Author Topic: Piaggio / Moto Guzzi Social Media  (Read 10107 times)

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
Re: Piaggio / Moto Guzzi Social Media
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2018, 12:12:43 PM »
When whacking the throttle open for a quick burst, I've never though to myself "I wish this would accelerate a bit slower". Now I have wished for more traction!   :evil:
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

oldbike54

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2018, 12:24:12 PM »
 Smithswede has said to me that sometimes not having too much HP makes us more careful .

Dusty

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2018, 12:59:09 PM »
I will admit. ... As long as extra weight don't come with extra HP its a good thing.

This little V 7 runs along at 80 mph just fine .
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 01:03:31 PM by MMRanch »
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2018, 04:59:29 PM »
When whacking the throttle open for a quick burst, I've never though to myself "I wish this would accelerate a bit slower". Now I have wished for more traction!   :evil:

despite the OP wanting a bigger engine, according to Luap's posting, the Guzzi is much faster on the 60mph roll-on than the Indian, Harley or Victory. 

Having ridden them all, I must agree.  I see no reason to criticize the Guzzi engine for being smaller when it's faster.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2018, 04:59:29 PM »

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2018, 09:16:52 AM »
there is no point in a 1800cc motorcycle, unless you and your wife both weigh 250+
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2018, 10:29:58 PM »
Or unless you're a manufacturer like Piaggio who's gone to Sturgis for 3 years running trying to appeal to people who currently have slightly built 103", 106", 111", 117" engines etc etc etc. Many of those people are used to over 115 RWHP and torque. Some are used to over reliable v-twins engine with over 140 RWHP and torque.

So it's good to have choices. I suspect no one will be forcing more power and torque onto those who don't want it. There's nothing wrong with a 1400cc middleweight motor unless you like and are used to higher hp and torque V-twins. If Piaggio is happy with the current sales of their 1400cc line, I suspect they'll leave it as is for a while longer. If they're not satisfied with current sales numbers, perhaps they'll build a bike to compete in the big bike market. No muss, no fuss. Ride and justify whatever you desire.

oldbike54

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2018, 10:35:25 PM »
 When did a 1400 CC engine become a middleweight ?

Look , most of that displacement nonsense is just that , nonsense . I don't care how big HD or Indian motors are , a 600 CC Japanese sport bike will suck the mirrors off of any of those behemoths . With big motors comes more weight and heat , if you want one of those stupid beasts , buy one . Fair enough ?

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2018, 09:33:09 AM »
Or unless you're a manufacturer like Piaggio who's gone to Sturgis for 3 years running trying to appeal to people who currently have slightly built 103", 106", 111", 117" engines etc etc etc. Many of those people are used to over 115 RWHP and torque. Some are used to over reliable v-twins engine with over 140 RWHP and torque.

So it's good to have choices. I suspect no one will be forcing more power and torque onto those who don't want it. There's nothing wrong with a 1400cc middleweight motor unless you like and are used to higher hp and torque V-twins. If Piaggio is happy with the current sales of their 1400cc line, I suspect they'll leave it as is for a while longer. If they're not satisfied with current sales numbers, perhaps they'll build a bike to compete in the big bike market. No muss, no fuss. Ride and justify whatever you desire.

And the 1400 smokes all the bikes you mention.  None of which make 115 HP.  Guzzis are about revs, we know most cruiser guys like torque.  Guzzis are Guzzis.  If you want something fast, get a Guzzi.  If you want something that lugs, you're fine on your Victory. 

I don't think Guzzi would sell anymore Californias to the Cruiser crowd in Sturgis if they indeed made an 1800- It ain't made in Amurica.  I've ridden 100+ HP Harley CVO and it shook like a jackhammer.   I've ridden a Victory Vision with stage 2 kit and the limiter kicked in right when I wanted it go.  Neither were sporty as a Cal 1400.

So Guzzi doesn't make an 1800?  I think we knew that before the thread existed.  It's a shame at Sturgis that a Cal14 didn't drag their asses.

Troll away.

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2018, 10:14:25 AM »
"Over reliable v twins producing over 140 Raul...".   Mark, I don't think any real mfg make stock bikes that you describe.

Guzzi makes its mark by not being like the other big twins.   I don't see a free reving 1800+ motor in their future.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2018, 01:24:30 PM »

Mark, none of those bikes make those HP numbers without some serious cash involved.  You could throw the same amount of cash at a 1400 GUZZI and have a much superior handling motorcycle.  I ride a Harley Road Glide Special and what I find interesting is that guys will spend thousands of dollars to get more power out of the big cruisers, but won't spend money on what is really necessary on all those big cruisers and that is suspension upgrades.  It is all about loud and proud and not really about performance.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2018, 02:31:31 PM »
It is all about loud and proud and not really about performance.

I asked nephew (Harley guy) Ricky if he'd even *looked* at the new Guzzis. He just gave me the roll eye..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2018, 06:58:45 PM »
A few raised tensions on here for sure. Absolutely not my intention what so ever. I started this thread to compliment Piaggio for what they're doing with Moto Guzzi on social media.

Where to start? Here we go.

A 1400cc was made middleweight the day the Triumph Rocket 3 came out with it's 2294cc torque monster of a motor. So at least since then and the normalization of engines like the 103 (1687), 106 (1737), 108 (1769), 1800 F6/1800 inline 6, 111 (1818), 113 (1854) etc.

Slightly modified, I know for fact the 106" will consistently lay down 115 in horsepower and torque to the rear wheel. By slightly modified I'm talking about a day in your own garage with $1000 worth of bolt on parts. You want 200 rear wheel horsepower and 245 foot pounds of torque from a bone stock 106? Add a blower for about $5k. Again, in your own garage with basic hand tools.

Yes, an R6 or an R1 will blow the big twins away on some roll on tests and on the highway. So what, I don't want either of those bikes, not at all. They're not my style nor are they in my comfort zone. My wife had a Honda VLX (600 twin) for a while and it was perfect for her in engine size and stature. 

No one "needs" a 'big' v twin. We're talking motorcycles for fun, sport and hobby. I assume people on this forum like the v-twin engine style since that's all Moto Guzzi produces for motorcycles.

If you prefer to call a 1400cc the top end of the middleweight class, go for it. But like I posted above, it's not really in the 'big twin' class anymore. If my wife wanted to stop riding and I was getting a bit too fragile for the size and weight of my Victory Cross Country Tour, I'd very likely be going for a 1400 Moto Guzzi now. Though I did talk to a Guzzi dealer last week about purchasing an Eldorado 1400 and I'll go into that dealer this week to thank him for their effort.

A big motor for bragging rights and noise. Sorry, not me friends. But enjoy your stereotype as you see fit. Though I much preferred the Mistrals on my 1064cc Guzzis to the stock mufflers.

Suspension - Upside down forks and an easily adjusted rear air shock with plenty of suspension travel on both ends = no problem their either. Not all big twins suffer poor factory suspension. 

It's about RPM, not displacement. Really? In my case, the 106 will willingly spin to 6250 before the fun is shut down. You'll never get their in the highest gear though because at 80mph in 6th gear you're only turning at 3000 rpm. 90 = 3500 rpm and 100 = 4000 rpm. Can a V7 go 80, sure it can. But I wouldn't want to ride that bike for 200 miles like that, refill and do it all over again and again and again. Not one or and certainly not two up. And my wife and I are not each 250 pounds either. 

So hopefully we can all agree that Piaggio is doing a good job promoting Moto Guzzi with what they currently have to offer. Though 'I believe' going to Sturgis is more for the moto journalists than the attendees because as is clear, most of the attendees are on much 'bigger' motorcycles. But, like me, they're aging and will someday want a smaller and lighter motorcycle.

I'm also going to continue to hold out hope for Moto Guzzi to introduce a larger displacement engine. Again, if you don't want it, no problem, there are now and will continue to be plenty of available options.

Forza Moto Guzzi!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 07:04:41 PM by TN Mark »

twowings

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2018, 07:19:07 PM »
Designing, testing, certifying, and producing a new engine design is a MAJOR expense for any manufacturer, much less a minor player like Guzzi...since so many other makers dabble in land yachts, why would they bother?

Certainly, nothing Guzzi could concieve of and build is going to change an enconomically-significant number of minds south of the Mason-Dixon line...be happy with your '106' whatever that is and let Guzzi be Guzzi...

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2018, 07:43:03 PM »
Thank you, I am happy with my Victory 106" v twin air/oil cooled motor. That's the engine installed in my Victory Cross Country Tour. Though like I posted, I did talk to a Guzzi dealer last week about purchasing an Eldorado 1400, in red and black.

Guzzi being Guzzi is for Piaggio to decide, not us. With each and every 'bigger' motor Moto Guzzi came out with, I suspect there were many who thought no one 'needs' that big of an engine.

I'm thankful Moto Guzzi and other brands leave it to the buyer, not anyone else, to decide what they like. Success in manufacturing motorcycles is largely determined by the number of units they make people that people want to purchase. Not what others want the buyer to want.

Enjoy your ride.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2018, 07:55:35 PM »
Mark, be happy with your Victory.

Just know that a Cal 1400 will blow you off on a 60mph roll off.

John L 

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2018, 08:37:12 PM »
1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, roll on from whatever to whatever. So what. But be careful with challenges as an R6 will easily blow away a CA 1400 too. Plus many a big v twins are sleepers. If you were roll up on my friend with your peppy and free reving CA 1400 and think, he's on a big barcalounger etc etc etc. Go ahead, make your challenge. You may not notice his 106 is now a 116 with a supercharger tucked away down low. He's putting out over 200 RWhp and over 245 RW foot pounds of torque. Yet his bike is as easy and effortless to ride as could be. Yea, he'll be your huckleberry. You name from what speed to what speed or from what distance to what distance. If I go ahead and add a 117 big block kit mine would move up the scale to about 135/135. Yes, even many H-D's I ride with are sleepers. But they'll not challenge you, they leave that up to you.

At 60mph, my Victory is likely still in 4th gear with more go on tap. No matter how you slice it, 114 foot pounds of table top flat rear wheel torque from 1500 rpm through redline at 6250 is pretty decent. And no, my Victory is by no means what I consider a powerhouse. Nor am I a street racer of any sort. Since I don't know you, make your challenge and I'll wave you on and tell you to enjoy your ride. Of course gearing and tuning play a big part in things. If I go ahead and add a 117 big block kit things on my Victory would move up the scale to about 135/135. I'm not into a show pony as I much prefer a nice looking go pony.

When I first test rode my first Victory 106 I immediately thought it sounded and felt constipated as it was tuned for the EPA, not for the motor. A dyno tune on a box stock 106 makes a world of difference as well. 

twowings

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2018, 08:38:48 PM »
I had a 106 years ago...I guarantee you they are SLOW...

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2018, 08:52:06 PM »
1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, roll on from whatever to whatever. So what. But be careful with challenges as an R6 will easily blow away a CA 1400 too. Plus many a big v twins are sleepers. If you were roll up on my friend with your peppy and free reving CA 1400 and think, he's on a big barcalounger etc etc etc. Go ahead, make your challenge. You may not notice his 106 is now a 116 with a supercharger tucked away down low. He's putting out over 200 RWhp and over 245 RW foot pounds of torque. Yet his bike is as easy and effortless to ride as could be. Yea, he'll be your huckleberry. You name from what speed to what speed or from what distance to what distance. If I go ahead and add a 117 big block kit mine would move up the scale to about 135/135. Yes, even many H-D's I ride with are sleepers. But they'll not challenge you, they leave that up to you.

At 60mph, my Victory is likely still in 4th gear with more go on tap. No matter how you slice it, 114 foot pounds of table top flat rear wheel torque from 1500 rpm through redline at 6250 is pretty decent. And no, my Victory is by no means what I consider a powerhouse. Nor am I a street racer of any sort. Since I don't know you, make your challenge and I'll wave you on and tell you to enjoy your ride. Of course gearing and tuning play a big part in things. If I go ahead and add a 117 big block kit things on my Victory would move up the scale to about 135/135. I'm not into a show pony as I much prefer a nice looking go pony.

When I first test rode my first Victory 106 I immediately thought it sounded and felt constipated as it was tuned for the EPA, not for the motor. A dyno tune on a box stock 106 makes a world of difference as well.

I just saw the video that was posted here.  No experience.  But it did pull all the bigger bikes for 60mph roll ons.   :whip2:

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/baggers-brawl

If you want a bigger engine, I'd go for 117.   :evil:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 08:52:51 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2018, 08:52:26 PM »
Mark TN,  What is the world coming to when 1400cc is considered middleweight?  My '77 XS750 with full touring accessories was considered a continental touring bike.

Today 600 - 800 cc is considered middleweight.

You must be limiting your discussion only to cruiser motorcycles when you refer to 1400cc as middleweight.  There are many more motorcycles than cruisers out there.

Also, you would be better off spending the first $1000 on suspension components on most cruisers made before you spent the first dollar on making the cruiser more powerful and out ride the budget suspension.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

oldbike54

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2018, 08:59:05 PM »
 So what , I had one of those Vincent Black Widows , you know , the one the Govt outlawed because it would do like 220 MPH , you can ask my wife , she was on the back one time on I 40 when one of them there 438  Hemi Barracudas wanted to race , why we was still in 2nd gear when that Barracuda just plum ran outta speed .

I mean as long as we are tellin' stories  :shocked: :laugh:

Dusty

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2018, 09:39:32 PM »
Mark, you are never going to win this, you have to know that.   Guzzi are cool, others have their attractions, but they still aren't Guzzi cool.    You want Guzzi to make a big barge to make your wife happy?  Maybe they will make one someday,  but I hope not, that's not where they come from.  There are lots of good choices for hauling  butts around.

Remember when you were happy with a 850? Then a 1000, then a 1100 Bassa ( really only 1064cc) was everything you wanted?  Then 1200, and perhaps more?   Now you're sitting on something like 1740cc.  Are you happy now? Sounds like you want more.  When will it stop, 5000cc, I doubt it, wouldn't 5050 be even better?
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2018, 09:42:06 PM »
In 1977 even Moto Guzzi have a 1000cc bagger with the Convert and then the G5. So, the 750 tourer was a middleweight back then. Does Moto Guzzi use the 1400cc in anything but a cruiser/bagger/tourer? The sheer volume of cruisers/baggers/tourers being sold in the US have engines so much larger than a 1400cc that it makes even a 1400cc a middleweight by today's standard. It's at the top of the middleweight range but, IMHO, it's still clearly a middleweight. If you don't like that, call it a light heavyweight and be done with it.

Anyone who leaves a 106 box stock is or has missed out on a much better running engine. Slightly modified as I've posted a few times already will reward the rider with half the felt engine heat, +3 mpg and a whole lot more fun.

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2018, 09:49:48 PM »
OK boys, pull em out, let's have a big dick contest.
Blue Guzz

oldbike54

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2018, 09:55:39 PM »
 We had this discussion before , only the brands were different . Moto Guzzi isn't HD or Polarindian , same as it isn't Honda . The argument for an ever larger motor is circular , and largely nonsensical . First , who cares if some supercharged big twin makes 245 HP , that is nothing more than a number. Maybe HD and Polarindian should build a motorbike that will bend corners like a Moto Guzzi . Anyone can twist a throttle and go fast in a straight line , so what .

Dusty

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2018, 09:58:18 PM »
Mark, you are never going to win this, you have to know that.   Guzzi are cool, others have their attractions, but they still aren't Guzzi cool.    You want Guzzi to make a big barge to make your wife happy?  Maybe they will make one someday,  but I hope not, that's not where they come from.  There are lots of good choices for hauling  butts around.

Remember when you were happy with a 850? Then a 1000, then a 1100 Bassa ( really only 1064cc) was everything you wanted?  Then 1200, and perhaps more?   Now you're sitting on something like 1740cc.  Are you happy now? Sounds like you want more.  When will it stop, 5000cc, I doubt it, wouldn't 5050 be even better?

Chad,

I'm not trying to 'win' anything. I'm just posting facts and my experience as I know it from 50 years of riding. Yes, I did love my Bassa but it was wholly underpowered in way too many riding conditions in my book. The 1200 Griso? A fun and sporty small bike for someone under 5'9" and 160 pounds. Yes, I certainly do think Moto Guzzi is a cool brand. That's why I'm considering buying another one. There are cool emotional factors and there are real world realities. Motorcycles are a series of choices and compromises.

I'm not trying to promote the Victory brand and be their cheerleader either. It's a dead brand with nothing new coming for them. But remember back many years if you will when your mother, sister or cousin got their first hand held hair dryer. How successful would anyone have been back then saying pay no attention to that convenience and use a hand towel because that's good enough. Or mechanical brakes, point ignition and window down air conditioning. Once a person experiences 'nicer' then what they had before, it's a tough move going back. No sense in denying the realities of the world in which we live.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 10:40:23 PM by TN Mark »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2018, 06:04:12 AM »
I don't know who and where this data was compiled but according to this site, https://www.zeroto60times.com/body-style/motorcycle/

the Indian Scout is a quicker motorcycle than all the other Indians and it is a baby Vtwin.

Even the Ninja 250R from 1986 is faster than most passenger cars on the road.

The argument that bigger is better is not a valid argument.

Power to weight ratios, balance, handling, etc. are more important than displacement when you consider a ride that is engaging.

You add more displacement means more weight which than requires a beefier frame, better suspension, bigger brakes, larger tires, etc. 

Different rides for different purposes.  If all you do is drone down the interstate than bigger and bulkier will fit the bill.

If you enjoy the 2 lane curvy roads then light and nimble rule the day.  I for one am glad that there are choices out there for every type of rider and riding style.  For my current riding wants the V7III and the Road Glide Special cover all.  One for enjoying the 2 lane back roads solo, and one for going the distance and hauling gear and my wife when she wants to come along.  The Road Glide Special doesn't go on roads that don't have a painted center line. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2018, 08:19:59 AM »
This is good discussion. I love it.  I also love facts, numbers and visuals.  So, I thought I'd do a little bit of quick research and throw together my own comparisons. I compared Cubic Inches, HP, Torque, Acceleration, Weight, Ground Clearance and Lean Angles on the 4 baggers that I thought mattered and were relevant here.

Transparency; I care way more about weight (lighter), acceleration, ground clearance and lean angles here in the land of a million hairpins called the Ozark Mountains. HP and torque are nice too, but not the highest thing on my list.  I'll also say again that if I wanted a bike for continuous cross country 2-up touring, I'd choose none of the bikes listed here. I'd buy a Goldwing for that. Not taking away from any of these bikes 2-up capabilities, but if I did any type of lots of miles 2 up, I'd choose comfort over a lot other specs. Luckily, my wife rides her own bike, so that will not be a conversation in the near future.

That said, here is what I found. Various sources and I compared these numbers from at least 3 different sites. Numbers and facts don't lie. I'll shut up now and let the picture do the talking. Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just reporting what is out there for everyone to see.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 08:49:22 AM by Luap McKeever »
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

oldbike54

« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2018, 09:25:40 AM »
 Ruh roh Reorge  :laugh:

Yeah , seems those bigger"better" V twins need a bunch of help to keep up with that poor pathetic "little" 1400 CC Guzzi  :evil:

Dusty

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2018, 09:52:35 AM »
This is good discussion. I love it.  I also love facts, numbers and visuals.  So, I thought I'd do a little bit of quick research and throw together my own comparisons. I compared Cubic Inches, HP, Torque, Acceleration, Weight, Ground Clearance and Lean Angles on the 4 baggers that I thought mattered and were relevant here.

Transparency; I care way more about weight (lighter), acceleration, ground clearance and lean angles here in the land of a million hairpins called the Ozark Mountains. HP and torque are nice too, but not the highest thing on my list.  I'll also say again that if I wanted a bike for continuous cross country 2-up touring, I'd choose none of the bikes listed here. I'd buy a Goldwing for that. Not taking away from any of these bikes 2-up capabilities, but if I did any type of lots of miles 2 up, I'd choose comfort over a lot other specs. Luckily, my wife rides her own bike, so that will not be a conversation in the near future.

That said, here is what I found. Various sources and I compared these numbers from at least 3 different sites. Numbers and facts don't lie. I'll shut up now and let the picture do the talking. Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just reporting what is out there for everyone to see.

And that is not even looking at suspension components.  Suspension travel, adjustability,  etc. 

If I were to choose among those 4 offerings I would choose the flying fortress.

I chose the roadglide because I prefer frame mounted fairings.  I might choose the new goldwing next , but would not choose the last 1800 wing over my Road Glide.
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2018, 03:51:30 PM »

I agree with most of what you said, except the Gold Wing part. In 2013 when we bought the Victory we did look at the Wings. All my wife heard was "heated backrest" and she was 'sold'. But I wasn't ready for a Wing at that time and certainly not now with the new revised Wing. If all I cared about was being fast I'd not have ever owned a Victory Cross Country Tour. Most of my mileage is on the highway one up or two up. Even though, living in the Chattanooga area, we have some of the most beautiful hills, valleys and mountains to be found. All within a very easy and short ride from where I live.

When we bought the Victory I thought that since the trunk comes off in about 3 minutes total, I'd use it without the trunk and only use the trunk when my wife was with me. Truth be told, the trunk has only been off for about a 1000 miles of 60,000 on it.

There are so many motorcycles of all engine sizes that are much more powerful than either your 1400 or my 106 that we simply can't go by engine size alone. Though what I do like about the 106, even now with them being a dead brand, is the pathway is easy and relatively inexpensive to bolt on power. It's also still readily available. As I've said, the 106 in stock form is very underwhelming. To me, it sounded and performed like it was constipated. Of course it was, it was tuned strictly to pass EPA regulations. But since it's an overhead cam, 4 valve engine, it benefits greatly with the low hanging fruit of cams, air filter, slip on mufflers and a dyno tune.

If all goes well, I'll be looking at an Eldorado tomorrow. Though the more I see the MGX-21 the more I like it. I believe Moto Guzzi did a great job on it. I also look forward to maybe the second generation of all the current 1400's. But if they'd make the MGX-21 in a gloss pearl white I'd have a difficult time resisting. Until my wife reminded me how much she likes the back seat of the Victory.

Ride well my friend,

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here