Author Topic: My California 1400 has new map  (Read 6417 times)

Offline Jimijoe

• New Egg
My California 1400 has new map
« on: June 18, 2018, 08:54:18 PM »
Hi all, I just wanted to give e a shout-out & THANKS to Beetle  for sending me a map for my california 1400. I am a computer luddite & still managed to load & unload with the detailed description of how to use the GuzziDiag tools. Just to give e a brief description for someone thinking about trying this out -1).first I sent out for the elec.cables to connect with the laptop. 2) then downloaded  the reader & writer programs. If I can do this anyone can. My bike runs better than ever with a strong pull from 2000rpm to redline. I went for a 60 mile ride in our local mountains & engine ran very smooth & predictable, with lots of power @ all RPMs., Thanks, Beetle, I will report back after I put on a few more miles :thumb:. Well done on tapping into  the 7sm. Thanks for that & for the help with my beginner questions

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
Re: My California 1400 has new map
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 06:14:40 AM »
Hmmm What is the biggest difference you noted so far?
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 06:29:36 AM »
 :thumb: Does it correct the lumpy idle?  He actually flicked me a 14 map a while back but I didn't have a chance to load it. It has since disappeared from my computer for some strange reason.

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 07:04:47 AM »
How does the bike react when you close the throttle at 3,200rpm?  Mine is a real helmet knocker when it suddenly goes stupid lean.  Decelerating anywhere from 3,200 to 2,000rpm sucks.  I'd load a new map to alleviate that issue alone.   

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 07:04:47 AM »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 07:08:35 AM »
How does the bike react when you close the throttle at 3,200rpm?  Mine is a real helmet knocker when it suddenly goes stupid lean.  Decelerating anywhere from 3,200 to 2,000rpm sucks.  I'd load a new map to alleviate that issue alone.   
I haven’t noticed that issue on mine but I haven’t paid no attention to it either. Next ride I will. Are you saying it decellerates to strong?

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 07:28:04 AM »
I haven�t noticed that issue on mine but I haven�t paid no attention to it either. Next ride I will. Are you saying it decellerates to strong?

Yeah.  Stock mapping has the fuel delivery seemingly dropping off a cliff right around 3,000rpm.  That's my impression of what's happening judging by both engine note and the fact my passenger's helmet bounces off mine every time I close the throttle in that rpm range.  It also puts out more heat on my legs in that range and it's not just because I'm going slower.  It feels like it is  radiating more heat regardless of forward speed when I run it at 3,000 vs 4,000.

It could be that the Mistral's on my bike exacerbate the problem or it could be that I'm being the Princess and the Pea but it really seems like the fueling abruptly shuts off.       

Offline Jimijoe

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 10:48:08 AM »
(2014 california1400, with 18,000 miles). Drbone641- Biggest  difference, in my case, was the area below the 3000rpm, as johninvt mentioned, lots of engine braking.  I had a powercommander & had just put the bike on a dyno ($400) a few weeks ago. So the 1400 was running strong, but when I read that the 7sm could be modified, I wanted to try it.I have the GT open pipes & yes the head banging drop off @ 3000 rpm was annoying to me, not the fault of the pipes,  but the  fault of the ECU.    to the point that I would have to keep it in a lower gear, just to keep the revs up, when going down a mountain road.   As far as the lumpy idle, it is still there, but the pull off idle is strong & linear, motor spins like a Swiss watch.  How did I get to this point with my bike? I wanted different pipes when I first bought the 1400. So I had a few bucks & had the fueling done, along with the exhaust. That was a couple years ago & ALL WAS GOOD. But a few weeks ago, while getting a tire changed, I ask the mechanic what he thought about the on & off Jake break,  he said I can put it on the dyno & adjust..the mechanic also persuaded me to lose the lamda sensors, & therefore the autotune, base on the fact that he said the sensors  only lasted a few months on his dyno machine. So then on the dyno he say yea, there are certain things built into the ECU that he could not adjust (a little long winded) but that is how I got here .johninvt- the transition down from 3200rpm is there a little but not nearly as abrupt. The heat is the other thing that I used to feel, big difference there too, both sides feel even, like the same amount of heat (very little heat,  much cooler) .because it's a new map the pc5 is also disconnected. Have only had one ride yesterday & tried both tour & veloce ,  now I am preferring the tour mode more, but I used to alway use Veloce. I can report more after I put on more miles

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 11:18:31 AM »
I'll chime in here too. Mark re-did the map on my MGX due to its excessive popping on decel with the Mistrals.  Popping reduce by about 90%. Bike seems to idle better and the throttle response is even more "right now" than it was before.  MPG is still running around 43. I'm very pleased to say the least.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 02:13:24 PM »
Ok let’s clarify something guys. In regards to this abrupt decell issue, which ECU ridding mode are you operating in, if you are in the sport mode then I suspect it doing exactly what’s its suppose to do, decell hard when throttling down to set up a curve etc. I operate mine in the Touring mode and do not have that issue. Just a theory but I stand corrected by more experienced owners.

Offline Jimijoe

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 02:54:15 PM »
To me, it is not an abrupt decel issue. I'll call it engine braking, like a big truck, going down a hill, & the engine holds you back.   Nothing wrong with that but when it turns on & off, that's where it is annoying       -slowing you down as your @ 4000, 3500, 3250, then 3000 rpms then let's go (as if you pulled the clutch in) on my bike on a long downhill,  around 3000 rpm engine braking would go on & off & on again, very weird on long downhill sweepers

Offline Jimijoe

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 02:58:59 PM »
Ncdan, forgot  you ask what mode. Seems to have stronger eng.braking in veloce, & less in touring but still an on & off condition in either mode

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 04:25:21 PM »
Ncdan, forgot  you ask what mode. Seems to have stronger eng.braking in veloce, & less in touring but still an on & off condition in either mode
👍

Offline Jimijoe

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 06:53:20 PM »
Hey,  just got back from a 90 mile ride, from sea level to 5000 ft , bike runs nice, very happy with the new map. Just

wanted to thro this out there for the 1400 owners. I changed the exhaust to head gaskets & wanted to put on some miles before Posting these. They are a Toyota exhaust gasket, look pretty beefy & have held up so far the one on the right are guzzi oem

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 07:27:19 PM »
Engine braking at 3000 downhill is annoying. Touring mode is all I generally use.
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

pete roper

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 07:31:05 PM »
To me, it is not an abrupt decel issue. I'll call it engine braking, like a big truck, going down a hill, & the engine holds you back.   Nothing wrong with that but when it turns on & off, that's where it is annoying       -slowing you down as your @ 4000, 3500, 3250, then 3000 rpms then let's go (as if you pulled the clutch in) on my bike on a long downhill,  around 3000 rpm engine braking would go on & off & on again, very weird on long downhill sweepers

While I never noticed this on my Cali 14 I spent almost all my time in 'Touring'.

My guess though is that transition to almost a 'Coasting' type situation @ about 3,000 will be related to the RBW system cracking the throttle plate and adding more fuel at that point on a trailing throttle. I'd also hazard a guess that if you're running open pipes the effect will be exacerbated and the system in stock form may find it difficult to cope. Just one more reason not to be noisy. Nobody else wants to hear that shit anyway!

Pete

Offline Jimijoe

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2018, 08:30:20 PM »
Noise is stupid,  but like American of my age 66, I grew up with everything having to be BIGGER & BETTER & louder ect. Ect.even to this day giant groups of people get together just to burn rubber, go fast, & make lots of noise,  I'm not saying it's good or right  .my excuse is I'm a victim of my environment .hell when 350cc Hondas were a big bike we all wanted 750 now a 1400 cc is small compared to a 1900 roadliner all my buds with 500 & 700cc bikes ask why do you like those big bikes, I say , that's how I grew  up, always wanting bigger . I know,  that's not a good excuse

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 08:48:23 PM »
While I never noticed this on my Cali 14 I spent almost all my time in 'Touring'.

My guess though is that transition to almost a 'Coasting' type situation @ about 3,000 will be related to the RBW system cracking the throttle plate and adding more fuel at that point on a trailing throttle. I'd also hazard a guess that if you're running open pipes the effect will be exacerbated and the system in stock form may find it difficult to cope. Just one more reason not to be noisy. Nobody else wants to hear that shit anyway!

Pete
Pete I also use the Touring map and find the power delivery to the rear wheel is smooth and precise as well as very predictable and related.  I did experiment with the sport map and within a
Few miles I could tell it was jerky feelings to me, thrown massive amounts of torqued to the rear wheel that to be honest I see NO need for in normal ridding situations. Hell if anyone wants to race I'll stop the bike and get off and we will have a foot race😜

Offline Jimijoe

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2018, 09:07:44 PM »
Hey Pete, I owe you at least a beer, & a THANK YOU,  for telling me (us) about the swing arm bearings,   you also

delete my account
 diagnosed my clutch  switch from half way  around  the world. I don't know  if loud pipes save anything but if you drive  around so. CAL. .... like to lane split?  Here's another part I came across,  my bud knows how to solder  I think I  paid $35 US for 5 switches

pete roper

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2018, 09:30:07 PM »
Hey Pete, I owe you at least a beer, & a THANK YOU,  for telling me (us) about the swing arm bearings,   you also

delete my account
 diagnosed my clutch  switch from half way  around  the world. I don't know  if loud pipes save anything but if you drive  around so. CAL. .... like to lane split?  Here's another part I came across,  my bud knows how to solder  I think I  paid $35 US for 5 switches

Excellent. The switches are usuriously expensive from Guzzi.

Offline Jimijoe

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 10:30:32 AM »
Here is something else I've tried, for the 1400 fans. People complain about turbulence, I found these fork fangs. @ about $66.us .I had to make my own brackets. No turbulence

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 06:28:30 AM »
Here is something else I've tried, for the 1400 fans. People complain about turbulence, I found these fork fangs. @ about $66.us .I had to make my own brackets. No turbulence

Jim, how about a little more detail as to how adapt those Harley lowers to the Touring 1400. I did the exact same thing to my Calvin and they absolutely worked perfect! Maybe you could send some of us a pattern from poster paper, that would be great!

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 08:44:21 AM »
I wonder if something is different in the MGX than the others?  My bike never leaves veloce mode and I've not noticed any of that decel stuff being talked about.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline Jimijoe

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 10:52:47 AM »
Ncdan, I just slapped this together to see if it worked,  so I haven't taken the time to take it off ,& clean up the bracket. I like it. You need  4 bolts that fit your windshield bracket,  & 4 bolts to attach the 2 fangs. Also need 4 spacers, about 5/8 inch to keep away from fork, the place I'm pointing at. I made  these from some  plastic or lexan I had here (approximately 3/8 thick,) but aluminum would work just fine if it's stiff enough.  ( can cut & drill either material  with wood tools) check the hole spacing with your actual parts

beetle

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 04:09:46 PM »
I wonder if something is different in the MGX than the others?  My bike never leaves veloce mode and I've not noticed any of that decel stuff being talked about.

The MGX has quite a different map to the Touring & Custom. May be the reason.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 09:35:47 PM »
Ncdan, I just slapped this together to see if it worked,  so I haven't taken the time to take it off ,& clean up the bracket. I like it. You need  4 bolts that fit your windshield bracket,  & 4 bolts to attach the 2 fangs. Also need 4 spacers, about 5/8 inch to keep away from fork, the place I'm pointing at. I made  these from some  plastic or lexan I had here (approximately 3/8 thick,) but aluminum would work just fine if it's stiff enough.  ( can cut & drill either material  with wood tools) check the hole spacing with your actual parts

m

Are you using the Harley lowers in conjunction with the OEM plexiglass ones?

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2018, 04:10:06 AM »

The MGX has quite a different map to the Touring & Custom. May be the reason.

It does?  I wonder why.  How is it different? 

beetle

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2018, 04:27:26 AM »
It does?  I wonder why.  How is it different?

Main fuel maps are different. Longer injection pulse widths. Ignition has marginally more advance.  The ride mode torque demand maps are slightly different.

I've not seen one in the flesh, but the stock pipes appear substantially longer in the pics. Most likely the reason.

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2018, 05:18:36 AM »

Main fuel maps are different. Longer injection pulse widths. Ignition has marginally more advance.  The ride mode torque demand maps are slightly different.

I've not seen one in the flesh, but the stock pipes appear substantially longer in the pics. Most likely the reason.

Hmmnn...so how do those changes alter the riding experience?  Sounds like lengthening the pulse widths and torque demand maps  would make Veloce mode less abrupt?  Is the ignition advance in an attempt to extract more power?  Better mileage?  This stuff is fascinating on a certain level. 

beetle

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2018, 05:51:33 AM »
Hmmnn...so how do those changes alter the riding experience?  Sounds like lengthening the pulse widths and torque demand maps  would make Veloce mode less abrupt?  Is the ignition advance in an attempt to extract more power?  Better mileage?  This stuff is fascinating on a certain level.

I think one would need to ride an Audace or Touring back to back with the MGX to answer that. Specs on paper show a fully dressed MGX is 41 pounds heavier than an Audace. Similar or better performance with its lighter siblings was the likely reason for the extra fuel/more advance.

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2018, 06:34:29 AM »

I think one would need to ride an Audace or Touring back to back with the MGX to answer that. Specs on paper show a fully dressed MGX is 41 pounds heavier than an Audace. Similar or better performance with its lighter siblings was the likely reason for the extra fuel/more advance.

So does your map follow some of the MGX protocols or are Custom/Touring/Audace maps so different that it's not feasible? 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here