Author Topic: Guzzi's aren't special?  (Read 2858 times)

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
Guzzi's aren't special?
« on: June 22, 2018, 07:38:29 PM »
I have a friend who bought a leftover 1200 Sport about the same time I did back in 2010.  He has dumped it at least twice, breaking fins on the cylinders.  His headers cracked so he welded them.  He welds about as good as a blind epileptic so they look horrendous.  The seat is ripped.  He absolutely flogs the thing unmercifully.  The rear shock is blown out.  I have no idea if he's checked the valves in years.  I cringe every time I see his bike.  I feel like I need to rescue it from him because he abuses it so badly.     

I love all bikes.  Anything with two wheels interests me and I'm just as happy on a moped as I am a Panigale.  I probably haven't owned as many bikes as Lannis or Blackcat but I'm not far behind.  For some reason, I keep buying Moto Guzzis.  They always break.  I've had to walk quite a few times because of them.  I tend to wear comfortable shoes on rides just in case.  I shake my head at the guys who make excuses for the brand and claim they're the most reliable, cheapest to run machines on the market.  At some point during my ownership I'm guaranteed to become infuriated.  I tire of the BS and sell it to ride something Japanese that never, ever makes me walk.  I'm happy.  I put a ton of miles on the yamazukihonkawi and it's great.  Really, really great.  Nothing breaks.  I don't get stranded.  I don't have to set aside $500 before every trip to rent a Uhaul if my bike decides internal combustion isn't in the cards that day like I always do with a Guzzi.  After a while I get an itch.  Everything is wonderful but something is missing.  It's like part of my subconsciousness is jingling a tiny bell.  Small things start annoying the hell out of me on my yamazukihonkawi.  The oil filters should come in pastel colors but they don't.  The seat should have a coin slot so I can put quarters in it for a Magic Fingers massage but it doesn't.  The mirrors should have built in cameras so I can take selfies at 80mph but they don't. 

The next thing I know I'm staring at another Moto Guzzi in my garage wondering if I'm a full blown masochist.  But....I like having a Moto Guzzi in the garage and I like riding them.  When they run I like them more than yamazukihankawi's and Ducati's and Triumphs and Norton's and everything else despite the fact they really suck in most performance metrics compared to other machines.  I laugh when The plastic battery cover has SIX fasteners and they're two different types.  Does a 2 ounce plastic tray really need 4 stainless philips screws and two stainless button head allen fasteners?  Guzzi's are....special.  I'm not sure if that means they're the window licker on the short bus kind of special or if it's the hand built in Italy kind of special.  Maybe both.   

Scott doesn't think his 1200 Sport is special in the least.  It's like a shovel or a rake to him and that drives me crazy even though it shouldn't.  Two days ago I saw a guy with a ratty California II and struck up a conversation.  He'd traded it for a tile job.  He said it had been sitting for a while so he dumped a bunch of Seafoam in the tank, started it with a can of ether(!!!) and then rode it wide open for 20 miles to "clean it out".  I was properly horrified.  He has been riding it for a month and hadn't even changed the oil.  I had to politely end the conversation and walk away.  It has been on my mind for two days.  I was daydreaming about sneaking into his garage dressed like a ninja so I could steal the bike and bring it to the Moto Guzzi Mechanical Abuse Shelter so it could be rescued.  Some other deranged masochist would spend 500 hours making it semi-reliable so that it only broke once every other month but at least it would get the oil changed, the carb floats set so gas didn't puddle under the bike,  the leaking fork seals fixed and the duct tape removed from the seat cover.  Like I said...it bothered me.

Maybe I think they're special because they're relatively rare?  Because they sound amazing?  Because I'm a masochist or they challenge me to become more patient and I know that's good because I have no patience? 

I dunno.  I think they're special but I guess not everyone does.                       

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Guzzi's aren't special?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 07:55:40 PM »
I'm trying real hard to bond with my latest, I've had more than 20, a few of them long term..
still the foot peg location on a Bassa is just not growing on me.. my last Bassa had pegs but a taller seat.not as bad   ... my first Bassa, I changed out to floor boards, guess I better try than next?
this bike runs wonderful! and sounds great! I'd trade it for a V11 Lemans same as I did with the first one..
the original pearl Bassa next to the trade..

my DR sounds like a paint shaker, has a chain, looks ugly, no soul.. but is my go to bike.. a lot more comfy.. I ride it every day and take out the Guzzi on Sundays..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 08:09:48 PM »
I agree that they are special...in a special kind of way.

My Mistress only stranded me once...shifter pawl went. Fixed at a dealer and she is still going to this day.

My Giada never left me stranded....but did have an issue with ignition switch wires at the switch. Thanks to this board, specifically Pete Roper and Dusty was able to fix it in the garage.

To date the only issue with Olivia was a leaking gasket. Replaced under warranty. No big deal.

On the other hand my 1975 Gold Wing left me stranded at least three times...timing belt broke...u-joint came apart and something else I don't remember. All three time we were over 300 miles from home...fond memories.

My Honda CB550 kept eating batteries. Replaced the regulator 3 times, did wiring checks, all to no avail.

Sold it to by a Honda CB900 Custom. Nice bike..never could stop an oil leak from the cam chain tensioner area. But never left me stranded!

NONE of my Honda's ever moved me like my Guzzi's. I haven't had the problems you have had but my problems have not been anywhere as severe as my Honda's.

I guess what I am trying to say is there is no perfect, absolutely reliable bike...or car or truck or boat or whatever. But Guzzi's are a sickness..once they are in your blood there is no cure.

I OK with that!!

Looking forward to many happy miles with Olivia. This V7II is like no other bike. Actually washed and waxed her today in prep for the Hospice run tomorrow. Now I won't have to wash her until fall!!!

Ride safe and often,

Jeff
Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 08:21:18 PM »
I'm trying real hard to bond with my latest, I've had more than 20, a few of them long term..
still the foot peg location on a Bassa is just not growing on me.. my last Bassa had pegs but a taller seat.not as bad   ... my first Bassa, I changed out to floor boards, guess I better try than next?
this bike runs wonderful! and sounds great! I'd trade it for a V11 Lemans same as I did with the first one..
the original pearl Bassa next to the trade..

my DR sounds like a paint shaker, has a chain, looks ugly, no soul.. but is my go to bike.. a lot more comfy.. I ride it every day and take out the Guzzi on Sundays..

I'm still trying to bond with my 1400 Touring.  Maybe it will work out and maybe it won't.  The longer I have it the more I want a V7 because the 1400 is so damned heavy it would be nice to have something smaller to ride.  I might have to buy a new CB300R.  300lbs and 30 hp sounds like a ball and they look great.  A round headlight! 

I have a soft spot for DR650's.  I have no idea why anyone would buy a KLR(other than the huge fuel range) but I'd get a DR in a heartbeat. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 08:21:18 PM »

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 09:07:14 PM »
I'm still trying to bond with my 1400 Touring.  Maybe it will work out and maybe it won't.  The longer I have it the more I want a V7 because the 1400 is so damned heavy it would be nice to have something smaller to ride.  I might have to buy a new CB300R.  300lbs and 30 hp sounds like a ball and they look great.  A round headlight! 

I have a soft spot for DR650's.  I have no idea why anyone would buy a KLR(other than the huge fuel range) but I'd get a DR in a heartbeat.
Don't sell it before I can get up there this fall for a ride;)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 09:24:12 PM »

I've had many KLR's.. no comparison get a big tank for the DR and your golden.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Laker

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 09:30:57 PM »
Last month I rode through the mountains of Ecuador on a DR650 and grew fond of the bike. I’m keeping my eyes open.

Tim Powers
Austin, TX

2013 V7 Special (wife's bike)
2015 Ducati Multistrada S Touring
2015 Piaggio Fly 150
2016 Aprilia Tuono Factory

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 01:10:34 AM »
JohninVT....

try a V7...you will be surprised!

Quite high on the fun factor scale....

Jeff
Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 01:57:46 AM »
JohninVT: I'm not sure I EVER heard a more accurate description of Guzzi ownership/love/hate.  :grin: I have been going to the same barn dance as you lo these many years... YES they are special. I have come to the place where owning a Guzzi is good enough. I do own other more reliable machines, and I dread the hours that I know are coming where I crack the timing case to check the chain/tensioner, install a Dyna unit, better charging system, and more. Yet all is well as long as I keep a couple other bikes around to actually go places. I get my biggest grin riding the Guzzi. Every time it is running well, I am on top of the world. I have had a grand Guzzi "sell off" about 3 times now, but I keep coming back for more. Stupidity? Love? Yes.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 05:00:26 AM »

Why have you had so many if you love them so much ?
Do you collect them ?

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 05:02:48 AM »
OP.
There must be something fundamentally wrong with me, I completely understand you and agree with every word..
Well put. :thumb: :bow:

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 07:15:09 AM »
Why have you had so many if you love them so much ?
Do you collect them ?
to flip                                                         or part  out.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 07:15:47 AM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 07:32:29 AM »
Some bikes you buy to wear out. 

Some bikes you buy to ride sparingly.

Some bikes you buy to collect.

Some bikes you buy to display.

Some bikes you buy to meet a very specific purpose.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline cookiemech

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 08:04:03 AM »
Some bikes you buy to wear out. 

Some bikes you buy to ride sparingly.

Some bikes you buy to collect.

Some bikes you buy to display.

Some bikes you buy to meet a very specific purpose.

You're right! Except that I buy them because I like them so much I can't help it, and some time later they fall into one of the above categories.

We seem to have EXACTLY the same 2017 Road King. I had a perfectly fine 2007 Road King with 50K miles and no issues whatever (probably because I run stock Harleys and do all my own work). Saw that color combination and bought it for no other reason than I loved its look. It is head and shoulders above that 2007 King.

Uhhh . . . I think it now falls into "bought it to wear it out", though I doubt I'll live that long . . . :grin:

My Road Glide Ultra is "to meet a very specific purpose", which would be "long trips". It now has 1800 miles on it. I don't make any long trips . . . :sad:

In the winter, all of the bikes are super clean, sitting in my heated garage . . . then they fall into the "display" category. But only for the winter.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2018, 08:05:20 AM »
I tend to wear comfortable shoes on rides just in case. 

Hilarious!  I'm not sure  i agree on specifics of reliability. All bikes require some maintenance to be reliable and on  Guzzi's it's pretty simple.
I recently got done with a valve check/adjust on my friends Kawi  concourse 1400, shim under bucket, and what a PIA.  We had that thing spread all over the garage before we could even get to the cam cover.  The grass is not any greener elsewhere. 

Very entertaining post, thank's for the  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2018, 08:15:31 AM »
Odd, but my experience has been the exact opposite. The bike that broke down most for me was an �81 Honda CB750F. Apart from a fuel filter pop-off that was fixed on the roadside, my Vintage has been perfect for the 11 years I�ve owned it. That included many long tours, including a 6000 mile sojourn to the Pacific Northwest. All around, it has been the best bike I�ve ever owned. I also rode a �74 Norton Interstate for six years without a single breakdown. It was the same with my forty-something BMW. Like I say...odd. Perhaps I just lavished more love on those bikes.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2018, 08:21:41 AM »
John, you have described the essence of the Italian mindset. It is emotional and not always perfect. It can swing from one extreme to the other. But the glorious feeling of the bond when it's all going right far outweighs the quarrels. I didn't really understand it until I married into it. It's in their soul and it permeates everything they do. It's why I grin like a fool when I wail through the gears on the LeMans. It's why I stop and stare at them in the garage. It's why I forgive them when their faults have let me down.
 It's passion and dedication and love. It's built into the Guzzi. That's why the siren song always brings you back.

Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2018, 05:01:48 PM »
I can't say much regarding the newer stuff, but I've always told people that Guzzis were bikes for those who don't mind tinkering. There is always something you can do if you want. Broke down, I might have a chance to get it going without a trailer. The basics are OK. They are not the appliance the Japanese stuff is. Riding them is unique to me, and worthy of my time and trouble. I've never had a bike I did not like, but the Guzzis are the ones that are still here, 34 years later.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2018, 08:22:59 PM »
You're right! Except that I buy them because I like them so much I can't help it, and some time later they fall into one of the above categories.

We seem to have EXACTLY the same 2017 Road King. I had a perfectly fine 2007 Road King with 50K miles and no issues whatever (probably because I run stock Harleys and do all my own work). Saw that color combination and bought it for no other reason than I loved its look. It is head and shoulders above that 2007 King.

Uhhh . . . I think it now falls into "bought it to wear it out", though I doubt I'll live that long . . . :grin:

My Road Glide Ultra is "to meet a very specific purpose", which would be "long trips". It now has 1800 miles on it. I don't make any long trips . . . :sad:

In the winter, all of the bikes are super clean, sitting in my heated garage . . . then they fall into the "display" category. But only for the winter.

I need to update my signature photo. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2018, 08:50:23 PM »
John, a well-written treatise about Moto Guzzi!  I think you've explained why so many of us love these machines, flawed though they may be in many areas.

Unlike your friend, i haven't dumped my 1200 Sport in over 65000 miles  ..... purely dumb luck on my part .... there's been so many opportunities to drop the old gal!

This post of yours could/should be included in a magazine article in a vintage bike mag.  Maybe even in a current mag.  It talks to those of us who understand and love the bikes.  But it would be educational and inspirational to those who don't know the brand,

If you recall, you were the guy who convinced me to purchase my 1200S.  I'll always recall your posts as you were returning home in 2009, on your recently-acquired 1200S. Bad weather, nothing seemed to dampen your enthusiasm for this bike.

Regards,

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2018, 08:04:17 AM »
John, a well-written treatise about Moto Guzzi!  I think you've explained why so many of us love these machines, flawed though they may be in many areas.

Unlike your friend, i haven't dumped my 1200 Sport in over 65000 miles  ..... purely dumb luck on my part .... there's been so many opportunities to drop the old gal!

This post of yours could/should be included in a magazine article in a vintage bike mag.  Maybe even in a current mag.  It talks to those of us who understand and love the bikes.  But it would be educational and inspirational to those who don't know the brand,

If you recall, you were the guy who convinced me to purchase my 1200S.  I'll always recall your posts as you were returning home in 2009, on your recently-acquired 1200S. Bad weather, nothing seemed to dampen your enthusiasm for this bike.

Regards,

Bob

Bob-Quick!  Knock on wood.  I always do when I say I haven't dumped a bike in a while.   :azn:

I remember chatting with you quite a bit when you bought your 1200.  The ride you mentioned was when I came back from the Barber Vintage Festival in mid October.  It was 40 degrees and raining the first 7 or 800 miles.  Then it turned to snow in Pennzylvania.  The PA State Police made me get off the interstate when I was following a snow plow truck at night...lol.  That's the single most miserable ride I've ever experienced. I had no heated gear.  I was soaking wet and freezing for two days.     

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2018, 08:42:39 AM »
FWIW, I would get on any of my 3 Guzzis and ride them anywhere. I certainly wouldn't expect any kind of break down, but if it did, I'll bet I could fix it. They are mechanically robust almost to a fault. Their main weakness is electrical, and if the electrical system is given a good looking at once a year they'll keep on soldiering on, too. You just can't expect the antique unsealed electrical connections to keep working forever without issue.
Are Guzzis special? Absolutely. No other bike that I've ridden does it for me like one.  :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Numbercruncher

• Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2018, 11:29:02 AM »
I had my new V7III Stone out for it's maiden voyage the other day.  Ten miles from my house I stopped for fuel.  An MG enthusiast immediately started up a conversation. He was positively glowing with fond memories of the brand.

I'd say they are special.  Not a white lab coat bike like something from Japan or Germany and sooner or later MG and maybe Ducati will be gone and then we'll all HAVE to ride a cookie cutter bike.  Until then I'll take the funky off beat any-bike over an off the shelf machine.  Sure I have a Japanese bike as well but if I could only have one, I'll take my chances on something cool and European.  Life is short.

NC

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2018, 12:03:42 PM »
I spent five hours on the Mille yesterday -- faultless at 53,000 miles, loafing at 70, happy at 90. My second out-and-back mountain ride this month.

Can't wait to get the T back together.  In 50,000 miles on the T I had some electrical problems but nothing I couldn't fix at roadside, and I even managed to ride home from a couple of traffic-induced front-end damage incidents.

By comparison, the Japanese bikes and even the F650 feel soul-less.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

bpreynolds

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2018, 09:06:15 PM »
I enjoyed reading your post, John.  I laughed a bit about your neighbor. 

Same as Sheepdog, my experience with Guzzi has been the opposite.  I've owned 11 of the things and I always wind up getting scared, uncomfortable, or whatever, and selling it.  Just sold my wonderful '09 Griso cause it gave me more testosterone than I'm man enough to handle  :grin:

I've owned 11 Geese to date in the last 13 years or so.  I've also owned Triumphs, Ducatis, KTMs, a Honda, and a Kawi.  Probably a few in there I've forgotten.  Of the 150k+ miles I've driven all those bikes in 13 years, probably 80-90k of those miles were spread out over the 11 different Geese.  Probably about 30k miles on KTMs, about 20k miles on Ducatis, and miscelaneous mileage on the other bikes.  Only the Guzzis and the KTMs have NEVER stranded me even once. 

I always cast a skeptical eye on posts where a guy says, "Drove mine 190k miles and off two cliffs and never had a problem with it."   :afro: :grin:  It's not that I don't believe him; rather, it's just there will always be a bike or two or three that is troublefree (or not) in a particular instance.  But geez, I've 11 different ones and drover them damn near 100k miles.  You'd think at least one there would have been a turd and stranded me, but no, not even once. 

Now, that's not to say I haven't been frustrated on occasion with the bikes.  In fact, my very first Guzzi the clutch turned to dust in the first 1600 miles, and it needed 3 different recalls.  The first year I owned the bike I literally only had it in my hands for six months; the rest of the time it was in the shop getting all those repairs - but Guzzi paid for all of them.  I think that first one must have been some kind of test to see if I'd tap out.  Alas, it only got worse and I bought more soon afterwards.  Little mechanical things here and there on other ones but none of them stranded me and most of the time I could even amend the small mechanical issues myself.  I'm just saying in my personal experience there have been other brands that stranded me, a couple bullet proof ones from other brands, and then well past these there has been my KTMs and Guzzis.  I would say my KTM 950 has met this mark and even surpassed the Geese  in some ways in terms of quality compenents and such, but that's just one bike.  The 390 Duke was a hoot and amazing for what it was but it wasn't half the bike as my 950 nor my Guzzis when talking about reliability and being well made. 

Offline Numbercruncher

• Hatchling
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2018, 09:07:59 PM »
Sold my DR650 but had a blast six years ago in Colorado.

Yes that is me in the image.  Sorry about that.

NC

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here