Author Topic: Rick4003's T5 restoration/rebuild  (Read 17687 times)

Offline balvenie

• Guzzi Hero
Re: Rick4003's T5 restoration/rebuild
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2018, 07:55:22 PM »
Thanks for those great pics, Rick :grin: :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline Rick4003

• Guzzi Mentor
« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2018, 04:07:34 PM »
Thanks for following along :) It makes it more fun to post when you know somebody is following.

I have more and more doubt about this type of hydraulic clutch setup. Now it works and it works very well, but I don't know if it is an actual improvement over a well lubed cable. So far I like the way it is working and feel is also good. The main reason for not going back to cable was simply to prove to myself that it could be done better than it was. I will try to measure the force it takes to pull in the clutch lever if I can find a luggage weight to measure it with. It is not super hard but it is no feather light action either. Maybe next week I can try and measure the cable pull clutch from my buddys G5 and see how the difference is.

Just put in one step bigger idle jets so now the jetting is:
Main 134
Idle 54
Needle K-18
Choke 70
Slide I believe is a 60. Will check tomorrow and will check needle height.
I suspect it is running a bit rich at the moment so will try to do some plug pulls tomorrow and see how they look.

Did another 100km on the bike today and it is running very well. On the control side of things. I have still not gotten used to the two button indicator setup. Mainly the right side indicator button is what bugs me, very time you want to indicate to the right you let go of the throttle a bit or completely to reach around and push the button. Makes it really difficult to be smooth on the gas in and out of right hand turns. Roundabouts are the worst on the indicator side of things.

Mostly minor issues or concerns now, the bikes rides well overall  :bike-037:
I received the AFR500v2 wideband controller the other day, so might make up a fitting to put in the exhaust without having to plug it directly in the header pipes. Will see how much time I got on my hands.

Took it down to check on the boat :)

Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996

Offline Rick4003

• Guzzi Mentor
« Reply #122 on: June 15, 2018, 03:15:06 PM »
A few more thoughts and niggles.

I have now done around 500 km on the bike the last few days, jetting is close to being good, although I suspect it running on the lean side. Will try to make up the pipe for the wideband controller and see if I can get some readings from the exhaust.

Still dislike the two button indicator setup. Will probably change it to a 3-way switch and push buttons for light. Hoping to find a newer Ducati left switch, they should have this setup.

Seat is too low and foot pegs are too high for rides with full gear, if I ride just in my jeans I don't have so much trouble, but it is really cramped with riding pants on too. Might have to think up some new foot peg mounting and make a new seat. I want the bike to be comfortable enough to ride longer distances with no major discomfort. So these two mods are definitely going to happen at some point.

Clutch seem to work better and better, the clutch action is pretty light now. Still don't have anything to measure it with.

-Ulrik
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996

Offline Rick4003

• Guzzi Mentor
« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2018, 03:13:30 AM »
 Current jetting of the bike that I think is working well is:

Main jet 134
Idle jet 54
Needle K-18, third notch from top.
Throttle slides I have found not to be the same :( 60/3 on the left side and 50/3 on the right side. I have to dig into my stash and see if the slides from the phf30s are the same, then I can try those out if they are not too worn.

-Ulrik
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996

Offline balvenie

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2018, 04:17:11 AM »
The throttle slides are different :shocked:
But from what you have demonstrated Rick, you could make your own version :grin: :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline Rick4003

• Guzzi Mentor
« Reply #125 on: June 16, 2018, 04:27:30 AM »
Haha, I could probably, but I think it would take a lot longer than to dig through my pile of parts to find the phf30's I have somewhere. I believe the slides should be the same as for the 36's. Hopefully they are not too worn and will match.

I don't know why on earth he has send me two different slides in the carbs I have bought as a kit. Didn't think about checking it back then. Don't know if he would like to send me a new slide to match two years after I bought them.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996

Offline Rick4003

• Guzzi Mentor
« Reply #126 on: Today at 06:44:19 AM »
I promised to post some pictures of how the bleed screw exits above the shifter arm but forgot about it, so here you go :)

I have also changed the front tire as it was 11 years old. As mentioned in a post several pages back I bought a set of Bridgestone S21 tires, but never got them mounted. I will not mount the rear tire before the current Michelin Pilot Power 2ct  is worn enough to justify it. I installed an Outlex tubeless kit on the front rim and so far it looks to do the job with no leaks :) I have 400km on the tire since changing it on sunday and it doesn't seem to have lost any air.

Cleaning of the rim to ensure a good bond. I used a kitchen towel and brake cleaner. There was a lot of dust and dirt inside the tire and on the rim from I can only guess is the tire and tube rubbing against each other. It took a while to get it clean!

Rim with the tubeless kit installed. There is two layers of tape, the first one is a rubbery tape that sticks on both sides. This one you put down and ensure that there is a good bond all over and take care to get all the air squeezed out so there isn't any air pockets. The next layer is a protection tape, that isn't really a tape as it doesn't stick but is stuck on the double stick first layer. First layer is put on with the joint to the left of the valve hole and the second layer is put on with the joint on the right side. On the last joint you put an extra layer of double stick and protection tape.

This rim has the tubeless tire safety beads on, so I should be good to go with them.

-Ulrik
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here