Author Topic: Indian's new leg burner FTR1200  (Read 3972 times)

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
Re: Indian's new leg burner FTR1200
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2018, 12:27:20 PM »
No.  But they are developing a production version for sale in the Fall.

Hopefully FTR1200 won't equal Victory's Octane.  LOL.

Victory made all that noise at Peak with a kick ass race bike, told everyone "a version" was coming to market, then all we got was a rebadged Scout cruiser with Bold New Graphics!

I wouldn't be surprised to see flat track looking bodywork applied to the existing Scout platform.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2018, 04:00:19 PM »
I entered to win one on the website, now I can just sit back and wait for it to be delivered...
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2018, 04:02:58 PM »
Definitely a step in the right direction for the kind of riding the majority of us on here like to do.  While I like the looks of the Scout and its 100 HP, I'm just not keen on  the feet forward riding position, either.  I'm just happy that the Indian brand is doing so well for Polaris.   
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 04:03:39 PM by Vince in Milwaukee »
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2018, 04:21:27 PM »
Just finished another trip out west with our Scouts. They are getting near 60 MPG now at back road touring speed, and about 55 at highway. 135+ until the fuel light, more than enough for our style of travel. But not important for the FTR target. Still might get one.

5900 miles in 3 weeks or so, only saw 2 V7s on the road, and 1 Stelvio on a trailer.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2018, 04:21:27 PM »

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2018, 04:42:30 PM »
I'm thinking the same as Rocker.  Time will tell.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2018, 04:45:46 PM »

Victory made all that noise at Peak with a kick ass race bike, told everyone "a version" was coming to market, then all we got was a rebadged Scout cruiser with Bold New Graphics!

I wouldn't be surprised to see flat track looking bodywork applied to the existing Scout platform.

I suspect that you are right.  Doubtful that an expensive race derived frame and high dollar suspension would be cost effective.  I'd hope for rear sets, or at least standard mounts and fly screen might make it.  I'd hate to see a only number plate with mini headlight with front mounts.  Hopefully, a street tracker and cafe version.

I've asked the local Indian shop about this bike a couple of times over the last year or so.  They don't know anything and give me blank look when I ask about control mounts. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 04:48:16 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2018, 06:13:41 PM »
what's that have to do with rear sets?

Oops.  Read rear seats.  Never pictured a cruiser with rear sets.  Especially with that low seat height.  I can't even ride one with mid controls.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2018, 08:42:25 PM »
Oops.  Read rear seats.  Never pictured a cruiser with rear sets.  Especially with that low seat height.  I can't even ride one with mid controls.

I think the whole idea here is that a street tracker isn't a cruiser.  Otherwise, there'd be no thread. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 10:06:09 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline jguzzi

• Hatchling
  • 1971 Ambassador, MGNOC# 11324
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2018, 09:57:56 PM »
I am a long time Guzzi fan and have 3 right now (Ambassador LAPD, Convert, and Cali III).  But I have also become an Indian fan.  I bought a 2016 Scout 60 which back then came with $1000 of free accessories.  I did not like the forward controls and low seat so I put on the reduced reach controls, beach bars which require less reach, floor boards which allows me to rest my feet further back and a 1920s solo seat which sits up higher than the stock by about 3 inches I think.  Also have a dual seat and the stock seat which came with it.  I could not be happier with it.  It is powerful and really fun to ride.  Here is a pic:

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2018, 05:21:43 AM »

Perhaps and it'll be another nice running porky bike...

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2018, 05:52:50 AM »
That bike looks like a real "bun burner" to me.  Cool concept though, but I do not like the hot exhaust location one bit.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2018, 06:54:34 AM »
As for the tank, the Scout has a similar size tank as a Sportster.  It's 3.3 gallons.  I don't know if this bike will have the same capacity or not but the Scout is meant to steal sales from the Sportster so the size is fine for most people cross shopping them.

FWIW, about half of the production Sportsters come with a 4.5g tank, and you can always swap that onto the other half.

Like this guy:

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2018, 09:46:34 AM »
I'd tour anywhere anyone wanted to go on that .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2018, 09:50:29 AM »
I'd tour anywhere anyone wanted to go on that .....

Lannis

Not every rider needs or wants a two wheel Buick....

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2018, 10:13:43 AM »
  Not every rider needs or wants a two wheel Buick....

Of course, when I say "I", I mean literally one of me, which is what that Sportster is made for.

The "Buick" syndrome starts to take effect when the job of the touring bike is to carry two people and all their gear for a long trip in comfort.     

When it's just Me, I'll ride anything and call it a touring bike.   When there's two of us, you've got to have some seat and legroom, some storage, some power, and some brakes.    And along with that invariably comes the other stuff, because that's how bike companies build them .... !

Lannis

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2018, 11:59:23 AM »
It would take sterner guy than me to tour on a Sportster. 

Hail to you macho guys. 

John L 

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2018, 01:20:51 PM »
It would take sterner guy than me to tour on a Sportster. 

If I remember, that's a later-model rubber-mount Sportster with modern brakes, a reasonable seating position, etc.   Shouldn't be much difference between that an a lot of other modern bikes.

I must say though, that I'd rather tour on my A10 or A65 BSA (which I do) rather than an old solid mount CH with a magneto.    You can use electronic ignition and a balanced crank to smooth out a BSA twin very nicely - but the 45 degree crank geometry of the Sportster resists all such efforts ....

Lannis

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2018, 02:07:48 PM »
If I remember, that's a later-model rubber-mount Sportster with modern brakes, a reasonable seating position, etc.   Shouldn't be much difference between that an a lot of other modern bikes.

I must say though, that I'd rather tour on my A10 or A65 BSA (which I do) rather than an old solid mount CH with a magneto.    You can use electronic ignition and a balanced crank to smooth out a BSA twin very nicely - but the 45 degree crank geometry of the Sportster resists all such efforts ....

Lannis

Yup.  I'd tour on that and I don't even really like Harley's.  I don't know what the tires are but they look great for smooth gravel roads too.   

Online Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2018, 02:11:50 PM »
The "Buick" syndrome starts to take effect when the job of the touring bike is to carry two people and all their gear for a long trip in comfort.   When it's just Me, I'll ride anything and call it a touring bike.   When there's two of us, you've got to have some seat and legroom, some storage, some power, and some brakes.    And along with that invariably comes the other stuff, because that's how bike companies build them .... !

Generally, not invariably...

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 02:13:53 PM by Tusayan »

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2018, 02:31:49 PM »

Lannis

I think you are made of the same stuff of guys who ride cross country on Shovelhead Harleys or god forbid, a non rubber mount Sportster....In my experience of riding many 650-750 Brit bikes over the years, none were what I call smooth over 60 MPH for any length of time..  But maybe I just hate long rides on bikes....I can't think of a time I went further than 150 miles from home on any bike...
  As you may have read on Brit Bike I'm driving to NYC on Friday to pick up a 79 Triumph 750 I got off Ebay..I'm sorta dreading the trip alone in a pick up truck because of the time behind the wheel...About a 700 mile round trip

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2018, 02:35:41 PM »

Yup, that's a 2016+ XL1200CX Roadster from someone who posts regularly at the ADV Rider forum.

Here's a shot from today actually:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:18:53 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2018, 03:41:38 PM »
Mid set pegs & clearance in a V-twin - just what many of us prefer. I've ridden a mate's Scout - very impressed with the engine & gearing & the saddle, not so much with the suspension (or lack of it) & the forward controls. I like the tall wheels, & it looks like they may be narrow enough to handle gravel. It's supposed to be a street tracker, so it's unlikely the fuel tank would be large. But that's fixable. I'll be interested to see what finally turns up on the shop floor, and hopeful that Indian don't stray too far from the concept. Perhaps the time is right to open up a whole new market for American motorcycles. Hope it gets off the ground.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here