Author Topic: WV Mountain Guzzi Rally 2017 - Sept. 29th-Oct. 1st  (Read 3713 times)

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
WV Mountain Guzzi Rally 2017 - Sept. 29th-Oct. 1st
« on: September 01, 2017, 04:41:13 PM »
From Lemuel:

Hi everyone

It's that time of year again and this year with the first of October falling on a Sunday we'll be meeting about a week earlier than we normally do. No idea what that means for the weather, but I hope it's positive.

This will be the 12th annual rally at Pipestem State Park. I've been hesitating to say this, but due to declining number of attendees, this could be the last. So please, try to attend, invite someone to come with you. There's no rally fee, Friday dinner is on us and it's a beautiful venue with lots to do and great roads if you want to keep riding after you arrive.

I would appreciate it very much if you let me know asap if you plan to attend or not. Helps Carolyn tremendously with her dinner preparation. I've attached an online registration form and a schedule of events. Complete the registration and return to me asap if you would.  Feel free to forward this email to anyone you feel would be interested. Anyone who has attended a rally the past few years will be receiving this same message.

I'll be here for the rally this year! Would love to see everyone again.

Safe riding!
Lemuel

Mountain Guzzi Rally Schedule
Pipestem Resort State Park
Pipestem West Virginia
12th Annual
September 29 to October 1

Registration and Gathering at Shelter A at Park HQ
(Between Campground and McKeever Lodge)
No rally fee but please register if you have not already

Registration Times
Friday 1 - 4
Saturday 11 - 2
Otherwise at Park HQ office

Meals
Friday Dinner by Carolyn 6 PM
Shelter A 1 Adjacent to Park HQ

Saturday Breakfast
Kirk's in Hinton on the New River 9 AM
Saturday Lunch - on your own

Saturday Dinner
Brandon's starting at 5:30 PM

Sunday Breakfast
McKeever Lodge
Bluestone Dining Room 9 AM
Charlie

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
Re: WV Mountain Guzzi Rally 2017 - Sept. 29th-Oct. 1st
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 05:51:57 AM »
Does arriving on Thursday cause any problems?  I've not been to WV for several years, so this event might be a good exchange for the Okie Campout that has been on the riding schedule.

Edit:  Also, looking at a map, I see that the Interstate south from Charleston to Beckley and beyond is a Toll Road.  Do they use electronic paying on that road: ie, the I-Pass or something similar system, so I don't have to stop and pay with money?  Thanks
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 06:29:11 AM by ChuckH »
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 08:45:01 AM »
Does arriving on Thursday cause any problems?  I've not been to WV for several years, so this event might be a good exchange for the Okie Campout that has been on the riding schedule.

Edit:  Also, looking at a map, I see that the Interstate south from Charleston to Beckley and beyond is a Toll Road.  Do they use electronic paying on that road: ie, the I-Pass or something similar system, so I don't have to stop and pay with money?  Thanks

Can't imagine showing up Thursday being an issue.
Yes, I-77 has EasyPass or one of those systems. Never used it myself though. Even better, if you have the time, get off the interstate. Some of the best riding is through the countryside in WV.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 08:47:14 AM »

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 10:46:00 AM »
Just made my reservation at the Sandman Motel in Hinton. So, who else is going? I know Nick, Ron & Judy Good are. Hoping for a less soggy ride down this year...
Charlie

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 01:15:10 PM »
I'm expecting to be there on Thursday unless this Irma thing causes some serious problems.  My reservation was sent in a few days ago.  I'll be tent camping.

Edit:  No longer tent camping.  Local friend wants to try this rally, so we will be staying in the Sandman Motel in Hinton.  Still expecting to arrive on Thursday, leaving on Sunday.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 08:28:42 AM by ChuckH »
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 08:18:38 PM »
I'm expecting to be there on Thursday unless this Irma thing causes some serious problems.  My reservation was sent in a few days ago.  I'll be tent camping.

I was going to be at a North Carolina beach this week and at Pipestem the 29th - 1st.    That same Irma kicked me out of the beach for this week, so I had to move it to the Pipestem week and won't be able to go.

Nice place, nice roads, I'll be sorry to miss it.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Joe A.

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 12:13:02 PM »
I'm hoping to attend, definitive answer in the next day or two.

Offline ncfromwv

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 03:13:21 PM »
Folks,
I just caught this post and unfortunately won't be able to make the event.  I live in Raleigh and the Wide Open Bluegrass (IBMA) will be in full swing that weekend.  I am a new Guzzi owner, having just bought a Stelvio.  I have a camp in Nicholas County and just finished my first trip.  I love the bike and would like to be able to ride with some fellow West Virginians who are also Guzzi enthusiasts.  A few of us stayed at my camp and rode up around the eastern part of the state, through Seneca Rocks, Petersburg, Moorefield and on up to Shanksville, PA for the 9-11 memorial.  Let me know if you'd be interested in riding some this fall.
Thanks,
Scott H

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 10:30:32 PM »
Heading out first thing in the morning. Looking forward to a weekend away, riding the roads of West Virginia. 
Charlie

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 11:07:39 PM »
 Pics ?

Dusty

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 05:28:14 AM »
Just returned from my annual WV 4 day trip.
7th year.

Good lord, the riding is speculator!  Have fun!
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 08:57:41 AM »
I have "pics", but none really of the "rally". It's not like most rallies where attendees gather someplace, BS, kick tires, etc. About the only times we were all bunched together was at breakfast once and dinner twice. The rest of the time we were off doing our own thing(s). Lemuel took photos during the meals, I don't like doing that.

Anywho, here are a few photos from my trip.

Lunch at my favorite stop on the way south

On Highway 84 near Mill Gap, VA

View of the River from the window under the sink in my room at the Sandman Motel. 

View from the deck of the McKeever Lodge at Pipestem.

Saturday, friends Ron Good, Paul Hanel and I went for a ride down to Paint Bank and had lunch at the Swinging Bridge Restaurant. Here, Ron and Paul are plotting the course for our return trip. 

We had plenty of company. I've never seen so many hi-viz yellow jackets in one place!

Sunday morning around 8. Very cool and foggy. Nick and most everyone else have already departed. Paul and I go have breakfast and depart around 10. Still cool, but perfectly clear by then.

A bunch of old junk I found sitting along the road in Clifton Forge, VA.  :wink: This is at the C&O Railway Heritage Center.

Charlie

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here