Author Topic: October 7th is back. One last ride. The party will go on. How do I write this?  (Read 4453 times)

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
All,
The man responsible for me both riding and being nuts about Moto Guzzis has left us.  My Uncle Calvin passed peacefully at the Muskogee VA hospital this morning at 12:05 AM.  All of us were with him.

How do I write about him and invite his friends to a party at the same time?  How do I tell people that he was a Navy sailor for 20 years, serving in 2 tours of Vietnam, a SEAL instructor, underwater welder, parachute rigger, gunners mate and other duties that he volunteered for has left us?

How do I tell the people that the guy who gave me first Moto Guzzi is no longer going to be one of my riding buddies?  How do I tell people about the guy that believed in me so much that he gave me a small interest free loan to get my business off the ground as a silent partner is not going to be there when I call his number anymore?

I'll never be able to replace him and the mold was truly broken with him. 

However, the party must go on.  His daughter Pam wants us to continue his party/memorial on October 7th in Millerton, Oklahoma. She's going to have it catered and she knows how to throw a party.  We're also going to try and get the Navy Honor Guard to be there with a 21 gun salute.  She wants as many of his Moto Guzzi buddies as possible to be there.  Even though he's not going to be, her wish is to have his buddies share photos and stories about him. We want this to be a fun time. He would not want everyone moping around.

So, Guzzi friends who will be at the Okie campout on Oct 7th...if you feel compelled, please slip off toward Millerton around 10 AM so you'll get there by lunch time and have some catered food, talk shop and share photos and stories about Calvin McKeever.  It'd sure make his 3 daughters very happy to see all of you have fun and tell them about what you might remember of him.  I'd appreciate it too.

I'm going to sticky this because I know there are people who were planning on attending the original surprise ride that I canceled when he got too sick to go home and now we're resurrecting it as a party/memorial. I want everyone to know.

Thanks,
Luap

RIP Buddy. You'll be missed.

Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

oldbike54

So long Calvin .

Dusty

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
I'll be attending the IBA event near Dallas that weekend; I'll try to slip away for a run up to Millerton if I can. It looks like it's just about 2 hours each way, so that should be practical.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline BillinPA

• Gaggle Mentor
So sorry for your loss, I met Calvin a couple times at your early swmo rallies. Great guy.  RIP Cal.

Wildguzzi.com

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
What a wonderful relationship! Value the memories. Wonderful idea to celebrate his life not with tears (which there will be!) but with friends.

Jeff
Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

Offline TRw1

• New Egg
So sorry for your loss.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
My condolences, Luap, and my thanks to your uncle.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Condolences here.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
What a kind and generous man he was. Wish that I had met him.
Your life long memories will see you through every day.
   Good fortune to you, Luap.  R3~ 
BTW: These old bones can't make the trip, but 10/7 is also my birthday. We'll share a toast to Calvin & you.

Offline Beaver

• Gaggle Hero
I am so sorry for your loss, our loss.  He will definitely be missed.

Georganne

MGNOC TX Rep
Lindale, TX

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
My condolences Luap. Clearly a good man, who made his mark. Thanks for sharing this.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
The Ironbutt Association encourages members to take part in a free-form memorial ride each fall - pick the IBA sanctioned ride you wish, and dedicate it to someone or something you wish to commemorate. I am planning to do this on my way to Dallas on the weekend of the event I mentioned.

After thinking about it, I have decided to dedicate my memorial ride to all those who introduced others to motorcycling, and specifically to your Uncle Calvin and my uncle Tony (both vets from the same era, BTW). Each of us gained a notable part of who we are from our respective uncles, and both of us were introduced to riding by them.

If I am successful, I will forward you a copy of the certificate noting this dedication for you to share with your family.
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
The Ironbutt Association encourages members to take part in a free-form memorial ride each fall - pick the IBA sanctioned ride you wish, and dedicate it to someone or something you wish to commemorate. I am planning to do this on my way to Dallas on the weekend of the event I mentioned.

After thinking about it, I have decided to dedicate my memorial ride to all those who introduced others to motorcycling, and specifically to your Uncle Calvin and my uncle Tony (both vets from the same era, BTW). Each of us gained a notable part of who we are from our respective uncles, and both of us were introduced to riding by them.

If I am successful, I will forward you a copy of the certificate noting this dedication for you to share with your family.

Cool idea. I might have to try this someday too.
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
If my eyesight is up to it, count me in. One of my favorite people; he will be missed!!

Offline brownk

• Hatchling
 Dang it another hero gone  rip

kbrown
1990 Cal 3
2007 Norge

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
Dang it another hero gone  rip

kbrown

Yeah. I wanted to come to Mokan, but it wasn't in the cards.
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline mojohand

• Gaggle Hero
So very sorry, Luap.
Richmond, VA, USA
-----
2020 BMW R1250RS
-----
Previous: 2000 Jackal, 04 Breva 750, 06 Breva 1100, 07 Norge, 09 Griso, 12 Norge, 14 FJR, 14 Striple, 16 SpeedTriple, 18 KTM Super Adventure S

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
Truly a great man that I knew from many rallies and he also visited me here at the Oleo Ranch. He always had a smile on his face. RIP.

Tex USN

Offline Dofin

• Gosling
Sounds like your Uncle Calvin was Loved by many and will be missed/remembered in that special way that says he had a life well spent. 
76' Yamaha RD400
76' Suzuki GT500
89' Honda PC800
15' Guzzi V7 Stone

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
We're 6 days out folks.  I'm estimating 50-60 people showing up, so it will be a good time. Let's try to meet at the little gas station in Millerton around 12 so we can all roll into his place together. There'll be a mixture of cars, trucks and bikes so it will be really neat to see and be a part of.

We're having a nice catered lunch around 12-1 PM and then at 3 or so Pam wants us to have a memorial at the Glover cemetery. I know the Guzzi riders will be wanting to head back to the camp out before 3 and I totally understand.

Just know this my Guzzi friends. The times my uncle spent at the camp outs and rallies with you all over the last 20 years or so were truly the best times he's had since his Navy days. I got those words straight from the horses mouth on more than a dozen occasions.  So, to those that knew him and can make it to this small get together, I know he'd have loved it.  He loved it in 2010, and we'll have the scrap book there for those to browse through from that get together.  So, please consider attending if you can and are able. 
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2021 TaoTao TBR7

oldbike54

Luap , is it too early to relate a funny story that Calvin and your dad were involved in 10 years ago ?

Dusty

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
Luap , is it too early to relate a funny story that Calvin and your dad were involved in 10 years ago ?

Dusty

Not at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2021 TaoTao TBR7

oldbike54

Not at all.

OK .

Some years back at the Okie , Calvin and Paul were sitting at a picnic table early Saturday morning. I had wandered over to JN's tent for coffee , and was walking across the camp ground, when Calvin and Paul started calling me Kenny Rodgers , and waving me over . No idea why Kenny Rodgers , but we were laughing about it . Another attendee took offense to our merriment , and began to grumble , claiming people were trying to sleep . Calvin looked at him and said , "shut up and go back into your motor home , we're having fun out here"  :laugh: Maybe you had to be there , but we laughed about that all day  :grin:

Dusty

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
OK .

Some years back at the Okie , Calvin and Paul were sitting at a picnic table early Saturday morning. I had wandered over to JN's tent for coffee , and was walking across the camp ground, when Calvin and Paul started calling me Kenny Rodgers , and waving me over . No idea why Kenny Rodgers , but we were laughing about it . Another attendee took offense to our merriment , and began to grumble , claiming people were trying to sleep . Calvin looked at him and said , "shut up and go back into your motor home , we're having fun out here"  :laugh: Maybe you had to be there , but we laughed about that all day  :grin:

Dusty
Yeah, he never was one to hold in what he was thinking. It worked both ways though. :-)

2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2021 TaoTao TBR7

oldbike54

Yeah, he never was one to hold in what he was thinking. It worked both ways though. :-)

Yes it did , like we talked about earlier , he treated others like they treated him . Well , unless he thought you were an asshat , then he just kinda ignored you  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
condolences to all friends and family.   
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
I'm sorry to hear about Calvin. I'm glad I had an opportunity to have met him a couple times. IF there is something after this, he is no doubt having a good time with several other great Guzzi folks right now.

RIP Calvin.

John Henry
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 05:09:12 AM by Zoom Zoom »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
I think all of us on the forum owe thanks to your Uncle, we benefit from your association with Guzzis.
It's too far for me but I will be thinking of you.

Sent from my shoe phone!
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
Luap...sent you a PM this morning.

Will aim to make it to Millerton on my way up from Houston on Saturday am, please shoot me the address where you will convene for lunch and I'll meet you guys there, and then convoy up to Talihina afterwards.

Cheers.
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
I was pleased to be able to join you, however briefly, to pay my respects and compliments to your uncle and the contribution he made to your family and his country.

I hope the event concluded as well as it began, and that his memory will live on with you all.
ITSecurity
2008 Norge GT - Silver

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here