Author Topic: Tell me about the Griso  (Read 6232 times)

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
Tell me about the Griso
« on: April 23, 2018, 08:24:11 PM »
I've recently been looking these up and decided I want to know more about them. What can yall tell me about them? Are they old enough to where there's been books written about them or anything like that? Any good websites where I could get some good solid general information? I think I've fallen in love with them with how different of a bike they are, seeing one in person seems to have made me realize this
2019 V7 III Stone " Murci "
1975 850T " Guzziaughtsix "

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
Re: Tell me about the Griso
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 08:30:44 PM »
Get yourself over to the Griso Ghetto and start reading. https://www.grisoghetto.com/

More information concentrated there and a bunch of folks who really know this bike. Main thing to watch for is the early 8-valve engine with flat tappets - must be upgraded to roller tappets before the engine self-destructs. After that it's mostly little Guzzi things to manage. Maybe the most iconic CARC model produced. Sold mine for a smaller V7 to save my back but wish I had the budget to keep it.

The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline zebraranger

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 08:40:58 PM »
If you go for one, get a 2013 or newer, they don't have the flat tappets issue. I purchased a new 16 in 2016 and its pretty much been reserved as my weekend Hooligan bike. Just about nothing that I've owned in 40 years of riding has had the character, uniqueness, soul and fun factor that the Griso has for local urban riding and short to medium type of trips. Its one of the most charismatic, unique and capable roadsters that I've ever ridden, with a little quirkiness thrown in. Tons of torque, pulls like a freight train and pushing this thing just a little, truly awakens the human sensory perceptions. Its one that I will keep until I no longer can ride.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:42:22 PM by zebraranger »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 08:50:54 PM »
one F/S near me, not really interested but it has the Guzzitech treatment.. whats your take Roper?

why did the pipes turn so blue?

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/mcy/6569714668.html
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 08:50:54 PM »

beetle

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 09:21:01 PM »

why did the pipes turn so blue?

They're titanium.

Offline nobleswood

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 09:25:00 PM »
I have to agree with what's already been said.

Couldn't resist getting a Griso just over a year ago as well as my V11 Sport, it just puts a grin on my face riding it.

:evil:

That's a good deal on the Minneapolis bike
2004 V11 Sport Naked / Ballabio
2013 1200 8v Griso

beetle

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 09:27:38 PM »
one F/S near me, not really interested but it has the Guzzitech treatment

Quote from: Craigslist
Guzzitech full fueling upgrade with closed loop wide band O2 and PC V and programmer
Guzziech open filter

It'll be a fuel guzzling slug with an intake that makes a fatigue inducing raucous din.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 09:40:25 PM »
I thought so, thanks Beetle
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

pete roper

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 11:13:51 PM »
Yet another one tht’s Had the full treatment and then is immediately up for sale? What does that tell you?

Pete

Offline PhilB

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 11:36:32 PM »
I do not currently own a Guzzi, but I like them and have ridden a few, and one is a shortlist contender for my next bike.

My last bike was a 1993 Ducati M900 Monster, which I bought new (at Sonny Angel's in San Diego -- he also sold Guzzis for many years).  I rode that Duc for 24 years and 265K miles, until we got taken out by a hit-and-run minivan last October.  I'm about fit to ride seriously again, and am looking to my next bike.  Something I would be wanting to turn over 250K on in about the year 2040.

I want to aim a bit more to sport-touring than the M900 was.  I could ride it 500-600 miles a day pretty easily, and rode it to 35 states plus parts of Canada and Mexico, but it wasn't really best suited for that.

My top contenders, of what I've tested so far, are: Ducati 939 SuperSport (the easy safe choice), Moto Guzzi Griso (grabs me every time I ride one, also the cheapest on my list), KTM 1290 SuperDuke (the gonzo choice), or Motus MST (the topshelf choice, but a bit of a risk).

PhilB

Offline LBC Tenni

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 11:38:50 PM »
Yet another one tht’s Had the full treatment and then is immediately up for sale? What does that tell you?

Pete

Just like my Norge. The epidemic is spreading into the hinterlands now. I thought it was just a So Cal thing. What a shame.
2011 GRiSO SE8V Tenni

Offline LBC Tenni

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 11:50:50 PM »
To the OP, ride a Griso. I’ve owned many bikes over the years from many brands. The Griso is easily my favorite. If I could only have one bike for the rest of my life, Griso would be it. You can pay a lot more money for less bike.
2011 GRiSO SE8V Tenni

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 12:22:22 AM »
Howdy PhilB.  Good to see you on WildGuzzi.  I’ve followed your high mileage Ducati saga for several years.

Condolences on the loss of a tried and true friend.  :sad:

If you are looking for Italian iron that has character and can rack up serious mileage, you have come to the right place.   Guzzis can do that.  And the valve adjustments are stupid simple.
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline Thirtyaughtsix

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 12:31:41 AM »
To the OP, ride a Griso. I�ve owned many bikes over the years from many brands. The Griso is easily my favorite. If I could only have one bike for the rest of my life, Griso would be it. You can pay a lot more money for less bike.

I would love to as financially dangerous as that may be, it'll probably seal the deal. I have an odd feeling of liking the bike but not knowing why, there's just something about it. And I would definitely buy newer, not trying to mess with any flat tappets.

I think more than anything this bike is choosing me, I may have chosen the 850T but I feel like this one is choosing me, it feels very reminiscent of when I was shopping for my guitar and found the one I liked, haven't bought a guitar since
2019 V7 III Stone " Murci "
1975 850T " Guzziaughtsix "

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 12:38:08 AM »
Yet another one tht�s Had the full treatment and then is immediately up for sale? What does that tell you?

Pete
Oh, I dunno..
Let me guess.

That they're no bloody good no matter how much money you throw at them..?
Just a guess. :evil:

beetle

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 02:50:43 AM »
Huzo, throwing money at a Griso works a treat. You just need to throw it in the right direction.

:laugh:

Offline wyno

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2018, 03:00:39 AM »
Maybe I'll let Huzo ride my bike tomorrow, that'll fix him. Then he won't want to ride his any more. Or he'll plague Pete until he sells him the  1200 donk out of his Stelvio. LOL.
Wyno

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 03:09:54 AM »
I have a '07 1100 2 valve with 50,000+ miles.  Right now it's torn apart.  I'm doing the swingarm bearing grease, driveshaft spline grease, new rear brake pads, oil, valve adjustment and spark plug service.  Then it needs another set of tires.  Call it $550 for parts.

The only real problems I've had is a oil sending unit (< $40) and an electrical short in the fuel pump ($10 in fuses to diagnose).

The 10,000 mile service takes me less time to do than just driving to the local dealer.  who is relatively close

I keep looking at shocks & springs but at $1800 or so for front & rear it's probably not going to happen.  I've spent to many years riding mountain bicycles / road bicycles with no suspension offroad to stay seated.  I normally "lift" my arse off the saddle over bumps and I'd rather put the money toward another bike.

My longest time in the saddle is 13 hours in one day.

I don't want or need the 4v as the 1100 is plenty quick enough for me.

Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 03:10:51 AM »
Huzo, throwing money at a Griso works a treat. You just need to throw it in the right direction.

:laugh:
As if I had any doubt !

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 03:12:24 AM »
Maybe I'll let Huzo ride my bike tomorrow, that'll fix him. Then he won't want to ride his any more. Or he'll plague Pete until he sells him the  1200 donk out of his Stelvio. LOL.
I wouldn't subject you to my old thing.
We've been getting on well up 'till now.

pete roper

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 03:13:41 AM »
The huge Achilles heel of the Norge�s and Sports is their forks. Sure they are comfortable but if you want to push the envelope? Well, fleabay is full of much, much better kit that can be made to fit for pennies.....

Just sayin.....

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2018, 03:16:29 AM »
The huge Achilles heel of the Norge�s and Sports is their forks. Sure they are comfortable but if you want to push the envelope? Well, fleabay is full of much, much better kit that can be made to fit for pennies.....

Just sayin.....
I was a Postie from 1978 to 2013...
I've pushed enough envelopes.
Conservatively 400,000 k's on CT 110 Hondas.
I had an MV Augusta SPR for a while and the rock hard ride gave me the screaming shits.
The so called soft front end isn't what stops me going faster.
I just get too scared... :embarrassed:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 03:19:59 AM by Huzo »

Offline Tim Henry

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2018, 04:15:28 AM »
I purchased my 15 as a zero miles leftover first week of 17
It's a daily rider put about 16 thousand plus km on it only trouble was a foggy speedo and worn stitching on the saddle both replaced
Under warranty, by far the best mc I've owned by far

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2018, 06:35:00 AM »

I keep looking at shocks & springs but at $1800 or so for front & rear it's probably not going to happen.  I've spent to many years riding mountain bicycles / road bicycles with no suspension offroad to stay seated.  I normally "lift" my arse off the saddle over bumps and I'd rather put the money toward another bike.

Traxxion in Atlanta re-sprung and re-valved my rear shock for less than $400.  I think they will do the other end for about the same, but I don't have many complaints about the front.  They know the Sachs. 

As for the Griso, well I lusted after them when they first came out in 2007.   My wife rides with me and a Griso doesn't make for a happy pillion so I had to wait until I could afford a "luxury item" like a second bike.  When I finally got mine it didn't disappoint and it's found its forever home in my garage.
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2018, 10:01:05 AM »
I have a '07 1100 2 valve with 50,000+ miles. I don't want or need the 4v as the 1100 is plenty quick enough for me.

I, too am enamored with it's visual appeal and the accolades it receives in this forum. I saw an '07 red version with LOW miles for sale near me as a trade-in for a Harley, listed for only $3900. a 2V would be fine for me, but I don't think I'll see one at that price with that low miles again.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2018, 03:16:24 PM »
I, too am enamored with it's visual appeal and the accolades it receives in this forum. I saw an '07 red version with LOW miles for sale near me as a trade-in for a Harley, listed for only $3900. a 2V would be fine for me, but I don't think I'll see one at that price with that low miles again.

Except for the one SLDMRossi just posted for sale in Gainesville. Grrrrrrrrrr
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2018, 04:01:12 PM »
OP, I don't think it's been mentioned above  -  I find the Griso a fine bike for touring, too. Just get a little luggage rack, strap on a suitable bag, and you're good to go for a loooong ride. Get some wind protection.
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

pete roper

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2018, 05:47:39 PM »
Ride one. One that hasn’t been futzed about with by someone who hasn’t got a clue how to tune one. If there is one thing that is guaranteed to put off potential owners of any W5AM Guzzi it’s riding one that is poorly or incorrectly tuned. Incidentally there has never been an easier motorbike to tune so I can’t for the life of me understand how certain people can get it so wrong.

Be aware that Griso doesn’t speak to everyone. That’s fine but if he does speak to you you will probably have a bike for life. It is an amazingly versatile motorbike and can be adjusted to fit most people if they aren’t happy with the original ergonomics. Most common criticisms being the bars being too wide and the pegs being a bit high.

To those of us who are Griso tragics the fact is we’ve probably spent far more on modifications than we need too as the stock bike is pretty damn good but I’ve been developing my 8V for a decade and rode an 1100 for two years before that. The list of mods is extensive but the underlying heart of the bike remains essentially unchanged. The 1100, indeed even the 850’s, are superb motorcycles. It’s just that the 8V offers much *More* fun. The only real ‘Elephant in the Corner’ is the flat tappet fiasco that affected pre-mid 2012 8V models. That and the absence of grease in swingarm and shock linkage bearings are the only real bugbears to ownership. The first can be avoided by simply buying a 2013 on model and the latter requires a couple of hours work to rectify.

Pete

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2018, 06:59:33 PM »
Truly a great bike.

IMO, the 4 valve motor better suits the 'thug' nature of the bike. I wouldn't like mine near as much if it had the same motor as my Norge.  Yes the 4V is slower,  yes it has less power and a lower redline, yes it's older Tech, but I just like it more.

That said, as others have mentioned head over to the ghettto, good Guzzi content in general, but mostly focussed on the Griso.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 07:07:46 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2018, 08:36:22 PM »
I never thought much of the Griso until I took the time to look one over closely. Grows on you real fast. The owner was tripping 400 mile days without a problem, and that was beyond his regular comfort zone, so whatever...?
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here