Author Topic: School me on what a cruiser is.  (Read 11060 times)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: School me on what a cruiser is.
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2016, 01:21:21 PM »
What handling issues are you talking about?

You don't get a defacto handling issue (not for anything remotely street riding) just because your feet aren't behind you or the handlebars aren't clip ons.

Trust me when I say this instructor had no problem outriding everyone on a Guzzi that day:

http://572creations.zenfolio.com/p944128457/e799ca53b

Yeah, you do. The farther your hands are from the forks, the less feed back the front end gives you.
When you sit on the roamer, your feet are in front, and your hands are high. That makes it impossible to get weight forward, needed for "good" handling. You sit back far enough that your knees can't grip the tank. I can get my calves on the throttle body covers, but that's about it.
So. You are sitting back with little feed back from the front end, and can't get proper weight distribution. I call that handling issues. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2016, 01:33:29 PM »
Yeah, you do. The farther your hands are from the forks, the less feed back the front end gives you.
When you sit on the roamer, your feet are in front, and your hands are high. That makes it impossible to get weight forward, needed for "good" handling. You sit back far enough that your knees can't grip the tank. I can get my calves on the throttle body covers, but that's about it.
So. You are sitting back with little feed back from the front end, and can't get proper weight distribution. I call that handling issues. <shrug>

You didn't bother looking at the photo then.

My point was that didn't have to limit the bike's handling for any remotely real world riding.

Now the fact the YOU don't like it, that's fine, but it's not an actual problem with what the bike can or cannot do.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2016, 01:42:33 PM »
Ten years riding a big heavy cruiser, oh my aching back.  :thewife:

pete roper

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2016, 01:47:56 PM »
A 'Cruiser' is the fantasy of people who don't want to own a motorbike of what a motorbike actually is.

YOMV. IGNAS.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2016, 01:47:56 PM »

Offline pikipiki

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2016, 01:50:04 PM »
To your question kind of like a herley although possibly more so if lacking the HD badge.

but what do we think a Guzzi is?
I'd probably be even less successful I answering that, for what it's worth i think Luigi needs a check list:
something thike this:

Motorcycle blue print:
Fuel tank: big enough for 200 mile range.
final drive: shaft
engine layout: longitudinal obviously (as dictated by shaft drive)‎
Instrumentation: one dial for speed, one dial for rpm always worked fine.‎
Seat: Generously padded with room for pillion.‎
centre stand: at least the option to fit one.
ground clearance: Why does this even need mentioned, it should not be an issue.‎
Styling: not to detract from function.
luggage: should not be an issue to fit if required.‎
riding position: neutral�
Maintenance: should be relatively simple.
wheels: conventional sizes please, so there's some choice of rubber.‎
bits that snap off: no thank you.
bits that might shake off: I've learned to deal with that.‎

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2016, 01:52:35 PM »
A 'Cruiser' is the fantasy of people who don't want to own a motorbike of what a motorbike actually is.

YOMV. IGNAS.

Pete

So does that include Calis?
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

pete roper

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2016, 02:26:40 PM »
'Fraid so. The Cali 14 is a great 'Cruiser' but it's not what I consider a motorbike to be.

I tried to like it. I really did. But at the end of the day it was still an evil handling, chromed whore's purse. Expensive mistake. Not one I'm going to make again.

Seems though that as far as Piaggio is concerned Guzzi is going to be condemned to making these things and dross like the V9's. At least with the V9's it looks like there might be something interesting engine-wise in the pipeline.

I don't reckon they'll be able to get the big block compliant without the 7SM and all the extra munt on the 'Cruisers' so any new Stelvio or other similar bike will have to be small block based or a clean sheet design. Where's the money for that going to come from?

Pete

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2016, 02:27:18 PM »
The problem with cruiser bikes is beginning in the 1990's frames were lowered along with seat height because they look cooler. The trend continues today. Most people that don't know any better think this is the proper riding position when it's not. Highway pegs are required due to lower back/ butt hurt after a spell of riding, foot/ leg position must continually be adjusted to fight the pain. Also, corner control of these monstrosities is painful as they are unwilling to change direction easily with the scrape, scrape noise.  :popcorn:

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2016, 02:29:48 PM »
'Fraid so. The Cali 14 is a great 'Cruiser' but it's not what I consider a motorbike to be.

I tried to like it. I really did. But at the end of the day it was still an evil handling, chromed whore's purse. Expensive mistake. Not one I'm going to make again.

Seems though that as far as Piaggio is concerned Guzzi is going to be condemned to making these things and dross like the V9's. At least with the V9's it looks like there might be something interesting engine-wise in the pipeline.

I don't reckon they'll be able to get the big block compliant without the 7SM and all the extra munt on the 'Cruisers' so any new Stelvio or other similar bike will have to be small block based or a clean sheet design. Where's the money for that going to come from?

Pete

The MG reps told me the Norge/ Stelvio engine can't meet the new Euro 4 emissions?

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2016, 02:37:05 PM »
The 1400 Eldorado is better than the Cal 1400 Touring and Custom for handling and a non-cruiser.  The Griso is a "power cruiser" bike.  :grin: :grin: :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

pete roper

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2016, 02:41:46 PM »
No, the Griso is a motorbike. The Cali's are fashion accessories or two wheeled equivalents of invalid scooters for people who don't want a motorbike or haven't grown up.

(That should get 'em going! :evil:)

Pete

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2016, 02:43:03 PM »
 :grin: :grin: :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

oldbike54

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2016, 02:59:17 PM »
 Yeah , but some folks think that riding an over sized scooter from Aprilia is the epitome of motorbiking  :evil:

Dusty

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2016, 03:56:04 PM »
I have to go with the "toes up" definition as to what a cruiser is.  While I won't classify my 96 Cali as a sport bike, it sure as heck isn't a "cruiser",  just a good handling (albeit overweight) standard.  If every motorcycle with pegs that are forward of your hips is considered a cruiser, where does that leave the classic Bonneville?  Never, ever heard of them referred to as cruisers!

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2016, 04:09:34 PM »
Had a 20 something refer to the beater /5 as a cruiser ???? Previous owner of the Jackal calls it a sport cruiser . Dunno , maybe I should buy a full face that mimics a doo rag and start drinking PBR .

Dusty

PBR is the official beverage for SPORTRIDERS!!!   .... something you /5 riders obviously wouldn't understand. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 04:10:42 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2016, 04:23:52 PM »

My point was that didn't have to limit the bike's handling for any remotely real world riding.

Now the fact the YOU don't like it, that's fine, but it's not an actual problem with what the bike can or cannot do.

<shrug>
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2016, 04:27:20 PM »
I have to go with the "toes up" definition as to what a cruiser is.  While I won't classify my 96 Cali as a sport bike, it sure as heck isn't a "cruiser",  just a good handling (albeit overweight) standard.  If every motorcycle with pegs that are forward of your hips is considered a cruiser, where does that leave the classic Bonneville?  Never, ever heard of them referred to as cruisers!

They became 'choppers'.  :popcorn:

Hymes Inc.

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2016, 06:19:17 PM »
The picture you are calling a V65SP is not an SP at all. It's a V65C. (Cruiser)

The middle bike is an SP without the fairing. The bottom bike is the V65C

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2016, 06:54:36 PM »

Ok. I was on the Snake one day, and came upon a Harley something or other. (They all look the same to me.) But it was a big booger with bags, etc. The rider decided he should show me something.. and he did. He was going through the Snake throwing serious sparks from the floorboards on left and rights. His wife/girlfriend/ significant other was beating on his back with both hands. :)
He was a *very* good rider, but totally hampered by the bike he was on. I just don't understand why you think a cruiser will handle perfectly well in "real world" riding. They don't. We'll just have to agree to disagree. :)
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2016, 07:39:07 PM »
<shrug>
John L 

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2016, 07:53:08 PM »
There are motorcycles that handle and those that don't.  Found that out that my Reconstruct Shovelhead doesn't.  My Eldo did.  This was in the late 70's.  I used the Recon for around town and short hauls with friends and the Eldo for serious touring by myself.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2016, 07:59:44 PM »
A cruiser is a lazy boy with a big fart trapped in the cushion.

Offline yellowheader

• New Egg
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2016, 09:27:42 PM »
Forgive a Newbie for butting in, but having just come from the "cruiser" end of the spectrum, I thought I'd put in my .02... I became the proud owner of an '04 Stone about a month ago. Before that I was on an Intruder 1400 with stock footrests and low, wide handlebars - I'd say a fairly representative example of a Japanese cruiser. Now I know the extremes in cruiser ergonomics - waay forward controls, ape hangers and thinly padded solo seats - are totally style over comfort, but I really liked the seating position on the Intruder. My feet were in front of me, shins vertical and with a comfortable reach to the handlebars. The pressure points on the seat were the bones inside my butt (ischium - I just looked it up), not my tailbone. It wasn't like sitting in a Lazy Boy, more like a good boardroom chair, if that make sense.

My first impression on the Stone was surprise at how un-cruiserlike it felt. The higher ground clearance, steeper rake, conservative handlebars, and the skinny (to my eye) back tire all made it feel closer to a Bonneville than a Fat Boy. For me, it finds that perfect middle ground between cruiser and standard. I find the riding position ideal for around town, and I didn't have any major comfort issues on the 3-hour ride home from where I bought the bike. However, at my age (52), the joints are starting to stiffen up a little, and I think the bend the Cali puts in my hips would get pretty uncomfortable after a full day in the saddle. I definitely want to find some highway pegs before I take on any serious road trips.

All in all, superior suspension, brakes and steering geometry make the Guzzi a much easier bike to handle and to ride fast than the old 'Truder, but there's something to be  said for sitting back with your legs unfolded from under you, yes, cruising down a long stretch of highway.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 12:09:40 AM by yellowheader »

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2016, 09:58:36 PM »
IMO, a cruiser is when your feet are anywhere even with or in front of your knees. A Standard is when feet are under your hips out to your knees, and Sport is when your feet are from under your hips or Behind. 
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2016, 10:40:24 PM »
I tend to classify cruisers in two types: style bar cruisers for in town "posing where you are going for looks and perhaps making a statement. The second type; a touring cruiser that works very well on the big slab and eating up miles. I'd say like Easy Rider but I consider choppers to be the style bike but some riders may prefer them for touring.

Neither bike are for the Snake or scraping bits in the corners. To complain that a cruiser can't corner like your sport bike is kinda like complaining the Miata can't carry your new stove home from Lowes.

Oddly enough I've had folks call my Griso a Cruiser and I just don't see it. Near as I can tell we all have a different idea of what a cruiser is, ask ten guys what a cruise is and you'll get eleven answers. :)
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2016, 12:35:55 AM »
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2016, 02:15:19 AM »
Cruiser - an independant warship designed to protect sea lanes, commerce raiding, and scouting. Only the USN, Peruvian, and the Russian Navy operate them today.

My favourites are the Alaska class.  :azn:
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2016, 05:26:13 AM »
Meh...
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline El Pescador

• New Egg
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2016, 08:15:12 AM »
Blah Blah Blah not a real motorbike.  Blah Blah Blah can't go around a corner with all that chrome and seating position.  I'm going to push my Cali off in a ditch.

Fair winds and following seas

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2016, 08:46:51 AM »
The March 1998 Cycle World had an article called "Lucky 13" which compared thirteen "Ameri-cruisers," including a Titan Gecko, Harley Dyna Low Rider, Big Dog, Triumph Thunderbird,  BMW 1200C, Vulcan 1500, etc. The Guzzi V11 EV won!

Rich A

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here