Author Topic: Norge 1200 exhaust valve issues  (Read 15170 times)

Online mrv

• Hatchling
Norge 1200 exhaust valve issues
« on: September 28, 2018, 07:55:41 AM »
I have had my 2012 Norge 1200 for two and a half weeks now. I bought it with 26000 miles on it and everything seemed fine with it until I rode it a couple of days and the valve noise on the left cylinder kept getting louder. After that first week of riding I checked the valves and found the exhaust was way out of tolerance. I checked and adjusted both cylinders (only the left was out, and the engine was cold) It has been a week and I had to adjust the exhaust on the left cylinder again last night. I checked all of the bolts and everything is at proper torque. So I am at a loss as to why the exhaust would get loose again after only a week. I really hope it is not something deeper in the engine that might be causing this issue so I am reaching out to those who have more experience with Guzzi's.

Offline Rebochi

• Hatchling
Re: Norge 1200 exhaust valve issues
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 07:58:40 AM »
Flat tappet failing, needs rollerized
1200 GS
1200 Sport
1100 Griso
2003 Rosso Corsa
Ducati Multistrada
Indian FTR 1200

Online mrv

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 08:02:40 AM »
So are you saying I need to replace the cam?

Offline Rebochi

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 08:06:31 AM »
   Replace the cams and replace the flat tappets with the roller tappets. there is a kit available for this from Guzzi. Did you get a great deal on the Norge?
1200 GS
1200 Sport
1100 Griso
2003 Rosso Corsa
Ducati Multistrada
Indian FTR 1200

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 08:06:31 AM »

Online mrv

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 09:15:01 AM »
I thought I got a great deal on it, dealer gave me an even trade for my 2010 Tiger 1050 for it. But sounds like it is going to cost me more than the bike is worth.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 09:30:32 AM »
I hope it wasn't a Guzzi dealer who sold it to you, if it was and they didn't make you aware of the flat tappet issue they need to fix it.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 10:08:28 AM »
Full list for Kit $1200.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

pete roper

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 10:24:46 AM »

They all do it.

Online mrv

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 10:37:53 AM »
It was a Triumph/ Ducati/ BMW dealer

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 10:40:02 AM »
Full list for Kit $1200.

And a typical labor cost if the OP can't do the work himself?

pete roper

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 10:44:36 AM »
Does the bike have a full service history? If so you might get lucky if you take it to a Guzzi dealer who knows what they're doing as there is/was a Byzantine process you could go through to claim a kit from Piaggio but the factory will do their damndest to wriggle out of responsibility.

At least a 2012 is easy to rollerise. You'll need an 'A' kit. Four hours labour should cover it.

Pete

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 12:43:38 PM »
  And a typical labor cost if the OP can't do the work himself?
4hrs book time, if they want more go elsewhere.
I can install if you want it done.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 01:32:36 PM by guzzisteve »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 01:40:41 PM »
Jeez mate I feel damn sorry for you, (not that it helps...)
The issue of flat tappets on early 8 valvers is well documented here, but given that this is the hand you've been dealt, follow the advice from the guys that know (or preferably the guy that knows) to the letter, and if he says the innards need to come out and be washed, just take a deep breath and do it..
Hopefully the word will be to flush the oil regularly, do the roller thing along with the usual maintenance checks regarding grease etc..
I'd be encouraged by the fact that you will then have a phenomenally good bike by the opinion of those that know best, 8 valvers are fantastic by all accounts, (I don't have one..)
Read every damn thing you can that's been written here by Roper and do not believe any dissenting arguments.
Pleas don't hate her..(the bike, that is..)
You will "enjoy" the journey of bringing your beautiful bike to good health and I'd like to follow your story.
Don't despair mate all is not lost, but I think you'll be advised not to run her any more in current condition of  rootedness, or you'll circulate the shit through your beautiful motor and shag it terminally.
Three words in conclusion.
LISTEN TO ROPER...!
three more
AND GUZZI STEVE..!
 three more
Got a photo...?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 04:20:56 PM by Huzo »

Online mrv

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 01:45:27 PM »
Is there a part number for the kit in case Piaggio will not send me one?

Online mrv

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 02:41:29 PM »
I believe I have located the part number 1A002060. Hopefully I can locate one for sale.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"

pete roper

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 03:40:33 PM »
I have an 'A' kitin stock but it wouldn't be economically viable to send it to you. Buy a sump gasket as well as dropping the sump for a clean out is wise. Risk of further damage is dependent on how far the degradation has been allowed to progress.

Pete

Online mrv

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 03:47:58 PM »
Hopefully the damage will be up top only. But I still have to ride home tonight.
I thank everyone who has responded to.

pete roper

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 04:15:59 PM »
Don't even start it again til it's fixed. It can be the difference between saving the motor and loosing it. Trailer it.

Pete

Online mrv

• Hatchling
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2018, 07:52:09 AM »
I have tried several times to contact Piaggio via their web page with no luck. I contacted the closest Guzzi dealer to me for their help. Hopefully they can help acquire the replacement kit without me being out of pocket the $1000-1200.

pete roper

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2018, 12:33:45 PM »
You have to take the bike to them, allow them to strip it and take pictures of the damage and various identifying factors which have to be submitted to Piaggio for consideration. You will also need a full service history in the book or receipts showing dates and mileage's of all work performed on the machine.

Online mrv

• Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2018, 11:45:30 AM »
Sounds like an expensive endeavor just a document and submit the information without a guarantee that Piaggio will even issue the parts. Think I might just replace the flat tappets since the first lasted around 20000 + miles.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2018, 11:54:31 AM »
Sounds like an expensive endeavor just a document and submit the information without a guarantee that Piaggio will even issue the parts. Think I might just replace the flat tappets since the first lasted around 20000 + miles.

I think that is a very bad idea.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2018, 01:34:58 PM »

I'll second the bad idea.

Go back up and look at the pic Pete posted. See all the shiny part? It should all be black. Yours is likely some degree of that. If you pull it apart enough to inspect that, you are far along to simply doing it right and be done with it. Furthermore, where do you think that DLC coating has gone as it has worn off the surface? How long do you think you can keep putting wear particles through your engine before you damage the bottom end? 

You're not doing yourself any favors by putting your head in the sand. Pete knows what he is talking about. Many of us, including me, have had to deal with this issue.

John Henry
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 01:35:49 PM by Zoom Zoom »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2018, 01:54:45 PM »
Plan on getting $2K less w/you sell it.
I would let the dealer do inspection if you get free parts, I'll bet you can't find new flat tappets.

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2018, 02:23:10 PM »
What everyone is saying is that you just can't shortcut this. Without doing the proper swap you are sitting on a reliability time bomb. Sorry, but with 20K+ miles that yours has on it I would not pay more that body work parts prices for the bike unless the proper swap has been documented being done like yesterday.
I had mine done at 12K and it was showing wear. For whatever reasons I could not get help from Guzzi but felt I had no choice but to have it done. At least I have peace of mind now and the bike continues to be a great tourer.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online mrv

• Hatchling
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2018, 03:12:58 PM »
I have a strong feeling there is no service records on the bike, but I am still investigating

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2018, 04:19:13 PM »
Are the service records required in the states? I know in some countries, automotive service has to be done by the dealer to keep warranty in effect.. but as far as I know, not here.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

pete roper

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2018, 04:52:43 PM »

This won't work because the cams will be compromised.

Look, I sympathise with your plight but fifteen minutes of research prior to purchase would of revealed the necessity of finding out whether or not the machine was a roller or flat tappet model. This problem has been known, if not understood, for years.

You basically have two or three choices. You can try and get your money back from the dealer. You can pursue satisfaction through Piaggio. You can suck it up, accept you were stiffed by the dealer and just get it done, chances are you will end up with a wonderful machine. Or you can on-sell it, hopefully with full disclosure otherwise it lowers you to the same level of bastardry as the place that sold it to you.

Sorry, there are no cheap or easy ways out. Bite the bullet and rollerise it.

As I said you will need to look at and grease the swingarm bearings as well. There are what the ones I pulled out of a 1200 Sport yesterday looked like.

Get to them early and this won't occur.

Pete

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2018, 06:26:22 PM »
<sigh> What Pete sez.
The 4V problem is a well known issue.. I'm not happy about it.. we, collectively are not happy about it.. but it is what it is.  :sad:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here