Author Topic: Just so I know  (Read 3894 times)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Just so I know
« on: October 18, 2018, 11:12:13 AM »
As far as is relevant on this forum, what is the definition of a "troll" and could I see an example of trolling as it applies to someone like..Ummmm.
Me...?
Where does the line exist between trolling and being confrontationalist ?
Or..
Exposing BS where it is perceived to exist..
PM would be more than ok if nervous..

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Just so I know
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 11:25:07 AM »
I went trolling yesterday. Got some nice Walleye.  :laugh:

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 11:30:35 AM »
See my response on the thread in question.

No, I don't personally believe you to be a troll. You bring contributions to the board as a general rule. Not just dissent. I do hope my response was a correct assumption on the other thread though. 

John Henry

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 11:31:25 AM »
I think you're right, ZZ..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 11:31:25 AM »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 11:35:19 AM »
Look I hope not mate.
I've had a lot of back handers from Dusty and have seen Luap's cannon being cranked around towards me once in the early days and thought I'd figured where the line of decency is drawn.
But you never know.
In Australia we have a term called S**t Stirrer
I will admit to that, but do not want to hurt anyone's feelings.

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 11:37:58 AM »
 Sometimes we simply need to take a minute to consider how a comment might be perceived.  We don't have much trouble with trolling on WG,  maybe the best advice is to send a PM to any member who misunderstands a post. A little bit of civility goes a long way to diffusing trouble.

Dusty

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 12:05:47 PM »
I would define trolling as anything intended primarily to provoke an angry counterpost, or to commit mischief as in offering intentionally bad advice that can cause damage. But that may be simple-minded. Urban Dictionary has some more nuanced definitions -- some of them by trolls.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Trolling

BTW the term is a happy combination of etymologies. The verb to troll originally meant to stroll (Middle English) but came to mean pulling a fishing lure slowly through water, usually behind a moving boat. By extension it came to mean any activity meant to lure prey (you can troll a singles bar, for instance).

The noun troll, from Scandinavian folklore means a dwarf or giant (often cannibalistic) living in a cave (sometimes beneath a bridge). The association gives trolling a negative connotation, unless of course you're a troll.

A trolley is any electric vehicle equipped with poles, resembling fishing poles, that troll behind to engage overhead cables.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Gustavo

• New Egg
  • Motociclista Errante
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 12:23:02 PM »
I think the difference between having a well meaning discussion and trolling will depend on context and frequency.  It's OK to disagree and present a counter point of view.  But there are different ways to do it, some result in a good discussion and others in mud slinging and personal insults.

Also, always remember that humor and things said in gist are not always obvious on the other side of the screen.  Some people will see your comments as you intended and others won't.  That and the fact that we are two (or three, if you count the British  :grin:) peoples divided by a common language.  What may be obvious to an Aussie audience gets completely lost on your American friends.    :angel:

Gustavo

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 01:41:28 PM »
As far as is relevant on this forum, what is the definition of a "troll" and could I see an example of trolling as it applies to someone like..Ummmm.
Me...?
Where does the line exist between trolling and being confrontationalist ?
Or..
Exposing BS where it is perceived to exist..
PM would be more than ok if nervous..

Hugo, take it from a lifetime fisherman, people troll to catch something.
Don't be a fish, don't let someone egg you on.
I read your posts. Sometime good info, sometimes a good laugh.  :laugh:
Someone tries to "bait" you, ignore them.
Others see a troll for what they are.
Plenty of good stuff to read here anyway.
I didn't see what got you going, I probably ignored it.

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 01:46:12 PM »
To be blunt... "trolling" is intentionally stirring up shit, for the sake of it. Posting stuff that has zero purpose beyond getting a response, and getting under someone's skin.

In context of yesterday's post, I think that was  matter of crossed wires... with you posting a repsonse to the "kickstarting a scooter" post, but in the "woman rider" post, it seemed like you were basically saying that women shouldn't be riding at all. Taken in context, it came across as a "trolling" attempt, as it appeared to be such an ass-backwards, anachronistic thing to be saying.

At least, that's my take on it. I may be wrong, it's been known to happen once or twice in my life.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 02:37:38 PM »
Easy definition:

In Internet slang, a troll (/troʊl, trɒl/) is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 05:08:42 PM »
Geesh.. Huzo was replying to the wrong thread. His comments were actually relevant to that one. If you don't know how to start your scooter, maybe you shouldn't be on the road..
Huzo.. apologize for posting on the wrong thread.
Everybody else.. quit getting your panties in a bunch.
<old fart shuffling off>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 05:23:02 PM »
 Displaying emotional responses or finding a reason to seems to be a favorite pastime for many in our society these days. It's so much easier to ignore and scroll on. This is supposed to be fun "fellas" <Dusty content> Don't get your undies in a wad! 
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 05:32:45 PM »
Geesh.. Huzo was replying to the wrong thread. His comments were actually relevant to that one. If you don't know how to start your scooter, maybe you shouldn't be on the road..
<old fart shuffling off>
Perfect Chuck..
Sorry to all and sundry regarding posting to the wrong thread. Not the first time I've done that either...
Hmmm...
As for "attempting" to troll, I have a very good reason not to, but if I did, I'd play very nicely until I'd dragged the respondents in and then gently start with small barbs that got bigger and sharper, but by then the respondents would also have hung themselves as well, so then I could turn all apologetic and look like the poor misunderstood antipodean..
But I did not have that intention..
Bye...

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 06:09:32 PM »
Huzo
There were two threads with similar titles which seems to be a WG thing.
Someone starts a thread and some other person then starts another thread with word play off the original title.

I saw both threads, read your reply and thought Huzo has put his reply in the wrong thread (maybe you came back to make a reply and they had moved in the order of the page)
You then attracted trollish replies, everyone has a choice what they type and doubt there are that many 60 word per minute members here.
ie typing is quite different to the spoken word, you have plenty of time to rethink what you are typing and have the option of hitting the back button.
Trolls don't do that because they are safe behind their anonymous computer screen somewhere out there in lala land (the internet)

A simple mistake and a sign of the world we live in, just like the dimwit who (if it was not staged) could have simply said that is the kick start.
I agree if any person was that inept they are not ready for the perils of city riding.
Yeah Les.
Certainly my fault that started the storm.
I just did not agree with one small piece of terminology, but I'd be well advised to take a couple more seconds before responding.
Not what I said..
But where I said it..
Chuck did a Roper and hit the nail squarely.
Sorry guys. (That has to be the end doesn't it ?)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 06:36:19 PM »
You missed my PS, it wouldn't be a storm down here.

No doubt it stems from that locked thread.
dYeah mate we both know that, but I should not expect some stuff to cross oceans and still work.
I've been advised as such.
Lesson for me.

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 06:42:21 PM »
<old fart shuffling off>
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

oldbike54

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 06:57:15 PM »
 Once again, it was a misunderstanding, seems we have hashed this out.  I agree with Huzo, we are done.  Everyone else agree? Good. 

Dusty

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 07:00:19 PM »
<old fart shuffling off>

Its all water over the dam at this point. The other thread has been deleted so let get back to the the norm........What oil should I use? Or what tire will last 78,000 miles, stick like a track tire in every condition imaginable and cost $50 shipped, mounted and balanced?
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2018, 10:38:39 PM »
Its all water over the dam at this point. The other thread has been deleted so let get back to the the norm........What oil should I use? Or what tire will last 78,000 miles, stick like a track tire in every condition imaginable and cost $50 shipped, mounted and balanced?
TROLL......!!! :grin:

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 06:39:20 AM »
I don't think is right to tread on someone's feelings Bulldog, but I see instances where someone will take the ascendency then act all wounded  when called on it.
Really though mate, I've had a darn good hearing on this and I'm happy to accept my portion of the "blame".
Bullies are something most people can't abide and I'm no exception, I certainly hope to be called on it if I start to become one.
Whether you possess a dominant or passive personality, you should be assured of an equal chance to express yoursel without fear...

Go easy on Bulldog, Huzo, it might be that time of the month  :embarrassed:

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2018, 06:45:07 AM »
Go easy on Bulldog, Huzo, it might be that time of the month  :embarrassed:
Absolutely Yogi, my comment was in regard to expecting people to have to leave if they "can't stand the heat".
We're not here to see who can endure the most attacks.
I personally like the manouvering and banter, but not everyone embraces it, nor should they have to.

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2018, 06:49:02 AM »

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 07:41:23 AM »
Remember the TROLL years ago from up in Washing state.  I can't remember his name but he was persistent if anything.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2018, 09:08:07 AM »
<old fart shuffling off>

I didn't see anyone getting their panties in a bunch... Huzo asked what trolling was, and seemed to express concern as to why he was called a troll. I was just explaining what trolling is (as asked), and offered my opinion as to why the mistaken post might have been seen as such, in context (as asked).
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2018, 09:43:21 AM »
Remember the TROLL years ago from up in Washing state.  I can't remember his name but he was persistent if anything.

Dean

He was a man of mystery and went by many names.

Enzo, Capt. Jack Sparrow, etc.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2018, 10:09:38 AM »
I have an idea. Let's make this thread a LI battery and let it burn up  :thumb:

oldbike54

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2018, 10:25:38 AM »
I have an idea. Let's make this thread a LI battery and let it burn up  :thumb:

Agree

Dusty

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here