Author Topic: Any Advice on Wind Noise?  (Read 4897 times)

Offline TobyJug

• Hatchling
Any Advice on Wind Noise?
« on: June 20, 2018, 01:49:51 PM »
Hi

I'm riding a naked V7II and I wear an HJC IS Max II helmet and I'm looking to cut down on the wind noise.  Should I look at a quieter helmet or put a windshield on?  Any helmet or windshield suggestions?

Thanks

Jug
2014 Norge GT 8V

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Any Advice on Wind Noise?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 02:15:18 PM »
ear plugs. take it from a nearly deaf guy  :sad:

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 02:15:56 PM »
Get yourself a pair of custom earplugs made... the kind that are injected into your ear, and take about 15 minutes to make.

Cheapest, best solution. Hands down.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 02:22:07 PM »
Maybe it is just me. I rode for over 12 years on a naked bike, didn't know anything different. Bought my T-3 and rode it naked the first year than put a SP I upper faring and shield on it. My first reaction was to kick my butt 12 times, once for each year I had gone without protection. Much reduced wind pressure on body, quieter, less bugs and debris in face and riding in rain is much more pleasant. But...the effectiveness of screens and helmets varies greatly or to what matches what you are trying to achieve. My 2.5 cents worth.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 02:22:07 PM »

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 02:23:28 PM »
In my experience, windshields generally create a horrendous din by directing all the wind off your chest onto your helmet. In my experience, the only windshield that truly cuts the noise is a tall one that you look through. Short of that, no windscreen at all is better. Just get a nice quiet full face helmet.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 02:27:54 PM »
I wear a Biltwell Gringo... might as well be an open face. Earplugs are essential riding gear for me.

My wife wears a beautiful high end closed-face Shoei... earplugs are essential riding gear for her.

They just make sense, regardless of lid. The custom ones aren't even noticeable when in, compared to anything "off the shelf". Well worth the money.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 02:38:56 PM by Toecutter »

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 02:31:22 PM »
Not always easy to find a quiet helmet that works for you. Different size heads make a huge difference in wind noise.
Earplugs are relatively cheap, and can be used for other loud things.
Lawnmowers, woodchippers, chainsaws.....an angry spouse  :shocked:

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 02:32:06 PM »
Wear earplugs of some type!  I had a nasty ear infection as a preschooler that perforated one eardrum and I've had tinnitus since.  I've no interest in making it worse.   
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 03:02:55 PM »
Wear earplugs of some type!  I had a nasty ear infection as a preschooler that perforated one eardrum and I've had tinnitus since.  I've no interest in making it worse.   

True, thank God for closed captioning on TV

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 03:04:05 PM »
Get yourself a pair of custom earplugs made... the kind that are injected into your ear, and take about 15 minutes to make.

Yep.   You can even get them with a little "waveguide" molded through the middle that lets speaking tones through, but cuts the "SHSHSHSHHHH" of wind noise so you don't lose any more hearing.   You can't get it back.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 03:09:05 PM »
I always carry a few pairs of cheap ear plugs in the tank bag. If I bought a nice custom made pair I'd loose one for sure.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 03:12:39 PM »
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 03:18:54 PM »
If you install a screen dont get one that turns up at the top of the screen. That creates turbulence. That creates noise.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 03:23:59 PM »

Motorcycle Wind Noise?

Ear Plugs!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rss29

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 03:33:10 PM »
Yep.   You can even get them with a little "waveguide" molded through the middle that lets speaking tones through, but cuts the "SHSHSHSHHHH" of wind noise so you don't lose any more hearing.   You can't get it back.

Lannis
I got a pair of these made at a motorcycle show and they are fantastic. The channel allows me to listen to music or talk on the phone but blocks out a good portion of the buzz and drone. The disposable plugs are OK but I find them uncomfortable after a while. The custom ones I can wear all day. I got ones with a cord molded in so they hang around my neck. I was able to specify the colors as well so I went with a red one for the right ear, which makes it easy to identify at a glance. I think they were $150 or so but worth every penny.

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 03:41:48 PM »
Paid $75 Canuck-bucks for mine, got 'em at the Moto-Show. Had them molded in black and dayglo green swirls...easy to find if dropped. As soon as my helmet comes off, they go into their little wallet, and into my pocket.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 04:00:56 PM »
On the V7, I found the OEM screen put the wind at visor level. It's better with either no screen or a small fly screen that just covers the instruments. Rear sets change the effect of the wind on the front again, & for me, it's an improvement. Otherwise, it's ear plugs until you come across a helmet that fits your head so well that wind is no longer a factor - they are out there, I've come across others who've achieved success here, I'm still trying, but it is a long time between experiments. What I have gleaned to date, is that helmet price has little affect on quietness - other factors are at play. For example, the Vozz helmet for some is very quiet, for others it's so noisy to be unbearable, though for most of us, it seems to fall somewhere in between.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Laker

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 04:03:14 PM »

Couldn't agree more. Those custom earplugs go with me on airplanes, to the shooting range, sporting events and anytime I'll be near a bunch of kids. They are fantastic.
Tim Powers
Austin, TX

2013 V7 Special (wife's bike)
2015 Ducati Multistrada S Touring
2015 Piaggio Fly 150
2016 Aprilia Tuono Factory

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 04:09:23 PM »
Like everyone said, butt ear plugs!  Although, some helmets are significantly quieter than others.

Also, a Swanee style windshield from Harpers, pricey, a bit weird looking, but absolutely the best for eliminating wind noise, I could put a baby to sleep behind mine.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:10:21 PM by bad Chad »
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 04:20:43 PM »
As others have stated. Windshield buffeting can be horrible. Direct wind noise with good ear plugs is easy to manage. Windshield buffeting can be hard to fix, and even earplugs may not help. I have a Suwannee on the EV. It has a couple of large holes to fill the back side vacuum space, and isn't too bad. My previous Plexifairings were unmanageable and I'm convinced contributed to the LOUD constant ringing in my ears.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 04:53:14 PM »
Shoei GT Air and ear plugs.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 07:52:25 PM »
+1 on the harpers fairing, only thing that beats it is the MG police fairing on my loop.... quiet as quiet can be :thumb:

Offline TobyJug

• Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2018, 05:01:40 PM »
Thanks folks.  There's some good advice there that probably saved me lots of time and money.  I should have known that I'd get the 'cheapest' solution here.

Jug
2014 Norge GT 8V

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2018, 06:06:50 PM »
Thanks folks.  There's some good advice there that probably saved me lots of time and money.  I should have known that I'd get the 'cheapest' solution here.

Jug

You learn fast Grasshopper. :grin:

I have tinnitus from industrial deafness, when we didn't know about these things. Probably 200,000 miles with an open face helmet on an old English thumper didn't help either. :rolleyes:  I personally use the soft plugs and carry spares in a small pill bottle in my jacket. Essential
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2018, 06:31:04 PM »
I have been wearing foam earplugs for 20 years and there has always been a trade-off between comfort and efficiency.  I found these at Walmart.  Super quiet and very comfortable. 

If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2018, 09:33:43 AM »
I use the 3M EARS brand of earplugs. They have yellow foam on a blue plastic stem. Washable and easy to insert. I bought a 100 pair box on Amazon. They last me a month or more per pair (I ride almost everyday).

I got ones with a cord molded in so they hang around my neck. I was able to specify the colors as well so I went with a red one for the right ear, which makes it easy to identify at a glance.

If the right one was red, that would so confuse me.   :grin:
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2018, 10:27:14 AM »
I wear ear plugs at all times, it's part of my ATGATT.

In fact, you might get some custom made (red one for right ear and black one for left).  I find most of the commercial ear plugs don't work for me except for the yellow foam ones.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 10:38:06 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline rss29

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2018, 10:32:07 AM »
I use the 3M EARS brand of earplugs. They have yellow foam on a blue plastic stem. Washable and easy to insert. I bought a 100 pair box on Amazon. They last me a month or more per pair (I ride almost everyday).

If the right one was red, that would so confuse me.   :grin:
Red for the right ear makes me think of channel markers.

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2018, 05:49:04 PM »
Red for the right ear makes me think of channel markers.

You're thinking of the old "red right return" rhyme to remember which side of the channel markers to be.  Me, it's green or blue  for starboard and red for port. When you have a cockpit full of spaghetti, makes it easier to find the spin guy and sheet.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2018, 06:07:48 PM »
I have been wearing foam earplugs for 20 years and there has always been a trade-off between comfort and efficiency.  I found these at Walmart.  Super quiet and very comfortable. 

Those are the brand I wear.  I have very sensitive hearing (don't tell my wife) so I always wear ear protection when doing anything where there is noise involved.  It is hot here so I want a helmet with a lot of vents which comes with extra wind noise. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here