Author Topic: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners  (Read 554161 times)

Vasco DG

Re: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2014, 11:14:24 PM »
Have you got the cables and software? If so PM me your address, I've got to fire maps off to a couple of people this afternoon, I can easily bung the latest iteration your way.

DO NOTE THAT THERE ARE A VARIETY OF MAPS FOR THE G8 THE COMMONEST ONE IS THE ONE BUILT FOR A STOCK BIKE OR ONE WITH A SIMPLE AFTERMARKET CAN WITH A dB KILLER AND PREFERABLY A CATALYTIC CONVERTER, ALTHOUGH IT WILL WORK WITH JUST A dB KILLER. IT WILL NOT PERFORM OPTIMALLY IF YOU HAVE AN OPEN PIPE AND A ROCK STRAINER IN PLACE OF A PROPER AIR FILTER.

Mark has developed a few maps for different pipes as they all have slightly different requirements but obviously to do individual development work requires access to a machine so equipped. The 'Basic' stock/dBk/CC map will work reasonably and safely though as long as the air filter hasn't been screwed around with. FWIW there is very, very little, if anything, to be gained by changing the filter and it opens a can of worms WRT fuelling at certain points.

Pete

beetle

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2014, 11:26:55 PM »
Should the O2 sensor be removed if it's been turned off , Don't they get carbon'd up if not in use ?

I didn't bother removing mine, and it never got chogged up. I never checked, but I suspect the heater stays operational even if lambda is switched off. When I pulled it out, it was clean as a whistle after more than 6000km.

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2014, 01:16:44 AM »

I didn't bother removing mine, and it never got chogged up. I never checked, but I suspect the heater stays operational even if lambda is switched off. When I pulled it out, it was clean as a whistle after more than 6000km.
Ok good to know, I suspected it was still powered
Vasco, if got a stock air filter system, an aftermarket pipe with a db killer fitted, no cat fitted.
I've managed to set up all cables and software, also in the process of hooking up an innovate LM2.
I'm not chasing any extra performance but maybe some gain in fuel economy when at highway speeds.
Pm'ing address cheers
2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki
If you Ride a Griso, You need Tyres with Gription

Vasco DG

« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2014, 01:43:30 AM »
Sent.

Nikwax, check yer mail too.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2014, 01:43:30 AM »

czakky82

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2014, 07:49:00 AM »
Thank you guys for this write up! It has helped a guy who can rarely find all the keys on the keyboard (me) make sense of this awesome program. ;-T

Has anybody had much luck with finding v11 Sport maps? I am in my experimental phase and would like to see what's out there.

Thanks Bill

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2014, 05:32:11 AM »
Received the map, thanks guys. It definitely made an improvement.
Smoother throughout the rev range.  
It definitely idles better.
  And, I,ve only done 50 km on the new map, but it looks like it might be around  1/2 a litre per 100 km better on fuel( City /Hwy combined) That's another 15 Mins riding between fill ups.
It doesn't sound like much, but this one time , in band camp , I had to push a bike............
A new exhaust and more testing to follow. :bike
(Post #69......... Might be my lucky night)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 05:34:40 AM by Waterbottle »
2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki
If you Ride a Griso, You need Tyres with Gription

Hellgate

« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2014, 08:58:14 PM »
I don't see the exe file for the drivers. What am I not seeing?

beetle

« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2014, 09:08:19 PM »
Were did you download the drivers from? If from the FTDI site they will be zipped.

Download the very latest drivers:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM%20v2.10.00%20WHQL%20Certified.zip

Unzip them, but do not install. Plug in the cable to a USB port and when Windoze tries to install a driver, point it at the directory where the unzipped drivers are. After the install is done, try connecting to the bike. Make sure the fly leads from the 3 pin adapter cable are connected to the battery.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:56:57 AM by beetle »

Hellgate

« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2014, 08:30:18 AM »
Thanks Beetle! My Windows 8.1 machine was a little obtuse. On my Windows 7 machine it works much cleaner.

I also think I ordered the incorrect cable. I've got another one come for Saturday.

Thanks again!

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2014, 05:42:16 PM »
There also setup un exe shape available:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM20830_Setup.exe
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM%20v2.10.00%20WHQL%20Certified.exe

Run these before you connect the cable first time. Bottom one is newest one, and windows 8(.1) gets this from windows update too if you let windows get the driver from windows update. 
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2014, 08:23:13 PM »
I ran into an issue today on a Bassa. I've had this happen before, but today I found a 'fix'.
I tried to set the idle trim. For some reason, this bike was at -94. Nothing I did would change the trim, it stayed at -94. I fired up my old VDSTS software. Same thing, stuck at -94.
I was doing was following the software instructions to set the trim. After changing the value and doing the shutdown, I was waiting 30 seconds or more before starting up GuzziDiag (or VDSTS) again. But when I tried unplugging the 15M during the shutdown to totally shut down the ECU. That worked every time. Odd.

Not sure if the power cycle was clearing something or what was going on, but if you have trouble setting the idle trim, pull the plug on the ECU after it has powered off.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 08:30:19 AM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Hellgate

« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2014, 08:31:02 PM »
Paul, when I try the links you provided I get this message, "This Operation Requires Elevation." 

I have the 2.10.00 driver installed. I can't get the pc to talk to the ECU. Uninstall, reinstall, reboot, etc., etc.

I printed the FTDI users manual too, no luck.

I give up.

beetle

« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2014, 04:53:02 PM »
Paul, when I try the links you provided I get this message, "This Operation Requires Elevation." 

That just means you require administrator rights to complete the install.

I have the 2.10.00 driver installed. I can't get the pc to talk to the ECU. Uninstall, reinstall, reboot, etc., etc.

If you have v2.10.00 drivers installed, you already have the latest drivers. They are the same drivers in Paul's link.

I give up.

Don't do that!

First up, try the test tool to see if you actually have a connection: CLICKY

If that fails and the drivers are installed, then it can be either a bad cable or something in Windoze (firewall, virus software) stopping the connection.

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2014, 05:08:33 PM »
Pete,
the cables you have do have the 232rl chip?
The led on the adapter is on when connected to the bike?
What Bike?
If you go in device manager, and goto the com ports, when the usb is connected to the computer, what do you see as driver at the highest com port number? That should be the ftdi

just like this, this is win 8.1

Paul

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2014, 05:12:06 PM »
Wayne,

Setting Co, is working only if there are no errors, and tps value is in range. When tps is to low, it won't work too. I suppose you have that right so that wouldn't be the case. These are conditions the 15m software defines, not guzzidag, as you see that vdst won't do it too.

I ran into an issue today on a Bassa. I've had this happen before, but today I found a 'fix'.
I tried to set the idle trim. For some reason, this bike was at -94. Nothing I did would change the trim, it stayed at -94. I fired up my old VDSTS software. Same thing, stuck at -94.
I was doing was following the software instructions to set the trim. After changing the value and doing the shutdown, I was waiting 30 seconds or more before starting up GuzziDiag (or VDSTS) again. But when I tried unplugging the 15M during the shutdown to totally shut down the ECU. That worked every time. Odd.

Not sure if the power cycle was clearing something or what was going on, but if you have trouble setting the idle trim, pull the plug on the ECU after it has powered off.

Paul

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2014, 06:57:16 PM »
Setting Co, is working only if there are no errors, and tps value is in range.

I'm thinking that there was an error in memory that I didn't notice. By pulling the plug on the ECU, I was clearing the memory.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2014, 07:30:13 PM »
I'm thinking that there was an error in memory that I didn't notice. By pulling the plug on the ECU, I was clearing the memory.

I know you don't think the 150mv setting is important, but is that what Paul is saying?
and tps value is in range
Certainly no offense intended...
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Hellgate

« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2014, 08:32:32 PM »
Thank you.

This is with my 2013 Stelvio.

I've turned off my firewall and antivirus, verified the driver via device manager.

I'll open up the cables to verify the chip.

Stay tuned...

Vasco DG

« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2014, 08:44:46 PM »
Peter, it really is worth persevering. While I haven't actually experienced a Rexxer mapped Stelvio the G8 I rode that had a 'Stock' Rexxer map was blubbery-rich all over. Whether this is normal and the result of the tuning process or an aberration I can't say.

Pete

canuguzzi

« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2014, 08:49:13 PM »
What a thread. Learned so much right here. Thanks so much! ;-T

Hellgate

« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2014, 08:59:21 PM »
Here's the chips from the two cables I have.

I am now really question what I received from Amazon as both layouts are completely different and none of the chips are 232rl. At least I recognize the Ti logo on one of them...

Thoughts gentlemen?

The good thing is, with Prime, I got them for $9.00 each in two days.

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a618/pmarcell1964/chip1_zpse9abdd00.jpg

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a618/pmarcell1964/20140622_204132_zps9e94a35f.jpg

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 09:00:43 PM by Hellgate »

Hellgate

« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2014, 09:01:37 PM »
No kidding!  :D

Hellgate

« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2014, 09:19:17 PM »
I went ahead and ordered this cable set from the UK that is specifically for GuzziDiag. Pete had posted this on the AF1 site a couple of weeks ago, however I'd already ordered the cables from Amazon.

http://www.lonelec.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=50

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2014, 09:33:26 PM »
I know you don't think the 150mv setting is important, but is that what Paul is saying? Certainly no offense intended...

No. I was at 3.6 degrees as required. (3.58 actually if I recall.) It was the clearing of memory that enabled the throttle trim.
And yes, going through the 150mv setting is goofy IMHO. You never see anyone with a CARC bike doing that.

beetle

« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2014, 11:04:00 PM »
Hellgate, that cable is no good. But you obviously figured that out. :D

You did right ordering from Lonelec. I've updated the first post in this thread with a link to their kit.

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2014, 01:38:52 AM »
first cable has a chiphead 340 chip on it. They might mwork if you connect pin 4 and 5 on the big black connector. But needs the 340 driver too then, if windows didn't find that self.

Amazon cables are mostly wrong. 
Paul

Offline Jukebox

• Hatchling
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2014, 02:04:59 AM »
Hi Hellgate
I ordered the cables Mark (Beetle) posted and all good.

Harry

Hellgate

Re:
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2014, 09:32:52 AM »
Thanks again everyone!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2014, 01:18:42 PM »
No. I was at 3.6 degrees as required. (3.58 actually if I recall.) It was the clearing of memory that enabled the throttle trim.
And yes, going through the 150mv setting is goofy IMHO. You never see anyone with a CARC bike doing that.

I was just telling the things I know that make that you can't set CO. 
A carc (excluded the bellagio) has a linear tps that you can't adjust mechanically. Only with reset tps from diagnostics, that marks the throttle closed as starting point.
Paul

Offline Birch71

• Vrrrroooooommmmer
  • Hatchling
  • Getting paid to shoot people
    • I Shoot People
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2014, 01:49:52 PM »
With all the stuff out there on the 8v Griso, has anyone done work on the 2v?

I still have the stock can, but might go Arrow or the GuzziTech underside can.
I shoot people and make mom's cry- can't believe they pay me for it!

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here