Author Topic: How was your day  (Read 510117 times)

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Re: How was your day
« Reply #1740 on: March 10, 2018, 03:59:48 AM »
I told Austin that the two most dangerous tools in the shop are a drill press and a common screwdriver. I don't think he believed me on that screwdriver thing. So what did he do?  :rolleyes: Fortunately didn't require stitches, although you could see stuff moving around under the wound. Patched him up as best I could and took him to his mom, who is a nurse..

I think we have all skewered ourselves at some point Chuck. :rolleyes: Keep this up and his mom might not let him near your place! :grin:

Dusty, if it is going tits up again I will spew. I have no idea why it would. When we replaced the faulty pre-select lever Steamdriven and myself painstakingly checked everything. Kev is an aircraft engineer and most certainly knows what he is doing. Surely not even Luigi would send out two sets of faulty gears...... :undecided:

At least the mileage is higher than when it first shat itself.

Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #1741 on: March 11, 2018, 01:08:19 PM »
We've had a nice weekend. On Friday I got the Mille and the F650 running and on Saturday morning took the small bike about 10 miles out Minnesota Creek Road into grazing territory.

Got home and Gail wanted a ride, so we did the Crawford-Hotchkiss loop on the Mille. Photo is the scenic Kroger's parking lot in Hotchkiss. Heading out again this afternoon for a two-up exploratory toward Lamborn Mesa.

how to post a picture in a forum online site

We've determined that the rectangular pannier boxes aren't big enough for both of us so I guess that puts me in the market for a Hepco Becker rig to fit the Mille. Moto Machines has the rack and 42-liter boxes side boxes for about a grand. Any other recommendations?
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

oldbike54

« Reply #1742 on: March 11, 2018, 01:20:28 PM »
 Seth , are there larger aluminum panniers that will use your existing mounts ?

Glad you got out , that part of Colorado has some great areas to explore  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #1743 on: March 11, 2018, 01:25:30 PM »
I might be making headway getting a squatter out of my property in Sitka.  He failed to pay any rent or utilities for the period he's been there (since November), failed to do the repairs he agreed to, sold 200 gallons of heating oil without permission, sold my remaining goods on the property and kept the money, and apparently abandoned the place in January.  When I sent a guy over to confirm that, the locks had been changed and the squatter had not sent me any keys.  The house appeared dark and cold, and there was evidence of --um-- "partying" on the secluded back porch.  The rules say a tenant is responsible for the basic security and well being of a property, and also that you can't lock your landlord out of the house.  Specifically, that a tenant can't change the keys without delivering a set to the landlord.  Cops of course called it a civil matter. 

So I agreed to lease the place to another party.  They tried to get in yesterday only to discover the squatter had returned that same day -- after having disappeared for two months, refusing any communications, and still not paying his way.  He refused them entry, even though they were given written authorization by me to be there.  We huddled up and decided the best course of action was to have them change out the locks as a landlord's agent, in the interest of securing the property and getting the landlord (me) a set of keys.  They'd be authorized to change locks, but not to distribute keys -- the squatter would have to contact me to get any.

The situation may have somewhat resolved itself last night.  I've had multiple reports this morning of a police action at or near my property involving multiple officers, drawn guns, and an arrest.  I've yet to hear from Sitka PD, but the witnesses seem to think my squatter was their target.  Since this would not be the first encounter between our hero and the cops, he's probably there for the remainder of the weekend -- a perfect opportunity to get the property secured without anyone getting hurt or arrested.

I'm a poor judge of character.   :embarrassed:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #1743 on: March 11, 2018, 01:25:30 PM »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1744 on: March 11, 2018, 02:17:42 PM »
We used to have a rental property RK years ago. Pleased we don't have one now. The good tenants are still good, the bad ones seem to be much worse than they used to be. It has not been made any better by our Gummint passing legislation that basically makes tenants not liable for any damage, wilful or not. Mum and Dad landlords are leaving the market in droves, so now we have a rental property shortage. :rolleyes:
03 Breva

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #1745 on: March 11, 2018, 02:29:12 PM »
In most US states, and I assume Alaska, the laws are written largely to protect the landlord. That said it can be tough to get the sheriff to intervene on your behalf. There are also some weird laws allowing certain enforcement agencies to seize property if a tenant has been dealing or even possessing illegal drugs there.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #1746 on: March 11, 2018, 03:00:16 PM »
Seth , are there larger aluminum panniers that will use your existing mounts ?

Hi, Dusty.  I don't think I'll find anything to fit the rack system I have, bought on eBay. It uses a couple of vertical slots on the top back of the box that slip over a pair of mushroom-shaped studs on the top rail of a rectangular rack. The bottom is secured by latches.

No brand name to be found anywhere on the rig. Valise-style ABS boxes are 32 liters each.

I'll move this to a new thread.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #1747 on: March 11, 2018, 05:30:27 PM »
In most US states, and I assume Alaska, the laws are written largely to protect the landlord. That said it can be tough to get the sheriff to intervene on your behalf. There are also some weird laws allowing certain enforcement agencies to seize property if a tenant has been dealing or even possessing illegal drugs there.

I'm hoping for a much lower level of drama than that.   :shocked:

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1748 on: March 11, 2018, 10:34:39 PM »
I'm hoping for a much lower level of drama than that.   :shocked:

Insert fingers crossed icon. Hope it all turns out ok for you; would be good if they could legally force him to cough up with the unpaid rent.
03 Breva

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #1749 on: March 12, 2018, 12:52:40 AM »
Seth, those are Paciico  bags. Same company that made the H&H fairings.

oldbike54

« Reply #1750 on: March 16, 2018, 10:36:15 PM »
 Pretty good day , and just got better . UMBC just beat Virginia in the tournament , making history . First time a 16 seed has  beat a 1 seed , and the overall 1 seed at that . The boys from Baltimore should all take a bow  :thumb:

Dusty

pete roper

« Reply #1751 on: March 17, 2018, 05:42:16 AM »
Well I sold my small tank Stelvio that I bought and rollerised and prepped for sale by doing all the things the factory couldn't. Turned a small profit into the bargain :thumb: Time to order up the hookers and start using the Coke as talcum powder I suppose! What with orphan Guzzis being such a fantastic money spinner........

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #1752 on: March 17, 2018, 09:27:56 PM »
Marvelous thanks Dusty. Drove 855 miles door to door to pick up this:

Panther M120. Now I can relive my misspent youth.

Nick

PS No Guzzi were sold or otherwise damaged during this transaction.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 10:00:17 PM by nick949 »

oldbike54

« Reply #1753 on: March 17, 2018, 09:47:51 PM »
Marvelous thanks Dusty. Drove 855 door to door to pick up this:

Nick

A "Sloper" , very cool Nick  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #1754 on: March 17, 2018, 11:20:35 PM »
The Hubs and I took a 50+ mile ride on the Metropolitans (longest to date) to a "scooter care clinic" in Scottsdale.  Then this evening I got a call from Scott, a salesman from a competing dealership in Chandler, saying he scored me the black Moto Guzzi banner that used to hang on the sales floor!

Tomorrow, we will ride the bikes to breakfast, then drop by the aforementioned dealer to pick up my new lady-cave wall art.   

Life is good! :bike-037: 
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Online balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1755 on: March 18, 2018, 04:14:18 AM »
Gal
I'll say it is :grin: Good score :thumb:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline Peter949

• PeterCaliII
  • Hatchling
  • 84 Cali II
« Reply #1756 on: March 18, 2018, 07:44:48 AM »
That is great that you found a Panther 120.  :thumb:   Is it the same model that you rode 2 up on your tour of Scotland that is described in your 1st book?

Peter  :bike-037:
Peter

1984  Cali II
Aprilia 125 Sportcity Scooter

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1757 on: March 18, 2018, 02:31:30 PM »
Marvelous thanks Dusty. Drove 855 miles door to door to pick up this:

Nick

I assume you got it to put a chair on it Nick?
03 Breva

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1758 on: March 18, 2018, 02:38:04 PM »
lady-cave wall art.   
  :thumb:

A sloper, eh? After Armageddon, the only thing left will be slopers and cockroaches..  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1759 on: March 18, 2018, 02:45:39 PM »
  :thumb:

A sloper, eh? After Armageddon, the only thing left will be slopers and cockroaches..  :smiley:

.... and phone calls from a resort company telling me I've won a Free Vacation!   :shocked:
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline nick949

• Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #1760 on: March 18, 2018, 02:47:54 PM »
Peter. Its the same as I had while at college in 1970. The one I describe in the book was an earlier one (1950) I had in my teens.

Muzz..No chair, especially not one of those ghastly double adults.

Chuck...they do have that reputation. I got it started today after it lying dormant for four years...I think you are right.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1761 on: March 19, 2018, 03:02:33 AM »
There is a film about two old guys from NZ, Des Molloy and Dick Huurdeman who did a trip which they called, "The Last Hurrah" from Beijing to Arnhem. The bikes they used were a 1965 Panther called Penelope and a '54 600 single Norton "Dutch Courage". Absolutely brilliant.

Des's son Steve was backup and videoed the trip. A book was also written. Would be right up your ally Nick.
03 Breva

Offline stonelover

• Gosling
« Reply #1762 on: March 20, 2018, 09:24:08 AM »
The first day of Spring & it is snowing in Wild, Wonderful West Virginia!  Forecasts expect the heaviest of the year.  Looks as though I'' be using my battery tender for a while.

kirby1923

« Reply #1763 on: March 20, 2018, 10:15:12 AM »
Vernal Equinox. March 20th First day of the riding season (most places). Went for a ride on the RE, yipeeee.

It is true that on the equinox, the sun rises exactly due east and sets exactly due west. This is true no matter the location on Earth, good way to check my mag compass (on the moto). Sorta.

A second known fact is that the first day of spring has roughly has the same length of day and night around the world, with typically five to seven more minutes of daylight, according to Berman.  "The time of equal day and night actually happens about four or five days earlier than the equinox," unknown.

Lastly, during vernal equinox, the sun's movement across the sky occurs in a straight line as opposed to a curved shape.

Go figure!!

For amusement be sure to balance those eggs on their nose..Ha!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 12:26:03 PM by kirby1923 »

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1764 on: March 20, 2018, 01:37:57 PM »
More like my laugh of the day:

GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

oldbike54

« Reply #1765 on: March 20, 2018, 02:43:12 PM »
 ^^^ Now that's funny right there , I don't care who ya are  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline nick949

• Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #1766 on: March 23, 2018, 05:40:12 PM »
Another good one Dusty.

On the way back from getting the Panther last weekend, we passed quite of few of these ice falls and I'd decided that on the next warm day I'd ride up and snap a few pictures. This wasn't it  :grin:  186 miles on chilly, dry roads. But worth it.  Convert is bloody marvelous!

Nick

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #1767 on: March 23, 2018, 05:44:49 PM »

I bought a new to me scooter and cramed it into my minivan.   :grin:

Life is GOOD!
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1768 on: March 23, 2018, 06:52:29 PM »
You are having way too much fun, GG.. :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #1769 on: March 23, 2018, 07:47:12 PM »
I see 2 scoots for sale in the near future. 150? 250/ 300/?
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here