Author Topic: RPM out of the Guzzi business.  (Read 4428 times)

canuck750

Re: RPM out of the Guzzi business.
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2018, 01:16:57 PM »
I think it's important to keep in mind that the modern demographic is MASSIVELY different than anything prior to Gen X.

This is a group of people in an intense economic environment, in crowded, growing cities. They've been raised recycling, reusing and conserving. They want fuel efficient, compact, sensible machines. They still want fun, they still want bikes... but they don't have the kind of expendable income that Boomers have.

Saying that Guzzi "left" their customer base is ridiculous. Look at how successful the V7 has been for them. I'd say they've done a pretty good job of changing with the times, in terms of their bikes.

Agree 100%, take a look at a Honda dealership, lots of small displacement twins on the floor, same for other brands, I see plenty of small displacement street bikes from KTM as well. My sons in their late 20's and early 30's have no interest in big displacement bikes or the cost it takes to own and insure but the 300 ~ 500 cc new stuff they find appealing.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2018, 01:34:18 PM »
  Lannis on this site takes long trips on a 50's BSA A10...Ask him what he would do in case of a breakdown...It's not like you're going to fix a bad generator or magneto with bailing wire... :grin:

Just saw this post ... sorry, I was away on a long trip, and gone yesterday on the A10 .... !

So far, on all the trips, a bike has only had to come home on a trailer once (A65), and that was my fault for not properly staking the clutch rubber damping screws in place, and I didn't have a clutch puller on the road.

On any trip (Guzzi, Triumph, BSA, whatever), I take any reasonable spares that I can.  Ignition bits, bulbs, a pocket battery jumper, cable ties, all the usual stuff.   Tools to take off the wheels and the outer engine covers.

Usually it's not going to be franchised dealer for your brand that's going to help you out of a fix, it's going to be a general repair shop, a small motorcycle shop, someone on the MGNOC Help List, or just a guy.    Can't imagine lack of a Guzzi shop on the road would ever be an issue for me.   

Lack of BSA shops on the road certainly hasn't been a problem, and a good thing, too.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2018, 01:47:25 PM »
Just saw this post ... sorry, I was away on a long trip, and gone yesterday on the A10 .... !

So far, on all the trips, a bike has only had to come home on a trailer once (A65), and that was my fault for not properly staking the clutch rubber damping screws in place, and I didn't have a clutch puller on the road.

On any trip (Guzzi, Triumph, BSA, whatever), I take any reasonable spares that I can.  Ignition bits, bulbs, a pocket battery jumper, cable ties, all the usual stuff.   Tools to take off the wheels and the outer engine covers.

Usually it's not going to be franchised dealer for your brand that's going to help you out of a fix, it's going to be a general repair shop, a small motorcycle shop, someone on the MGNOC Help List, or just a guy.    Can't imagine lack of a Guzzi shop on the road would ever be an issue for me.   

Lack of BSA shops on the road certainly hasn't been a problem, and a good thing, too.

Lannis

I'm with you... I tend to "overpack" for road trips. Tubes, fuses, bulbs, plugs, oil, all sizes of sockets required, etc. One of my saddlebags is tool and parts, the other is camping stuff, and then my tent, sleeping gear, rain gear on the pillion and rack. If worse comes to worst... get help. Some of the areas that I ride are pretty remote though... going to see my folks involves a 400 km stretch with nothing but one lonely, sketchy gas station about halfway, so I like being prepared for the worst. I also tend to go over the bike with a fine-tooth comb before setting out anywhere, so maybe that helps.

As much as more Guzzi shops on the road would be comforting... you'd only end up waiting for months for the part you required anyways.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 01:48:29 PM by Toecutter »
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Zomby Woof

• New Egg
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2018, 10:19:03 AM »
RPM Cycles in Dallas (actually Farmers Branch) is no longer handling Moto Guzzi or Aprilia.  It seems that eleven years of frustration was enough.  It's a shame, as that has been my favorite shop for a long time.  They are now down to Triumph only.
That's too bad... I was not aware of RPM dropping their other product lines, including MG. I just had my V11 LeMans serviced there about 2 months ago & they had a decent number of Guzzi's on the showroom floor.

Guess AF1 in Austin will have to do for service if I can't handle it myself & I think they've been a MG dealer for quite some time. Just another excuse to get down to Austin!  :boozing:
2007 BMW K12S White Aluminum Metallic
2003 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans (Rosso Race Red)
1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850 California (Police Edition)
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition
2012 BMW S1000RR Blue/Red/White Tri-Color (sold)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2018, 10:19:03 AM »

Tennmoto

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2018, 07:44:02 AM »
My take on this MG problem goes in several directions like many of you mentioned
There is hope when you see active threads on Advrider discussing the V7 and the new V85
Growing the brand involves get attention, then selling the bikes, and then having a passionate
Returning customer. Moto Guzzi can be seen as a fashion brand lately but they also have a strong
Base albeit smaller numbers. So having a long wait for support parts is bad but managing production
At a small plant in Mandello is the best they can do. My answer is to be a multi bike owner and it is a disease, lol. I’m close to buying a Quota but I’ve had to do more research on the fuel injection
And finding a good tech in my region. It’s a bit of a pain but I still have a passion for the best
Sounding Vtwin in the world, even if I take a break for awhile I never forget my affection for the unique machine

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2018, 11:16:25 PM »
 the   .. niche .. that many associate with Moto Guzzi could be the death nell for the brand ...
This site is full of Luddites , that would never buy a new Guzzi ,instead they lament on and on about the old days and vintage and snap their red suspenders loudly and puff about the brand like its some kind of iconic wonderbike .
The problem as i see it is partly the faithful , they prattle on about  Guzzi  like its their grandson , and to that point many Guzzi riders are old , yep old or older i would bet that the average age for Guzzi patrons is 60, and many pushing 70. not good news for any company wanting to move ahead , draw in some fresh blood make some changes and try not to be so "niche" and become mainstream ..huge challenge ..
The V7, V9  now the v85 and the 1400 series bikes are certainly nice motorcycles , i would think that Guzzi has been putting in the effort , so get off your wallets and buy one or at the very least promote the brand to those that want to ride or are getting back into it ,of all ages .
Change is good and its time to move on .

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 11:24:20 PM by keener »
smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2018, 07:42:08 AM »
The Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex(mess) has a population of over 3 million people and now it doesn't have a Guzzi dealer. I know some can take a tuna can and make an under size rod bearing or kill an armadillo and use the intestine to cover a bare wire. Others just want to ride and not work on their bikes nor go 200 plus miles to a dealer. IMHO it doesn't look good for the brand.

Tex

Offline rdbandkab

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2018, 03:23:03 PM »
Anyone know how it's going in Wooster's shop (All Seasons Sports Center) ?   
I haven't been up there in quite a while.  Had the Stelvio serviced there a couple times.

richy

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here