Author Topic: 2016 Eldorado, As Frustrating as it is Beautiful  (Read 8858 times)

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
2016 Eldorado, As Frustrating as it is Beautiful
« on: August 16, 2018, 12:25:43 AM »
I've been a B to B manufacturers rep for a long time. I greatly enjoy what I do. Though I can't imagine being a manufacturer rep for the Piaggio Group, Moto Guzzi line. I bought my first Moto Guzzi in 1977. It was a silver 1976 Convert with a Vetter fairing. I love the Converts and had three of them over the years. But I've been a fan of the Moto Guzzi brand since that first Convert in 1977.

Anyway, about a month and a half ago I started looking around at current Guzzi offerings in the 1400 line. I've followed them somewhat remotely through magazines, websites and internet forums since 2012/2013 when the 1400 was first coming out. In the 1400 line, the Eldorado is, to me, 'the one'. I first saw it up close at RPM in Dallas several weeks ago. I thought the designer did a great job with the bones he had to work with. In addition to the aesthetics, the ergonomics of the seat, handlebars and floorboards on the Eldo seem best suited to me. Especially good looking to me is the Eldorado in black and red. For me it's like the EV and the Bassa. I thought the EV was aesthetically a bit awkward looking. And that awkwardness was smoothed over with the Bassa fenders and rear tail light. Others must have agreed since the later EV's used those items from the Bassa/California Special to finish out the EV Touring line.

I've been to five Guzzi dealers so far. Only two of the five had an Eldorado in stock. But only one of them, RPM, had the bike prepped so it could be ridden. The three dealers without an Eldorado (or much of any 1400) in stock all said "they sell well when we have them on the floor.". To which the obvious question was "Then why don't you keep them on the floor"? Only one of the five had a clue about Eldorado accessories or even if the CA Touring windshield, driving lights or the heated grips would fit on the Eldorado. I should be back in Dallas next month and will take RPM up their offer for an extended demo ride. Their version of extended is all the way home to Chattanooga, TN. My version is about 30 minutes in varying traffic conditions.

My heart says: buy that beautiful motorcycle. Then my head reminds me of the somewhat spotty dealer network, the limited factory accessory list, the even more limited after market support and how to price a 3 model year old brand new Moto Guzzi. The Eldorado couldn't replace my Victory Cross Country Tour due to the Vic's luggage and two up capabilities. Therefore I'd really have to justify a second one up motorcycle. I really do love the Victory in any riding condition I've ever been in with it so it's difficult to justify a second bike.

So, as has been discussed at length on Wildguzzi for many years; what's Piaggio to do with Moto Guzzi? From my sample of 5 dealers, 4 of them need to know about the bikes. I'm thrilled Piaggio has done all they have with Moto Guzzi. The V7 and now the V9 lines seem well rounded. From a manufacturing standpoint, it's very difficult to justify utilizing somewhat limited R&D resources without a reasonable expectation of a 2 or 3 year return on that investment. I don't mean that as Piaggio has limited R&D resources. But that they likely have to charge the cost of R&D to a specific division and model line. Piaggio has clearly been putting money into the Guzzi line for a while now.

I 'was' hoping the Eldorado would be further developed into maybe a 'touring' version. Though an Internet search turns up nearly a dozen Eldorados currently at dealers around the country. The exact number could be a bit higher. They're priced anywhere from $11,600 to $16,800. Obviously the OTD prices would all need to be verified. Plus the Piaggio warehouse seems to still have Eldos available. So I've now mostly given up hope of an Eldorado touring version. Yes, I know the CA Touring saddlebags can be mounted to an Eldorado and that Guzzi and Hepco Becker have saddlebag options available.

Decisons, decisions. Yes, no or not now are really the only options.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: 2016 Eldorado, As Frustrating as it is Beautiful
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 06:43:02 AM »
You keep going back and looking at them and one will be sitting beside that Victory and when wife's not ridding,  the Goose will be your choice for the day. Just my two cents;)

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 07:36:18 AM »
Mark, here are my thoughts.  There is no bike that compares to your cross country tour in all the things you desire in motorcycle transportation.  Victory is not made anymore and there is no replacement for your bike in the future.  Why not add the Eldorado to the stable and use it to ride the fine roads on Lookout mountain and signal mountain and save the Victory for the two up riding and touring?

I love my Road Glide Special and can ride it anywhere, but the V7 is just a blast to ride the narrow curvy roads near my house plus I love looking at it when I walk into my shop. 

The Eldorado looks like a bike that you can not only enjoy owning and riding, but enjoy showing off.  What aftermarket accessories do you need that you can't get? 

I bought my Vulcan Voyager in 2010 which was the 2nd year and I was able to add everything I wanted from Kawasaki and the limited aftermarket.

Harley has a huge aftermarket support and I haven't dropped one penny on anything from the aftermarket because I negotiated a 30% discount on all the Harley accessories I wanted to add to my Road Glide Special.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 08:19:48 AM »
I certainly understand that the dealer situation gives pause. Cadre in Cincinnati, Blue Ash, actually is half the distance that RPM is. While I don't know that they have a Eldo on hand, they have had a 1400 right along, and are crazy responsive/service oriented. I've dealt with them on parts and have been witness to remarkable service to others. I hope they're under consideration.

I'm led to believe he has a 2016 NOS Eldo (Black) on the floor right now, as well as an Audace (the Most Victory of the 1400 line, if I may suggest such a thing), and is looking to move them.

do eeet.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 08:49:13 AM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 08:19:48 AM »

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 10:06:36 AM »
 :thumb: +1 On kid smoke
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 10:21:36 AM »
I'd like to see a little bit more from the 1400 series as well.  Certainly agree the Eldo needs a touring package with hard bags and trunk.

I'd like to see a standard/sport 1400 with mid-mounts myself. 

Lots of potential. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 05:52:50 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Yeahoo Whoyah

• Gaggle Hero
  • 1971 LAPD Ambassador - 1976 Convert
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 01:53:44 PM »
I love the Converts and had three of them over the years.

Instead of a new Eldorado, get another Convert?  :thumb:
Greg Tillitson
El Dorado Hills Calif.

Online Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 03:58:40 PM »
I feel your pain. I wish there would be more dealers. I'd venture to say some non MG dealers wouldn't mind carrying the brand if they didn't hear all of the horror stories of dealing with Italy, Piaggio, slow boats, etc.  Heck, I found out about a recall on the MGX usb port on the internet, called the dealer and they had absolutely no clue about it.  This is wrong. The dealers should be the first to know about things like that.  Sad situation, and I've been saying it for years...when enough dealers have had "enough", they'll pull up stakes and there will no more MG-USA.  They'd better get their crap together if they really want to be competitive.

But on the other hand, they are a small company that still builds their motorcycles by hand, one at a time and I'd venture to say the USA doesn't get as many bikes as other countries.

The old adage still applies I reckon...Moto Guzzi - Going out of business since 1921.

Luckily, they are very easy to work on for the most part, and extremely reliable.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

elvisboy77

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 05:41:46 PM »
I've been a B to B manufacturers rep for a long time. I greatly enjoy what I do. Though I can't imagine being a manufacturer rep for the Piaggio Group, Moto Guzzi line. I bought my first Moto Guzzi in 1977. It was a silver 1976 Convert with a Vetter fairing. I love the Converts and had three of them over the years. But I've been a fan of the Moto Guzzi brand since that first Convert in 1977.

Anyway, about a month and a half ago I started looking around at current Guzzi offerings in the 1400 line. I've followed them somewhat remotely through magazines, websites and internet forums since 2012/2013 when the 1400 was first coming out. In the 1400 line, the Eldorado is, to me, 'the one'. I first saw it up close at RPM in Dallas several weeks ago. I thought the designer did a great job with the bones he had to work with. In addition to the aesthetics, the ergonomics of the seat, handlebars and floorboards on the Eldo seem best suited to me. Especially good looking to me is the Eldorado in black and red. For me it's like the EV and the Bassa. I thought the EV was aesthetically a bit awkward looking. And that awkwardness was smoothed over with the Bassa fenders and rear tail light. Others must have agreed since the later EV's used those items from the Bassa/California Special to finish out the EV Touring line.

I've been to five Guzzi dealers so far. Only two of the five had an Eldorado in stock. But only one of them, RPM, had the bike prepped so it could be ridden. The three dealers without an Eldorado (or much of any 1400) in stock all said "they sell well when we have them on the floor.". To which the obvious question was "Then why don't you keep them on the floor"? Only one of the five had a clue about Eldorado accessories or even if the CA Touring windshield, driving lights or the heated grips would fit on the Eldorado. I should be back in Dallas next month and will take RPM up their offer for an extended demo ride. Their version of extended is all the way home to Chattanooga, TN. My version is about 30 minutes in varying traffic conditions.

My heart says: buy that beautiful motorcycle. Then my head reminds me of the somewhat spotty dealer network, the limited factory accessory list, the even more limited after market support and how to price a 3 model year old brand new Moto Guzzi. The Eldorado couldn't replace my Victory Cross Country Tour due to the Vic's luggage and two up capabilities. Therefore I'd really have to justify a second one up motorcycle. I really do love the Victory in any riding condition I've ever been in with it so it's difficult to justify a second bike.

So, as has been discussed at length on Wildguzzi for many years; what's Piaggio to do with Moto Guzzi? From my sample of 5 dealers, 4 of them need to know about the bikes. I'm thrilled Piaggio has done all they have with Moto Guzzi. The V7 and now the V9 lines seem well rounded. From a manufacturing standpoint, it's very difficult to justify utilizing somewhat limited R&D resources without a reasonable expectation of a 2 or 3 year return on that investment. I don't mean that as Piaggio has limited R&D resources. But that they likely have to charge the cost of R&D to a specific division and model line. Piaggio has clearly been putting money into the Guzzi line for a while now.

I 'was' hoping the Eldorado would be further developed into maybe a 'touring' version. Though an Internet search turns up nearly a dozen Eldorados currently at dealers around the country. The exact number could be a bit higher. They're priced anywhere from $11,600 to $16,800. Obviously the OTD prices would all need to be verified. Plus the Piaggio warehouse seems to still have Eldos available. So I've now mostly given up hope of an Eldorado touring version. Yes, I know the CA Touring saddlebags can be mounted to an Eldorado and that Guzzi and Hepco Becker have saddlebag options available.

I've owned a lot of Guzzis since the early 80's and the 1400 Eldorado in my garage is the best of the bunch.  It's a great bike that has been trouble free.

I did not worry about the fact that the nearest dealer was 2-1/2 hours away and new to the Guzzi fold.  I have learned over the years that Guzzi seems to be a niche product and always will be that.  As I have told lots of folks over the years, if you want local service and parts, by a Harley or Japanese bike.  I suppose setting your expectations correctly is an important part of a motorcycle purchase.  For me, I made the right decision but the things you are worried about - dealer support, proximity, accessories, etc etc are something that a Harley or Honda rider should expect, not Guzzi.  In spite of that I choose Guzzi time and again, because they are WORTH IT.

Good luck with your decision.

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
  • Former Guzzi, current Beemer & Harley
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 08:12:04 PM »
I'd like to see a little bit more from the 1400 series as well.  Certainly agree the Eldo needs a touring package with hard bags and trunk.

I'd like to see a standard/sport 1400 with mid-mounts myself. 

Lots of potential.

I love the Eldo.  My dealer has a few years old one for sale that has been a demo.  I've never seen a red one in the flesh (Thank god!) otherwise I'd probably own one.  I think the bike would be great with a solo or Police  :copcar: saddle and a luggage rack instead of a pillion.  The softbags look nice but for the price they should be rigid and waterproof.  It really needs a package with windscreen & heated grips!  I just wish the fenders were steel.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 08:13:42 PM by oilhed »
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 09:41:17 AM »
Just thought I'd leave this here.

'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 12:15:41 PM »
Just thought I'd leave this here.

She is a beauty!  I would love to see a ride comparison between this and the new 1200 Bonneville cruiser. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

ff73148

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 07:39:55 PM »
Mark,
I understand your pain. I own a 2013 Goldwing F6B. Which serves as a long distance two up. I did own a 2016 Triumph T120. I've owned many bikes in my life and I always purchased a bike based on need and riding style. I'm 70 now and riding a 500 lb. T120 on NJ roads was hurting me. So I was searching for a one up ride that was around the 700 lb. mark that could give me the comfort and performance that I wanted. One test ride on the Eldorado was all I needed. I purchased it in 2017 for $13,000 as a one year leftover.
I agree that Piaggio does not understand the USA market. They obviously are trying to build the brand with the V7 line. Just like Triumph did with the Bonneville. If you love the Eldorado, buy it and forget about Piaggio. Plus you will get a great deal. 

Offline grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 07:56:01 PM »
Well maybe consider this beautiful white CalVin instead of that '16 Eldorado...  http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=96515.0

All ready to roll and really all things considered, a good buy at the price he is asking for it...despite that it hasn't sold yet, a very nice bike...
'22 Royal Enfield Int650
'08 Triumph Bonneville T100

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 08:10:02 PM »
I don't think Mark wants a motorcycle with less than a 100 hp and associated torque.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2018, 09:06:24 AM »
I don't think Mark wants a motorcycle with less than a 100 hp and associated torque.
I was thinking that if Mark was unsatisfied with the 1400, the 1100 would be even further from the "mark".
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2018, 10:34:42 AM »
I've had the privilege of hanging out with Mark in the flesh and I can attest that when it comes to his motorcycle, the man LOVES HORSE POWER!!!😂

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2018, 12:18:05 PM »
I certainly understand that the dealer situation gives pause. Cadre in Cincinnati, Blue Ash, actually is half the distance that RPM is. While I don't know that they have a Eldo on hand, they have had a 1400 right along, and are crazy responsive/service oriented. I've dealt with them on parts and have been witness to remarkable service to others. I hope they're under consideration.

I'm led to believe he has a 2016 NOS Eldo (Black) on the floor right now, as well as an Audace (the Most Victory of the 1400 line, if I may suggest such a thing), and is looking to move them.

do eeet.

What Kip sez. For sure, if I were in the market, I'd be heading to talk to Enzo. Tell him we sent ya.. :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Lcarlson

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2018, 02:23:49 PM »

Then he won’t want the Eldo. 96 hp.

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2018, 08:47:57 PM »
I would absolutely love to have the black & red Eldo modified with mufflers so it sounds like an air/oil cooled V-Twin, the CA Touring windshield, CA Touring driving lights and the passenger backrest/luggage rack as shown in the old Guzzi show video. Apparently that passenger backrest/luggage rack combo could be coming out through an alternate source. Anyway, an Eldorado, or literally any Moto Guzzi is simply not going to happen at this point. Try as I did over the last couple of months to talk to my wife about it, she is in no way what so ever on board. Certainly not with having a Moto Guzzi, any Moto Guzzi in our garage. We've only been married for 32 years and we fully intend to go another 32 and many more after that. So, I know when to say when as I value a healthy relationship with her more than just about anything. The Moto Guzzi signs will however, remain hanging on the garage wall.

elvisboy77

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2018, 09:16:16 PM »
I would absolutely love to have the black & red Eldo modified with mufflers so it sounds like an air/oil cooled V-Twin, the CA Touring windshield, CA Touring driving lights and the passenger backrest/luggage rack as shown in the old Guzzi show video. Apparently that passenger backrest/luggage rack combo could be coming out through an alternate source. Anyway, an Eldorado, or literally any Moto Guzzi is simply not going to happen at this point. Try as I did over the last couple of months to talk to my wife about it, she is in no way what so ever on board. Certainly not with having a Moto Guzzi, any Moto Guzzi in our garage. We've only been married for 32 years and we fully intend to go another 32 and many more after that. So, I know when to say when as I value a healthy relationship with her more than just about anything. The Moto Guzzi signs will however, remain hanging on the garage wall.

You made the best motorcycle decision there is.  Well done, sir.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 09:31:41 PM »
Is selling the Victory an option and replacing it with the goose set up for touring?

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 09:49:11 PM »
NCDan,

No sir, selling or trading away the Victory is most definitely, not on the table or a even consideration of any kind.

PS - I just sent you a PM.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 10:07:49 PM by TN Mark »

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2018, 10:08:04 PM »
 :thumb: +1 on TN Mark
inditx

This is the day.....

bpreynolds

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2018, 06:06:46 AM »

Hey Mark, good luck with your search.  Of the very fine 1400 line, in truth the Eldo is the only one of those that appeals to me visually.  I think Guzzi likely and understandably figures their 1400 Touring is the "touring" bike in that range, so I'm not sure whether Guzzi would ever develop the Eldo's touring end much since there sits the Cali Touring probably right across the floor, also unsold, from it. 

For the 14 or so years I've owned my 11 different Geese, I've just accepted that dealers will be far and few, and then the lot of them will know little specifically about the bikes.  But then I find this is no different from pretty much any dealer.  Go ask your local mega dealer if the Kawi Z900 has tubeless tires and the 19 year old salesman will likely have to run for consultation.  Enzo and the guys in Cincy know their bikes and if you're going to buy, they are a great option. 

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2018, 06:24:41 AM »

My wife and I have our hobby budgets.  x amount of money goes into each budget every pay period and we get to spend that as we please without any comments.  We will be married 33 years in a couple weeks.  Every couple has to figure out what works for them.  Now any purchases that are outside of our hobby that affect the household budget are discussed and compromises made. 

Why not buy a 25 year old or older Guzzi and then you can put a vintage one time only plate on it and cheap insurance.  Then you have a Guzzi that you can work on and ride sparingly when you want to do the urban ride into Chattanooga and have the local hipsters and old guys admire your ride.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
  • Former Guzzi, current Beemer & Harley
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2018, 09:17:14 AM »

My wife doesn't ride with me and barely listens when I talk motorcycles but every time I mention a new Guzzi she says, "don't you remember the one you bought when we were first married?" in the 80's!
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2018, 09:30:13 AM »
I wouldn't describe having a spouse dictate what motorcycles can or can't be in the garage a"healthy relationship "! 😎
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2018, 02:33:33 PM »

I've been to five Guzzi dealers so far. 

Only one of the five had a clue about Eldorado accessories or even if the CA Touring windshield, driving lights or the heated grips would fit on the Eldorado. 

My heart says: buy that beautiful motorcycle. Then my head reminds me of the somewhat spotty dealer network, the limited factory accessory list, the even more limited after market support and how to price a 3 model year old brand new Moto Guzzi. 

Guzzis are super low volume motorcycles, even for Guzzi specific dealers.  Nothing new, here.  The staff at the shops can't know what they can't know.  They're not selling enough bikes to sell enough accessories to know what's what.  That's what we Guzzisti have the internet for.

There are many accessories available for the Cal 14s, and things like seats, driving lights, and windshields cross over sub-model to sub-model.

Guzzis require owner involvement.  You have to do the research.  You have to use AF1racing, and Agostini's, and MotoMachines, and all the other sources out there to get the bits and pieces you want to slather on your new Moto Guzzi.  Everything you want is a credit card and a UPS/DHL truck ride away from your front porch.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 02:57:26 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Litre1000

• Hatchling
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2018, 07:56:31 PM »
NCDan,

No sir, selling or trading away the Victory is most definitely, not on the table or a even consideration of any kind.

PS - I just sent you a PM.
I could NEVER sell my Victorys. I don’t mind adding bikes to the harem. But never sell the Vics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here