Author Topic: Cali 3 project - Using 3ohm single fire coils with points ?  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Misterb

• New Egg
Cali 3 project - Using 3ohm single fire coils with points ?
« on: August 24, 2016, 06:42:44 PM »
Hi all,

My never ending Cali 3 based café project has hit another snag.. namely the coils. The originals were cracked when I got the bike as a non runner, so I bought a couple of Lucas 5 ohm coils (cheap but I'd read they work well enough). I'd hoped to either fit them between the carbs, just behind the tank, or under the tank behind the headstock. The problem is that they are bigger than the OE coils, and wont fit in either location. Well, they may fit, but not without changing a lot of the work already done, and looking cr*p.

The answer could be to fit a single fire ignition coil.. essentially two coils in one body, which being much smaller would fit the bike much better. The bike runs its OE point ignition, so ideally it needs 5 ohm coils, but I can only find 3 ohm single fire coils (as used in the Harley aftermarket). I've read on here some confusing info on running 3 ohm coils with points.. they'll be fine, or no they'll get too hot and fail in no time.

Another reason for going for 3 ohm coils is that I may decide to fit electronic ignition at some point in the future, which in turn needs 3 ohm coils.

What are your thoughts on going with the 3 ohm single fire / points ignition option?   A good idea or not??

Here's a pic of the bike as it looks at the moment..

Offline Ariel

• New Egg
Re: Cali 3 project - Using 3ohm single fire coils with points ?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 10:01:01 PM »
If you are using the original points, then use 3 ohms coils.
Don't forget to use fresh condensers too.

Ariel
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 10:01:39 PM by Ariel »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 10:55:53 PM »
So you're proposing to fire a single, dual-fire coil at the two plugs using both sets of points?  I'm not objecting, I'm just trying to understand what you're doing.

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 03:20:14 AM »
I don't understand what is meant by Dual coil, the term can be used to denote different things

If its 2 coils in one body then its............Errr ....2 coils, if its one primary and 2 secondaries then its a bit different

I would guess 3 Ohm with points would be fine, with some electronic systems possibly not a good idea. The 3 Ohm coil will charge faster but take more current in doing so, unless the electronic ignition is designed to handle it you could fry it. I've heard lots of stories on here about burnt out Dynas with 3 Ohm coils.

Next is it a dual spark? i.e. does the left side fire when the right requires a spark and vice versa? If so it will work but its not so smart an idea, when the LH cylinder requires a spark the RH is on induction, it can lead to blow back, which has, in the past cooked more than one Goose

That said there are bikes out there quite happily running wasted spark without issue

Welcome I've followed your work on the Duc forum and its very nice indeed............. ....you'll get great advice here (but not necessarily from me)

John

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 03:20:14 AM »

Offline Misterb

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 04:12:39 AM »
To be clear, the single fire coil I had in mind would be an aftermarket HD coil, designed to fire the two spark plugs individually using a matching aftermarket ignition module, rather than the conventional (for HD) wasted spark coil where both plugs are fire at the same time. It sounds as if I can indeed use a 3 ohm single fire coil with the OE points, so that's what I'll go ahead with.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 04:26:50 AM »
I'm not saying rule out electronic (I'm a fan, although its one of these topics, like Oil, that polarizes folks)

I would stay clear of Dyna with a 3 Ohm coil, I'm just saying what I'd do and that's specifically ask if the system is suitable for use with a 3 Ohm coil(s) before purchase

I've never come across the type of coil you refer to, but that's my ignorance.

This is one of the VERY best forums to get info on all aspects of Guzzis.

Guys here have helped me out loads of times when I've had all sorts of queer questions to ask and its always led to a satisfactory outcome

Gettin ma coat

John 

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 07:10:07 AM »
When my green Dyna coil failed (with a Dyna module) I went to VW coils.  A bit bigger but they work.  And, the Dyna coils were not burned out.  The PO had mounted one so it rubbed on the frame.  Eventually it rubbed enough to short the coil.

The key with Dyna ignitions, as far as I can tell, is that a coil may be energized when you turn the key on.  If you leave it sit that way it will burn out the coil.  As long as you start the bike once you turn on the ignition they will do fine, at least mine did.

PS actually answering the question, yes, I understand 3ohm coils work just fine with points.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 07:11:51 AM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 09:40:21 AM »
Should add that wasted spark seems to work on Beemers but has been the cause of Guzzis burning to the ground so DON'T use that system.
3ohm coils are the standard fare.

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 10:52:23 AM »
Hi all,

My never ending Cali 3 based café project has hit another snag.. namely the coils. The originals were cracked when I got the bike as a non runner, so I bought a couple of Lucas 5 ohm coils (cheap but I'd read they work well enough). I'd hoped to either fit them between the carbs, just behind the tank, or under the tank behind the headstock. The problem is that they are bigger than the OE coils, and wont fit in either location. Well, they may fit, but not without changing a lot of the work already done, and looking cr*p.

The answer could be to fit a single fire ignition coil.. essentially two coils in one body, which being much smaller would fit the bike much better. The bike runs its OE point ignition, so ideally it needs 5 ohm coils, but I can only find 3 ohm single fire coils (as used in the Harley aftermarket). I've read on here some confusing info on running 3 ohm coils with points.. they'll be fine, or no they'll get too hot and fail in no time.

Another reason for going for 3 ohm coils is that I may decide to fit electronic ignition at some point in the future, which in turn needs 3 ohm coils.

What are your thoughts on going with the 3 ohm single fire / points ignition option?   A good idea or not??

Here's a pic of the bike as it looks at the moment..

Something like this will work.  Mount it in front of the engine under the steering neck.  Or under the tank.  Guzzi owner cheap.  Don't buy the one with s.s. on it. These can be had for less than $50.oo. 

http://www.blazenauto.com/store/10a-346333011-B00II6O2FW-Hi_Performance_Single_Fire_Super_Coil_for_Harley_Davidson_Motorcycles_3_Ohm.html

http://www.partsgiant.com/p317766-s-and-s-high-output-single-fire-coil?gclid=CObr_uT13M4CFZKKaQodD1YMzg
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 10:55:35 AM by Orange Guzzi »

Offline Misterb

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 11:34:39 AM »
Something like this will work.  Mount it in front of the engine under the steering neck.  Or under the tank.  Guzzi owner cheap.  Don't buy the one with s.s. on it. These can be had for less than $50.oo. 

http://www.blazenauto.com/store/10a-346333011-B00II6O2FW-Hi_Performance_Single_Fire_Super_Coil_for_Harley_Davidson_Motorcycles_3_Ohm.html

http://www.partsgiant.com/p317766-s-and-s-high-output-single-fire-coil?gclid=CObr_uT13M4CFZKKaQodD1YMzg

yes, that's the type I'm looking to fit, I have the same single fire coils fitted to another of my road bikes, and my HD drag bike, both work well. I'll probably make a mount to fit it on top of the engine towards the front..

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here