Author Topic: Anyone here knowledgeable on the latest drone offerings.  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Anyone here knowledgeable on the latest drone offerings.
« on: November 21, 2017, 05:39:04 PM »
I am still considering a drone for work and play. After doing some research I am a bit confused concerning supposed flight time mostly. It seems advertised flight time may or may not include payload such as a camera. Also not finding much on wind effects and possible speeds and the affect of speed and wind on flight time.
My working use would require that it can fly a round trip of about 1.5 miles. Living in Kansas wind is always an issue. Work use would be for monitoring activity on my watershed lake (it is leased to the state to open it to public fishing) and monitoring crops.
Would appreciate any feedback on current offerings out there.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Anyone here knowledgeable on the latest drone offerings.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 07:35:45 PM »
Pretty hard to beat the gopro kit.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline insignia100

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 08:04:32 PM »
What's your budget? I have an Autel Robotics X-Star Premium that could more than handle a 1.5 mile flight. Flight time depends on a number of factors, mainly how you fly the drone. I can easily get 20+ minutes on my Autel, but I'm a fairly easy going drone pilot.

I got my drone just before the DJI Mavic came out -- I'd like to have a Mavic for the portability, but it was also more expensive than the Autel. Plus, I like the bright orange paint scheme Autel offers.

Personally, I'd stay away from the GoPro Karma. They may know action cams, but I don't think they have the drone thing figured out quite yet (just look at the recalls). I'd like to see a few generations of the Karma prove itself before I'd get one.

Offline leroysch

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 09:39:48 PM »
I was considering the gopro too due to the versatility of the camera.

If I'm reading the reviews correctly, current versions do not have an obstacle avoidance capability. Range limited since it communicates over Wi-fi. Given the wife would be trying her hand with this thing...and given my occasional frustration in maintaining connectivity between my internet hot-spot and home wi-fi applicances albeit indoors...gopro would not be on my short list.
'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan American
'24 Pan American CVO
'22 Pan America

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 09:39:48 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 09:50:30 PM »
 A really large box kite and a 2 mile long string ?

Dusty

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 10:03:10 PM »
No way I'd get the GoPro. While the removable stabilizer is a neat trick the drone doesn't have any of the features of even the lowliest DJI.

Hands down the most user friendly drones are from DJI. Even the tiny Spark has a range of a couple kilometers using the remote. FAA and common sense say you should always have the drone in sight.

What is your budget and is size a consideration? You can buy a Phantom for under $800 with everything.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0735ZHKZ9/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Spark-Combo-Alpine-White/dp/B072C36ZVK/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1511324255&sr=1-3&keywords=spark+drone

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXES9N6/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:18:19 PM by swooshdave »
--
2001 V11 Sport
1972 Norton Production Racer Replica
1973 Norton Commando Interstate

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 10:28:26 PM »
A really large box kite and a 2 mile long string ?

Dusty
:thumb:
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 07:19:23 AM »
A $1,000 for everything needed would probably be my upper limit of what I would want to spend.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 07:57:32 AM »
Get the DJI Phanton 3 Advanced, or Pro.  You can fly it 2 miles out. Has a great camera, easy to fly, lasts 25 minutes. I have the DJI Phantom 3 Standard. It's limit is 1,500 yards with the antenna booster kit I installed.  Whatever you get, make sure it has a GPS and return to home when signal lost feature, otherwise you just threw your money away.

You should be able to pick up a good lightly used one for <$500 on craigslist, ebay, etc.  Wish I would have went that route myself.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 08:21:52 AM »
Get the DJI Phanton 3 Advanced, or Pro.  You can fly it 2 miles out. Has a great camera, easy to fly, lasts 25 minutes. I have the DJI Phantom 3 Standard. It's limit is 1,500 yards with the antenna booster kit I installed.  Whatever you get, make sure it has a GPS and return to home when signal lost feature, otherwise you just threw your money away.

You should be able to pick up a good lightly used one for <$500 on craigslist, ebay, etc.  Wish I would have went that route myself.

It looks like a Phantom 3 Standard (stock) is about 1/2 mile. The Phantom 4 is more like 4 miles. I'd say for your needs that a Phantom 4 would be ideal. But you should also keep your eye out for a Mavic, which has similar specs.
--
2001 V11 Sport

Offline Higgins9875

• Past and present motorcycles
  • New Egg
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 08:25:12 AM »
I have the Mavic Pro with one extra battery. I have flown it over a mile and a half over water without any problem. It is very easy to use. Camera and video pretty good too. I use an iPad mini with the controller. It is very portable and I have taken it in my carry-on for two trips. Easily fits in a backpack with a cheap case I got at Best Buy.
1969 Honda 350 Scrambler
2010 RE Bullet 500
2012 Triumph 800
2016 V7II Stone

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 08:39:02 AM »
I have the Mavic Pro with one extra battery. I have flown it over a mile and a half over water without any problem. It is very easy to use. Camera and video pretty good too. I use an iPad mini with the controller. It is very portable and I have taken it in my carry-on for two trips. Easily fits in a backpack with a cheap case I got at Best Buy.

There are two guys here in the office that are into drones pretty heavily.  They both have the Mavic with all the bells and whistles.  The 1080p video that thing shoots is pretty spectacular.

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 11:52:14 AM »
I'm waiting for Amazon to start delivering with drones. "Skeet with prizes"!

Offline Snowman

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 12:29:27 PM »
I use a DJI Phantom 4 Pro in my building inspection biz. I cant see any advantage using a GoPro over the camera that comes on my phantom. Very clear shots and simple to operate. I have extra batteries charged ready to go. Average 25min flight time on a charge. That varies with air temp and wind speeds. If using it commercially be sure to get the correct licences and waivers for your area. Local realtor just got fined $10K for using one commercially without paperwork.
2023 Suzuki GSXS1000GT+
2009 Guzzi Norge
1992 BMW R100RS
1985 BMW K100RS Turbo
1986 Suzuki GSXR750
1987 Suzuki GSXR50

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 02:46:26 PM »
I guess I was wrong then, nevermind my comment above.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 08:42:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies and info. It appears that the drone thing is similar to phones and computers, progressing at a rapid pace. Does anyone know if it is legally considered "commercial use" if you are only using it for your own use such as in personal farming, but not hiring out? My impression from hearing a speaker on a farm oriented radio station is that it would not be considered commercial use.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline swooshdave

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 09:49:03 PM »
Thanks for the replies and info. It appears that the drone thing is similar to phones and computers, progressing at a rapid pace. Does anyone know if it is legally considered "commercial use" if you are only using it for your own use such as in personal farming, but not hiring out? My impression from hearing a speaker on a farm oriented radio station is that it would not be considered commercial use.
GliderJohn

Not a lawyer here but I believe the commercial term only applies of you receive money in exchange of your drone services. Best to check with your state.

Did you ever think you could possibly be associated with the term "drone services" in any shape or form?  :grin:
--
2001 V11 Sport

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here