Author Topic: Breva 1100 windshield mounting hardware  (Read 1895 times)

Doppelgaenger

Breva 1100 windshield mounting hardware
« on: July 02, 2015, 12:44:20 AM »
Hi all

I have a new (to me) breva 1100 windshield from Mayor_of_BBQ and I don't have the mounting hardware.

Does anyone know what size bolts and spacers are needed to install it? I was told by Micha at Moto International that the bolt on the left side of the bike has to be a specific size or it will break the ignition lock and I don't want to screw it up. I bought 35mm stainless M6-1.0s and while they fit the holes, the spacers I got aren't working

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

Offline Mackers

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Five miles or 1000ft...how hard can it be?
    • Motoguzzimackers Moto Guzzi Diaries
Re: Breva 1100 windshield mounting hardware
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 04:13:07 AM »
Hi Doppelgaenger,

I have the original instructions for mounting the screen on my B11 in front of me.  The screws required are M6x35 with a small "safety washer" and a larger "support washer".  There are two bushes but unfortunately they're described as "short" for the front headlight screw and "long"  for the rear screw.  Both screws have a tightening torque of 6.64ftlb (9 Nm).  There's no mention of the ignition lock. 

If I get the chance, I'll try and extract the long bush and measure its length.
Raymond Massey:  "No doctor, I think this calls for something special. 
                  I think, perhaps, the Melbourne Method!".

Peter Lorre:  "Not the Melbourne Method!!  Please!!"

- Arsenic and Old Lace, 1944.

('06 Breva 1100 and '02 Cali EV - '01 Metal Stone deceased).

Offline menzies

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 07:46:42 AM »
I did the same thing, you have to have the 4 bushes to make it work. Check with Harpers to see if they can source them for you or point you in the right direction to a supplier who can match them up from stock they have.
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2007 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 11:23:07 AM »
Here is how I was able to mount it WITHOUT the MG kit of spacers and T-bush

1st
if you are worried about bolt length hitting something it shouldn't, the answer there is buy replacement bolts that are no longer than:
(length of current bolt + thickness of bracket + thickness of spacer)
If the bolt is only the stock length + the thickness of whatever you add for spacing, it can't possible go deeper than the stock bolt, right?

2nd
first remove the bolts at the bracket mount points on one side... The headlight bucket bolt & the upper bolt at the rear of the 'ear'
Now you can figure out what the stock bolt size is...  I think they are both m6 but different lengths, I cannot remember exactly.

3rd
mount the bracket on one side, connect it at the headlight bucket first. I used a rubber washer between the bracket & the headlight ear just to avoid marring the powdercoat on the headlight ear. The bolt should only be stock length + the thickness of the bracket & rubber washer right? and don't overtighten it because the headlight bucket is plastic, right?

4th
With the front mount flush at the headlight, you will see how much of a spacer you need between the rearmost mounting tab of the bracket & the mounting hole there.
I used spacers like this from ace hardware

I cannot remember 100% but I believe I ended up using the zinc one in this pic.. all of these were in my toolbox and I can't exactly recall. (You can also see the rubber washer I used between the headlight & front bracket mount in this pic)
You also want to secure this with a bolt that is no longer than = STOCK+Spacerthickness+bracketthickness

5th
you cannot find the MG mounting kit for sale for love or money.  All you need are
*two headlight bolts, with rubber washers...  just a few MM longer than stock
*two spacers about 5-10mm thick to space the rear bracket off the headlight ears
*two bolts for the rear mounts that are "stock length + spacer thickness + bracket thickness" long

I hope that helps  :thumb:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 11:27:27 AM by Mayor_of_BBQ »
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 11:23:07 AM »

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 09:11:15 PM »
Ended up getting it done with the parts I'd bought. My problem was that the screws weren't starting in the holes due to slight allignment issues between the headlight cheek pieces and the mounting bracket (the cheek pieces are purely decorative). I used the two existing front headlight screws to attach the left side because the 35mm M6-1.0 I'd bought was touching the ignition tumbler before it was tight. Do not use bolts longer than 25mm in the rear left side or you will damage the ignition system.

I used Bronze flanged sleeve bearings as spacers and they are a nice color and won't rust, not that you can see them... 

For future reference, this is what you need to buy:

2x M6-1.0 x 25mm stainless screws (four are needed, two are already on the bike)
2x 1/4 inch bronze flanged sleeve bearings
4x M6 stainless washers
2x 1/4 inch rubber washers for the front as suggested by Mayor_of_BBQ
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 09:14:55 PM by Doppelgaenger »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here