Author Topic: Virginia Tech motorcycle crash study  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
Re: Virginia Tech motorcycle crash study
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 08:08:03 AM »
Lots of familiar advice in this report. I'd like to add that visually controlling your immediate area, increasing following distances, and care when braking on dissimilar road surfaces (like concrete to asphalt or gravel) are also effective tactics to keep you upright.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 08:28:38 AM »
And from our own experience in observing our surroundings, there's another rider factor besides aggressiveness, inattention, and inexperience that contributes to crashes, and that's drunk riders.

Of course, you couldn't include them in a test like this, but out on the road, it's been the cause of a lot of crashes ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline toolittletime

• Gosling
    • mysportgear.com
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 08:59:13 AM »
Gliderjohn,
Thanks for posting this here. I read over this a few months ago, and was particularly interested in the number of rear end crashes. Much more up to date analysis than the Hurt Report, published in the early 80's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_findings_in_the_Hurt_Report
I have made sure and mention this to every class this summer, in my part time job with MSF.

Tim
X-MSF Instructor
MGNOC 22710
12 Norge
2002 Cali EV
74 Eldorado

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 08:59:13 AM »

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 10:30:58 AM »
Over the years in Wichita there have been quite a few fatal bike wrecks from running into the vehicle ahead. In most cases excessive speed was cited as the cause. I remember one in particular where both the rider and girl friend passenger were killed on a 30mph one way street. They hit the rear of a box truck at an estimated speed of 85mph! Apparently it is much easier to learn to go fast than to stop fast.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 12:38:03 PM »
The last time I crashed, it was my own fault. I almost ran into the car in front of me when the car in front of them suddenly hit the brakes for no apparent reason . I did not realize the city interstate freeway was as slippery as it was and lost the front and back traction on the oily surface.Slid on the left side to within an inch of the bumper. Broke a mirror and a turn signal. That was over ten years ago so hopefully I've learned to increase my following distance and I do practice panic stops. I am scared of getting creamed from behind..
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 04:32:13 PM »
Beware dumb asses are everywhere.
I've been hit from behind 4 times. In one year twice and backed into by a fool that ran the light, saw a cop, and backed up to clear the cross walk. Having had 3 accidents in less that 6 months. I was invited to the NJ driver improvement program. They had a drivers compartment with video, to check risk perception and reflexes. Had brakes, TS, steering wheel. Test results were 1 wrong on the former. Aced the video thing.
They interviewed me. I was told my reflexes were too fast!*% wtf, - - - . I should try tapping my brakes b4 stopping, to warn those following me. 
Stopping in a car @ a stop sign b4 entering I-95N, near New London, CT. I was hit from behind by one of those, now quite old Sporty Volvo coupes. The guy leapt out of his car screaming and cussing at me; 'You're not supposed to stop here'.  R3~   

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 05:19:57 AM »
Gliderjohn,
Thanks for posting this here. I read over this a few months ago, and was particularly interested in the number of rear end crashes. Much more up to date analysis than the Hurt Report, published in the early 80's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_findings_in_the_Hurt_Report
I have made sure and mention this to every class this summer, in my part time job with MSF.

Tim

Is it just me or does anyone else find it ironic that its called the Hurt Report

Good info though that I shall read more fully as its new to me over here on the UK
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 10:14:10 AM »
Is it just me or does anyone else find it ironic that its called the Hurt Report

Good info though that I shall read more fully as its new to me over here on the UK

The professor that did the study was named H. Hurt.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 12:05:22 AM »
It's pretty much a given: If I go arse over monkeys, there will be witnesses.... :embarrassed:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 12:14:48 AM »
The professor that did the study was named H. Hurt.

I appreciate that Wayne and that was the irony to my mind
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here