Author Topic: quickly tell me your quota horror stories  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Warren Rhen

• Hatchling
quickly tell me your quota horror stories
« on: July 13, 2018, 01:23:11 AM »
There's one on ebay and I'm tempted. Do I want one  of these with my 28.5 inseam??
Cheers,
Warren
16 Piaggio BV 350
86 Citroen 2CV6 Dolly
18 Dodge Charger R/T

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
Re: quickly tell me your quota horror stories
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 06:10:17 AM »
28.5" will be tough.  I can just flatfoot at 32", and that's with a seat made up 3/8" lower than stock.

No horror stories to pass along, though.  I like mine.  It does nothing great, but does everything well.  It's a fantastic touring bike.

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 07:27:18 AM »
here's some threads. I tend to notice Quota threads. Pour a cup o' joe and do some reading. Nick949 gives a thorough report on his experience. Anything he writes is worth your time regardless of topic, but in this case doubly so.

There is another recent thread that I cannot find at the moment, where our good Mr Roper gives a sobering assessment of the model in general. Also worth considering and fits well with your initial request.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=91127.0

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=74586.0

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=90199.0
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 08:06:21 AM »
The search function sucks any more, or I'd post Pete's rant.  :smiley: It was only a week or two ago. Of course, there is some truth to it,  :grin:  but I didn't have any of those problems with Darth Quota, although Darth was not "stock."
To address your concerns about the high seat.. I am one of those "orrible midgets" (Peteism) too. There are narrower seats in the front, and that helps. Just the same, I had to be *very* careful where I stopped, because it was a one foot tip toe affair. Maybe a little shifting in the saddle. If there was a slope, forget about it. Once rolling of course.. it was fine.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 08:06:21 AM »

Offline hauto

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 11:15:04 AM »
The one your looking at on ebay use to be mine.Motor is solid and it has a new clutch in it.I know what he paid for it and can guess what he wants to get out of it.With shipping you'll be in it more than you could ever sell it for.I still have another quota that I ride and enjoy.As for seat height,I dropped the forks 5mm and made a shorter(3mm) rear link and it fits me nice(5-7 30 inseam).As for the quota,it's the SUV of motorcycles.Do it all,tour,off road,around town.There is a good thread over at ADV rider if you want more info.

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 11:24:59 AM »
Chuck, I think this is Pete's post you were looking for.
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=96882.0

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 11:37:18 AM »
Do I want one  of these with my 28.5 inseam??

To be perfectly blunt, no.  You do not.  32.5" seat height and 540-lbs weight.  If you're comfortable with motocross-style one-footing at stops on a heavy bike, then maybe.

I owned one and liked it.  Wind management sucks.  Lots of buffeting.  The side deflectors from Gustafsson really helped.

Gearing is too tall for this type of bike.  It could really benefit from 7/33 rear gearing.

Very comfortable long-travel suspension.  Decent handling and brakes.  Good luggage carrying ability.  And, the ability to travel on any road make it a nice all-around bike that allowed me to explore way off the pavement when travelling out west.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 11:44:32 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 11:58:36 AM »
There's one on ebay and I'm tempted. Do I want one  of these with my 28.5 inseam??

I'd be inclined to agree with Rocker59. It is a tall bike - about perfect for my 34 inch inseam, but I can imagine it would be a bit of handful for those shorter in leg. Other than that, it's a fine bike and very easy to ride long distances. Personally, I like the tall gearing, although I spend more time in 4th than 5th.

Nick

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 06:54:53 PM »
I'd be inclined to agree with Rocker59. It is a tall bike - about perfect for my 34 inch inseam, but I can imagine it would be a bit of handful for those shorter in leg. Other than that, it's a fine bike and very easy to ride long distances. Personally, I like the tall gearing, although I spend more time in 4th than 5th.

Nick

I think I've mentioned before, but I had the tall and short rear end ratio boxes. For everyday canyon carving (with a Quota?? yes) the short one rocks. Out on the interstate traveling.. no.
They were interchangeable in a few minutes..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline asquaredgray

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 10:12:42 PM »
I recently bought one. I’m really happy with it. I’m 5’10”, approx 32” inseam.  The balls of both feet touch the ground when stopped on level ground.

Mine does have the 7/33 rear drive.  I can’t imagine it with taller gearing. I’d definitely buy it again.  If I had a shorter inseam, I’d probably do mods to make it more stable at stops. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'00 1100ES Quota

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here