Author Topic: LM V jetting  (Read 792 times)

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
LM V jetting
« on: April 22, 2018, 09:15:00 PM »
The 1990 LeMans V came with small pod filters, but in the box of parts was a complete stock air box.  I put the stock box back on with a KN filter this winter and test ran the bike today.  It is way lean, which I guess says something about the efficiency of pod filters.  Current jetting is a number 50 slide, K33 needles in the fourth lowest groove, 150 main jets.  Does anyone know the stock setup for this bike?  With this setup and the stock box, it wouldn’t rev past 5500 and turned the plugs white.

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
Re: LM V jetting
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 09:30:27 PM »
That makes no sense. Are you saying the stock filter flows MORE air than the K&Ns? If the stock airbox is more restrictive, that would mean less air which equates to a rich mixture.

Stock was:
K33 Needle
145 Needle jet
62 Idle jet
50/3 slide
260 Atomizer

Ed Milich recommends:
K4 Needle
128 Needle Jet
68 Idle Jet
50/3 Slide
265 Atomizer

His recommendations work very well, I've gone with them. But I don't know how they'll work with the stock filter - I'm running K&Ns.

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 10:05:14 PM »
The stock box with the KN filter must flow more.  The old pods were KNs, but were very small to fit between the carb and the battery.  The stock box also draws air through an intake runner under the tank, so it should draw cold air.  The pods draw air from behind the cylinder, which should be warmer.  It is also possible that the space behind the cylinders is a low pressure area, where the intake under the tank probably gets some ram effect.

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 10:22:57 PM »
The 1990 LeMans V came with small pod filters, but in the box of parts was a complete stock air box.  I put the stock box back on with a KN filter this winter and test ran the bike today.  It is way lean, which I guess says something about the efficiency of pod filters.  Current jetting is a number 50 slide, K33 needles in the fourth lowest groove, 150 main jets.  Does anyone know the stock setup for this bike?  With this setup and the stock box, it wouldn�t rev past 5500 and turned the plugs white.

I worked on those bike new, the stock jetting is crap!

My LeMans 1000 has stock airbox and runs like a scalded dog jetted as follows:

50/3 slide
K4 needle in the middle
AB265 Atomizer (needle jet)
65 pilot
128 main

Don't forget to replace those old enricher plungers and check the cables.

Clean and rebuild the carbs if you have any doubt about their condition.

There are several threads on this board like this one: http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=78619.0

YMMV, be prepared to tweak it a bit but that should be close.

Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 10:22:57 PM »

Offline dxhall

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 10:27:12 PM »
Thanks all.  Just sent the order to Bevel Heaven.   The Milich jets and needles should be here in a couple days.

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 03:55:35 AM »
I have a bit of software that gives main jet equivalents, but I'm too stupid to understand what it's telling me

Perhaps later I'll post a separate thread on it to see if others who are brighter (not difficult) can figure it and help me

I too have went with Ed's recommendations this year for pilot and main, but in Europe I think we got different slides, bike has yet to fire with them

John

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 07:19:57 AM »

I don't see any mention of the exhaust. 

My '89 used the stock airbox and the Euro jetting, I would have to look it up but these guys have it covered.  Mine also wore a Rennsport full exhaust...  what a boomer...!

Best,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 07:41:27 AM »
I found that a needle for the Cali2 is the same taper as the K33, just a longer needle. What this does is move the whole tuning area down into the atomizer and you get better fuel consumption.  It kind of trims the fuel cause it's not the same stuff as EU fuel. I also used a #60 choke jet so your plugs don't get so black.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here