Author Topic: Griso Fever - Bought One  (Read 15160 times)

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Griso Fever - Bought One
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2016, 09:43:04 PM »
Go Titanium

:1: absolutely. What is it with you yanks and black or silver coated headers? Its not some 32 Ford flat head hot rod for goodness sake. Heat discolored headers are like nice non dressed TIG welds to us engineering types especially on TI headers.
Let the unvarnished truth be told, they are headers, they get hot and look cool. Embrace the look and lets stop sooking about blued chrome and such.
Ciao   
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 09:50:08 PM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline sidmonsters

• Hatchling
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2016, 09:46:16 PM »
Oh. Hellz. Yes.  Very nice bike...and your Japanese dog approved, so off you go.  My little German schnauzer hound barks like a mofo every time I push my V7S outta the garage, tempting me to run him over each time...and this from a veterinarian.  He also barks at my Kubota tractor everydamntime so maybe it's just the internal combustion thing.  I prefer to think he has issues re: The War, so I give him a pass.  My cats accept all of 'em, so go figure.  If the hood is warm when I get home, they don't care a bit where the brand originated.
I intend to live forever.  So far, so good....
2013 Stelvio NTX
2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan
2007 Vespa 250ie

bpreynolds

« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2016, 10:13:40 PM »
I had the headers on my V7 Cerakoted at this place in NJ.

http://www.gsdcoatings.com/cmsms/index.php?page=exhaust

They have many colors from Glacier Black (mine) to a chrome color.  Not very expensive, and you may have a similar shop local to you.  Mine have been holding up great, and pretty much look like they day they were coated.

Hey Cam, got any pics of your V7 with coating?

Brian,You and I are the exact opposite. I buy a guzzi and run the dog out of it. Still have the original Ambo 220k. Two cal 11's 105K and 146K. I did sell the Cal 111 with 144K. Three 98 EV's with a quarter million miles. POS B1200, maybe 50K and many others.

Trucks 77 GMC and 82 Chev.

Women..No comment.

Tex

It's hilarious, I am just like you with cars.  I trade bikes like mad but my last car was a Volvo 940 Turbo that ran 230k before I sold it (still running with 273 now, I hear).  Prior to that a 740 Volvo drivien for 260k before sold.  Now on a wonderful '02 4 dr 4x4 Chevy Tracker with 177k. 

Offline Dofin

• Gosling
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2016, 11:01:14 PM »
Brian, got your V7 from Craig.  Hope it doesn't hurt your feelings but I put a bit larger fairing/windshield on it as I like more wind protection when I do 600 plus mile days and dodging rain drops.  Riding to Atlanta to for MotoAmerica at Road Atlanta, doing Corner work (Flagging) and tent camping.  First trip on the V7. 

Next weekend I will be riding to Birmingham, Volunteering at Barbers Motorsports for the Honda Indy car races, again tent camping.  For sure this V7 has a good new home and wont be a garage queen!  Post photos later.  dofin
76' Yamaha RD400
76' Suzuki GT500
89' Honda PC800
15' Guzzi V7 Stone

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2016, 11:01:14 PM »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2016, 12:21:53 AM »
Go Titanium

Is the titanium exhaust substantially a better thing than the stock set up? I do like the high pipe, it's a bit like the one on my Norge. Is that a mandrel bend linking the headers to the muffler ?

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2016, 12:26:37 AM »
:1: absolutely. What is it with you yanks and black or silver coated headers? Its not some 32 Ford flat head hot rod for goodness sake. Heat discolored headers are like nice non dressed TIG welds to us engineering types especially on TI headers.
Let the unvarnished truth be told, they are headers, they get hot and look cool. Embrace the look and lets stop sooking about blued chrome and such.
Ciao   
He's been hanging so long to get one, he probably just wants to get it the way he thinks it should look, don't you reckon that's part of the enjoyment Lucky ?

beetle

« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2016, 12:34:25 AM »
Is the titanium exhaust substantially a better thing than the stock set up? I do like the high pipe, it's a bit like the one on my Norge. Is that a mandrel bend linking the headers to the muffler ?

It's substantially lighter than the stock double-walled headers. They also pull more heat from the engine.

The mid-pipe is also titanium. Mandrel bent.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2016, 03:11:43 AM »
Ok, seems like a beneficial thing to do

bpreynolds

« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2016, 06:15:25 AM »
Get the bike tuned up proper then visit the folks over at grisoghetto.com; they have maps that work out a bit better for the Griso (you'll need a laptop, Windows, Mac or Linux). Highly recommended; makes lower speed handling much nicer and the bike pulls from the basement when it did not before (goal of the new map, better mileage, better manners in the lower rpm range, not over all hp, which it does very well).

My pipes turned a nice warm color, goes well with the brown seat and green tank. The black on the pictured bike is not to my tastes so it gets a big "Meh". My CB1100's pipes turned a similar color but added in dark dark brown stripes where it appears stresses appeared in the pipe bending process. Like age spots, these are much less endearing.  :tongue: And I'm having problems getting rid of them. The biggest problem I have with my Griso pipes are things getting melted against them.

Stelvio hand guards will fit the Griso and that is the route I took. I've added the Bike Master heated grips (I prefer heated glove liners, but if you left them at home....... :D ).

Want.  Problem is I only got an ipad these days.  Is the maps thing something a dealer could feasibly do?

Brian, got your V7 from Craig.  Hope it doesn't hurt your feelings but I put a bit larger fairing/windshield on it as I like more wind protection when I do 600 plus mile days and dodging rain drops.  Riding to Atlanta to for MotoAmerica at Road Atlanta, doing Corner work (Flagging) and tent camping.  First trip on the V7. 

Next weekend I will be riding to Birmingham, Volunteering at Barbers Motorsports for the Honda Indy car races, again tent camping.  For sure this V7 has a good new home and wont be a garage queen!  Post photos later.  dofin

:1: Not a day goes by that I don't miss that bike.  Such a solid machine.  So glad to hear it wound up in good hands. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 06:16:58 AM by bpreynolds »

pete roper

« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2016, 06:21:39 AM »
Want.  Problem is I only got an ipad these days.  Is the maps thing something a dealer could feasibly do?

No. Getting it right demands a bit of 'Hands On' and a willingness to stop buying  snake oil.

For all my usual *Stuff* I also use iPad. For tuning and mapping I have a Windoze 'pooter. For what you need all that is required is a couple of cables, a beater lap top and a bit of gumption. LEARN! You'll love it!

Pete

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2016, 09:36:47 AM »
Ya, ebay special or perhaps a friend has one that you can mooch off of. Takes a bit of time to read and save off the original map (always recommended) but to write a new map is pretty fast.

For most, the hard part is finding a good working cable and adaptor to interface the bike with the computer.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

bpreynolds

« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2016, 07:43:33 PM »
Got the scarred Griso header pipes ceramic coated and I am even more pleased with the finished look than I imagined I would be.  I don't mind - and even kinda like - just standard bronzing on pipes and all my previous Geese had expected amounts of this; yet, the Griso had been run extremely lean by the previous owner with an unmapped aftermarket muffler that left the headers with liver and other spots - even blue you can see - impossible to remove with polish nor cleaner (tried many different products).  Eventually, I even pulled the headers and used a Scotch-brite 3M varnish remover wheel on them.  That took care of the marred areas and deep discoloration, but I'm not a skilled enough craftsman to make it smooth like and no matter how I tried, the wheel would just leave tiny swirls in the pipes.  Finally decided to get them coated by a recommended local guy.  Wish I would have sooner.  I also received and installed Onur's spacers today on the bars, these combined with the 1" Vario peg lowers did make a significant difference in comfort for the slipped discs in my back; plus, the spacers mostly have a nice clean look to them.  After installing the header pipes this morning I got all lovey dovey about the bike again, so sharp.  Well, minus my goofy screen it is.  Gotta get that thing replaced. 

Before and after along with Onur's spacers.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 07:49:05 AM by bpreynolds »

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2016, 08:05:59 PM »
Oh yeah....black pipes!  Looking good!  For a while there, I thought you were going to color code them to the red on the tank!   :laugh: :laugh:
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

bpreynolds

« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2016, 08:08:14 PM »
Oh yeah....black pipes!  Looking good!  For a while there, I thought you were going to color code them to the red on the tank!   :laugh: :laugh:

:grin:  Well, the guy did show me some reds he could do but I passed on them :thumb:

beetle

« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2016, 08:08:25 PM »
Looks good. :thumb:

bpreynolds

« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2016, 07:46:16 AM »
Looks good. :thumb:

I'll be giving that map a shot soon.  Just gotta get my old pc up and going. 

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here