Author Topic: New world record for youngest rider?  (Read 5485 times)

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
New world record for youngest rider?
« on: October 07, 2018, 04:30:14 PM »
I've been going to m/c rallies since 1959 and Guzz rallies since 1971 and I'm sure a record was set today at the Guzzi Texas rally in Lindale, TX when the youngest rider was age.....are you ready? was awarded to Jim Rich age 61. Can you believe 61? Me thinks we need some young blood at Guzzi events.

Tex

oldbike54

Re: New world record for youngest rider?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 04:32:51 PM »
 Yes we do, unfortunately the pool is shallow.

Dusty

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 06:07:51 PM »
Oh my! That is not good.
New Slogan: When you think you are too old to ride buy a Moto Guzzi...used.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 06:21:31 PM »
Right there says alot about what will be, slowly die off as we are gone. They ought to be valuable & exotic then. 
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 06:21:31 PM »

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 08:25:31 PM »
that's remarkable.  sixty-one.  Sigh...  I'm with you, Ken.  I think I was twenty-two when I first went to one of Frank's nationals, and I certainly wouldn't have been the youngest.

I'm returning from the flat track races in New Jersey (Meadowlands).  At least on that point, the typical fan seems to (finally) be getting younger.  So, perhaps there is hope.

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 08:27:27 PM »
That is a pretty high age for the youngest rider [emoji1]

There are some of us here that is half the age of Jim [emoji16] just a bit too far away to get to Texas.

Maybe many of the younger guzzi buyers are not so much into the rallies? Or they do their own rallies maybe.

-Ulrik

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 08:35:31 PM »
I've got some theories but would be a pure guess as to why young guys don't go to rallies.
Maybe social media seems to them the obvious way to catch up.
Wonder if we could ask the membership of those under 35, why they would or would not attend a rally.
Maybe work commitments just too onerous.
Not a good sign though is it...?

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 09:00:23 PM »
I've got some theories but would be a pure guess as to why young guys don't go to rallies.
Maybe social media seems to them the obvious way to catch up.
Wonder if we could ask the membership of those under 35, why they would or would not attend a rally.
Maybe work commitments just too onerous.
Not a good sign though is it...?

I was raising a family and used a motorcycle as transportation.  Did not do much leisure riding with working and college and kids.  I didn't ride the Blue Ridge Parkway until I was in my 40s.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 10:23:20 PM »
That's pretty funny, actually.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 12:43:37 AM »
That's pretty funny, actually.
do tell...?

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 05:30:55 AM »
Depressing, but not surprising.
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 06:53:08 AM »
Yes we do, unfortunately the pool is shallow.
 Dusty

Nonsense, I’m 59!😂
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 07:39:24 AM »
Austin was youngest rider at the Kentucky rally.. 28, I think. And... he gets it.  :thumb: Of course, he's a gear head, and Guzzis do it for him.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 07:52:52 AM »
Sixty one is the new thirty one, we're all living longer.    Without metformin, stents, knee replacements, bypasses, and blood thinners, most of us wouldn't be here anyway.

If the younger riders want something different than the rallies we like (characterized by gloomy-guses as "a bunch of old men sitting around a campfire talking about the old days") then they can bloody well form a rally of their own.   If they can't come to the current rallies, and won't do their own the way they like it, then they don't deserve a rally.

Nobody had to "customize" a rally or play "my music" or do it "my way" to get ME to come to a rally years ago.   Damned if I'm going to coddle some young momma's boy to talk him into coming ....  :thewife:   :thewife:   :thewife: 

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline AZach

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 08:20:16 AM »
Yeah I got the youngest rider at the KY rally at (26) I'm slowly trying to get people into Guzzis but alas in this technical age there are fewer people into mechanical things like I am. The problem is no one has ever heard of Moto Guzzi, Before I met Chuck in Indiana I had never heard of them but once I did I fell in love with them. I have gotten my Girlfriend hooked on them too, just have to teach her to ride then we'll get a Guzzi for her. I love going to rallies and I would hate for the day to come when there aren't anymore (Guzzi) to go to. I'm in a couple different groups on Facebook one being the National Owners Club, and there is a good number of those people who are younger (late 30s-40s) and for whatever reason didn't even realize there were rallies. Hopefully things will turn around, I'd like to still be going to rallies when I'm old. Also, I know people don't want to change the way things are to "cater" to a younger crowd but sometimes change can be good, especially if it means keeping the thing we love alive. I personally love the way the rallies are but I'm an old soul and grew up on a farm with my grandparents and their friends so for me it feels like home. But for most other young people they see a bunch of old guys and gals camping and riding old motorcycles they think they wouldn't have a place there. In the end, I think it will take an effort from everyone, I personally am trying to tell everyone I can to come to rallies all of them are younger people. The other off-putting thing for people is they think "Oh I don't have a Guzzi so I can't go to this thing" which we all know isn't the case but I think we need to be more upfront about it when promoting a rally? We definitely need people like Curt Edwards who comes to the rallies and takes these amazing photos of all the people and bikes (showing the diversity) and posting them in places like the facebook groups where younger riders can see. I know I'm not giving up trying to get more young riders and well just more people to the rallies.
Austin
Indiana Rep

'81 V1000 G5
'86 LeMans IV "200k Flood bike"
'91 CalMans "big valve Cal turned Mk4
'98 EV
'03 Cal Aluminum "mostly parts bike"
'79 Yamaha XS750 Tripple
'94 KLR650 aka "KLR from Hell"

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2018, 08:30:10 AM »
Well said, Austin..  :thumb:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2018, 08:31:28 AM »
I for one it seems, don't consider 61 years old as being old. I know 45 Y/Os that act like they are 90.

That's a fact, Mike..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2018, 08:38:37 AM »
Me thinks we need some young blood at Guzzi events.
Tex

I completely agree. I'm hoping the new lineup of the V85 will bring some new blood into the fold.

I wish Piaggio would chime in here with plans for expanding to more dealers. But, they wont. And that is sad.  I'm almost 49 and cant help but wonder what the Guzzi market will be like in 10 more years. It may not exist.  It seems like every non-guzzi person I talk to says they'd love to have one, but with it being 100+ miles to a dealer, there's no way they'd do it.  Then again, they don't produce the numbers to justify adding dealers.  It's quite the conundrum and I don't see anything changing.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2018, 09:06:28 AM »
I'm 30, well the reason I don't come is that I'm on the wrong side of the pond. When I can I do my best to get to the Italian rally in Denmark, but I just haven't had time to do it this year. (I were in a wrong country)

I also know lots of young guys that don't know what they are or think they are old and can't see the idea. I also know young guys that think they are really cool. When I park my guzzi somewhere it always strike up a conversation. Some times with old guys some times with young.

I also convinced my best friend to buy both a guzzi and an Alfa Romeo [emoji16]

I don't think the world is totally lost. But I do hope that the new V85 line will bring in some extra and new riders to Guzzi. They deserve it. Even if they have shitty dealer support.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2018, 10:03:59 AM »
I was just chatting with Ace Mallott at the Mo-Kan about this very subject. We were reminiscing how there was a time when he and I were the young pups at the rallies and there doesn't seem to be any "new blood" coming in after us.

I did point out how the same kids that used to sleep on his bike on the way to rallies are now bringing their kids (Ace's grandchildren) to join in the fun and are learning to appreciate being outdoors. We had a couple of dozen kids at the Mo-Kan, running around having fun.

If you haven't been to the Mo-Kan, you should, it's a great family atmosphere. The motorcycle games Saturday night add to the fun and make it a nice evening.

ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2018, 10:12:29 AM »
I've been going to m/c rallies since 1959 and Guzz rallies since 1971 and I'm sure a record was set today at the Guzzi Texas rally in Lindale, TX when the youngest rider was age.....are you ready? was awarded to Jim Rich age 61. Can you believe 61? Me thinks we need some young blood at Guzzi events

Tex

Too bad I had to cut out early.  I'd of win that I'm still 39.

Seriously what have we done to bring the young riders to the rallies.
Lots of younger guys on V7s and V9s.

Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 10:24:20 AM »
Yesterday my youngest son and I went to a one day Italian Motorcycle and Car show in the SF Bay area.  I ran into a couple of riders who were my son's vintage (he's 23).

99% of the people were from the Bay Area so they didn't really travel.  Ours was one of the longer rides at 2 1/2 hours.

So I throw out a couple of reasons why.  States with not enough population, to far of travel, now wanting to stay overnight and not enough to see.

Finally most of the younger crowed at the car show came with the Scooter Pack.
Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

oldbike54

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2018, 10:51:06 AM »
 It isn't just the Guzzi rallies that are not seeing young attendees, we had a small event in Cedar Vale 3 weeks back and while we had riders from Portland OR, Chiccgo, and a Kiwi. The youngest was 48. It will require a 35 year old to become seriously involved in rally organization for a start.

Dusty

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2018, 11:05:56 AM »
Didn't attend my first rally (Sturgis) until I was 57; first Guzzi event was in 2002 @ 59! Have been on powered two wheelers since 1956. Had to wait for retirement to have the time; suspect many are like that!!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2018, 12:24:39 PM »
Old people in 1938 were worrying that the motorcycling world would end when they left here.

It's universal.   AND it never happens ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline bettythebear

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2018, 12:51:41 PM »
That's the real reason I didn't go this year! I just didn't want to win youngest rider again, I figured it was someone else's turn!   :grin:
2011 MG v7 Classic
2020 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2018, 01:55:52 PM »
It isn't just the Guzzi rallies that are not seeing young attendees, we had a small event in Cedar Vale 3 weeks back and while we had riders from Portland OR, Chiccgo, and a Kiwi. The youngest was 48. It will require a 35 year old to become seriously involved in rally organization for a start.

Dusty

X2  The shortage of people producing events is probably more significant.  One of my closest friends opened his shop in the early 90's.  First event (Italian show-ride in) was in 95 and others followed in a variety of formats.  In 05, we went to an all-marque rally which officially become Antique Bikes On Main in 07.  For the past few years, it has been a 30K attendance event over 3+ days.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCqWCZ0S2Ag Completely family friendly & appropriate- no wet t-shirt, slaw wrestling, honda bonfires, etc.

The event is produced by the two of us and has become a year round job that doesn't pay a dime... more from this year's ABOM promotions including Guzzi content of both me https://www.wspa.com/news/hometown-spotlight-antique-bikes-on-main/1327802512  and rockabilly legend (in his own mind) & shop mechanic Vic Velvet on his Cali in a gold lame jacket from the live remote.  scroll down- there's several videos on that page.  the 2014 video was produced by Guzzi Mike, some might recognize his MG from the on-the-road footage and then his long-in-process 500 Falcone/police single.  Shop owner Dennis sold his new V7 a few yrs ago.  So before anyone complains about not having enough places to go on your MG or the types of people & bikes at biker rallies, there may be more going on than you think.  Doing a marque-specific event  has never proven to be the best strategy for us.  It's lots more practical to convince a rider to try a MG than to get a bike virgin to become a Guzzi rider in one step. 

14+ yrs later, I'm 51 and know I'm too old to be young-cool anymore.   Social media, free wifi and charging stations, mocha-latte-cappachino, etc  mean more to many younger attendees than red solo cups, dirty parts and good ol days bike stories that are generally irrelevant to them.  swap meets have been forever changed by craigslist and ebay. So have events in general.   It's been a ton of work to develop funding, promotions, etc. just because.  Just like riding motorcycles is about the art of avoidance, you have to go with the flow regarding events, too.  Old ways may not work anymore.   Adapt or die.   Consider producing an event or being a bulletproof volunteer at one, not just someone who is good for two hours and two beers before running off with your free t-shirt....  And make the effort to be relevant to people who aren't your age. 

Then, when you put a cool Guzzi beside the other average bikes, it all comes together.   We had several not-yet Guzzi people specifically ask us this year- "what is it about Moto Guzzi's?  You hardly ever see them but all you guys running this event ride them.  what's going on?"  Very cool...
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2018, 04:17:18 PM »
My son Jeremy got youngest rider everywhere we went, as you can get a permit in Iowa at 14. We didn't know that in Illinois, Missouri, and probably other states that he wasn't legal. Because they didn't offer permits that young, they don't honor Iowa's. We never ran into any cops, tho.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline AZach

• New Egg
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2018, 08:28:48 PM »
I don't think it's necessarily the variety of bikes or even lack of dealerships, I think the majority of the reason we're not seeing the younger cround is promotion of Rally's. Most young people have never even seen a forum let alone have been active in one. I'm a bit of an oddity because ive always done my own repairs to whatever im working on that week or tried to get ideas on how to do some crazy half cooked project. The Facebook groups are starting to alleviate that but it's still in the early stages. The other factor is like someone else said they couldn't go to rallies till they retired, it seems most places its hard to get a Friday off or the kids can't afford to take a day off. I'm lucky enough to work for a place that encourages going on adventures and doing things so the occasion Thursday/Friday off is no big deal. There's been several big studies done showing the majority if people under 30 have less than 1000$ in their savings. Hopefully things will turn around in coming years even if the majority of the crowd is 50+ I feel there will at least be a steady stream of 50+ guys and the occasional <30 riders. In coming years I. May even look into starting an Indiana rally or helping one of the surrounding rallies. 
Austin
Indiana Rep

'81 V1000 G5
'86 LeMans IV "200k Flood bike"
'91 CalMans "big valve Cal turned Mk4
'98 EV
'03 Cal Aluminum "mostly parts bike"
'79 Yamaha XS750 Tripple
'94 KLR650 aka "KLR from Hell"

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2018, 09:41:07 AM »
The young are too busy to hang with old farts. At least mine are. My son has his day job, weekend Scoutmaster and midget football coach, is WM at his Lodge, and a fledgling photography business on the side. A little time off for romance and a cold one, boom: time's gone. Ditto for my sibling's kids. Time is a luxury for young parents. I made sure they all had dirts bikes as kids, but it didn't blossom with them. I'm actually relieved...  :wink:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here