Author Topic: Eric Clapton - A life in 12 bars  (Read 13041 times)

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
Re: Eric Clapton - A life in 12 bars
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2018, 10:33:18 AM »
Luthier's opinion was a commentary on his opinion on their relative merits as guitarists Dusty, not how many times they've shaken hands.
I could go to a hundred concerts, but that doesn't mean it elevates the performer to a higher standard.
BTW..
Mark Knopfler has more taste in his little finger than Clappy will ever posess, but they are both fabulous.

I dig the quote...similar to what BB King said in a guitar player magazine interview "Peter Green has more talent in his little finger than I have in my entire body" pretty strong praise from a blues guitarist :)
Yes all fabulous...If I had to choose.... Peter Green= my favorite Mayall Bluesbreaker guitarist.
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

Offline Irn

• Gosling
  • 2004 Breva750 2007 BMW F800ST 2006 Vespa GTS2500
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2018, 10:34:11 AM »
You've got to love what Clapton, The Stones, etc did for all the US Blues artists, they stole from them, admitted their crimes, and then helped put them back onto their rightful place in the musical legacy of the US.  I so enjoy getting lost in the wormhole of Clapton YouTubes, especially the Crossroad festivals where guys like Vince Gill and Sonny Landreth get to show what incredible guitar slingers they really are.  He even brings out James Burton, and lets not forget Keith Urban

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2018, 10:46:49 AM »
Sonny Landreth is an amazing player. 

A few years ago, the wife and I went to a place called LuLu's which is owned by Jimmy Buffet's sister, anyway we are waiting for Sonny to come on stage when the announcer said that something happened to Sonny and he couldn't make the show so they had a substitute band. Yeah, Jimmy Buffet came out and we left while everyone was hooping and hollering. Quite frankly, I hate that crap he plays.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Irn

• Gosling
  • 2004 Breva750 2007 BMW F800ST 2006 Vespa GTS2500
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2018, 10:56:47 AM »
Blackcat, I have seen Sonny at small clubs 3 times in the past 5 years in the SF Bay Area.  His show never sell out, but I and other guitarists just marvel in awe at the sounds he gets.  Once you get turned onto Sonny it is an addiction.  I just saw him with John Hiatt recreation of the Goners, and the albums they did 30 years ago.  If you have not had a chance to see Sonny, just GO!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:57:53 AM by Irn »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2018, 10:56:47 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2018, 11:11:56 AM »
 Mick Taylor .

Dusty

Offline Numbercruncher

• Hatchling
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2018, 11:17:29 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImrMYnj24JM

This is a killer homage to Eric Clapton.  Her demeanor is not super enthusiastic but man can she play this song Crossroads better than anyone except EC himself.

I also really like his guitar playing in the "beer commercial" version of After Midnight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuSGQPj6OAA

Ironically, I was listening to Rock and Roll music Black Friday weekend still wondering why I never learned to play guitar.  Well the answer to that was a new Stratocaster and amazing $200 amp that models all manner of rock and roll effects without multiple pedals.  I have a long way to go but really enjoy it.

NC
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:19:59 AM by Numbercruncher »

Online Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2018, 02:26:39 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImrMYnj24JM

This is a killer homage to Eric Clapton.  Her demeanor is not super enthusiastic but man can she play this song Crossroads better than anyone except EC himself.

I also really like his guitar playing in the "beer commercial" version of After Midnight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuSGQPj6OAA

Ironically, I was listening to Rock and Roll music Black Friday weekend still wondering why I never learned to play guitar.  Well the answer to that was a new Stratocaster and amazing $200 amp that models all manner of rock and roll effects without multiple pedals.  I have a long way to go but really enjoy it.

NC

Good for you! Music remains a mystery to me even though my Grandad was leader of a family orchestra. I have tried for probably 55 years to pick it up. The best I can do is hear a song, chord along with it unless they go and throw non standard tuning at me  :embarrassed: I really don't think there is any amount of practice that can replace natural talent. Apparently it skipped a generation when it came to me, lol.  I have a Fender G-DEC30 amp and it amuses the hell out of me with its many preset effects. Have fun!    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IBDV1IVGM8
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2018, 03:06:37 PM »
One of the most boring blues guitarists of all time. Don't any of you guys dig Black Blues Guys?  I fell asleep the time I saw Eric doing his thang. He got blown off the stage by Robby Robertson. And by George Harrison. He is a sad little old blues man but the yobbos of the world love him. I guess that's the way the world goes round.

Yessir!  Any comparison of a white guy like Clapton to black guys like Robby R. and G. Harrison is fanciful.  Good thing I'm colorblind!

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2018, 04:26:01 PM »
Well I'm obviously a minority of one when it comes to Slowhand, round here anyway.
Yes I enjoyed the Crossroads series which he organised and which showed him up against some of the best. So at least he has some humility..
 Did someone say he can't be categorized as a Bluesman? Wot? Not much point discussing any further then is there?

I just find his riffs boring and repetitive most of the time. I enjoyed Disraeli Gears when he was experimenting with a lot of effects and branching out from straight blues, in heavy competition with Hendrix at the time, but sadly Clapton just reverted to interminable straight blues forever afterwards which gets old for me. Such a pity Hendrix died on so many levels as his innovation really shook things up. And he came from a pretty boring 12 bar tradition as well.
Most of those dick measuring contests with duelling stratocasters leave me cold. But there was the one against Robbie where Robbie excelled and in my opinion wiped the floor with Clapton in terms of interest and technique.
Yeah I'd say Clapton owns the 12 bar but renders it boring to me.
Just my personal opinion. Sorry to disagree with all youse dudes.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2018, 04:44:40 PM »
Clapton is one of the best and keeps doing it. 

wwwwwwwwhat a career.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2018, 05:16:35 PM »
Blackcat, I have seen Sonny at small clubs 3 times in the past 5 years in the SF Bay Area.  His show never sell out, but I and other guitarists just marvel in awe at the sounds he gets.  Once you get turned onto Sonny it is an addiction.  I just saw him with John Hiatt recreation of the Goners, and the albums they did 30 years ago.  If you have not had a chance to see Sonny, just GO!

We have seen him perform quite a few times in New Orleans.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2018, 05:27:49 PM »
Well I'm obviously a minority of one when it comes to Slowhand, round here anyway.
Yes I enjoyed the Crossroads series which he organised and which showed him up against some of the best. So at least he has some humility..
 Did someone say he can't be categorized as a Bluesman? Wot? Not much point discussing any further then is there?

I just find his riffs boring and repetitive most of the time. I enjoyed Disraeli Gears when he was experimenting with a lot of effects and branching out from straight blues, in heavy competition with Hendrix at the time, but sadly Clapton just reverted to interminable straight blues forever afterwards which gets old for me. Such a pity Hendrix died on so many levels as his innovation really shook things up. And he came from a pretty boring 12 bar tradition as well.
Most of those dick measuring contests with duelling stratocasters leave me cold. But there was the one against Robbie where Robbie excelled and in my opinion wiped the floor with Clapton in terms of interest and technique.

You get no disagreement out of me.  After a few years it all starts sounding the same.  I mean -- how much load can a Stratocaster haul over 12 bars, endlessly before it and the genre are beat to death?  12-bar blues is the café racer of music -- so stringent and overdone that we become numb to it.  Adding a few additional gratuitous lead riffs that demonstrate nothing more than finger speed is like going from chrome to brass acorn nuts on your license plate frame.

Toss in a brass section and some rhythm and you got something altogether else.

I gained an appreciation of EC when he did his unplugged set.  Stripping out the 'lectronics added a fresh dimension to his music for me.  "Layla" in particular went from something I'd switch stations over to one of my favorite songs.  And really, his "personal" songs like "Wonderful Tonight" and "Tears in Heaven" are the ones that have kept my attention. 

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
    • photobucket
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2018, 05:39:19 PM »

Hendrix...not a blues guitarist
Clapton...not a blues guitarist

Hendrix came from R&B, Funk, Soul and Rock...The isley Brothers... certainly influenced by blues...but not blues, not even close

Clapton from the Yardbirds, Mayall and Cream...Rock influenced by blues...not blues...an early British blues band= Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac...they stayed true to the genre

All the boring 12 bar blues guys like BB King, Albert King, Freddy King, Albert Collins, Robert Johnson, Big Bill Broonzy, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Charlie Patten, Leadbelly, Lonnie Johnson, Son House, Tampa Red, Muddy Waters, Chester Burnette, Lightning Hopkins,  TBone Walker, Mike Bloomfield, Otis Rush  were true to their genre and there are many that still follow that path....Ronnie Earl, Jimmy Vaughan, Anson Funderburg, Larry Maccray, Susan Tedeschi, Rory Block on and on.

the whole riff, "diarrhea of the fingers" thing came with the rock scene...everyone has their idea of what blues sounds like....these folks are blues guitar players.
2020 V 85 TT Travel
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2018, 05:55:03 PM »
thanks Giusto

I've just ordered my Tedeschi Trucks Band tickets for the show in Tulsa coming in April. 

That should be a nice 64th Bday present.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 05:57:06 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2018, 05:56:24 PM »
 Then there is the famous bluesman from Ft Smith AR ; Blind Domino Porkchop . Man was and still is a giant .

Dusty

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2018, 06:06:00 PM »
It's just possible that music topics are even more hotly discussed than oil.  I for one really enjoy his unplugged songs.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2018, 08:39:55 PM »
For the purists...you know who you are...notice that I said "bluesy" guitarists in the original post...not Blues Guitarist...

At any rate...I do think Robert Cray in my humble opinion is as good as anyone out there, puts on a great show, engages well with the crowd.

Clapton...I love his playing, but he is less engaging at times with the crowds.  I remember when I lived in Argentina, he came to play a concert at River Plate Stadium...walked on stage, didn't say a word...not "Hello Buenos Aires"...just nothing.  Played an extraordinary concert...got up, didn't say another word, and walked off.  The music was amazing as always, the personality (sort of like Bob Dylan, who also barely says hello) not so evident.

Carry on...more blues, bluesy debate.

Now that I think of it...Johnny Lee Hooker...true blues man, but not much variety in his songs...

Byther Smith...heavy duty Chicago Blues...aggressive, in your face, gritty blues...

Our local guy Allan Heynes...plays every last Saturday at The Big Easy in Houston...sounds  as good as almost all of the heavyweights...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 11:25:08 AM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2018, 09:25:11 PM »

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2018, 09:34:58 PM »
Perhaps he is no Joe Pass, but EC was one of the originators of the “British Blues Sound” and backed it up with some incredible collaborations with other great musicians. Perhaps his early arrival on the scene has made his music seem passé, but I prefer to think that a lot of rockers and blues players got a leg up from Eric Clapton. He was and remains an innovator...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2018, 04:18:50 AM »
I tried to like Clapton, and in fact quite like the Unplugged album where a lot more emotion seems to come out. But I suppose my head was turned by Roy Bookbinder and his playing, and therefore on Rev Gary Davis. That is some sweet stuff.

For myself, I play bluegrass banjo Scruggs style, so naturally my favourite git-fiddle players are Doc, Norman Blake, Clarence White, Tony Rice...

https://youtu.be/qnbOVXfh1sY
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2018, 05:53:44 AM »
Of course Clapton was an originator back in the day with Mayall and the whole British Blues scene. Yes it had trappings of rock but it was English Blues. Not sure why John Mayall hit the skids, a very sad story here, one of my friends was driving down Victoria Road past the Rydalmere Hotel near Paramatta and noticed the billboard announcing John Mayall that evening, it was about 9pm, so he did a quick left turn and went into the pub.
There on stage was Mayall with a band playing hard to an empty room. My friend got to chat with him and it seemed he was on really hard times. This was mid 1990's. How dreadful for someone so talented.
But anyway I won't say this again, Clapton is a white blues guitarist, and I'd much rather hear most black blues players than him.
Doesn't matter, he has made a legend of himself and done some nice stuff over his very busy career. I'm just not a fan.
But it's great to read how passionate so many of you guys are about your musical loves. 
I try to be tolerant of most musical tastes. In fact last Saturday I went to hear a piano man after just buying a piano from him. His playing was impressive but his material almost made me puke. But there was a room full of old codgers, many younger than me, who hung on every note. That's great. I draw the line at duff duff music however and none too fond of modern atonal classical noise either.
Cheers, keep up the passion guys.

Online Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2018, 10:32:18 AM »

I only saw one video of Robbie outplaying Clapton. It was "Further on up the Road", from The Band's  "Last Waltz" concert. Robbie indeed "outplayed" Eric on that tune. I wrote it off to Robbie having a fresh noseful of snow vs. a heroin strung out Clapton.  :wink: No taking away from Robbie's mastery that day.  :bow:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4lRusFbmIs
2017 Suzuki DR650

oldbike54

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2018, 10:50:55 AM »
 Hmm , being a trained musician but not being a guitar player , how specifically did Robbie outplay Eric on that tune ? Having a hard time discerning any qualitative difference . What am I missing , is there some "secret" only a guitar player can hear ?

As for having an off night , we heard Stevie Ray several times , both in small bars and a larger venue , most of the time he was burning down the house , but one night he was not feeling well , and it showed . He even apologized to the audience , of course even that night he was still amazing .

Dusty
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:51:23 AM by oldbike54 »

Offline vstevens

• Gosling
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2018, 11:22:37 AM »
As I've gotten older, Eric Clapton's sound has become much more tonally special and unique to me.  Been a guitar  player since 12... 45 years.  When I was a teen and trying to play as fast as I could, I loved technique and speed over tone.  Now I'm getting close to retirement age and tone, sound and feeling, are what's important to me.  I never appreciated EC or George Harrison or Jeff Beck until I was old enough to understand how great they really are.  And wow the tones that Jeff can still get just playing one note... more powerful and musical than any of the speed demons I liked as a youth.

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
    • photobucket
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2018, 12:02:54 PM »
It seems as though there are enough musicians amongst us....and at our age, lol, most certainly the ability to put some thing musical together for a rally saturday night. It would be a blast if at the next MGNOC National rally....??? A small powered stage, PA, drum set, keyboard and a few amps could be set up for those who want to join in. I’m game.

2020 V 85 TT Travel
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106

oldbike54

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2018, 12:41:42 PM »
It seems as though there are enough musicians amongst us....and at our age, lol, most certainly the ability to put some thing musical together for a rally saturday night. It would be a blast if at the next MGNOC National rally....??? A small powered stage, PA, drum set, keyboard and a few amps could be set up for those who want to join in. I�m game.

Frank , the is a giant pavilion and a stage at Cedar Vale , come on , we can figure something out  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2018, 01:02:28 PM »
Hmm , being a trained musician but not being a guitar player , how specifically did Robbie outplay Eric on that tune ? Having a hard time discerning any qualitative difference . What am I missing , is there some "secret" only a guitar player can hear ?

As for having an off night , we heard Stevie Ray several times , both in small bars and a larger venue , most of the time he was burning down the house , but one night he was not feeling well , and it showed . He even apologized to the audience , of course even that night he was still amazing .

Dusty

I have no idea if Robbie can play with Eric, I do know that Robbie is one of the great songwriters of all time.

My favorite player when at his best is Jeff Beck.  But my goodness, there are so many great ones like Derrick Trucks and John Mayer. 

https://youtu.be/s7l1dTSrsjI
John L 

Online Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2018, 01:06:15 PM »

Dusty

Being an untrained hack,  :grin:  to me it was clarity of note, smoothness of delivery. I.E. get 4 critics together, you get 6 different opinions....kinda like motorcyclists  :laugh:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 01:52:04 PM by oldbike54 »
2017 Suzuki DR650

oldbike54

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2018, 02:02:13 PM »
I have no idea if Robbie can play with Eric, I do know that Robbie is one of the great songwriters of all time.

My favorite player when at his best is Jeff Beck.  But my goodness, there are so many great ones like Derrick Trucks and John Mayer. 

https://youtu.be/s7l1dTSrsjI

Earl Cate and Jimmy Thackery come to mind . We had a young fella here , Mike Antle , who was a seriously talented guitar slinger and singer . Unfortunately he left us at a young age before gaining any recognition outside of the area .

Being an untrained hack,  :grin:  to me it was clarity of note, smoothness of delivery. I.E. get 4 critics together, you get 6 different opinions....kinda like motorcyclists  :laugh:

OK , although that is a a matter of taste . Gatemouth Brown wasn't the cleanest picker ever , and yet his style was undeniable . Hendrix (go ahead , flame away)  was often so sloppy it sounded more like a rough rehearsal than a polished performance , no one ever complained about that . Until the drugs started messing him up , Terry Kath could hold his own with anyone .

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2018, 02:16:06 PM »
This reminds of that Quincy Jones interview I posted last week.

He really put down the Beatles and said that Jimi was too intimidated to play on one of his records. 

Where is the link for that interview?
John L 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here