Author Topic: New world record for youngest rider?  (Read 5460 times)

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
Re: New world record for youngest rider?
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2018, 11:19:03 AM »
I've been going to m/c rallies since 1959 and Guzz rallies since 1971 and I'm sure a record was set today at the Guzzi Texas rally in Lindale, TX when the youngest rider was age.....are you ready? was awarded to Jim Rich age 61.

This was my first GRIT rally.  Actually it was a bit of relief showing up to an event and not significantly skewing the average age to the high side ☺

I completely agree. I'm hoping the new lineup of the V85 will bring some new blood into the fold.

I suspect the current lineup of V7s is currently doing that to some extent.  Attractive bike and priced competitively.  The V85 should help too.

Having said that, someone still needs to spread the word about Guzzis.  Since Piaggio doesn't seem interested in doing it I guess its up to the dealers and riding community.  How, I'm not sure...

X2  The shortage of people producing events is probably more significant….

I think this is a chronic issue, not only for Guzzi riders for the non Harley/BMW riding community in general. 

There used to be a young fellow (35?) in Austin who would organize a monthly ride via the Rockers vs. Mods group.   Would usually get 10 to 15 riders which was not a bad size.  There has been one organized ride since Jeremiah passed away two years ago.

Years ago a former Guzzi rider in Austin used to organize a monthly ride.  We’d get anywhere from 4 to 8 riders for a Sunday breakfast ride.  Hasn’t been a monthly Guzzi ride for a couple of years now.

When I got my Cali Custom in 2014 I attended a couple of Texas ‘lunch events’ that were organized.  I guess that doesn’t happen anymore (or I was crossed off the list).

Point I’m trying to make is that it takes a concerted, continuous effort from a lot of people to keep any riding community going.  It doesn’t always take a big event.  Even small events (monthly ride/lunch) makes a difference.

The other factor is like someone else said they couldn't go to rallies till they retired, it seems most places its hard to get a Friday off or the kids can't afford to take a day off.

This.   I've been riding since 1968 and started riding Guzzis in about 5 years ago.  But it wasn’t until I retired at the end of 2017 that my schedule was my own.  Even vacations weren’t vacations because of the requirement to be on conference calls, deal with customer fire drills, etc.

This year I finally attended my first two Guzzi events, both of which I enjoyed.   I enjoyed those two rallies for the same reason I enjoy riding in general - meeting people from all walks of life and from a lot of different places, and seeing new places.   So maybe we'll see a continuing addition of 50s-60s something riders joining the fray.

It’s hard for a newbie to know what to expect from a rally.  A Guzzi rally is not Sturgis, or the ROT rally, so what should a Newbie expect?  Publishing even a brief schedule would help.  Something as simple as ‘We’ll have some food Friday about 6:30 pm for those that can make it.  There will be a couple of rides available Saturday, with dinner around 6:30.  We’ll have dinner and awards Sunday starting before noon.”  Those of you that have been doing this for years know what to expect.  Newbies don’t.  Also, not all of us camp.  Provide a short list of places to stay within striking distance of the rally site.  Just some suggestions.

And Ken, it was a pleasure having a conversation with a real Guzzi legend.  There are so many great stories to hear from people like Ken that have been doing this for a long time.  These stories  are inspiring to new attendees, regardless of their age.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2018, 11:51:16 AM »
I was happy to be 61 @ Lindale and win the "The Spring Chicken Award" for youngest rider.  All this reminiscing on this thread... when I was a young gun on a Bonneville I looked at Guzzis thought - that is an old man's bike, not what I want to be riding.  It was looking at an early 80's loop frame, did not know what a LeMans was.  Lindale was an excellent get-together with some card carrying interesting characters in attendance and the sweetest rally hostess imaginable. 

Offline hidn45

• Gosling
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2018, 12:06:00 PM »
The vintage/ custom crowd in Pittsburgh is mostly fairly young, & fairly active.  I hesitate to refer to them as "hipsters", as the term has become somewhat derogatory (much like "cafe racer" was back in the day).

They do events fairly regularly, but nothing that I'd refer to as a rally.  I've gotten some light interest from them when talking about our Western New York rally.  Speaking of, there are a fair number of kids who come to the rally with family who are getting close to driving age in the next few years ("they grow up so fast - where does the time go...").  It will be interesting to see how many of them pick up the torch....

BTW, have you seen the latest H-D commercials on TV?  The MoCo is DEFINITELY beginning to target a younger/ different market....
Y2K Bassa - "Benedetta" (sold)
1986 Cali II - "Moose"
1977 T-3 [formerly FB] - name TBD

MGNOC member # 22,000

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2018, 07:17:29 PM »
I've enjoyed reading all the posts. Thanks.
We've had riders under 16 at the GRIT rally, but this year was a shocker 61!!. The weather was warm and the price is still FREE with 5 meals and lots of prizes. Only 30 attended. I don't have the answer.

Yet, we had long distance riders from CA, AZ and NH, but none from OK or LA.

See some of you in Talihena this weekend at the Okie camp out. I'm still not able to ride so will be in the Toyota pick-up.
Tex

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2018, 07:17:29 PM »

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2018, 03:41:03 AM »
It isn't just the Guzzi rallies that are not seeing young attendees, we had a small event in Cedar Vale 3 weeks back and while we had riders from Portland OR, Chiccgo, and a Kiwi. The youngest was 48. It will require a 35 year old to become seriously involved in rally organization for a start.

Dusty

I have a 26yo son in college (still!) who rides.  I have been trying to steer him away from another sport bike (he sold his Triumph Daytona 675 when he returned to school).  He actually told me he is very excited about the Motoguzzi V85 coming out (likes the red frame and yellow white colors even), so who knows, maybe a new MG rider coming up.  Jon is looking at grad school at Purdue (Lafayette, Indiana I believe) so he would be in the Midwest.

Jon has been riding my V7iii up and down Angeles Crest Highway while on college breaks, and I think he is enjoying the bike.

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2018, 08:35:38 AM »
I'm a bit over seven months into my Guzzi ownership, and at 46, I've got those work and family commitments.  I have a tight-knit group of motorcycle friends, and the events that we attend are ones that we have organized for ourselves.  I've been able to attend three of those this year that take me about 500 miles from home, latest being an off-road experience involving about 25 people.  I would very much like to attend a Guzzi rally, but the last two that I could see making it to (OH, KY) were at the same time as some other motorcycle or family event.  The good thing is that I have a fairly flexible schedule of time off at my job, and being the boss is helpful, too!  I may be able to increase the chances of attending a rally in the future if I can incorporate bringing my family with me.     
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline AZach

• New Egg
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2018, 09:32:49 AM »
I'm a bit over seven months into my Guzzi ownership, and at 46, I've got those work and family commitments.  I have a tight-knit group of motorcycle friends, and the events that we attend are ones that we have organized for ourselves.  I've been able to attend three of those this year that take me about 500 miles from home, latest being an off-road experience involving about 25 people.  I would very much like to attend a Guzzi rally, but the last two that I could see making it to (OH, KY) were at the same time as some other motorcycle or family event.  The good thing is that I have a fairly flexible schedule of time off at my job, and being the boss is helpful, too!  I may be able to increase the chances of attending a rally in the future if I can incorporate bringing my family with me.     

Hey brother Jim we're in in the same neck of the woods haha I'm up near Anderson, I am also a new owner but to the point of rallies there are a bunch throughout the year all over the country. The ones Chuck in Indiana frequents and now I probably will is the Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois Ohio and Kentucky rallies. I can say the Kentucky rally was so much fun! It was only 200 miles for us. Ive been told the Ohio is a fabulous rally too. But the rally calendar on the National owners club site should be updated towards thr beginning of the year. Hopefully well see you at a few next year =]
Austin
Indiana Rep

'81 V1000 G5
'86 LeMans IV "200k Flood bike"
'91 CalMans "big valve Cal turned Mk4
'98 EV
'03 Cal Aluminum "mostly parts bike"
'79 Yamaha XS750 Tripple
'94 KLR650 aka "KLR from Hell"

Offline BrotherJim

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2018, 07:33:04 PM »
Check your PM, AZach.
Short Time Livin'...

'02 Moto Guzzi California Stone

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2018, 05:56:55 PM »
61 seems young when you get past 70  :bike-037:
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2018, 06:04:58 PM »
^^^^^ True.. true.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Dofin

• Gosling
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2018, 07:03:10 PM »
Ride ON!!!!!  Im 66 and hope to keep riding a long while to come.
76' Yamaha RD400
76' Suzuki GT500
89' Honda PC800
15' Guzzi V7 Stone

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2018, 09:01:52 AM »

So I throw out a couple of reasons why.  States with not enough population, to far of travel, now wanting to stay overnight and not enough to see.

The Guzzi deal where the young rider was 61 is in Lindale Texas.  It's less than 100 miles, an hour-and-a-half, to the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

Texas - Population 25.1 Million
DFW metro - Populaton 7.1-Million

If you can't find something to do in East Texas, you can't find something to do anywhere.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here