Author Topic: Moto - Touring Baptism  (Read 3352 times)

Online kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
Moto - Touring Baptism
« on: August 15, 2018, 10:09:13 AM »
twist. YOU are the Baptist.

This is a query designed to cause you the reader to dwell on your favorite roads and rides, and to consider that which is best about motorcycling, brand/bike be damned. 2(3 if driven by a convert motor) wheels and motor is the only requirement.

The premise is that you have a good friend new to the idea of Touring by motorcycle, and they have entrusted their introduction to this lifestyle to you. They own a V7 and are a competent, although not grinding-pegs-on-the-dragon competent, rider.

You have from Friday afternoon to Sunday evening, they're a newb after all.
-Where are you riding? Why? Pics?
-Tent or motel/Airbnb?
-who's on the ride? The two of you or is this going to be a group endeavor.

Looking forward to anecdotes, tips and road recommendations. Photos are always a bonus.

'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline davevv

• Gosling
Re: Moto - Touring Baptism
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 10:33:54 AM »
Northwest Arkansas.
Left to right: my son Andy, his friend Chris, a high school buddy of mine Joe, and me.

Again, left to right: Joe's Sportster, my Super Tenere, Andy's Triumph Tiger 1050, and Chris' Multistrada.

Joe had been with me on a few trips before, but Andy and Chris were both new to motorcycle touring.  The cabin belongs to a friend of Andy's and we had the use of it for a few days, so it was a logical place to go.  Also, that part of Arkansas has beautiful scenery and great motorcycle roads.

The first day after our arrival I took them to the Talimena Parkway and as we headed east from there, the sky was very dark and rainy looking.  Pretty soon I began to notice that more and more of the oncoming traffic had their headlights on and the cars were wet.  So, I pulled over to the side of the road and stopped.  As I was digging in my saddlebags for my rainsuit, everybody asked why I had stopped, so I explained about the condition of the oncoming traffic.  They didn't seem convinced, but did put on their rainsuits anyway.  We didn't get half a mile down the road before it started pouring rain on us.  That second picture was taken about 30 miles further on after the rain had stopped.  I think they learned a little that day.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."--Wyatt Earp
'94 BMW R1100RS, '20 BMW G310GS, 22 BMW F750GS

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 10:46:26 AM »
Holy s**t I didn't know there was a Lum & Abner museum! I gotta go there! Sometimes you can learn some really worthwhile stuff on this forum! Thanks! I do nearly ALL my riding in NW ark & SW Mo. anymore. These guys got sick of my photos a long time ago.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 12:37:06 PM »
I would not do a group ride on a first "touring ride". Living in central Kansas I would probably suggest an in state route in fairly rural areas so not much traffic to deal with or a technically difficult road. That said, I would soon introduce the rider to NW Arkansas.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 12:37:06 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 12:40:21 PM »
 Camp at the Talimena State Park , lead them back and forth on the Talimena DR , two round trips and they will be broken in .

Dusty

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 01:05:00 PM »
Camp at the Talimena State Park , lead them back and forth on the Talimena DR , two round trips and they will be broken in .

Dusty

And wore out. :grin:
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline davevv

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 02:27:44 PM »
I would not do a group ride on a first "touring ride". Living in central Kansas I would probably suggest an in state route in fairly rural areas so not much traffic to deal with or a technically difficult road. That said, I would soon introduce the rider to NW Arkansas.
GliderJohn

Really?  I've ridden with this same bunch of guys almost every Tuesday evening for years and had a pretty good idea of their riding abilities, but two of them had never been on any ride longer than a day trip.  Those Tuesday dinner rides sometimes cover a 100 miles.  How much more would I need to know before I take them to Arkansas?

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 03:44:10 PM »
Holy s**t I didn't know there was a Lum & Abner museum! I gotta go there! Sometimes you can learn some really worthwhile stuff on this forum! Thanks! I do nearly ALL my riding in NW ark & SW Mo. anymore. These guys got sick of my photos a long time ago.

looks like a Talimena ride.

I had to look up L&A.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 03:45:25 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 05:33:05 PM »
Around here? We'd head south, and follow the Ohio river to Madison. Depending on whether he or she likes to camp, there is a nice hotel that looks over the river at Madison.. or camp at Clifty Falls. Take day rides around the river the next day, and then home.
If he/she  :smiley: has a little time, I'd just say wait a few weeks, and go to the Kentucky rally.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 08:06:27 PM »
Me, I would do the obvious living in central Oklahoma.

Friday afternoon we ride about 250 miles to Eureka Springs, spending the night at a hotel there, within walking distance to food and drink establishments.
Saturday ride down to Hot Springs, taking 23 to 74 to 16, then on 7 the rest of the way in. We would get there in plenty of time to check out the park and tourist area of Hot Springs. Again, walking distance to food and drink.
Sunday take 270 West to Mena, then the skyline Drive to Talihina, up 82 to 2 then meander on home on 9.

No long hard days but plenty of scenic and curvy roads. Getting to destinations with plenty of time to explore the local area off the bikes. If folks aren't used to multiple 600 mile days, you don't want to burn them out. Remember, always leave them wanting more!
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 08:25:39 PM »
From davevv:
Really?  I've ridden with this same bunch of guys almost every Tuesday evening for years and had a pretty good idea of their riding abilities, but two of them had never been on any ride longer than a day trip.  Those Tuesday dinner rides sometimes cover a 100 miles.  How much more would I need to know before I take them to Arkansas?
Maybe you have misunderstood where I am coming from. My frame of reference was from a Kansas rider that may have ridden locally quite a bit but has not had, first not much experience other than maybe a regular to and from work rider and has not had any serious curve riding. I have known some flatland riders that had accumulated some decent miles but the first time they encountered SW Missouri and NW Arkansas it was a pucker factor for them. Let them build some general riding confidence first.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline davevv

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 09:57:18 PM »
I definitely agree that there is a learning curve involved when flatlanders get into the mountains on a bike for the first time.  When the four of us ride together, I always end up in the lead.  That's the way they like it, probably because I have a lot more years of riding experience than they do.  So it was pretty easy for me to show them lines and control their speed, and I did take it easy on them the first couple days.  The quickest pace on the trip was on the Talimena as we headed home the last day and there was no Ricky Racer stuff then either.  Just a bit more brisk than we had been doing previously. 

I've always lived in north Texas and it's not Kansas flat, but it's pretty boring when it comes to riding roads, so I'm not the fastest rider in the mountains by any means.  But 57 years of riding with a fair amount of travel have made me a pretty safe rider.  When I visit some of my friends that live in the east Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia area they often run off and leave me because I'm not willing to run their pace in those mountains.  They know those roads and I don't.  I always manage to catch up when they stop though.

Offline Rainrider

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 12:32:14 AM »
Assuming Portland is the starting point for me, Friday night would be a boring slab down I-5 to (considerably less boring) highway 38, and out to my in-laws' place near the mouth of the Umpqua River. Saturday would be Smith River Road up into the hills above Elkton, and then out 138 to camp near Crater Lake or Diamond Lake because (a) I would've been smart and reserved a camp site and (b) I am assuming my friend's V7 is kitted out like mine with side cases and a rear rack. Sunday would be riding around Crater Lake, and then out via 97, then zigzagging back and forth across the Cascades on 58, 126, 22, NF-46, and back in to the Metro area on 224. If time or endurance gets short, there are a few places where I-5 could get us home quickly. And if our backs/butts are sore by Sunday (and this hypothetical friend isn't averse to nekkid hippies), there are several hot springs not far off that route.

Online kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 09:48:43 AM »
I'm really diggin' this thread. Exactly what i'd hoped, maybe with a few more pics. 

I feel like the best riders spent their "immortal" years on bikes. I did not. Those years for me were spent working two jobs, changing diapers and wrenching jalopy cages. Now I've been back on a bike a few years, I'm (more) sensible, and pushing the envelope has a different meaning than when I was a 20 something. I know those pucker moments, yet i really want to continue to grow that skill set. Keeps me eyeballing different, more appropriate bikes, and thinking about rides like the ones you've been describing, with riders with the sensibilities Dave exhibits.

as to NW Arkansas...
I was fortunate to have a gig at 19 where I was driving these United States in a C20 laden with slide/film projectors and a very powerful sound system doing presentations in (mostly) High School assemblies. 47k miles and 41 states in 9 months. It was absolutely awesome. There were some amazing moments, many of them involving roads. And THE most impressed I was over all those miles was coming from Atwood Kansas into Little Rock Arkansas, an overnight sprint as they often were. As the sun came up we (traveled in a team of two) found ourselves in the Ozarks, somewhere southeast of Fayettville. It was October. Yellow leaves covered wet two lane roads and those same leaves still on the trees filtered what light made it through overcast skies. It was surreal. Sublime. We stopped at a roadside joint and had breakfast. Came on two plates. One was the ham 'side' a single piece that easily overhung the entirety of the dinner plate it came on. Grits and eggs and toast. Best breakfast of my life at the point. New England kid travelling the country in a van and having these moments, all on someone else's dime.

Seeing a bunch of you leap to that region as a destination confirms that my memories are not playing games, are not simply the romance of youth skewing the recollection.

Please, keep going. And Guzzistajohn, I never tire of photos.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 09:50:28 AM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 10:12:00 AM »
I definitely agree that there is a learning curve involved when flatlanders get into the mountains on a bike for the first time.  When the four of us ride together, I always end up in the lead.  That's the way they like it, probably because I have a lot more years of riding experience than they do.  So it was pretty easy for me to show them lines and control their speed, and I did take it easy on them the first couple days.  The quickest pace on the trip was on the Talimena as we headed home the last day and there was no Ricky Racer stuff then either.  Just a bit more brisk than we had been doing previously. 

I've always lived in north Texas and it's not Kansas flat, but it's pretty boring when it comes to riding roads, so I'm not the fastest rider in the mountains by any means.  But 57 years of riding with a fair amount of travel have made me a pretty safe rider.  When I visit some of my friends that live in the east Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia area they often run off and leave me because I'm not willing to run their pace in those mountains.  They know those roads and I don't.  I always manage to catch up when they stop though.

actually, there are some pretty nice roads NW of Dallas.  Decatur to St Jo has pretty nice roads with some twists and sweepers.

Then you can cross the Red River on a back road bridge and head up to the Mt Scott.   Then get a Meers Burger.  That's a good day's trip from Big D.

.........of course it doesn't compare to NW Ark, which is where we did the NAR at Harrison back in May.  And we'll do it again.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 10:14:59 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 10:34:12 AM »
looks like a Talimena ride.

I had to look up L&A.

It will be a Talamena ride, they played the ozark mountain jubilee here in Springfield. (Before my time)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 10:38:19 AM »
I'd be nervous taking greenies to ride the ozarks. A few flatlanders were airlifted out of NWA from the rat raid one year. Some of those Arkansas corners will sneak up on 'ya.

oldbike54

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 11:20:48 AM »
I'd be nervous taking greenies to ride the ozarks. A few flatlanders were airlifted out of NWA from the rat raid one year. Some of those Arkansas corners will sneak up on 'ya.

Remember the tale Bullit Bob told about the guy from Ark City KS who crashed a borrowed Harley on every other curve in NWA ?

Arkansas can be great , old Highway 71 from Alma to Fayettville is a hoot now that I 49 carries all of the truck and commuter traffic . The only flaw-in-the-slaw has been created by the explosive growth in NWA over the last 40 years , the traffic can be a nightmare . That's why I prefer the Ouchita mountains in Oklahoma and Arkansas , you can ride for a hundred miles and not encounter more than a few cars . Plus , Oklahoma has a higher speed limit on 2 lane roads than does Arkansas,  we all got pulled over for doing 70 MPH coming out of Murfreesboro AR , likely that same speed wouldn't have even caught the attention of an Okie State Trooper  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 12:18:22 PM »
Got one planned for early November.

My oldest brother and me, him a couple of years of local riding on a V-Strom 650, will be his first "trip".  Friday to Sunday from Austin west to Hill Country and back.  Two nights in local motels, keep the packing to a minimum.  Whole trip will be ~1000 miles for him, ~1500 for me.  The focus will be on riding - stops are usually for gas and food, not sight seeing or photos.

We ride at a similar spirited pace and got Sena headsets this year - it's great to have the intercom to clarify directions, etc. but neither of us are real chatty.

Looking forward to finally getting to the Three Sisters and spending some quality time with my brother.

Tom
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 12:46:11 PM »
We're leaving home, heading south... crossing through the Alberta Badlands, and on through Banff (probably head up to Rocky Mountain House, and then over to Lake Louise, instead of pounding through Calgary to Banff) on our way through Southern B.C. to  Vancouver Island. On the way back, probably take the ferry to Washington, and take the "Going-to-the-Sun" back.

We're camping the entire way, great spots all through that route... especially fantastic motorcycle-friendly sites in Canal Flats and Fort Steele, plus the Fireside Restaurant in Canal Flats is 100% amazing road food.

Probably stay at the "Hotel Zed" in Victoria, because it's fantastic, and by that time would require a shower and a real toilet. Then camp all the way back.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 12:50:15 PM by Toecutter »
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2018, 01:10:10 PM »

I was at that Rally.  Probably on my Bandit.  I think it was 5 riders down and to the ER with 4 of them airlifted.  One group went down trying to keep up with Gerald Tims of Seaba Station fame. 

The Greenie has been to Ark at least a half dozen times.  Last time when I met ya at Low Gap diner.  Oh wait, you didn't mean green motorcycles, you meant green riders? 

Ride your own ride, don't go faster than you can see.
John L 

Offline Rainrider

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2018, 01:53:10 PM »
On the way back, probably take the ferry to Washington, and take the "Going-to-the-Sun" back.

Highway 12 over Lolo Pass would be a great component of this route.

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2018, 03:09:53 PM »
I love riding the Blue Ridge Parkway in Western NC.  I try to get there a couple of times a year.  I wouldn't call the riding I do there "touring" per se, but I love to take people there for a new experience.  A few years back, a buddy of mine from Indy went with me, and he was falling so far behind.  I slowed to allow him to catch up and asked him what was wrong at a pulloff.  He was freaking out.  Although he told me he had ridding there before, it was evident to me that he had not.  I don't consider the BRP too terribly technical with a maximum speed limit of 45mph, but looking the wrong way can get you into trouble.  Just got back from there a little over a week ago and had to handle my buddy's XS650 for him after a crash on the BRP.  This guy is no novice rider, but he may have pushed his 40 year old machine a bit too far.  Couple of pics from the trip.

Speed and Glory!  My buddy and his crashed XS650 on the BRP.  He's ok, btw.

Shameless pic of my Triumph Thunderbird Sport!

Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline hidn45

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2018, 03:59:21 PM »
US Route 6 in Pennsylvania is a nice piece of road, & Wellsboro, PA, (home of the "PA Grand Canyon") would be a great place to stay for a couple days & sample the roads in the Endless Mountains.  But don't take my word for it - ask the BMW folks who were there for the National Rally in July....

Lots of nice accommodations, no matter how you like to stay, & lots of nice roads, no matter how you like to ride....
Y2K Bassa - "Benedetta" (sold)
1986 Cali II - "Moose"
1977 T-3 [formerly FB] - name TBD

MGNOC member # 22,000

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2018, 04:21:44 PM »
  I don't consider the BRP too terribly technical with a maximum speed limit of 45mph

:smiley: :smiley: Maybe even boring? The roads leading up and down to the BRP are pretty good, though. Most flatlanders are totally clueless about going around a corner, though. BTDT..we never get a chance to learn if we stay in the Midwest.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2018, 04:57:05 PM »
You're right, Chuck.  Many great roads in and around Western NC, but I find myself going back to the BRP every time.  That's probably because I tend to stay in an area where there are a couple of places to jump on to take us to so many of those great roads.  You must be a real road burner to call it boring!  :evil:  You know what we've got around here.  I will be heading to Northwestern and North Central PA in late September, hidn45.  First time up there.  Will be doing some dual sport fire road riding on my TW and also some road riding to carve the canyon you speak of on my S2 Thunderbolt.  Can't wait!
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2018, 05:05:46 PM »

When a new ridding buddy ask "what does setting a curve up mean"  take him or her back home, 😂
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 05:07:58 PM by Ncdan »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2018, 05:09:46 PM »
You're right, Chuck.  Many great roads in and around Western NC, but I find myself going back to the BRP every time.  That's probably because I tend to stay in an area where there are a couple of places to jump on to take us to so many of those great roads.  You must be a real road burner to call it boring!  :evil:  You know what we've got around here.  I will be heading to Northwestern and North Central PA in late September, hidn45.  First time up there.  Will be doing some dual sport fire road riding on my TW and also some road riding to carve the canyon you speak of on my S2 Thunderbolt.  Can't wait!

there's some nice roads in Southern Indiana.  I think I rode through the town where Bill Monroe was from.
John L 

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2018, 05:12:40 PM »
You must be a real road burner to call it boring!  :evil:
No I'm no road burner. I *like* the BRP, it's beautiful. 2017-06-04_01-35-26 by Charles Stottlemyer, on Flickr
Dorcia says, "It's like a ballet. Gentle slow turns."  Challenging? No. Not at 45-50.  :grin: It runs along the spine of the mountains, and there aren't many elevation changes. The roads leading up and down to it are considerably more challenging.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline hidn45

• Gosling
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2018, 08:41:22 PM »
Brother Jim - you'll have a ball!  That country was made for just that sort of thing...
Y2K Bassa - "Benedetta" (sold)
1986 Cali II - "Moose"
1977 T-3 [formerly FB] - name TBD

MGNOC member # 22,000

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here