Author Topic: Guzzi Security Code Question  (Read 13125 times)

Offline derek533

• Hatchling
Guzzi Security Code Question
« on: July 26, 2016, 10:34:40 PM »
Hey guys, just bought a Breva 1100.  Today, when I turned on the bike, the message display said "please remember to insert your code".  Reading through the manual, it seems as though I need two keys to recover the code or change it.   

My question is, only one key came with the bike (I'm presuming the original owner lost it).  Is there a way to reset the code without a 2nd key and is this something a dealer has to do?  Also, since I don't know the code, I'm not going to be left stranded somewhere because the bike won't start will I? 

Thanks in advance.
06 Breva 1100

Married, 3.5 kids, and very blessed.

Offline TobyJug

• Hatchling
Re: Guzzi Security Code Question
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 11:36:51 PM »
Someone else will, hopefully, give you a more complete answer but, as I recall, you don't need to enter a user code.  But if you do, it makes sense to make it the same as the service code, which is useful.  That way, you'll only have the one code to remember.

2014 Norge GT 8V

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 12:13:40 AM »
The 'Please insert your code' is a reminder to set the user-defined code - some riders do this, some ignore the message perpetually. If it has never been set, then I believe the best procedure is to obtain a second key, use the service code (not the user code) to enable the new key, then set the user code to whatever you choose - the most common is to use the service code as the user code. Remember, a user code is there so you can start the bike when using a key that is cut properly, but that is not recognized by the ECU (such as when the transponder ship fails, the antenna fails, etc.). Even if someone knows the code, they still need a key in the cylinder that can turn the switch.

ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 07:55:31 AM »
The 'Please insert your code' is a reminder to set the user-defined code - some riders do this, some ignore the message perpetually. If it has never been set, then I believe the best procedure is to obtain a second key, use the service code (not the user code) to enable the new key, then set the user code to whatever you choose - the most common is to use the service code as the user code. Remember, a user code is there so you can start the bike when using a key that is cut properly, but that is not recognized by the ECU (such as when the transponder ship fails, the antenna fails, etc.). Even if someone knows the code, they still need a key in the cylinder that can turn the switch.

I get his message with 'both' key's?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 07:55:31 AM »

Offline derek533

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 08:00:36 AM »
How would I go about finding the Service Code and how do I even enter a user code in the first place?  Can't seem to figure out how to even enter a code. 

I'll be going through a city that has an authorized Guzzi dealer next week and will try to get a second key as suggested and try that out.  Thanks for the suggestions fellas.
06 Breva 1100

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 08:11:15 AM »
How would I go about finding the Service Code and how do I even enter a user code in the first place?  Can't seem to figure out how to even enter a code. 

I'll be going through a city that has an authorized Guzzi dealer next week and will try to get a second key as suggested and try that out.  Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 01:20:30 PM »
What MPH used to do was reset the code to the last five digits of the VIN.  Nothing to remember that way.  An elegant and simple solution.

Offline KraZ440

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 01:27:17 PM »
When I bought my new bike, the recommendation I got from the dealer was to not set a user code and just ignore the message at startup.
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
1982 Kawasaki KZ440

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 02:45:41 PM »
When I bought my new bike, the recommendation I got from the dealer was to not set a user code and just ignore the message at startup.

Now, there's a dealer that I would listen to, NOT!

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 03:49:38 PM »
Now, there's a dealer that I would listen to, NOT!

Why is the code even needed? For what propose?

Offline KraZ440

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 04:01:09 PM »
Why is the code even needed? For what propose?
My understanding is that it is an extra level of security. If you choose to add that extra level of security, then you have to be willing to take the extra effort of managing that extra level, including making sure that the information is passed on to a future owner. My dealer explained the pros and cons, but he personally felt that the extra level of security was not worth the effort. YMMV.
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
1982 Kawasaki KZ440

pete roper

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 04:42:27 PM »
Well your dealer's a twit.

Without inserting a user code if something happens to the antenna you can't start the bike. The dash will ask for the code, don't have one? Call a tow truck! Waste more $'s

It's very bloody easy. It's in the owner's handbook but once again, with feeling.

Go to the menu.

Scroll down to 'Change the code' and hold the button down.

Chose a number by flicking the toggle or repeatedly giving short presses of the button , then store it by holding the toggle in in the central position or the button down until the cursor moves to the second position.

Repeat four more times until you have a five figure number, that's your code. I use the first five numerals of my birth date so I can won't forget it.

Hold down the button/toggle one last time.

Retreat to it of the menu and turn off the ignition.

Next time you turn it on the stupid, irritating, message will be gone and if someone tries to steal your bike and damages the ignition switch or antenna you'll still be able to get home by inserting the code when asked.

Why anyone would choose not to perform this simple, five minute, process is beyond me!

Pete

Offline derek533

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 05:09:31 PM »

Without inserting a user code if something happens to the antenna you can't start the bike. The dash will ask for the code, don't have one? Call a tow truck! Waste more $'s

It's very bloody easy. It's in the owner's handbook but once again, with feeling.

Go to the menu.

Chose a number by flicking the toggle or repeatedly giving short presses of the button , then store it by holding the toggle in in the central position or the button down until the cursor moves to the second position.

Repeat four more times until you have a five figure number, that's your code. I use the first five numerals of my birth date so I can won't forget it.

Next time you turn it on the stupid, irritating, message will be gone and if someone tries to steal your bike and damages the ignition switch or antenna you'll still be able to get home by inserting the code when asked.

Why anyone would choose not to perform this simple, five minute, process is beyond me!

Pete

Thanks!  The dealer I bought the used bike from just now located the manual and I have to go pick it up so I didn't know how to get to it prior. 

Ok, so let me understand this:  I have two options. 

1.  Ignore the message

2.  Get replacement key and use the service code as the user code. 

06 Breva 1100

pete roper

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 06:15:06 PM »
Getting another key cloned first lwould be wise that way they will both easily be recognised by the dash. As for the security code it can be any five numeral number you like.

Pete

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 08:05:03 PM »

Go to the menu.

Pete

What antenna?

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 08:06:10 PM »
Getting another key cloned first lwould be wise that way they will both easily be recognised by the dash. As for the security code it can be any five numeral number you like.

Pete

Both key's work without the code?

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 08:20:57 PM »
What antenna?

The ECU has an immobilizer circuit - the key has a chip that responds to a signal from the ECU after you turn the key. About the same time as the needle sweep and light show, the ECU sends a weak radio signal through an antenna located like a collar around the switch. The chip responds with a code which the ECU checks against a list it keeps of registered keys (up to if I recall). If the key is registered, the ECU lets you start the bike. If it isn't, it asks for a user code before allowing you to start the bike - even though the key is cut correctly.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 08:24:51 PM »
The ECU has an immobilizer circuit - the key has a chip that responds to a signal from the ECU after you turn the key. About the same time as the needle sweep and light show, the ECU sends a weak radio signal through an antenna located like a collar around the switch. The chip responds with a code which the ECU checks against a list it keeps of registered keys (up to if I recall). If the key is registered, the ECU lets you start the bike. If it isn't, it asks for a user code before allowing you to start the bike - even though the key is cut correctly.

an the bike starts anyways, both keys, makes zero difference.

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 08:33:36 PM »
So I input a security code and the bike works or I do nothing and the bike works? Help me with this?

Offline derek533

• Hatchling
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 10:37:32 PM »
06 Breva 1100

oldbike54

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 10:44:48 PM »
So I input a security code and the bike works or I do nothing and the bike works? Help me with this?

It's very simple , even for an Okie . As long as there is no problem the lack of a code is not an issue. But , if someone tries to steal the bike , or there is a tech problem , then you are gonna need the code .

Dusty

pete roper

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 11:01:43 PM »
Yup, the default code will work as well but if someone forces the lock and gets the 'Insert Code' message chances are they will try five zero's as a starter. Why make it easy? Inserting your own code also means you don't get the message indicating you're an idiot on the dash when you turn the ignition on. Things like that irritate the piss out of me. Maybe they don't you? Your choice.

Pete

Offline Bravo Sierra

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 11:29:26 PM »
Hey “derek533” congrats on the new to you Breva! I have had my 06 Breve since 08 and love it, 20K or so. Have had the same message for as long as I have owned the bike I just keep riding but reading this thread guess I should sort it out... Taking off on a 500 mile trip soon, I'll figure this out some day. Enjoy your bike, one of my favorite bikes of all time!

Bob
 :thumb:

pete roper

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 02:16:08 AM »
Its not bloody hard!

for crying out loud how many of you people would want to go back to having to physically unlock your car when you wanted to get in it and drive? How many us would be sitting with flat batteries in our cars if they did't bleep at us when we got out and had left the lights on? Yes, I'm just as guilty of such laziness as anyone but I'm not going to suddenly come all over all 'Technophobe' when its something as simple as punching five numbers into a dashboard!

Satan on a Surfboard! Anybody would think you were being asked to reprogram the launch target co-ordinates for NORAD with a blindfold on and Vladimir Putin blowing cheap meth up yer blurters! If its that hard go and live in a cave and catch your supper with an antelope's thighbone! I'm told that a travois towed by a dog is all the rage among the 'Up-To-Date' caveman set!

Pete

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 07:19:46 AM »
I blame http://millcitymoto.com/

When I purchased the bike and rode it home the tires had like 20 psi in them. Nothing was said about this code, time to take matters into my own hands and code the dang thing. Makes me wonder about that 1st service that costs me $300. They didn't even know the service interval for the Norge.

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2016, 08:13:30 AM »
Pete you got me laughing this morning again.....

Satan on a surfboard  :evil:

keepem coming.

Mark

Offline derek533

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2016, 05:10:16 PM »
For fear of Pete's rage again :whip2:, let me say this one last thing as I think I got it. 

So if I am understanding you nasa engineers correctly, if it's asking for a code on every start up, it means that one has never been put in and I can freely put in my own without fear of locking myself out of the bike so to speak.

Correct? 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 06:03:47 PM by derek533 »
06 Breva 1100

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2016, 05:21:23 PM »
If I'm reading all this correctly. The answer is YES!! As long as the chip on the key can be read by the ECU. If the chip or antenna is damaged, then you need your key AND THE CODE YOU ENTERED.

Don't forget your code!! Keep it simple in the ways mentioned here.

Hey I think I understand this and don't even own one with all this electo gadgetry!!  :thumb:

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2016, 06:22:51 PM »
did ya get the one Euroteck had? Congrats! It looked ready to travel.

PM me, as I might have a few thing that can help.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2016, 06:25:36 PM »
reading all this makes me glad I ride an Eldorado  :bike-037:
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here