to purchase a Guzzi.  It's more of a comfort factor, I haven't ridden that far, or dealt with that much surface street crud (inattentive drivers, slow stop-n-go) yet.  I'll get there, I promise.   
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Cross-tie Walker

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 01:41:01 PM »
Dang! Did I miss the party?
I've known and dealt with Dave for 25 years. Sorry I haven't been in touch with the shop lately and missed this announcement.
Thanks for posting this Guzzi Gal

Congratulations Dave and enjoy your next chapter!!
Kevin in Seattle
'72 Eldo
'07 Vintage

Moto

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 07:10:11 PM »
Comes the day for all of us, with luck, while we can still enjoy it.  Dave's done his part for the community.  I hope his shop can keep the bar high, but I already see the changes happening . . ..

Well to be honest, RK, you had me worried for a bit. I had just ordered a new foot peg (don't ask) for my Griso from MI, finding their price to be about $25 vs. $35 for another go-to vendor. It was a STRANGE but GOOD experience.

First, the shipping charges were set at whatever they chose, up to $50. I had to authorize that amount on my card. Second, they didn't respond to my online order at all. Third, they didn't call me back when I left a message.

BUT the foot peg came today, on Monday, after I ordered it LATE FRIDAY, 2000 miles away. The shipping charge was $4. Four dollars!

This is GREAT but STRANGE service, and a much better deal in terms of price and speed than I could get from a company in my own state.

They seem to be working on doing the job, and not on holding their customer's hand. Good for them, good for us, if we can stand it!

So I'm hopeful.

And I'm also forever appreciative of Dave's service and courtesy when I lived for a while in Seattle, and also when I ordered a pristine Griso 1100 from him by phone, sight unseen, which he delivered as promised, on time, and pristine, 2000 miles away.

Best wishes Dave, for a great retirement. And here's looking forward to more great years from MI.

Moto
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 07:38:08 PM by Moto »

Offline guzzista

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 08:53:59 PM »
After purchasing several bikes, parts and lots of conversations with Dave in the last 20+ years what remains  true for me is that my motorcycle experience and more specifically Guzzi ownership have been truly enjoyable due to the down home, relaxed old school motorcycle shop that is MI. Best wishes to Dave and may MI remain as  the great shop its has been .
1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

Offline DaddyRabbit

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 09:55:29 AM »
My (then) local dealer was a guy who had been a Guzzi dealer for many years and was a huge fan of the marque.  But, eventually he tired of the dealership games and nonsupport he experienced and began to whittle down his stock to nearly nothing.  So, after reading on WG about this Dave Richardson at Moto International, I called him.  He had exactly the bike I was looking for...a Gold/Black California Special Sport, affectionately known as the Copper Top.  The deal was struck, the bike prepped and shipped across the country to me in NC, and I was the proud owner of my first Moto Guzzi. 

Its nice to be able to trust someone enough to purchase sight unseen.  Thanks Dave!

That was 4 Guzzis ago, and my current ride is the California 1400 Touring.  I've loved every one of them, warts and all.

I'm excited to say that today i'm headed to our local dealer to look at reentering the Stelvio Riders Club.  My first one was an 09 and I miss it for the solo jaunts.  My bride of 30 years prefers the C1400T, but there are too many times I just want to go through the mountains on the gravel roads.

All that to say, Thanks Dave, for helping me get started with this addiction.  My first Guzzi came well sorted right from the get-go, which was the first thing my (then) local dealer said when I brought it in to show it off. 

DR
Ride with your kids...its cheap therapy for both of you.

03 Cali SS - gone
07 Vintage - gone
09 Stelvio -gone
13 California 1400
18 KTM 1290 SAS

ponti_33609

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 11:57:28 AM »
Got my v7 from Dave.  Probably the easiest purchase I made.  I called on a special but he just got a racer for an even better price than the special.  Anyway, he will be missed.

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 04:30:14 PM »
After I bought my '08 Norge from him, I sold and installed a Furnace for his house.

Offline f.lewis73

• New Egg
Dave Richardson, of Moto International, Retires
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 09:36:47 AM »
Never had chance to meet Dave (2000 miles away) but he signed my copy of my Guzziology

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 09:37:20 AM by f.lewis73 »

Offline Nortman54

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 11:48:52 AM »
Got to meet Dave a little over a year ago when I rode from Central California to Seattle on my 03 BMW RT, left it there & rode home on a 2015 Norge.  All prearranged of course.  What a great motorcycle shop & what a great guy Dave was to deal with.  There is something to be said for a small dealership in a low overhead location even though it might not be in the best neighborhood.  Some dealers have gone out of business from maybe from chasing the supreme location.  I know of one in Fresno.
Best wishes Dave, & to MI in a new era.
Chuck

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 12:05:19 PM »
I received an email (at 3:55 AM on 11/10) from Dave, stating that his beautiful companion Hoffa passed away at 16.  My heart goes out to him, and Lana.

Caio, Hoffa Richardson 

"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Psychopasta

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 01:35:21 PM »
Oh noes! Hoffa was great. Great name, great dog.

- Pasta
V50 Monza 1981
Moto Guzzi V7 Stone Special 2023
Honda Goldwing 2019
Aprilia Tuareg 660 2023
Ancient A65 Bitsa, in pieces

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2017, 01:42:27 PM »
Guzzi Gal,

Jim McDermott

They need more females there.  :grin:  Fay said she needs help.  She's the only female attending on a regular basis.  She'll help to give insight from a women's point of view.  :grin: 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2017, 03:49:21 PM »
he signed my copy of my Guzziology

Mine too!
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2017, 04:02:49 PM »
Mine too!

I should have purchased one, hindsight being 20/20, but the newest copy doesn't include my model.   :undecided:
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2017, 05:48:32 PM »
They need more females there.  :grin:  Fay said she needs help.  She's the only female attending on a regular basis.  She'll help to give insight from a women's point of view.  :grin:

I wanted to come this month, but as luck would have it, my hubbs was traveling.  I didn't feel comfortable leaving kids home alone (not a big deal unless something were to happen, with no in-state family to call upon), so I passed.  So far, next month is looking good. 

We were thinking of checking out First Friday in Mesa.  I know you're all probably burnt out on such activities, but it would be nice for the Arizona Guzzi Contingent to make a showing. 

Hint-hint.   :thumb:

"Miri" and Mori"

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2017, 05:53:22 PM »
Take your kids and have breakfast/brunch.  They can see that Mom's cool and has cool friends.  :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2017, 02:29:44 PM »
Take your kids and have breakfast/brunch.  They can see that Mom's cool and has cool friends.  :thumb:

I suppose I could have, they are rather well behaved (seriously, they are complimented often by random strangers, on their good behavior).  That said, sometimes it's nice to get to know new people without distractions.  I'm glad to hear they are welcome.

By the way, they know their mama is cool.    :wink:   
"Miri" and Mori"

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2017, 05:05:59 PM »
 :thumb:

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 07:12:37 AM »
Dave Richardson is a first-class guy. 

I've been in his shop several times and have talked with him many times over the years including most recently. Very polite, lots of class and knowledge - that's Dave. 

I hope he enjoys his much-deserved retirement.

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2017, 02:30:38 PM »

We were thinking of checking out First Friday in Mesa.  I know you're all probably burnt out on such activities, but it would be nice for the Arizona Guzzi Contingent to make a showing. 

I checked it out a couple of yrs ago.  96 percent HD, 3 percent Indian/Victory & 1 percent import.  0 Guzzi. 
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here